Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #621  
Old 10.04.2019, 23:57
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,819
Groaned at 100 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 10,396 Times in 4,613 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

With a couple of crow bars, we could get that lifted in an afternoon and make some nice raised planters
Reply With Quote
  #622  
Old 11.04.2019, 10:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Fine, Okay. What you are saying is that having competition changes nothing, fundamentally and does not benefit the consumer.
Even when you seem to try to be reasonable you fail miserably.

There's not the slightest shred in my post that supports your claim. Feel free to show where I say anything on market mechanisms.
Reply With Quote
  #623  
Old 11.04.2019, 10:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
In the UK people have a choice, they can pay to go privately or have insurance. Choice is a wonderful thing which Swiss residents don't have
Huh? Of course they do. You can have any treatment if you pay for it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #624  
Old 11.04.2019, 11:43
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,370
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,753 Times in 6,677 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Huh? Of course they do. You can have any treatment if you pay for it yourself.
What fatmanfilm meant was in GB they get treatment "for free" or pay special treatment themselves.
What he - as 99% of the people - forgets is that in GB one has even less of a choice: You pay for it within the taxes (wether you pay extra for private in the end or not) while (for example in Switzerland) you at least have a choice re system/franchise etc.

It's the usual "Der Staat should pay for this .... and that ..." and you need to remind people that "der Staat" is us, the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #625  
Old 11.04.2019, 11:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
What fatmanfilm meant was in GB they get treatment "for free" or pay special treatment themselves.
What he - as 99% of the people - forgets is that in GB one has even less of a choice: You pay for it within the taxes (wether you pay extra for private in the end or not) while (for example in Switzerland) you at least have a choice re system/franchise etc.

It's the usual "Der Staat should pay for this .... and that ..." and you need to remind people that "der Staat" is us, the taxpayer.
Isn't it the same in Switzerland, though, but the tax is disguised as your monthly premium? Not everyone in the country will undergo health treatment equal to the amount of monthly premiums they contribute over a life time, will they? Especially if you are semi or full private.

You don't get back what you didn't use. It funds those on financial assistance.
Reply With Quote
  #626  
Old 11.04.2019, 11:59
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,914
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 21,146 Times in 8,695 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Feel free to show where I say anything on market mechanisms.
No you're right. I can't find a post of yours that says anything.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #627  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:16
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,226
Groaned at 287 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 17,685 Times in 9,162 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Even when you seem to try to be reasonable you fail miserably.
Quote:
View Post
No you're right. I can't find a post of yours that says anything.
Cmon, girls.

Don't be so TIS.

Last edited by MusicChick; 11.04.2019 at 12:41. Reason: Fixed quote
Reply With Quote
  #628  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:18
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,226
Groaned at 287 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 17,685 Times in 9,162 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
No, it's government supports that's the issue, however countries want a national airline for their pride.
Maybe there wouldn't be that issue if the airline names were neutral. Hmm.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #629  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:20
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,370
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,753 Times in 6,677 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
Isn't it the same in Switzerland, though, but the tax is disguised as your monthly premium? Not everyone in the country will undergo health treatment equal to the amount of monthly premiums they contribute over a life time, will they? Especially if you are semi or full private.

You don't get back what you didn't use. It funds those on financial assistance.
All insurances work like that, people without damage events finance the others.

With the health insurance - while compulsory - you make a choice of the type (Hausarztmodell, free choice of doctors, private, dog knows all the stuff offered) and the level of franchise. In the end you pay what you chose while not still paying a parallel system within your taxes.

A friend of mine payed a hip replacement in England himself and did not get a refund in taxes for doing so. (Yes of course that would complicate things even more, I know).
All systems are tricky I guess but here the chosen "Grundversicherung" pays quite a lot and if you have a case where you feel you would like it better than offered you only pay the difference.
To me that makes more sense but that doesn't mean it does to everybody.
__________________
be inventive!
Reply With Quote
  #630  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Cmon, girls
Sigh. I know what you mean but girls as a pejorative is surely-to-god very old fashioned.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #631  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
All insurances work like that, people without damage events finance the others.

With the health insurance - while compulsory - you make a choice of the type (Hausarztmodell, free choice of doctors, private, dog knows all the stuff offered) and the level of franchise. In the end you pay what you chose while not still paying a parallel system within your taxes.

A friend of mine payed a hip replacement in England himself and did not get a refund in taxes for doing so. (Yes of course that would complicate things even more, I know).
All systems are tricky I guess but here the chosen "Grundversicherung" pays quite a lot and if you have a case where you feel you would like it better than offered you only pay the difference.
To me that makes more sense but that doesn't mean it does to everybody.
But it's still compulsory. And you also pay taxes etc.

Private health insurance can be a damn sight cheaper than in CH too.
Reply With Quote
  #632  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:35
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,893
Groaned at 146 Times in 129 Posts
Thanked 6,675 Times in 3,097 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
....Private health insurance can be a damn sight cheaper than in CH too.
Mainly because private insurance companies are careful to exclude high risk individuals (old etc.).

Unless a private insurance is obliged to accept absolutely everyone you really cannot compare.
Reply With Quote
  #633  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Cmon, girls.

Don't be so TIS.
LMAO, you just beat your own point.

Besides, you seem to misinterpret my reply to FMF.
Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:43
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,226
Groaned at 287 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 17,685 Times in 9,162 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
LMAO, you just beat your own point.

Besides, you seem to misinterpret my reply to FMF.
There you go, fixed the quote I was aiming for.
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
But it's still compulsory. And you also pay taxes etc.
Plus, in CH roughly one quarter is paid by tax money.
Quote:
Private health insurance can be a damn sight cheaper than in CH too.
Of course, but it depends on who gets accepted. For instance ETHZ used to have its own insurance, it was available to ETHZ students and employees only. Premiums were ridiculously low because the admission criteria selected for very low risk.
Reply With Quote
  #636  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,994
Groaned at 334 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 5,457 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
There you go, fixed the quote I was aiming for originally.
That's rather hypocrite MC .
Reply With Quote
  #637  
Old 11.04.2019, 12:50
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,226
Groaned at 287 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 17,685 Times in 9,162 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
That's rather hypocrite MC .
No, that's accidentally quoting a post below the one I wanted to quote, darlin'.
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 11.04.2019, 15:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Plus, in CH roughly one quarter is paid by tax money.

Of course, but it depends on who gets accepted. For instance ETHZ used to have its own insurance, it was available to ETHZ students and employees only. Premiums were ridiculously low because the admission criteria selected for very low risk.
Then that makes the monthly premium chaeges even worse! I had too relatively minor pre-existing conditions when we needed Swiss health insurance.... had to pay a lot over tge standard rate. Neither condition raised a hair during our time there. I reckon we will just have to agree to disagree on this!
Reply With Quote
  #639  
Old 11.04.2019, 15:15
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,480
Groaned at 391 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 16,647 Times in 9,022 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
Then that makes the monthly premium chaeges even worse! I had too relatively minor pre-existing conditions when we needed Swiss health insurance.... had to pay a lot over tge standard rate. Neither condition raised a hair during our time there. I reckon we will just have to agree to disagree on this!
Every insurance provider is obliged to accept you for compulsory basic insurance without reservations or increased premiums, regardless of your age and state of health.
Of course it is different for supplementary health insurance!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #640  
Old 11.04.2019, 15:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Every insurance provider is obliged to accept you for compulsory basic insurance without reservations or increased premiums, regardless of your age and state of health.
Of course it is different for supplementary health insurance!
This I know. IMO it's another tax. It makes it a kind of "private-private " health insurance and a two-tiered system.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it a holiday in Switzerland this Thursday? ek123 Daily life 18 02.10.2014 10:56
Is this a good salary for Italian Switzerland? idoruch Employment 8 16.10.2008 19:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0