English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating? (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/228681-international-women-s-day-not-worth-celebrating.html)

stephaniefeeney 25.02.2015 19:49

International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
So next weekend, Sunday 8 March, is International Women's Day (IWD). According to the official IWD website it's slim pickings for celebrations in Zurich, actually for all of Switzerland. Zurich is in fact the epicentre of Swiss IWD activity by comparison. And those events that are listed are organised by the expat community. (fair disclosure: I know because I'm organising the 'Miss Representation' film screening).

http://www.internationalwomensday.co...h#.VO4bGfnF-So

So what's up with that? Why is IWD a non-event for the Swiss? Just a quick peek at little ol' Ireland (my home country) by comparison and there are pages and pages of listed events. Why is Switzerland apparently so backward in coming forward, so to speak, when it comes to celebrating women's achievements and seeking gender equality???

22 yards 25.02.2015 19:51

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
When is International Men's Day, again?

(Or Fathers' Day, in Switzerland, come to that.)

stephaniefeeney 25.02.2015 19:56

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 22 yards (Post 2347817)
When is International Men's Day, again?

(Or Fathers' Day, in Switzerland, come to that.)

19 November. You doing something to celebrate it?

22 yards 25.02.2015 21:52

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
I'm going to start a thread on EF asking why IMD is a non-event for the Swiss, and a petition on the basis of gender equality to establish Fathers' Day in Switzerland.

MathNut 25.02.2015 21:55

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
I reckon it's because March 8 is too soon for another holiday. Everybody's still recovering from Fasnacht.

Belgianmum 25.02.2015 22:03

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MathNut (Post 2347874)
I reckon it's because March 8 is too soon for another holiday. Everybody's still recovering from Fasnacht.

Only if you actually celebrate Fasnacht in the first place.;) Fasnacht doesn't exist around here.

k_and_e 25.02.2015 22:12

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephaniefeeney (Post 2347814)
So next weekend, Sunday 8 March, is International Women's Day (IWD). According to the official IWD website it's slim pickings for celebrations in Zurich, actually for all of Switzerland. Zurich is in fact the epicentre of Swiss IWD activity by comparison. And those events that are listed are organised by the expat community. (fair disclosure: I know because I'm organising the 'Miss Representation' film screening).

http://www.internationalwomensday.co...h#.VO4bGfnF-So

So what's up with that? Why is IWD a non-event for the Swiss? Just a quick peek at little ol' Ireland (my home country) by comparison and there are pages and pages of listed events. Why is Switzerland apparently so backward in coming forward, so to speak, when it comes to celebrating women's achievements and seeking gender equality???

Do you call a day for complaining about men a celebration?

mirfield 25.02.2015 22:12

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Maybe some people respect women every day.

Samaire13 25.02.2015 22:29

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Because Switzerland is so neutral that it doesn't bother with anything that is even a tiny bit politically precarious ;)

And because it is conservative country and its population actually believes - to a considerable extent - that they have achieved equality, with quite a shocking number of men even complaining (well, that's a nice word for "whining") that they're already disadvantaged by the consequences of feminism. God forbid you should give those awful men-hating feminists a platform to voice anything publicly about women, equality and whatnot :)

(personally, I very much believe it's an important cause, always has been, always will be - BUT I don't live my political convictions "publicly" and have, for instance, never attended political events.)

Laurie 25.02.2015 22:34

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Have a look at the American Women's Club of Zurich web site and there are some ideas there .

Sublime 26.02.2015 08:26

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephaniefeeney (Post 2347814)
So next weekend, Sunday 8 March, is International Women's Day (IWD). According to the official IWD website it's slim pickings for celebrations in Zurich, actually for all of Switzerland. Zurich is in fact the epicentre of Swiss IWD activity by comparison. And those events that are listed are organised by the expat community. (fair disclosure: I know because I'm organising the 'Miss Representation' film screening).

http://www.internationalwomensday.co...h#.VO4bGfnF-So

So what's up with that? Why is IWD a non-event for the Swiss? Just a quick peek at little ol' Ireland (my home country) by comparison and there are pages and pages of listed events. Why is Switzerland apparently so backward in coming forward, so to speak, when it comes to celebrating women's achievements and seeking gender equality???

Der Frauentag verliert in der Schweiz an Bedeutung

Besides: "Der Frauentag wurde 1911 erstmals begangen - in der Schweiz und drei weiteren Ländern." :eek:

st2lemans 26.02.2015 08:46

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 22 yards (Post 2347817)
When is International Men's Day, again?

(Or Fathers' Day, in Switzerland, come to that.)

March 19th, as always. ;)

(at least down here :p)

Tom

st2lemans 26.02.2015 08:47

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgianmum (Post 2347883)
Only if you actually celebrate Fasnacht in the first place.;) Fasnacht doesn't exist around here.

It does here, it ended last Sunday. ;)

Tom

TiMow 26.02.2015 08:50

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Is this another example of the inferiority complex of women, that they have to over-justify their being ...... or just a throw back to the 60's and 70's CND marches and lesbian peace camps?

stephaniefeeney 26.02.2015 09:29

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 22 yards (Post 2347871)
I'm going to start a thread on EF asking why IMD is a non-event for the Swiss, and a petition on the basis of gender equality to establish Fathers' Day in Switzerland.

Super! I will gladly sign the petition.

stephaniefeeney 26.02.2015 09:30

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfield (Post 2347895)
Maybe some people respect women every day.

Nice!

Dougal's Breakfast 26.02.2015 09:31

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
I just want to know when "International People Who Have Shit Jobs So The Rest Of Us Can Live In Comfort And Convenience Day" is.

Oh, I forgot. They don't have any representatives in every university campus and at the UN, do they?

Never mind. Let's just forget them, then. They probably didn't work hard enough at school or something...

stephaniefeeney 26.02.2015 09:33

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie (Post 2347907)
Have a look at the American Women's Club of Zurich web site and there are some ideas there .

Thanks Laurie. I'm aware of what the AWCZ are doing. But I guess that's just my point. My impression is that it's the expat community that is rallying, not the Swiss themselves.

stephaniefeeney 26.02.2015 09:38

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sublime (Post 2348025)
Der Frauentag verliert in der Schweiz an Bedeutung

Besides: "Der Frauentag wurde 1911 erstmals begangen - in der Schweiz und drei weiteren Ländern." :eek:

Thanks Sublime, very interesting article and right on point. Thanks for pointing it out. If it started here it is even more tragic that it has somehow lost its zest along the way. I only wonder why Terre des Femmes hasn't publicised this super initiative on the official website?!

Treverus 26.02.2015 09:40

Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?
 
Can't join... that's our day on the washing machine schedule, so the wife will be busy.

P.S> What do you celebrate on women's day?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0