Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.04.2014, 09:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cost of living in Zurich

Hi everyone,

new to this site as I have a potential job offer in Zurich and I am trying to get some unbiased info on the cost of living in Zurich which is where the job is based. I am after a break down of typical monthly costs of living EG :

> Rent
> food
> wi fi access
> utility bills
> commuting (train / tram)
> anything else i may have missed off the above

From what i am reading i know Zurich is expensive however i don't lead an extravagant lifestyle and consider myself budget savvy. The job is a contract role for 2 years (possibly more) and net take home is around 12,000 CHF. I do have a wife and daughter to support back here in the UK (daughter is 2 yrs old).

Based on the figures quoted by the recruitment agency my sums add up ok and i would have a decent amount left over after UK and Zurich bills are paid however i would like to get some figures from a total impartial perspective. This is a huge decision for me to make and i want to make sure it is the correct one.


All thoughts welcome and appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.04.2014, 09:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,870
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

new to this site as I have a potential job offer in Zurich and I am trying to get some unbiased info on the cost of living in Zurich which is where the job is based. I am after a break down of typical monthly costs of living EG :

> Rent
> food
> wi fi access
> utility bills
> commuting (train / tram)
> anything else i may have missed off the above

From what i am reading i know Zurich is expensive however i don't lead an extravagant lifestyle and consider myself budget savvy. The job is a contract role for 2 years (possibly more) and net take home is around 12,000 CHF. I do have a wife and daughter to support back here in the UK (daughter is 2 yrs old).

Based on the figures quoted by the recruitment agency my sums add up ok and i would have a decent amount left over after UK and Zurich bills are paid however i would like to get some figures from a total impartial perspective. This is a huge decision for me to make and i want to make sure it is the correct one.


All thoughts welcome and appreciated
Take home of 144k is huge, are you trolling?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.04.2014, 10:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

Don't understand what trolling means? Sorry
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.04.2014, 10:07
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,217
Groaned at 37 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 16,490 Times in 4,309 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

There's loads of threads on EF about cost of living, use the search function and you'll find all the answers. But don't worry, you'll be earning a hell of a lot more than me, and I have a pretty comfortable life here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.04.2014, 10:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

Just saw definition of trolling. No I am not trolling. Iv read various forums and everyone saying zurich is expensive. I am trying to get some impartial information before I make a huge decision in my life. Apologies if anyone thought I was trolling
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.04.2014, 10:18
SFORelo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 65
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
SFORelo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

For Zurich you could live in a nice one bedroom apartment and cover all of the costs outlined below for a little over 1/3 of what your net take home pay would be.

You missed mandatory healthcare cost from your list (approx 150 - 400 per month depending on the plan you choose)

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

new to this site as I have a potential job offer in Zurich and I am trying to get some unbiased info on the cost of living in Zurich which is where the job is based. I am after a break down of typical monthly costs of living EG :

> Rent
> food
> wi fi access
> utility bills
> commuting (train / tram)
> anything else i may have missed off the above

From what i am reading i know Zurich is expensive however i don't lead an extravagant lifestyle and consider myself budget savvy. The job is a contract role for 2 years (possibly more) and net take home is around 12,000 CHF. I do have a wife and daughter to support back here in the UK (daughter is 2 yrs old).

Based on the figures quoted by the recruitment agency my sums add up ok and i would have a decent amount left over after UK and Zurich bills are paid however i would like to get some figures from a total impartial perspective. This is a huge decision for me to make and i want to make sure it is the correct one.


All thoughts welcome and appreciated
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SFORelo for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.04.2014, 10:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 684
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 240 Times in 170 Posts
minimimi is considered knowledgeableminimimi is considered knowledgeableminimimi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
For Zurich you could live in a nice one bedroom apartment and cover all of the costs outlined below for a little over 1/3 of what your net take home pay would be.

You missed mandatory healthcare cost from your list (approx 150 - 400 per month depending on the plan you choose)
completely agree (you may spend less than 3k as well). of course costs will depend on what you spend.

food: basic - organic
insurance: 100-700 per person
rent: 600-6000
.
.
.

check coopathome.ch, homegate.ch, css.ch (or any other insurance company). comparis.ch is the website for comparisons
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.04.2014, 15:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bonstetten
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
bendelahaye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

Hey, you will be more than fine with 12 000 net/month...

Here are some averages:

> Rent 2000 to 4000, depending on where you decide to live
> food, be prepared to be surprised, easily: 250/week with a family of 1 child
> wi fi access: 100 CHF/month
> utility bills: small, 50 CHF/month
> commuting (train / tram): 90 to 150 CHF/month depending on where you live
> anything else i may have missed off the above

You may want to consider daycare costs, around 3000 CHF/month or 150 CHF/day if your spouse wants to work.

And yes, you need to add healthcare.

I would also add personal liability insurance + housing insurance, around 200 / year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14.04.2014, 15:19
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,583
Groaned at 222 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 21,985 Times in 9,342 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

If you need to ask, you probably can't afford to live here so please go to Basel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14.04.2014, 15:23
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,279
Groaned at 72 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 16,696 Times in 7,564 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

I think folks thought you were trolling because the question has been asked and answered before. These are the first few results using the search function right here on EF.

  1. Advice needed - Salary expectations and cost of living in Zurich (13) 4.Feb.2014
  2. Cost of living in Zurich for family of 4 (24) 15.Jan.2014
  3. What is the Cost of living in Zurich? (107) 1.Jun.2013
  4. Help! Need Info on Salaries vs. Cost of Living in Zurich (22) 16.May.2013
  5. Does my monthly budget (anticipated cost of living) look reasonable? (28) 12.Feb.2013
  6. Need help!! Yet another cost of living query for zurich Switzerland(research done) (39) 5.Sep.2012
  7. Advice ( Cost of living question ) (7) 2.Sep.2012
  8. Need help on cost of living in Zurich (8) 20.Jun.2012
  9. Cost of Living in Zurich? Preparing to move, need an idea of a budget! (16)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14.04.2014, 15:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kusnacht
Posts: 38
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
mkeigs has earned some respectmkeigs has earned some respect
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

Th important this is how much you have left AFTER you pay to support your wife and kids back in the UK. This should give you a number to work with here in Zurich.

Housing costs vary widely (not sure of your standard of living) and whether you have a car also has a big impact (we've managed to live without one quite easily thanks to the amazing public transport here - extra bonus is losing a few pounds walking and biking). You can join the Mobility car rental program if you ever need a car for the day or a few days. Many people swear by Mobility.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.04.2014, 15:48
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,580
Groaned at 269 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 16,482 Times in 7,001 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of living in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

new to this site as I have a potential job offer in Zurich and I am trying to get some unbiased info on the cost of living in Zurich which is where the job is based. I am after a break down of typical monthly costs of living EG :

> Rent
> food
> wi fi access
> utility bills
> commuting (train / tram)
> anything else i may have missed off the above

From what i am reading i know Zurich is expensive however i don't lead an extravagant lifestyle and consider myself budget savvy. The job is a contract role for 2 years (possibly more) and net take home is around 12,000 CHF. I do have a wife and daughter to support back here in the UK (daughter is 2 yrs old).

Based on the figures quoted by the recruitment agency my sums add up ok and i would have a decent amount left over after UK and Zurich bills are paid however i would like to get some figures from a total impartial perspective. This is a huge decision for me to make and i want to make sure it is the correct one.


All thoughts welcome and appreciated
make sure you know where you are getting your net figure from. some people calculate only canton and commune taxes and forget federal tax. others just include tax and forget the other mandatory deductions such as the social security-like deductions and mandatory insurances which are withheld at source.

then there are also the other costs which are not deducted at source but which you have to pay (health insurance, billag, etc.).

for the rest, take a look at the other threads for the rent, food, inet, utilities and commuting costs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
contract, work, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost of living in Zurich for family of 4 lizziemc Daily life 23 15.01.2014 14:33
Cost of living in Zurich? szgdcn Daily life 20 18.07.2010 14:09
Average Cost of Living in Zurich anuragsharma21 Finance/banking/taxation 21 02.12.2009 20:49
Cost of Living in Zurich? wossgui Other/general 20 27.11.2009 09:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0