English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Alcohol at midday (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/226319-alcohol-midday.html)

Guest 22.01.2015 10:03

Alcohol at midday
 
I freely admit I am a fuddy duddy.
But how would you react to a professional person at 2pm in the process of supposedly doing their job reeking of alcohol?
Is it more usual in some countries or nationalities for alcohol at midday to be or not to be accepted?
:drunk:

Sean Connery 22.01.2015 10:05

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
The sweet smell of rum, oh how I enjoyed that. Daily. Alcoholic.

SOBEIT 22.01.2015 10:06

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Never mind midday, champagne breakfast is a killer.

dodgyken 22.01.2015 10:06

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
If they were doing it well I'd be impressed :D:D

All I want to do after a boozy lunch is sleep :cool:

John_H 22.01.2015 10:14

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
It's more common in London no??
When I worked there it was completely normal to have 3 pints with lunch.

I see here quite a few people have a small glass of wine with lunch, and yeah you can smell it afterwards, acceptable, *yes of course.


*unless they're a brain surgeon or something.

TiMow 22.01.2015 10:21

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Having a drink at lunchtime, isn't such a bad thing (glass of wine or a beer with a meal) ...... but smelling of booze afterwards isn't so cool - there are enough ways to reduce or minimise the odour.

It seems to more accepted here - although in my yoof, I regularly downed 4 pints in a lunch hour, with a pub lunch and a few games of pool, then had to go back and deal with Joe Public ...... thems woz the days.

Personally, I find dealing face to face with people who stink of fags, almost as bad.

Chuff 22.01.2015 10:24

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by neddy (Post 2324605)
I freely admit I am a fuddy duddy.
But how would you react to a professional person at 2pm in the process of supposedly doing their job reeking of alcohol?
Is it more usual in some countries or nationalities for alcohol at midday to be or not to be accepted?
:drunk:

I'm not a fuddy duddy and consider alcohol at lunchtime a huge no-no if you work in any position of responsibility that requires unimpaired judgement. If someone "reeks" of alcohol in the true sense of the word, then they should be sent home on the spot. imho. :)

Slaphead 22.01.2015 10:33

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
In the UK back in the 90's a "wet lunch" was par for the course, especially on Fridays. Pretty much everybody who had an office job was down the pub at Friday lunchtimes.

This trend gradually faded out as far as most industries were concerned - for the better IMO, although in the creative industries this is still quite common - more than once have I made the mistake of taking lunch with a few of those guys.

Never encountered it here, apart from one of the older employees enjoying a glass of red at lunch.

hannah'sauntie 22.01.2015 10:33

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Depends on the person's job.

If I had gone to work reeking of booze, that would have been me out of a job.
We weren't allowed to have alcohol on the premises at work, not even at Christmas parties. But then I did work for the NHS back in the UK.

I know for a fact though that one of my colleagues kept a bottle of brandy in a drawer. For medicinal purposes.

Guest 22.01.2015 10:34

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
In France it's normal to have a bottle of wine between about three people with lunch, which is quality of life in my view. Funny though, when having lunches in France and the wine is ordered, the Brits tend to get over excited and have a bottle each whilst I've seen Americans visibly appalled and they've not touched a drop.

Guest 22.01.2015 11:20

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
I forgot to add "in a job dealing with the public".

I remember casual Fridays & pub lunches too but I was not in a job that dealt with the public.

PaddyG 22.01.2015 11:34

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
I used to work in a small organic chemistry plant during my summer vacations. We would often go for a pub lunch including a couple of pints, then head back to the lab to set up a synthesis with hydrazine or lithium aluminium hydride or methyl isocyanate, etc. Ah, those were the days....

Treverus 22.01.2015 11:40

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Back in college I jobbed part time as a barkeeper. Of course can you not stink of alcohol when working, so here is a tip:

http://www.alcostyle.ru/alc/679_11.jpg

Mikers 22.01.2015 11:53

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
I always found that if lunch was one that involved really excessive amounts of the ol' Bolivian Marching Powder then a few bottles was really quite helpful in taking the edge off, so really the person should be thanked for remembering to get themselves back down to a state where they can continue to work during the afternoon.

dodgyken 22.01.2015 12:01

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikers (Post 2324712)
I always found that if lunch was one that involved really excessive amounts of the ol' Bolivian Marching Powder then a few bottles was really quite helpful in taking the edge off, so really the person should be thanked for remembering to get themselves back down to a state where they can continue to work during the afternoon.

I thought it was the other way round? :eek:

Pixie B 22.01.2015 12:18

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyken (Post 2324723)
I thought it was the other way round? :eek:

I thought that was Wolf of Wall street! Don't most people wait until they've finished work before they start racking up beak and drinking bottles plural, ha.

In my opinion fwiw, one drink is acceptable at lunchtime if work resumes afterwards, not two or more! I would not have thought that one drink would be detectable on a person by smell, surely if they stink they have drunk too much? :confused:

nigelr 22.01.2015 13:52

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
One or two drinks at lunchtime is fine, doesn't matter what job you do. Cheers

TiMow 22.01.2015 14:00

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixie B (Post 2324744)
I thought that was Wolf of Wall street! Don't most people wait until they've finished work before they start racking up beak and drinking bottles plural, ha.

In my opinion fwiw, one drink is acceptable at lunchtime if work resumes afterwards, not two or more! I would not have thought that one drink would be detectable on a person by smell, surely if they stink they have drunk too much? :confused:

Sometimes just a couple of swigs is enough to taint the breath - maybe not for too long, afterwards ...... but one drink, can smell the same as three.

I have to be careful, when I take the empties to the recycling on a Saturday morning that I'm not tempted to take a last swig from the whisky bottle that wasn't drained properly, the night before.

VFR on top 22.01.2015 14:27

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelr (Post 2324828)
One or two drinks at lunchtime is fine, doesn't matter what job you do. Cheers





Here you go.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHt6alnieVA


Back to work for me!

Pixie B 22.01.2015 16:16

Re: Alcohol at midday
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelr (Post 2324828)
One or two drinks at lunchtime is fine, doesn't matter what job you do. Cheers

You're right, I should have said no more than two (I forget not everyone is 50 kilo! :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiMow (Post 2324839)
Sometimes just a couple of swigs is enough to taint the breath - maybe not for too long, afterwards ...... but one drink, can smell the same as three..

Really? I know beer, wine and whisky smell strongly but clear spirits??


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0