English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   TIS - This Is Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/235301-tis-switzerland.html)

dodgyken 12.06.2015 09:33

TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
We all know TIA - This Is Africa - which explains why something is simply because it is in Africa. Example: 20 people loaded into the back of a bucky.

There is also TIS - This is Switzerland - which explains why something is simply because it is in Switzerland.

Kicking things off.
- A friend left their phone on top of their bag at the pool, going off to another section for 45mins. They went back and their phone was still there. TIS

- Going to test drive a car and the dealer just hands you the keys - no scanning of licence or going with you. TIS

- Buying a watch for 10k, calling the insurance to add it as an individual item only to be told that you only need to name items over 20k. TIS

- Buying a 25 year old car and finding it has all the documents including original "Dealer map of Europe (without the M25!!!!)" and a service book covering 25 years and 250,000km with every service done at a BMW dealer. TIS

yacek 12.06.2015 09:39

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Out of 40 people in my office there are two natives. TIS.

TiMow 12.06.2015 09:43

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyken (Post 2403700)
We all know TIA - This Is Africa - which explains why something is simply because it is in Africa. Example: 20 people loaded into the back of a bucky.

There is also TIS - This is Switzerland - which explains why something is simply because it is in Switzerland.

Just as well you didn't include the British comparative example:

newtoswitz 12.06.2015 09:44

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
- went for MFK and the whole thing was on time, took ten minutes, the place was spotless, and I stayed in the car while it was lifted 3m in the air on a ramp and shaken to test the suspension - cool :D .TIS.

Today only 12.06.2015 09:54

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 2403708)
- went for MFK and the whole thing was on time, took ten minutes, the place was spotless, and I stayed in the car while it was lifted 3m in the air on a ramp and shaken to test the suspension - cool :D .TIS.


This is very new then, they don't usualy let you into the test area, let alone leave you in the car when it's on the ramp......another case of "TIS" ?

st2lemans 12.06.2015 09:56

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Today only (Post 2403719)
This is very new then, they don't usualy let you into the test area, let alone leave you in the car when it's on the ramp......another case of "TIS" ?

They always have when I've taken a bike or car in for MFK.

Tom

Eved 12.06.2015 09:58

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
What a fabulous thread! I hope it stays positive....

Thanks for posting ....

newtoswitz 12.06.2015 10:02

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Kaltbrunn SG test centre.

Very automated - plates on the floor that automatically checked the suspension, rollers for brake testing and the shaking ramp thing.

Also efficient to use me - I did the indicators and brakes so he could check the lights without walking backwards and forwards, and steering wheel and handbrake for the linkages.

Was slightly surprised he also did the emergency stop and hill start with me in the car as well, but probably a good idea - I wonder if they ever get someone say "ah, can I just admit something about my brakes before we try" ;) TISx2

Ten minutes from Grüezi to Tshüss.

CuttySark 12.06.2015 10:07

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
The regie charging you 150chf for nameplates for the doorbell, that you didn't ask for. TIS

The place where you work at, charging you 110chf (a "deposit") to give you the keys to your office (really!!!!). TIS

Your health insurance company not being able to implement a standard direct debit with the bank for six+ months, but at the same time sending bills for a period that you didn't have a contract with them. TIS

Clumsy Maman 12.06.2015 10:22

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
My son (6) came home from kinsky, all happy that he was taught how to light a fire - then begged us to buy matches for him to practise at home. :eek::eek:. TIS

I found a 10fr note in a bin in Migros, took it to the Customer Service desk, and the girl did not even bat an eyelid. Must be another normal day at work. :)

dodgyken 12.06.2015 10:26

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clumsy Maman (Post 2403754)
My son (6) came home from kinsky, all happy that he was taught how to light a fire - then begged us to buy matches for him to practise at home. :eek::eek:. TIS

I found a 10fr note in a bin in Migros, took it to the Customer Service desk, and the girl did not even bat an eyelid. Must be another normal day at work. :)

A proper TIS is:
- Went to COOP to buy lunch and a few things for dinner. It came to about 30chf - handed over a 1,000chf note. Cashier didn't bat an eyelid. TIS

- Submitted my tax return - received the final bill and they had corrected my form resulting in me paying LESS tax. TIS

roegner 12.06.2015 10:29

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Bringing your car to the car shop to change the tyres and having a "spring check". Getting it back also cleaned inside and out (and that for free!) = TIS

Faltrad 12.06.2015 10:32

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyken (Post 2403760)
A proper TIS is:
- Went to COOP to buy lunch and a few things for dinner. It came to about 30chf - handed over a 1,000chf note. Cashier didn't bat an eyelid. TIS

Nope, bragging about giving out 1000 CHF notes is not TIS, it's TIZ: This is Zürich. You might have to move.

Clumsy Maman 12.06.2015 10:33

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgyken (Post 2403760)
A proper TIS is:

Come on man, I am trying really hard ;). We are not all earning min 120k, you know

PaddyG 12.06.2015 10:33

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CuttySark (Post 2403740)
The regie charging you 150chf for nameplates for the doorbell, that you didn't ask for. TIS

The place where you work at, charging you 110chf (a "deposit") to give you the keys to your office (really!!!!). TIS

Your health insurance company not being able to implement a standard direct debit with the bank for six+ months, but at the same time sending bills for a period that you didn't have a contract with them. TIS

This should be in the "You've been Switzerlanded" thread ;)

PaddyG 12.06.2015 10:35

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faltrad (Post 2403764)
Nope, bragging about giving out 1000 CHF notes is not TIS, it's TIZ: This is Zürich. You might have to move.

Not at all, we dealt in 1000.- notes when selling/buying our car.

Faltrad 12.06.2015 10:37

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyG (Post 2403768)
Not at all, we dealt in 1000.- notes when selling/buying our car.

Did you buy your car in Coop with the rest of the groceries and your 1000 CHF bills? I don't think so. You are not a TIZ candidate. Good for you.

swisspea 12.06.2015 10:39

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Train runs every twenty minutes from my local station to Zurich city...train is running 3 minutes late...due to waiting for the vintage steam train to go past... train driver apologises for the delay... :D

GenevaSculler 12.06.2015 10:43

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
Keep telling my 3 year old that she needs to keep out of the way when I'm ironing my shirt. Then she casually drops in yesterday morning that they have their own (small but real) iron at school for ironing the napkins... TIS

st2lemans 12.06.2015 10:45

Re: TIS - This Is Switzerland
 
I've bought several vehicles with a fistful of 1k CHF notes (two motorcycles and a couple cars), but this is Ticino (TIT). :p

10 year old son goes to the store to buy me a beer (20 years ago), TWS (This Was Switzerland).

Tom


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0