Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 31.05.2014, 20:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Why? I can find trained staff here who would get paid 30CHF per hour, and come twice a day. Meals can be delivered by our local restaurant for about 16CHF per person. Much much cheaper than an OAP home- again, not in Zurich, not in Geneva, but here- no problem. I could also get staff to come from over the border for much cheaper. I could also exchange care for accommodation for a family, with their own flat, kitchen and bathroom. Even cheaper.

Just checked the NOMAD official site for home care- people on low income pay 10CHF per hour- and then goes up by stages depending on income- people with an income of 80.000+ pay 35 CHF per hour- so 2 hours a day for getting up and help with washing, and help with getting into bed, etc- between 20CHF and 70CHF per day + perhaps a few hours housework at local rates of 20 to 25CHF + a doctor's visit once a month at about 100CHF - I'd say that is VERY reasonable, perso.
There are also lots of volunteer groups who offer to visit to chat, or play cards, or help with the garden, bake, or read to you or with you, etc- all free.

Those of you who only have experience of living in Zurich, Zug, Lausanne/Geneva have a totally distorted idea of what costs are in the rest of CH.
Zurich is NOT Switzerland anymore than London is NOT England or NY is not the USA.

Last edited by Odile; 31.05.2014 at 20:26.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 31.05.2014, 20:47
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Well it depends on how much nursing care is needed.And by trained Staff you maybe mean a Trained nurse ( I can ussure you they get paid alot more than 30 CHF in the hour. And someone to cook and clean.Not to mention medicine etc etc.So lets jack that up to minimum 100 CHF an hour ( all included ). And if you need 24 hour care then you can double that amount.If it was so easy as you think then more people would stay at home. A meal for 16 CHF. Joker.
One month in a home costs around 3700 CHF.( without nursing care)
And nursing costs dont vary much in Switzerland.And whats this with " over the border" stuff. You mean pay a hunger wage. Ha!

Quote:
Why? I can find trained staff here who would get paid 30CHF per hour, and come twice a day. Meals can be delivered by our local restaurant for about 16CHF per person. Much much cheaper than an OAP home- again, not in Zurich, not in Geneva, but here- no problem. I could also get staff to come from over the border for much cheaper. I could also exchange care for accommodation for a family, with their own flat, kitchen and bathroom. Even cheaper.

Just checked the NOMAD official site for home care- people on low income pay 10CHF per hour- and then goes up by stages depending on income- people with an income of 80.000+ pay 35 CHF per hour- so 2 hours a day for getting up and help with washing, and help with getting into bed, etc- between 20CHF and 70CHF per day + perhaps a few hours housework at local rates of 20 to 25CHF + a doctor's visit once a month at about 100CHF - I'd say that is VERY reasonable, perso.
There are also lots of volunteer groups who offer to visit to chat, or play cards, or help with the garden, bake, or read to you or with you, etc- all free.

Those of you who only have experience of living in Zurich, Zug, Lausanne/Geneva have a totally distorted idea of what costs are in the rest of CH.
Zurich is NOT Switzerland anymore than London is NOT England or NY is not the USA.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 31.05.2014, 20:48
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Odile, sorry for being a bit numb, but is health insurance paid by the UK only for those who move to Switzerland after retirement, or also for those who have worked in Switzerland and then remained there after retiring?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 31.05.2014, 20:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

It is only for those retirees from UK who do not have a salary or pension from Switzerland and only UK pensions. When we first came here, OH was 63 having retired at 62. He was drawing his occupational pension but not yet entitled to State pension- so we had to take Swiss Health Insurance (+accident). When he got to 65, we were able to cancel Swiss insurance and arrange everything viy LaMal in Solothurn- and although I was not yet entitled to either professional or State pension- this applied to me too as his dependent. I am now elegible for both state and prof, pension. Although I am Swiss born and bred, I only worked for 6 months in CH, so am not entitled to a Swiss pension (I wish!!! as I lived all my adult life in the UK).

If you have a Swiss income or draw a Swiss pension, then it does not apply. I intended to do residential courses here (French or English + walking, nature, wildlife and flowers, cross-country skiing, etc)- but have not gone ahead for that reason.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:02
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

And if you get sick and need special care? Then where is you budget. Up shit creek.
Quote:
View Post
Thats actually not a lot
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

I've mentioned plan B option for severe illness. If I have to go into hospital or need medical care, it will be covered by health insurance anyhow.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:22
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

The health insurance has its limits and when the limit is reached then you pay out of your own pocket ( if you have it ).
Quote:
I've mentioned plan B option for severe illness. If I have to go into hospital or need medical care, it will be covered by health insurance anyhow.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

What limits- please explain. As far as I know no limit- franchise of 300 and pay 10%.

As said, in Switzerland you have an alternative choice, should you really be struck by something nasty and without issue, thank goodness. Exit membership is (from top of head) about 30CHF per year- very affordable best and cheapest insurance I've ever paid in
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:39
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

If you go into a elderly persons home or a geriatric home and you need extensive nursing then the insurance will not pay beyond a certain limit. Then it comes out of your own pocket. And if you cant pay then you apply for state help.




Quote:
hmmm no, no limit- franchise of 300 and pay 10%.

As said, in Switzerland you have an alternative choice, should you really be struck by something nasty and without issue, thank goodness. Exit membership is (from top of head) about 30CHF per year- very affordable best and cheapest insurance I've ever paid in
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Quote:
What limits- please explain. As far as I know no limit- franchise of 300 and pay 10%.

As said, in Switzerland you have an alternative choice, should you really be struck by something nasty and without issue, thank goodness. Exit membership is (from top of head) about 30CHF per year- very affordable best and cheapest insurance I've ever paid in

Yes, but....i hope people don't turn to EXIT as a solution to a financial issue.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Ah yes- in an OAP home- I know as my parents both were in one- their hard saved money disappeared in a jiffy. Mind you, if you are a Swiss citizen- the State picks up the bill as soon as you've gone down to CHF30.000 (approx) which you are allowed to leave for your children.

But I thought we were talking about being cared for at home- that was the whole point- as I was explaining that depending on circumstances and 'thinking outside the box' it can be very much cheaper. The cost of a room in an OAP home is about the cost of a 4* Hôtel, never mind the care.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:49
Nixi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GR & ZH
Posts: 381
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 260 Times in 148 Posts
Nixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeable
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Exit is CHF 45 pa, or CHF 900 for a lifelong (made me smile, but lebenslang is what they called it) subscription. That's in the Deutschschweiz.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nixi for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:50
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Yes it is better to be cared for at home ( although alot of oldies are isolated at home ) but of course it has its limits according to the ability of the person to look after themselves to a minimum degree.
Home care has its limits-and its usually the financial limits of ones ability to pay.
As I said for a Federer or a Tina Turner then no problem.


Quote:
Ah yes- in an OAP home- I know as my parents both were in one- their hard saved money disappeared in a jiffy.

But I thought we were talking about being cared for at home- that was the whole point- as I was explaining that depending on circumstances and 'thinking outside the box' it can be very much cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 31.05.2014, 21:54
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

well I think the dying process is a learning process and somehow I dont see eye to eye with Exit
Quote:
View Post
Exit is CHF 45 pa, or CHF 900 for a lifelong (made me smile, but lebenslang is what they called it) subscription. That's in the Deutschschweiz.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 31.05.2014, 22:00
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Sorry limits was the wrong word. Certain services the insurance does not pay for.( including the 10 %) And if the costs of these services and the 10% takes all your money then you need assistance from State.But of course if you are at this point then you dont give a f**k anyhow
Quote:
View Post
The health insurance has its limits and when the limit is reached then you pay out of your own pocket ( if you have it ).
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 31.05.2014, 22:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Your choice of course with Exit- for me, it is a huge relief to know it is there and the choice will be mine. Each to their own.

Out of interest, why do you not see 'eye to eye' with it, if you don't mind sharing?

About 'over the border stuff' - if you live very close to the border, as I do, it is perfectly legal to employ someone from France to come and work for you- and a proper wage, legally, is much cheaper, as costs are much cheaper in France. What is the problem with that?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 31.05.2014, 22:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Quote:
Yes, but....i hope people don't turn to EXIT as a solution to a financial issue.
Amen to that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 31.05.2014, 22:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

No of course- and Exit would never agree to help in that case anyhow. The guidelines and checks are very stringent and clear.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 31.05.2014, 22:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Well probably because I don't see suicide as a solution.
Quote:
Your choice of course with Exit- for me, it is a huge relief to know it is there and the choice will be mine. Each to their own.

Out of interest, why do you not see 'eye to eye' with it, if you don't mind sharing?

About 'over the border stuff' - if you live very close to the border, as I do, it is perfectly legal to employ someone from France to come and work for you- and a proper wage, legally, is much cheaper, as costs are much cheaper in France. What is the problem with that?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 31.05.2014, 22:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How much would someone need to retire in Switzerland?

Generally I'd totally agree with you. But if you are struck with a terrible motor-neurone disease, or lose the fight to cancer after years of fighting with all your might- and especially if you are very old- then for some of us, it is not called suicide, but dying with dignity before it is totally robbed of you and the fight is lost.

If you know the only future is dying by suffocation, as you are no longer able to swallow or breathe- a great release.

A choice, not for everyone- but it might be for me, one day. So a great insurance to be a member, just in case. I am a fighter, and still relatively young, in my 60s- but one never knows what is around the corner.

Perhaps you are too young to understand. Or perhaps you have not witnessed the agonising end of loved ones.

Perhaps a discussion for another thread if you wish. And back to the OP.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much you really need to live in Switzerland? aocampox Daily life 134 02.04.2013 23:30
How much money would you need? nigelr Business & entrepreneur 3 07.01.2013 17:28
Opening a can of worms. In Switzerland, how much would you pay for...? nic80 Business & entrepreneur 58 04.11.2011 09:37
How much do I need to live simply in Geneva? yezi Daily life 9 09.09.2010 20:36
how much would it cost (approximately?) [to replace a timing belt on a car] shaf Transportation/driving 8 15.04.2010 16:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0