Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4721  
Old 18.10.2018, 15:33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 447
Groaned at 62 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,208 Times in 680 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

People starting comments on forums with "You do realise that XXX?", when XXX is something they've probably just looked up themselves on the internet!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Reb77Br for this useful post:
  #4722  
Old 18.10.2018, 15:36
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,018
Groaned at 101 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 19,962 Times in 8,847 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
People starting comments on forums with "You do realise that XXX?", when XXX is something they've probably just looked up themselves on the internet!
"A lot of people don’t know that." - A stable genius.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #4723  
Old 18.10.2018, 16:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8,757
Groaned at 322 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 20,102 Times in 7,021 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
People starting comments on forums with "You do realise that XXX?", when XXX is something they've probably just looked up themselves on the internet!

What's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #4724  
Old 18.10.2018, 18:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,722
Groaned at 104 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 13,478 Times in 5,487 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Yes, k_and_e, I was wondering that, too.

If I ask a question about something for which I don't even know the right searchwords to google the answer myself, I'm delighted if someone else, who knows better than I do, is kind enough to google it for me. If they then provide a part of the puzzle, and that helps met move along to unravelling the next bit, then it doesn't really matter to me whether they knew it all along, or have only just learnt it through their superior googling.
Reply With Quote
  #4725  
Old 19.10.2018, 13:59
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,257
Groaned at 179 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

The British Gas "on hold music" is stuck in my head after about four hours and 9 seperate calls to various call centres dotted around the Globe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
  #4726  
Old 19.10.2018, 14:44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 447
Groaned at 62 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,208 Times in 680 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
What's wrong with that?
Quote:
View Post
Yes, k_and_e, I was wondering that, too.

If I ask a question about something for which I don't even know the right searchwords to google the answer myself, I'm delighted if someone else, who knows better than I do, is kind enough to google it for me. If they then provide a part of the puzzle, and that helps met move along to unravelling the next bit, then it doesn't really matter to me whether they knew it all along, or have only just learnt it through their superior googling.
"You do realise that XXX?" sounds to me, in the same way as "Don't you realise that XXX?", that the speaker/poster it is implying that "you" are uninformed and should have known XXX, i.e. that "you" are a bit thick while "I" am knowledgeable. It doesn't seem to me to be simply a provision of information, otherwise the person could just post XXX without that intro. I've seen it a few times on forums and wonder if the people posting it would really say it out loud if conversing with someone, or would choose something less hoity toity (to my ear, at least!), like "I've heard that XXX" or "I read that XXX".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Reb77Br for this useful post:
  #4727  
Old 19.10.2018, 15:29
VenusC's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 364
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 566 Times in 230 Posts
VenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Opening scene: Skipped home for lunch like the 'singing in the rain' guy clutching a big liver sausage. Somehow i saw it and i just wanted it!

The denouement: after half an hour of careful cooking in 80 degrees water, a plate with bread and condiments at the ready... The sausage exploded...
My life is ruined, i hate the world, i ain't cleaning the mess up!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VenusC for this useful post:
  #4728  
Old 19.10.2018, 15:53
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,602
Groaned at 2,592 Times in 1,849 Posts
Thanked 39,700 Times in 18,715 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
Opening scene: Skipped home for lunch like the 'singing in the rain' guy clutching a big liver sausage. Somehow i saw it and i just wanted it!

The denouement: after half an hour of careful cooking in 80 degrees water, a plate with bread and condiments at the ready... The sausage exploded...
My life is ruined, i hate the world, i ain't cleaning the mess up!
At least it wasn't a blood sausage!

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4729  
Old 19.10.2018, 15:56
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,257
Groaned at 179 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
The British Gas "on hold music" is stuck in my head after about four hours and 9 seperate calls to various call centres dotted around the Globe.
After another excruciating two hours of being put on hold at a call center in South Africa (I wanted to explain how Kafkaesque it was, but thought better as I sounded like a South African racist and derogatory term) Banging my head repeatedly on the desk. I managed to explain my need for an engineer to visit my flat in the UK and to call somebody else to arrange the visit, that wasn't going to be me, no I don't live in the UK, and what oh you live in Switzerland how nice

*Clonk clonk clonk* The sound of head on wood.
Reply With Quote
  #4730  
Old 19.10.2018, 20:08
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
After another excruciating two hours of being put on hold at a call center in South Africa (I wanted to explain how Kafkaesque it was, but thought better as I sounded like a South African racist and derogatory term) Banging my head repeatedly on the desk. I managed to explain my need for an engineer to visit my flat in the UK and to call somebody else to arrange the visit, that wasn't going to be me, no I don't live in the UK, and what oh you live in Switzerland how nice

*Clonk clonk clonk* The sound of head on wood.
So you want a South African engineer to go to the UK to solve a problem you don't have in Switzerland?
Sounds like you were very bored and decided to create a FWP to report on EF as you lacked an actual problem?
Reply With Quote
  #4731  
Old 19.10.2018, 20:22
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
After another excruciating two hours of being put on hold at a call center in South Africa (I wanted to explain how Kafkaesque it was, but thought better as I sounded like a South African racist and derogatory term) Banging my head repeatedly on the desk. I managed to explain my need for an engineer to visit my flat in the UK and to call somebody else to arrange the visit, that wasn't going to be me, no I don't live in the UK, and what oh you live in Switzerland how nice

*Clonk clonk clonk* The sound of head on wood.
Quote:
View Post
So you want a South African engineer to go to the UK to solve a problem you don't have in Switzerland?
Sounds like you were very bored and decided to create a FWP to report on EF as you lacked an actual problem?
Now now! It must have been Whackhead Simpson’s prank call. Now it all makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #4732  
Old 19.10.2018, 20:24
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Struggling on detox diet, I have stopped drinking dry red wine. Now I have to drink red grape juice to cheat my system. That’s tough.
Reply With Quote
  #4733  
Old 19.10.2018, 20:32
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,483
Groaned at 92 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 20,004 Times in 8,851 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
Struggling on detox diet, I have stopped drinking dry red wine. Now I have to drink red grape juice to cheat my system. That’s tough.
What do you need to detox? Kidneys and liver not functioning well?
Reply With Quote
  #4734  
Old 19.10.2018, 20:37
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
What do you need to detox? Kidneys and liver not functioning well?
Thx for asking. None of the above. All is in perfect order, just trying to break certain bad habits that have been ongoing for much too long. Nothing serious to worry about, merely to improve fitness and stamina.

Last edited by jacek; 19.10.2018 at 21:00.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #4735  
Old 19.10.2018, 21:57
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,257
Groaned at 179 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
So you want a South African engineer to go to the UK to solve a problem you don't have in Switzerland?
Sounds like you were very bored and decided to create a FWP to report on EF as you lacked an actual problem?
It’s a first world problem when call Centers are outsourced to developing nations and the people in those call centers seem incapable of solving a simple problem. The worst part is it’s all about profit margins and not about customer service. I sort of get the feeling I was massively trolled by British Gas.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
  #4736  
Old 19.10.2018, 23:20
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Greasy Spoons.
Reply With Quote
  #4737  
Old 20.10.2018, 17:53
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,248
Groaned at 46 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

I've eaten too much cheese and onion pie... again.

I'm also out of custard powder.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #4738  
Old 20.10.2018, 18:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,684
Groaned at 406 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 6,504 Times in 2,988 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Quote:
View Post
I've eaten too much cheese and onion pie... again.

I'm also out of custard powder.
Double that, and increase it by lack of Cheetos.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #4739  
Old 23.10.2018, 15:41
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

Started to watch "escape to the country" again lately.
What's up with the limited vocabulary? I can't stand "it's got so much character" anmore.
Reply With Quote
  #4740  
Old 30.11.2018, 11:25
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The First World Problem Thread

My electric toothbrush died on me. Over night.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A solution to the salary thread problem NotAllThere Forum support 5 22.04.2011 12:26
The FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa thread PaddyG Football/sports 44 10.06.2010 11:32
The World's First Legally Genderless Person chiguy General off-topic 26 22.03.2010 11:56
The world's first zero-starred hotel. RetiredInNH Travel/day trips/free time 26 30.09.2009 00:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0