Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 30.08.2016, 09:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,384
Groaned at 221 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 7,921 Times in 4,276 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
Those darn Swiss are resistant to being influenced. They are not in EU. Hardly got them to join the UN. How exactly does one influence a Swiss? Why don't you share your own experience?
I take it the thread's title was humorously meant to be a parody after that self-help book by Dale Carnegie....it must be that because everybody knows the Swiss can't be influenced!!!

But yeah, good question.
(moreover, why? but that's just me)
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 30.08.2016, 10:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
Those darn Swiss are resistant to being influenced. They are not in EU. Hardly got them to join the UN. How exactly does one influence a Swiss? Why don't you share your own experience?


CH is a full member of the COUNCIL OF EUROPE and heaps of other European organisations. CH signed the first Bilaterals with Emperor Wilhelm II on his visit here in 1912 /stiill valid) and 3 rail stations ---- Schaffhausen 40% , Kreuzlingen 80 & and Basel Bad Bhf 100% -- are partially German. While the rail Station of Chiasso is 50 % Italian. lots of doctors and uni-professors in the past 150 years were Germans as were poets and Music Composers like Wagners --- and also English and Irish writers like James Joyce had tremendous influence . Italian trades Unionist Benito Mussolini had leading functions in the trades Union movement. Vladimir Ulyanov Lenin . a perfect German speaker, gave speeches in the Volkshaus, the Cooperativo and spoke with many people in the Odeon. Look at the CICs. Henri Dufour grew up in Konstanz. Ulrich Wille was a Prussian and educated in the Military Academy in Berlin and Henri Guisan studied in Stuttgart. And Winston Churchill his famous speech at Zürich University
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 30.08.2016, 10:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,384
Groaned at 221 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 7,921 Times in 4,276 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
CH is a full member of the COUNCIL OF EUROPE and heaps of other European organisations. CH signed the first Bilaterals with Emperor Wilhelm II on his visit here in 1912 /stiill valid) and 3 rail stations ---- Schaffhausen 40% , Kreuzlingen 80 & and Basel Bad Bhf 100% -- are partially German. While the rail Station of Chiasso is 50 % Italian. lots of doctors and uni-professors in the past 150 years were Germans as were poets and Music Composers like Wagners --- and also English and Irish writers like James Joyce had tremendous influence . Italian trades Unionist Benito Mussolini had leading functions in the trades Union movement. Vladimir Ulyanov Lenin . a perfect German speaker, gave speeches in the Volkshaus, the Cooperativo and spoke with many people in the Odeon. Look at the CICs. Henri Dufour grew up in Konstanz. Ulrich Wille was a Prussian and educated in the Military Academy in Berlin and Henri Guisan studied in Stuttgart. And Winston Churchill his famous speech at Zürich University
Thank you Wolli, I knew I could count on you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 30.08.2016, 11:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,161
Groaned at 160 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,572 Times in 3,375 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
Those darn Swiss are resistant to being influenced. They are not in EU. Hardly got them to join the UN. How exactly does one influence a Swiss? Why don't you share your own experience?
The same as mice: With cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 30.08.2016, 11:53
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,257
Groaned at 1,172 Times in 917 Posts
Thanked 25,155 Times in 12,043 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
CH is a full member of the COUNCIL OF EUROPE and heaps of other European organisations. CH signed the first Bilaterals with Emperor Wilhelm II on his visit here in 1912 /stiill valid) and 3 rail stations ---- Schaffhausen 40% , Kreuzlingen 80 & and Basel Bad Bhf 100% -- are partially German. While the rail Station of Chiasso is 50 % Italian. lots of doctors and uni-professors in the past 150 years were Germans as were poets and Music Composers like Wagners --- and also English and Irish writers like James Joyce had tremendous influence . Italian trades Unionist Benito Mussolini had leading functions in the trades Union movement. Vladimir Ulyanov Lenin . a perfect German speaker, gave speeches in the Volkshaus, the Cooperativo and spoke with many people in the Odeon. Look at the CICs. Henri Dufour grew up in Konstanz. Ulrich Wille was a Prussian and educated in the Military Academy in Berlin and Henri Guisan studied in Stuttgart. And Winston Churchill his famous speech at Zürich University
You're slipping, Wolli, you forgot Hermann Hesse (who is buried within spitting distance of my in-laws).

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 30.08.2016, 13:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,747
Groaned at 27 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,211 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Emperor Wilhem II and Mussolini... well known for their friendliness, open mind and warmth towards foreigners!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 30.08.2016, 13:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,747
Groaned at 27 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,211 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
I tried to sign up for a hiking group once... That fell apart when it turned out they went hiking at 8am every Sunday.
I do that and my work week is a write off.

It sounds like there's a French/German split with the language too.
When I've lived in other countries people really like it when foreigners try with their language and praise even a few words.... here anything less than perfectly pronounced French is a grave insult that they will refuse to even acknowledge. That killed all of my early enthusiasm for trying to learn the language. I'm sticking to studying a more interesting language.

It's tough, but if you knew how much reprimanding, telling off etc. I got when I first joined my yodel choir, I felt like giving up, wondering if any sense of empathy or warmth would ever be engrained in a Swiss, then I realised they were interacting the same way with each other (quite abrupt, to put it nicely) and that I should not take it personally. I am glad I've persevered, because I am now enjoying true camaraderie and feel totally accepted.


I did not have to change my own interaction, I think they saw that a nice smile and friendliness was a more pleasant way to interact and it's brushing off!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 30.08.2016, 15:45
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
You're slipping, Wolli, you forgot Hermann Hesse (who is buried within spitting distance of my in-laws).

Tom

I ommitted hundreds of visitors like Mendelssohn and NSDAP chief Adolf Htler, invited to the Gottard Hotel by the Wille Clan twice and Freiherr von Goethe
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 30.08.2016, 15:53
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
Emperor Wilhem II and Mussolini... well known for their friendliness, open mind and warmth towards foreigners!


the Boss of Grandmum who was a Brigadier met the emperor personally and was positively impressed and GrandDad, also in Schaffhausen met Benito M at least three times on his way to work, a lazy but friendly and open minded chap, open for a Chat, in spite of GrandDad wearing tie and suit and hat --- alright, both sharing left wing views, GrandDad until 15th December 1955
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 30.08.2016, 16:09
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,257
Groaned at 1,172 Times in 917 Posts
Thanked 25,155 Times in 12,043 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
I ommitted hundreds of visitors like Mendelssohn and NSDAP chief Adolf Htler, invited to the Gottard Hotel by the Wille Clan twice and Freiherr von Goethe
Hesse wasn't a visitor, he was a naturalised Swiss who spent most of his life here!

Speaking of visitors, you forgot Napoleon!

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 01.09.2016, 22:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,747
Groaned at 27 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,211 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
the Boss of Grandmum who was a Brigadier met the emperor personally and was positively impressed and GrandDad, also in Schaffhausen met Benito M at least three times on his way to work, a lazy but friendly and open minded chap, open for a Chat, in spite of GrandDad wearing tie and suit and hat --- alright, both sharing left wing views, GrandDad until 15th December 1955


Whereas nowadays, they really let anyone in...me, for example!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01.09.2016, 22:43
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: directly above center of earth
Posts: 1,268
Groaned at 140 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,344 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
... GrandDad, also in Schaffhausen met Benito M at least three times on his way to work, a lazy but friendly and open minded chap, open for a Chat, in spite of GrandDad wearing tie and suit and hat --- alright, both sharing left wing views, GrandDad until 15th December 1955
Are you referring to this Benito M.?:

"When dealing with such a race as Slavic — inferior and barbarian — we must not pursue the carrot, but the stick policy ... We should not be afraid of new victims ... The Italian border should run across the Brenner Pass, Monte Nevoso and the Dinaric Alps ... I would say we can easily sacrifice 500,000 barbaric Slavs for 50,000 Italians ..."

— Benito Mussolini, speech held in Pula, 20 September 1920
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 01.09.2016, 23:28
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 11,210
Groaned at 122 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 13,399 Times in 6,656 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
Are you referring to this Benito M.?:

"When dealing with such a race as Slavic — inferior and barbarian — we must not pursue the carrot, but the stick policy ... We should not be afraid of new victims ... The Italian border should run across the Brenner Pass, Monte Nevoso and the Dinaric Alps ... I would say we can easily sacrifice 500,000 barbaric Slavs for 50,000 Italians ..."

— Benito Mussolini, speech held in Pula, 20 September 1920
Right. The rest of the Europe sacrificed us in Munich 1938. Not a big difference.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02.09.2016, 23:33
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 767
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 894 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
Buy a motorcycle.

I showed up here 30 years ago with a computer, an electic guitar, and a motorcycle. Met Swiss firends, which I still have, within days.

Computer is long gone (8MHz AT clone), but I added a few more motorcycles, and brought over the rest of my guitars in the meantime.

Tom
Just saw that you distributed a groan. You know, everyone's mileage differs. It would be safe to say that "things have changed" since the 80s and today. As such, I'm not sure why my comment has received your ire...its not as if you are responsible for the way things run.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04.09.2016, 15:44
Justin P's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 27
Groaned at 12 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Justin P has annoyed a few people around hereJustin P has annoyed a few people around hereJustin P has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

In my experience the Swiss are many things.
They are polite and extraordinarily civic-minded. They are nationalistic but the younger generation travel extensively and import an open mindedness the older generation lacks. They are very generous. They are not as naturally warm and inviting as the Mediterranean cultures are. They are hard nuts to crack, they are private, and as a result aren't the easiest people to befriend. With perseverance, however, they can become lifelong friends.

Switzerland is an exceptional country, and like all countries has one or two challenges, but it's a great move - particularly for families.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Justin P for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 05.09.2016, 15:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
UAexpat has no particular reputation at present
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

One thing to keep in mind that there are pros and cons to every culture and mentality. From my experience Swiss might seem less welcoming at first, but if you do make friends (which is doable) you have a good chance of making it last. With other cultures, you might make friends easier, but will not necessarily be anything long-lasting (can go both ways of course, this is just my impression)
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05.09.2016, 15:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,378
Groaned at 504 Times in 331 Posts
Thanked 3,896 Times in 1,872 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
I met really really open Swiss and really really closed ones I also lived in other countries, and same there. Averages may differ, but so do personal experiences, for I happened to meet more of the very open and inviting ones here than in other countries.

I believe that, apart from an average higher or lower openness that one finds, everybody's personal ability to adapt is key. There is people that feels horrible being out of their comfort zone, and they tend to remain at their birthplace and enjoy their culture, relations and traditions at their own country. There is people that adapt easily to anything, they are adventure seekers, so they fly elsewhere as soon as they can and enjoy trying, learning and contemplating difference. Both attitudes are great. Problems arise when people with a traditional profile moves out due to whatever, better work opportunity, a relationship, and they find out they can not adapt, especially to those Swiss that also have a traditional profile. But honestly, the traditional Swiss has done nothing but being at the place where they were born, it is our duty to respect that as we are the ones coming to a different place. Yes, i have heard a local going hard against some newcomers, but I have also been in the situation of hearing an expat complain about not being accepted here and how rigid the culture is towards other customs, but complain on a different conversation that at their home city there are foreigners forcing their culture onto their family

For me, and this is very personal, I can not stop feeling deeply moved by the white Alps in winter, the gorgeous lakes in summer, the million of reds at the woods in Autumn. The fresh air in the morning and the traditional houses at the small villages. The church with its tiny tower and bell, the green grass mount with its perfect tree at the top, the precise landscapes. Even if I had the bad luck of getting to know only the very closed and traditional Swiss guys, I guess I could disconnect as there would still be this awesome natural beauty to enjoy.
LOL...summary of "Switerland is amazing":

Chapter 1: It's all about you, the foreigner, how you should be more open minded, blablabla-

Chapter 2: All I love about CH is the landscape (not the people).



PS: no offense intended, it's just ... interesting opinion.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 05.09.2016, 15:45
suissa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 210
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 157 Times in 80 Posts
suissa has a reputation beyond reputesuissa has a reputation beyond reputesuissa has a reputation beyond reputesuissa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post

Chapter 2: All I love about CH is the landscape (not the people).
That's the bit in excess on your post: chapter 2 in my post goes on top after chapter 1, not independently. I have swiss friends AND even if they weren't there the landscape alone is gorgeous.

I think you disconnected the two parts and understood it differently as intended

Last edited by suissa; 05.09.2016 at 15:57.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05.09.2016, 17:56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Gallen
Posts: 33
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Kikenz is considered knowledgeableKikenz is considered knowledgeableKikenz is considered knowledgeable
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

I've met a few lovely Swiss people during my travels around the world and they always say to contact them when I'm in Switzerland. So I did, when I moved here (Swiss-German area). What I found is that when they return to Switzerland, they automatically become closed off again. I've contacted a few of them but they never made an effort to meet up. Same as friends I've met here. You go out, have a great time and then you cease to exist. They will "invite" you to their dinners, parties etc on the first meeting itself, take you number, set the date, then go quiet. It Kinda feels like a dating game, except in this scenario, there are no romantic involvements and the three-day rule lasts for the next decade.

I've also met a Swiss-born Greek/Spanish lady in the plane who did say the same happens to her and that all her friends are Swiss-born "minorities" and they are not accepted by the locals even being Swiss themselves.

So all in all, it is challenging to have friends who you can just call and hang out, have a coffee or a beer with anytime over here. The only social life I have is with my partner and flying back to Spain and Asia to meet up with real friends occasionally!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kikenz for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 05.09.2016, 18:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 332
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 196 Times in 95 Posts
kittekat has earned some respectkittekat has earned some respect
Re: Making friends and influencing (Swiss) people

Quote:
View Post
I've met a few lovely Swiss people during my travels around the world and they always say to contact them when I'm in Switzerland. So I did, when I moved here (Swiss-German area). What I found is that when they return to Switzerland, they automatically become closed off again. I've contacted a few of them but they never made an effort to meet up. Same as friends I've met here. You go out, have a great time and then you cease to exist. They will "invite" you to their dinners, parties etc on the first meeting itself, take you number, set the date, then go quiet. It Kinda feels like a dating game, except in this scenario, there are no romantic involvements and the three-day rule lasts for the next decade.

I've also met a Swiss-born Greek/Spanish lady in the plane who did say the same happens to her and that all her friends are Swiss-born "minorities" and they are not accepted by the locals even being Swiss themselves.

So all in all, it is challenging to have friends who you can just call and hang out, have a coffee or a beer with anytime over here. The only social life I have is with my partner and flying back to Spain and Asia to meet up with real friends occasionally!

Same for me. It is still very difficult after three years. Perhaps it is more easy to make friends in the Italian or French part ?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Friends with the Swiss scottingham Daily life 45 Yesterday 23:05
Making friends and joining groups fayester Daily life 2 12.08.2012 19:33
People being unsupportive / making fun of other people's health choices - why? Kittster General off-topic 43 18.10.2010 14:24
Making friends and meeting people Purdueti Introductions 0 21.03.2010 13:25
Looking for a flatshare or 2 room apt and making friends roxanamars Property wanted 4 28.11.2009 17:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0