Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 5
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
expat2014 has no particular reputation at present
What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment.

If someone more experienced would be so kind to look at this:

Company X issued facture and sent me mail that said if i dont pay until 26.12.2013 they would forward matters to intrum justitia (debt collector)
although i paid the facture immediatelly on 21.12.2014 and have a proof of that (paper from post with stamp when i paid),

Company X still forwarded already settled facture to intrum justititia, which now says that they acknowledge that i paid the facture but they demand
145 chf because they think its their cost to treat the matter

I have email from Company X that says explicitly that they forward to intrum justitia if i dont pay until 26.12.2013

Now ain't that cute? If someone would be so kind to tell me what can be done and how i would be really happy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:12
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,940
Groaned at 285 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 15,428 Times in 8,573 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
If someone more experienced would be so kind to look at this:

Company X issued facture and sent me mail that said if i dont pay until 26.12.2013 they would forward matters to intrum justitia (debt collector)
although i paid the facture immediatelly on 21.12.2014 and have a proof of that (paper from post with stamp when i paid),

Company X still forwarded already settled facture to intrum justititia, which now says that they acknowledge that i paid the facture but they demand
145 chf because they think its their cost to treat the matter

I have email from Company X that says explicitly that they forward to intrum justitia if i dont pay until 26.12.2013

Now ain't that cute? If someone would be so kind to tell me what can be done and how i would be really happy.
Tell them to bugger off Company X needs to pay them......
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:16
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,197
Groaned at 105 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 5,668 Times in 3,199 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

You have a proof of payment on time so they can go fly a kite, AFIK.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:27
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Company X is the only one that can clear your name, which is important as many people rely on the opinions of Intrum Justice (Latin: "enter justice" !!)

Write to company X and ask them nicely to clear your reputation with Intrum Justice. Tell them you are legally insured, and would prefer the matter to be quietly sorted.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:32
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,940
Groaned at 285 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 15,428 Times in 8,573 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
Company X is the only one that can clear your name, which is important as many people rely on the opinions of Intrum Justice (Latin: "enter justice" !!)

Write to company X and ask them nicely to clear your reputation with Intrum Justice. Tell them you are legally insured, and would prefer the matter to be quietly sorted.
Have you a link to confirm what you say? This is a company your talking about.....

Why say you have insurance if you don't, not good advice if you advise me. The worst they can do is take you to court & get nothing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:40
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,197
Groaned at 105 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 5,668 Times in 3,199 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

I doubt it Justitia would bother to go to court knowing you have all the proof. To do exactly what lose the case and pay costs of proceedings? But this is CH afterall, so you never know
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:55
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
Have you a link to confirm what you say? This is a company your talking about.....

Why say you have insurance if you don't, not good advice if you advise me. The worst they can do is take you to court & get nothing.
The problem is the Intrum Justice has no more legal power than you or I, but employers and lenders do respect their opinions. Only company X can remove the bad report on the file held by Intrum Justice, and they need to be motivated to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:57
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,940
Groaned at 285 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 15,428 Times in 8,573 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
The problem is the Intrum Justice has no more legal power than you or I, but employers and lenders do respect their opinions. Only company X can remove the bad report on the file held by Intrum Justice, and they need to be motivated to do so.
I always thought people ask for a print out from the debt office in CH.......never heard of anyone asking for Intrum Justice opinion.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 15.01.2014, 23:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 5
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
expat2014 has no particular reputation at present
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Long story short on last facture of company X, it is explicitly written that:

dernier delai (last date to pay) is 25.12.2013 and if not they give it to intrum justitia. this date is written everywhere even on the Versement thingie that you keep when you pay it.

i paid 21.12.2013 immediatelly sent a photo of paid facture to company X.

Still intrum justitia sents letter which states that they are ok with the fact that i paid the company they state it as -150 chf on their facture but they still demand another 150 chf because they were treating this matter

aint that cute?

Now what i want to hear if this is even possible if i have proof that i paid on 21.12.2013 ?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at expat2014 for this post:
  #10  
Old 16.01.2014, 00:09
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

After being divorced 5 years, Winterthur decided to come after me for unpaid car insurance premiums. Exactly at this time I was applying for a job in the Swiss security industry, where you needed to be squeaky clean. It took two weeks to persuade Winterthur to write to the Bern Betreibungsamt cancelling the Betreibung, during which time I lost the job.

My ex-wife went back to Britain & decided she didn't need to inform Winterthur that she had sold the car, and didn't need insurance, but Winterthur just added up the debt owed, and then sued me. I also had a claim from something similar to Intrum Justice, after a dentist in Bern was owed money by her. I called the dentist and the secretary didn't want to consider there had been an error. A friend then called the dental practice and persuaded him to remove the complaint. It is a very real problem, and it should not be ignored. It will likely come back to haunt the OP, better to kill it now while memories are fresh.

The OP could also offer to pay interest on the delay in payment. Bills are due to be paid immediately, and most companies give at least 10 days grace, but they do not have to wait for payment, and compensation might be a sweetener.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16.01.2014, 00:18
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,197
Groaned at 105 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 5,668 Times in 3,199 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
Long story short on last facture of company X, it is explicitly written that:

dernier delai (last date to pay) is 25.12.2013 and if not they give it to intrum justitia. this date is written everywhere even on the Versement thingie that you keep when you pay it.

i paid 21.12.2013 immediatelly sent a photo of paid facture to company X.

Still intrum justitia sents letter which states that they are ok with the fact that i paid the company they state it as -150 chf on their facture but they still demand another 150 chf because they were treating this matter

aint that cute?

Now what i want to hear if this is even possible if i have proof that i paid on 21.12.2013 ?
According to your dates, somebody is takings you for a ride or you us? I can accept payment made on 21.12. There was festive season which might have contributed to delay in payment but still it would have arrived on 23 or 24.12.2012. I do not see any explanation why would company X have summoned debt collectors. Something smells here ...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.01.2014, 00:20
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
Long story short on last facture of company X, it is explicitly written that:

dernier delai (last date to pay) is 25.12.2013 and if not they give it to intrum justitia. this date is written everywhere even on the Versement thingie that you keep when you pay it.

i paid 21.12.2013 immediatelly sent a photo of paid facture to company X.

Still intrum justitia sents letter which states that they are ok with the fact that i paid the company they state it as -150 chf on their facture but they still demand another 150 chf because they were treating this matter

aint that cute?

Now what i want to hear if this is even possible if i have proof that i paid on 21.12.2013 ?
Well this has been thrashed out in consumer magazines. You are not liable to Intrum Justitia for a penny of their fees!

Join Beobachter or K-Tipp magazine clubs, or ask a lawyer, but do not pay them!

http://www.beobachter.ch/suche/ Intrum+Justitia

http://www.ktipp.ch/suche/?q=Intrum+Justitia
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.01.2014, 00:25
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
According to your dates, somebody is takings you for a ride or you us? I can accept payment made on 21.12. There was festive season which might have contributed to delay in payment but still it would have arrived on 23 or 24.12.2012. I do not see any explanation why would company X have summoned debt collectors. Something smells here ...
If the payment was made over the post office counter (ie Manual payment, the OP mentions a printed slip as receipt) then the payment would take 4 working days to reach company X account. So paying in on Saturday 21.12.2013 would bring a payment to company X account on Friday 27th or Monday 30th December.

If the payment was made online on Saturday 21st, then it would have been action-ed by the computers on Monday 23rd and the payment would arrive on the account of company X on Tuesday 24th.

Nothing smells. The OP didn't make the payment in the time requested, and will have to pay the price.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.01.2014, 00:48
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,806
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,358 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

I don't understand why no one hasn't stated the obvious. And what I am normally told by when I have been told to pay by a certain date. And even if know one told me, I still would think of it. A payment slip is obviously slower to register then calling the company up, and paying with a credit card.


So if you pay with the pink slip, you get the copy they stamp in front of you, then you hand it back to them at the poste and request them to fax it to the billing number, attention to the person you spoke with and get the proof of the fax going thru.


Except for taxes, I certainly know back on the check system in the US, if a creditor said the last date payment needs to be received by is say the 28th, I certainly don't post it on the 28th and think it is the same thing.


The pink slip is just one form of payment. You can always go directly to the creditor or utility and pay direct, use a credit card, bank transfer.


It's actually the OP's fault. It did not go directly into collections because he did not pay his debt a week or two late. Interim Justia is 3 or more months of non payment. Because the OP waited to the last minute, the collection agency and the people he owes money to are hardly to blame.


Anyways it's not that big of a deal. He will have to pay the charge, which is like 25 to 90 CHF to Interim Justia, and ask who he owed money to have this forgiven, and they almost always do, and have it wiped from any record.


Take this as a learning experience and make a better effort to pay your original bill on time, or in accordance with the agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.01.2014, 11:06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 251
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 85 Posts
Prishe has made some interesting contributions
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

I've had a bill open with Intrum Justicia for 6 years now. I paid the original bill with Intrum Justicia + their interest, and they send me bills every 6 months or so for their "legal fees". As long as the amount for the bill + interest is paid, you're in the clear. Their extra fees are completely illegal. They may threaten to go to poursuites for those "fees" but they won't.

It's kind of amusing though I get some "30% summer sale" bills. I still haven't paid it though.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Prishe for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 16.01.2014, 12:24
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 12,057
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Let's get this clear. You do not have to pay Intrum Justicia anything! You never instructed Intrum Justicia to work for you, and you do not have to pay them a cent!

You have to pay for the original claimant's bill and any moderate interest, to Intrum Justicia if you wish to, but you can also pay the original claimant directly, with the interest.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 16.01.2014, 22:31
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,806
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,358 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
I've had a bill open with Intrum Justicia for 6 years now. I paid the original bill with Intrum Justicia + their interest, and they send me bills every 6 months or so for their "legal fees". As long as the amount for the bill + interest is paid, you're in the clear. Their extra fees are completely illegal. They may threaten to go to poursuites for those "fees" but they won't.

It's kind of amusing though I get some "30% summer sale" bills. I still haven't paid it though.
Can't that put that in at the betreibungsampt?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16.01.2014, 22:37
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,940
Groaned at 285 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 15,428 Times in 8,573 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
Can't that put that in at the betreibungsampt?
Not successfully which is why they don't try. They should bill their client however they probably offered a 'free service'
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 17.01.2014, 08:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 251
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 85 Posts
Prishe has made some interesting contributions
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

Quote:
View Post
Can't that put that in at the betreibungsampt?
They can but I'll just oppose it because the only thing left are their administrative and legal fees, which technically are illegal.

I double checked this with a free legal service with the city of Lausanne, I can't remember who it was, or when I called, they were only open one morning a week. But they are the ones who advised me to just pay the bill + interest and leave the rest open.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.01.2014, 09:32
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 265 Times in 112 Posts
Calvin has an excellent reputationCalvin has an excellent reputationCalvin has an excellent reputationCalvin has an excellent reputation
Re: What can be done? If creditor was paid but intrum justitia still demands payment

You don't have to pay them anything! Art. 27 par. 3 of Debt Collection Act (Bundesgesetz über Schuldbetreibung und Konkurs; http://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classifie...002/index.html) says the following:

Niemand kann verpflichtet werden, einen gewerbsmässigen Vertreter zu bestellen. Die Kosten der Vertretung dürfen nicht dem Schuldner überbunden werden.

Loosely translated, it means that when a creditor uses a debt collection agency he may not pass on the cost for their services to the debtor.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Calvin for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
debt collectors, intrum justitia




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Intrum Justitia? vozdemirler Finance/banking/taxation 18 26.04.2018 14:41
Who are Intrum Justitia?? cbb Finance/banking/taxation 20 09.12.2013 20:18
flat returned but landlord still making demands? dehansen Housing in general 23 10.04.2012 19:59
Facebook Bullying- What can be done? Swisscontent08 Family matters/health 38 20.10.2008 08:50
What can be done before I get my permit? PThibault Permits/visas/government 0 31.01.2007 18:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0