Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: zug
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
christianugez009 has no particular reputation at present
halloween-where to trick or treat

hello, New to Zug and working here temporarily, have family visiting from UK for half term, have 4 years old and a 6 year old, wondering where we can go trick or treating? Is this popular here? Where can we go? Will we be the only people dressd up???

Your help is really appreicated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

It's not really big here but I know of a few expat families that trick or treat among their own houses. I don't think the Swiss like random kids ringing on the doorbell asking for sweets.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,193
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,170 Times in 7,336 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Halloween is not a Swiss thing, so celebrations are very much area-dependent.

If you live in an area with a lot of Americans or Brits, you might find a few families hosting parties or who are willing to have kids come by trick or treating.

But if you live in an area that is mostly Swiss, tread carefully. There has been a backlash against 'imported culture' lately, and many people take umbrage against Halloween for this reason. Also, ringing doorbells after dark, disturbing people's 'Nachtruhe' is a crime worthy of deportation in many neighborhoods . I'm only half joking.

I would only go trick or treating by pre-arrangement. For the kiddie's sake, to avoid disappointment as well as a tongue-lashing, DO NOT go trick or treating 'randomly'. Talk to your neighbors, to other parents in the area, see what the norm will be.

That said, because I'm an American I get a handful of trick or treaters every year - largely, I think, because people know that there is a good chance that I enjoy seeing the little 'uns having fun.

Happy Halloween!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:32
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,921
Groaned at 362 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,965 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

It's not a holiday/event here. November 1st is a religious holiday (All Hallows Day in UK, All Saints Day here in Switzerland) in some cantons - Fribourg is one and also Zug - therefore there are special church services on the evening of the 31st October as well as on 1st November. So no, Halloween isn't a done thing here. Expats may be having parties, but that's about it. And the Swiss certainly won't take kindly to you knocking on their doors expecting sweets!

If you want to do Halloween, go to America.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Medea Fleecestealer for this post:
  #5  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:37
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,241
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

although it isn't nearly as big as it is in the states, here in lausanne we have always had trick or treaters and my son has always gone with his friends and returned with candy- and quite a few francs. and it's always been swiss kids as we don't know many expats around here. even the neighbors who don't celebrate have been happy to rustle up a few francs to give to the kids and they have had smiles at the costumes and excitement the kids have. again, it's not so big here but it does exist and it seems the people we've seen here quite like it

so if you need to know where, i guess the answer would be lausanne
__________________
'there isn't enough of anything as long as we live.
but at intervals a sweetness appears and, given a chance prevails'
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:44
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Several of my neighbors are prepared in case kids come by. Some others don't seem too enthusiastic about it (OK, I know of one neighbor who doesn't want the bell ringing after her kids go to bed. I told her I told my kids to go and ring 10x at her door , besides, the kids are going around 6:30 pm, and even her kids aren't in bed that early) ...my kids will go with some of their friends to some houses/apartments in the neighborhood.

Quote:
View Post
It's not a holiday/event here. November 1st is a religious holiday (All Hallows Day in UK, All Saints Day here in Switzerland) in some cantons - Fribourg is one and also Zug - therefore there are special church services on the evening of the 31st October as well as on 1st November. So no, Halloween isn't a done thing here. Expats may be having parties, but that's about it. And the Swiss certainly won't take kindly to you knocking on their doors expecting sweets!

If you want to do Halloween, go to America.
My son's (Swiss) kindergarten is having a party and the kids can come dressed up. But yeah, it is just in America...

BTW, didn't it originate in Ireland? Or other Celtic nations?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:58
Sudo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 105
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 41 Posts
Sudo is considered knowledgeableSudo is considered knowledgeableSudo is considered knowledgeable
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

I didn't know it was celebrated here until a group of 10 kids showed up on my doorsteps last year..

So I dived in the supply closed and luckily found a nice selection of sweets to hand them out. They looked very hapy so I think I did it well.

This year I'm prepared. They better come, otherwise I have to eat al that stuff myself
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sudo for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 30.10.2013, 16:59
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,921
Groaned at 362 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,965 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Yes, basically Celtic harvest festivals which have been Christianized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallowe...elsh_influence
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.10.2013, 17:17
M_McPoyle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ZG
Posts: 343
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,138 Times in 283 Posts
M_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post

If you want to do Halloween, go to America.
I don't know about that. This is our third halloween here and we each year had several options for parties and trick or treating. Certainly, there is much more of a "presence" of halloween than when I was first here about a decade ago. I fully understand if some or even all of the swiss don't like this infiltration of a foreign (worse, North American) holiday in all its marketing glory, but it is a hard one to fight against. Nothing captures kids' imagination like the concept of a holiday that involves dressing in costumes, wandering the neighborhood after dark, shouting for (and getting) a mass amount of candy. And, as for the adults - well, its a good excuse to wear costumes of questionable taste, get a little or a lot tipsy and act a bit of a fool with impunity. Anyway, maybe this is the one holiday worth letting slip through the cultural barriers? Judging by the reaction of the swiss kids in my daughter's kindergarten it is already happening....

Last edited by M_McPoyle; 30.10.2013 at 17:19. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank M_McPoyle for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 30.10.2013, 17:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 715
Groaned at 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 456 Times in 217 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Have a look at jucker farms website. They have an event for kids.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.10.2013, 17:23
purple7374's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 152
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 83 Times in 65 Posts
purple7374 has earned some respectpurple7374 has earned some respect
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post
I didn't know it was celebrated here until a group of 10 kids showed up on my doorsteps last year..

So I dived in the supply closed and luckily found a nice selection of sweets to hand them out. They looked very hapy so I think I did it well.

This year I'm prepared. They better come, otherwise I have to eat al that stuff myself
Some kids of our neighbourhood also showed up at our doorstep last year with us not beeing prepared at all. OH rushed to the kitchen and got some sweets. This year we thought we would prepare as well and bought some sweets but I already ate all of them (the sweets of course) so have to go back to the shops

Last edited by purple7374; 30.10.2013 at 17:26. Reason: clarification of 'them'
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank purple7374 for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 30.10.2013, 17:50
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,921
Groaned at 362 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,965 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post
I don't know about that. This is our third halloween here and we each year had several options for parties and trick or treating. Certainly, there is much more of a "presence" of halloween than when I was first here about a decade ago. I fully understand if some or even all of the swiss don't like this infiltration of a foreign (worse, North American) holiday in all its marketing glory, but it is a hard one to fight against. Nothing captures kids' imagination like the concept of a holiday that involves dressing in costumes, wandering the neighborhood after dark, shouting for (and getting) a mass amount of candy. And, as for the adults - well, its a good excuse to wear costumes of questionable taste, get a little or a lot tipsy and act a bit of a fool with impunity. Anyway, maybe this is the one holiday worth letting slip through the cultural barriers? Judging by the reaction of the swiss kids in my daughter's kindergarten it is already happening....
Yeah, it never used to be in the UK either, but that's no reason to import the damn thing. They'll get no joy knocking on my door!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 30.10.2013, 17:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,247
Groaned at 118 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 6,550 Times in 2,299 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

I had random kids show up in front of my apartment last year, I felt quite bad because I don't have sweets in the house and won't have this year. But I was a little annoyed that someone had just let them in - these were young kids but the potential for vandalism (as seems sadly one interpretation of trick or treat around here) with older ones is still there. I think it would make sense for a street in a village to get together and do it properly, if they were so inclined. But Halloween is generally not a "thing" here. And it really doesn't help that some youths (goodness, I sound ANCIENT) see it as an opportunity to break stuff.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 30.10.2013, 18:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post
I had random kids show up in front of my apartment last year, I felt quite bad because I don't have sweets in the house and won't have this year. But I was a little annoyed that someone had just let them in - these were young kids but the potential for vandalism (as seems sadly one interpretation of trick or treat around here) with older ones is still there. I think it would make sense for a street in a village to get together and do it properly, if they were so inclined. But Halloween is generally not a "thing" here. And it really doesn't help that some youths (goodness, I sound ANCIENT) see it as an opportunity to break stuff.
Provide a selection of veg sticks and fruit. They won't be back next year...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 30.10.2013, 19:00
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it never used to be in the UK either, but that's no reason to import the damn thing. They'll get no joy knocking on my door!

Boy, you sound like a laugh a minute, there...let me guess, your favorite Dr. Suess book is the Grinch


Quote:
View Post
I had random kids show up in front of my apartment last year, I felt quite bad because I don't have sweets in the house and won't have this year. But I was a little annoyed that someone had just let them in - these were young kids but the potential for vandalism (as seems sadly one interpretation of trick or treat around here) with older ones is still there. I think it would make sense for a street in a village to get together and do it properly, if they were so inclined. But Halloween is generally not a "thing" here. And it really doesn't help that some youths (goodness, I sound ANCIENT) see it as an opportunity to break stuff.
Good thing you didn't grow up in our neck of the woods - there was egg throwing and tp-ing of trees/houses (toilet papering) and other juvenile behavior on Halloween. Once in a while, something possibly did get broken. Oh, and the smash the pumpkin game was a popular one!

Last edited by drmom; 30.10.2013 at 19:29.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank drmom for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 30.10.2013, 19:01
M_McPoyle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ZG
Posts: 343
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,138 Times in 283 Posts
M_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond reputeM_McPoyle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it never used to be in the UK either, but that's no reason to import the damn thing. They'll get no joy knocking on my door!
Guess whose house is getting egged this year
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank M_McPoyle for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 30.10.2013, 19:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post
Guess whose house is getting egged this year
Round by where my mum lives in the UK, the favoured "tricks" over Hallowe'en are ripping off your windscreen wipers, pushing dog poo through your letter box or torching your potting shed. Little darlings that they are...

Busy night for the boys in blue.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 30.10.2013, 19:06
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,302
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

We just used to go banger raiding.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 30.10.2013, 19:12
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,130
Groaned at 262 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 13,791 Times in 4,211 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

I plan on handing out secret wiretapping devices on Halloween. Gotta keep those American traditions going.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 30.10.2013, 19:13
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,241
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it never used to be in the UK either, but that's no reason to import the damn thing. They'll get no joy knocking on my door!
aw. it's a fun time for letting kids be kids and for those adults who enjoy it to take pleasure in that... pretend you're not home i totally understand that if you aren't into it- but i don't see it as an importation so much as filling a need for (finally) a bit of festivity and enjoy of children ( and fun!) in a way-too-serious culture.

it's okay i like to give goodies and i really love seeing them come to the door excited and happy to dress up. it's one of those things i'm happy to see here- and it seems (at least here) some others are too.
__________________
'there isn't enough of anything as long as we live.
but at intervals a sweetness appears and, given a chance prevails'
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amaraya for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trick or Treat - give me something good to eat olygirl General off-topic 3 01.11.2012 14:56
Halloween Trick or Treating in Geneva?? mullenb Family matters/health 21 05.10.2012 09:37
Can I "trick or treat" on Halloween? AngelB Daily life 75 01.11.2011 10:24
Trick or treaters? [Halloween] Guest Daily life 61 30.10.2008 22:20
Trick or treat grynch Daily life 28 02.11.2007 07:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0