Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.07.2014, 01:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 28
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
dreamsis has become a little unpopulardreamsis has become a little unpopular
Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

OK,
so it is possibly the city with the highest average salary in the world but isn't Zurich extremely boring?
Comparing to cities like Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Prague, Barcelona...?
Does anybody have an experience from living in one or more of those cities as well as from living in Zurich?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank dreamsis for this useful post:
The following 4 users groan at dreamsis for this post:
  #2  
Old 19.07.2014, 01:34
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,728
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,937 Times in 3,652 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

I suppose it's hard to say unless you've been there. Have you ever been to Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 19.07.2014, 01:53
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,136 Times in 5,438 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

It's no Basel, that's for sure
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 19.07.2014, 02:04
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 316 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 2,127 Times in 928 Posts
treesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthy
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
It's no Basel, that's for sure
And no Lorrach for that matter!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank treesarehalal for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 19.07.2014, 02:06
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,136 Times in 5,438 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
And no Lorrach for that matter!
One of our many suburbs, yes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 19.07.2014, 02:08
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 316 Times in 166 Posts
Thanked 2,127 Times in 928 Posts
treesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthytreesarehalal is considered unworthy
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
One of our many suburbs, yes.
Are you the mayor?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.07.2014, 02:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 28
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
dreamsis has become a little unpopulardreamsis has become a little unpopular
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

I have never ever been in Switzerland but have a cousin in Zurich, so I should visit him soon... ;-)
Reply With Quote
This user groans at dreamsis for this post:
  #8  
Old 19.07.2014, 02:40
manwithnoname's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 461
Groaned at 65 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
manwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond reputemanwithnoname has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

if someone is gonna say that zurich is super exciting will you suddenly discard your prejudices?

so why even ask?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank manwithnoname for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 19.07.2014, 07:38
eddiejc1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derwood, MD USA
Posts: 1,005
Groaned at 22 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 684 Times in 372 Posts
eddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputation
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Boring might not necessarily be bad. After all, the Chinese phrase "May you live in interesting times" is a curse.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19.07.2014, 08:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Watt (Regensdorf)
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 11 Posts
robynn has made some interesting contributions
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

I lived in London for 11 years before moving to the Zurich area last year. And I couldn't wait to come here.

London is indeed exciting – there's so much happening culturally, so many people, so much diversity. It's great for a while. But for me, it became completely overwhelming and exhausting. With so much going on you have no hope of "keeping up" and are constantly frustrated at missing out on things you didn't even realise were happening... or simply have no more energy (or money) for. Plus there's the sheer size of it. Thanks to distances, traffic etc we found it always took an hour to get anywhere, even supposedly in our own patch of London. Visiting friends on the other side of town? That took two hours. So we didn't really feel we were actually in the same city as them, and even going out in the centre of town – the easiest area to get to – was time-consuming and tiring. It became enormously hard work just to live in London, never mind really enjoy it.

In contrast, what I love about Zurich is that it's big enough to be cosmopolitan, but small enough to be manageable. There is still plenty to do here, but you have some hope of keeping up. Getting around is infinitely more pleasant when you're not crowded in with 7 million other people. You can actually enjoy the city life.

This is of course my personal experience and very much a reflection of my own personality – someone who thrives on crowds and constant activity might be very happy in London for decades, and find Zurich lacks stimulation. It's certainly not a hip city. But it doesn't have to be boring.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19.07.2014, 08:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
OK,
so it is possibly the city with the highest average salary in the world but isn't Zurich extremely boring?
Comparing to cities like Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Prague, Barcelona...?
Does anybody have an experience from living in one or more of those cities as well as from living in Zurich?

Life is what you make of it, even millionaires can get bored !
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 19.07.2014, 08:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
Comparing to cities like Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Prague, Barcelona...?
Does anybody have an experience from living in one or more of those cities as well as from living in Zurich?
You can hardly compare those cities among each other in the first place, so let alone with Zürich.

Paris is a little world in itself, if you don't have the keys, you suffer. If you have the keys, you still suffer but you like it.

Hamburg is smaller and less wild than London/Paris-like cities. It is exiting and I definitely prefer Hamburg sex clubs than Paris ones, but you might need something else than the best musical scene on the continent to be happy with culture.

Amsterdam is just stunning, but do you really need that many drunken Brits around you in your life? Avoiding the five-six streets with them is not that hard, I confess, but I still think that one only knows Amsterdam if one truly speaks Dutch. Otherwise, it's just a façade.

Berlin is complex. It's anything you want it to be, from the most boring green outskirts to the best party scene around. But if you neither like to grow your own vegetables nor like taking synthetic drugs, Berlin has less to offer between those too extremes. Berlin is interesting if one keeps up the paste. Depending on your job, you might have the time for it, or not.
__________________
Es wird nichts ausgelassen, um mich hier herauszuekeln. Ein Lehrbuch. False accusations and attacks continue. There is no stopping righteous people when they are wrong.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Faltrad for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 19.07.2014, 10:27
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

One cannot compare Zürich to the cities you list. Its a Zwingli city. Its not extremely boring ,but it is boring and conservative
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 19.07.2014, 10:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Even Genevans say Zurich is THE hip city of Switzerland!

Quote:
View Post
I lived in London for 11 years before moving to the Zurich area last year. And I couldn't wait to come here.

London is indeed exciting – there's so much happening culturally, so many people, so much diversity. It's great for a while. But for me, it became completely overwhelming and exhausting. With so much going on you have no hope of "keeping up" and are constantly frustrated at missing out on things you didn't even realise were happening... or simply have no more energy (or money) for. Plus there's the sheer size of it. Thanks to distances, traffic etc we found it always took an hour to get anywhere, even supposedly in our own patch of London. Visiting friends on the other side of town? That took two hours. So we didn't really feel we were actually in the same city as them, and even going out in the centre of town – the easiest area to get to – was time-consuming and tiring. It became enormously hard work just to live in London, never mind really enjoy it.

In contrast, what I love about Zurich is that it's big enough to be cosmopolitan, but small enough to be manageable. There is still plenty to do here, but you have some hope of keeping up. Getting around is infinitely more pleasant when you're not crowded in with 7 million other people. You can actually enjoy the city life.

This is of course my personal experience and very much a reflection of my own personality – someone who thrives on crowds and constant activity might be very happy in London for decades, and find Zurich lacks stimulation. It's certainly not a hip city. But it doesn't have to be boring.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 19.07.2014, 10:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

From Hamburg' s sex clubs to Berlin "paste" scene (do you lick it or sniff it??), all this world I didn't even know existed! What a journey of exciting discoveries this forum takes us on daily!

Quote:
View Post
You can hardly compare those cities among each other in the first place, so let alone with Zürich.

Paris is a little world in itself, if you don't have the keys, you suffer. If you have the keys, you still suffer but you like it.

Hamburg is smaller and less wild than London/Paris-like cities. It is exiting and I definitely prefer Hamburg sex clubs than Paris ones, but you might need something else than the best musical scene on the continent to be happy with culture.

Amsterdam is just stunning, but do you really need that many drunken Brits around you in your life? Avoiding the five-six streets with them is not that hard, I confess, but I still think that one only knows Amsterdam if one truly speaks Dutch. Otherwise, it's just a façade.

Berlin is complex. It's anything you want it to be, from the most boring green outskirts to the best party scene around. But if you neither like to grow your own vegetables nor like taking synthetic drugs, Berlin has less to offer between those too extremes. Berlin is interesting if one keeps up the paste. Depending on your job, you might have the time for it, or not.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 19.07.2014, 11:32
lucy_who's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 643
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,002 Times in 384 Posts
lucy_who has a reputation beyond reputelucy_who has a reputation beyond reputelucy_who has a reputation beyond reputelucy_who has a reputation beyond reputelucy_who has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
OK,
so it is possibly the city with the highest average salary in the world but isn't Zurich extremely boring?
Comparing to cities like Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Prague, Barcelona...?
Does anybody have an experience from living in one or more of those cities as well as from living in Zurich?
No.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lucy_who for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 19.07.2014, 11:54
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
OK,
so it is possibly the city with the highest average salary in the world but isn't Zurich extremely boring?
Comparing to cities like Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Prague, Barcelona...?
Does anybody have an experience from living in one or more of those cities as well as from living in Zurich?
Extremely boring is to hear foreigners talking about Zürich as the city with "the highest average salary in the world". If you correctly calculate the expenses, then, people in Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg and Barcelona are much richer.

Paris, London, Berlin, play in a different league
Amsterdam and Barcelona are beautiful, BUT they are extremely boring if YOU are boring but interesting and entertaining if YOU know how to live and how to enjoy life

Your question is in fact an enormous compliment for Zürich. In the 1950ies, nobody here would have dared to compare Zürich with places like Paris, London, Amsterdam and Barcelona. Paris and London being two "world cities / Weltstädte". That Zürich placed itself among places like München and Milano and Brussels in reality is a success story

Berlin ? For the pre-war generation it was NAZI-centre and for the post-war generation it was the DIVIDED city. People on the radio at times listed to RIAS Berlin which simply was RADIO IM AMERIKANISCHEN SEKTOR. Music and fashion DID happen in WEST Berlin, an isolated island surrounded by the German Democratic Republic
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 19.07.2014, 12:05
Bozza's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 535
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 193 Posts
Bozza has earned some respectBozza has earned some respect
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

Quote:
View Post
OK,
so it is possibly the city with the highest average salary in the world but isn't Zurich extremely boring?
Comparing to cities like Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Prague, Barcelona...?
Does anybody have an experience from living in one or more of those cities as well as from living in Zurich?
No!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Bozza for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 19.07.2014, 12:15
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

zürich has no street life-musicians,stalls,markets etc
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19.07.2014, 12:17
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,197
Groaned at 49 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,416 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Isn't Zurich extremely boring?

. . . Apparently it has many peers and, according to this article, it did not get the coveted No. 1 ranking. That of course went to Brussels.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
berlin, london, paris, switzerland, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tell me the truth - is Zurich boring? elizabeth37 Daily life 97 06.09.2021 20:35
Zürich isn't boring...or is it? O_o living_swiss Daily life 32 28.07.2013 22:22
Finnish article about boring Zurich... poptart Daily life 57 23.12.2012 21:27
Boring boring swiss village Valeria Sophie Introductions 17 12.11.2012 10:29
Zurich voted second most boring city ... HashBrown Daily life 91 27.03.2008 10:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0