English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   I smiled because... (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/23795-i-smiled-because.html)

swissotter 28.08.2008 18:42

Re: I smiled because...
 
i met an old friend who used to live in zurich, haven't seen her in almost 2 years...she is doing great (went through a bad divorce when she was last here) plus today i started a new german course and my classmates are ace :p

Guest 28.08.2008 23:11

Re: I smiled because...
 
This evening I came straight home from work, and went to bed (windows thrown open, fan directed upon my sweaty, grimy, exhausted body), without having any obligation to be anywhere, any distracting (though delightful) suggestions via sms, or any requirement to attend to essential business, other than the emptying and re-filling of the dishwasher, thus relieving my kitchen of the odious stench that has haunted it for the last five days.

I awoke at nine, quite refreshed, had a delicious dinner of risotto with chorizo, oregano, powdery cheese and avocado, and came online, all relaxed, like.

I must try this more often. It's rather a pleasant feeling...

Sutter 31.08.2008 19:48

Re: I smiled because...
 
I am smiling because i had a fantastic weekend with Lynn, and Lily (but my head still hurts:o lol).

P.S Everyone is missing you both:msnsad:

Sutter 01.09.2008 12:09

Re: I smiled because...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 303976)
I am smiling because i had a fantastic weekend with Lynn, and Lily (but my head still hurts:o lol).

P.S Everyone is missing you both:msnsad:

I am smiling today because my head is not hurting this morning;)

smackerjack 01.09.2008 12:18

Re: I smiled because...
 
I returned to my lovely appt ,to discover this morning that someone has painted all the woodwork on my balcony - window frame -large wooden dividers everything. They had to take down plant pots etc and rehang them. They have even tidied it up.

I am on the 2nd floor and thought it was my responsibility - it looks fab:)

Lynn 01.09.2008 12:20

Re: I smiled because...
 
I am smiling today because something unpleasant which has been hanging over me is now almost over with...

(and I don't have a headache either :p)

i-b-deborah 02.09.2008 15:37

Re: I smiled because...
 
Actually I didn't laugh, I p1ssed meself and it wasn't today. ZB reminded me of the incident with her bunny story
Recently I was at a kids birthday party, my charge being the old man of the group at the ripe ole age of three.
Time came for cake and to accompany it was one of those table bombs (like the ones for new year. For those who don't know they are a kind of exploding kracker, you light the fuse, it goes boom and out come all the party favours) This one had a teddy sticking out of the top. Kids gathered round, the proud father of the birthday-girl lit the fuse and then bang. 10 kids started screaming at the sight of teddy's legless body hurtling over the courtyard.

Deep Purple 02.09.2008 23:20

Re: I smiled because...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by I-b-deborah (Post 305264)
Actually I didn't laugh, I p1ssed meself and it wasn't today. ZB reminded me of the incident with her bunny story
Recently I was at a kids birthday party, my charge being the old man of the group at the ripe ole age of three.
Time came for cake and to accompany it was one of those table bombs (like the ones for new year. For those who don't know they are a kind of exploding kracker, you light the fuse, it goes boom and out come all the party favours) This one had a teddy sticking out of the top. Kids gathered round, the proud father of the birthday-girl lit the fuse and then bang. 10 kids started screaming at the sight of teddy's legless body hurtling over the courtyard.

That reminds me of a similar situation when I was a child. We had one at Christmas that certainly wouldn't comply with modern Health & Safety. When it exploded it fired out metal toys that hit the ceiling bringing down bits of plaster. It is fortunate that none of us were too close!

Rod

swissotter 20.09.2008 15:03

Re: I smiled because...
 
i went to the flohmarkt this morning,and a lady selling bags gave me one free! (it was leather too) i was just looking at it and she said "take it" (in swiss german)
i was so shocked (free? switzerland?) it really made my day, plus the fact that i am a cheap sod...so even better!

J.L-P 25.09.2008 16:56

Re: I smiled because...
 
I am smiling because my daughter was elected class delegate for the 3rd year in a row. And she is holding her own in the fluent German class where she finagled a classmate into selling her a new text book for 2/3rd off the regular price. Yay!!! :D

Kittster 06.10.2008 22:23

Re: I smiled because...
 
I'm grinning because I found not one but two pairs of knee-high boots to fit my freakishly muscular calves and promptly bought a pair. Very happy. So all you ladies with large calves - Dosenbach is currently stocking the sort of boot that accommodates a more than 40 cm calf. :D

NatsBrit 06.10.2008 22:31

Re: I smiled because...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 326876)
I'm grinning because I found not one but two pairs of knee-high boots to fit my freakishly muscular calves and promptly bought a pair. Very happy. So all you ladies with large calves - Dosenbach is currently stocking the sort of boot that accommodates a more than 40 cm calf. :D

You've made me smile for 2 reasons:
  1. Someone else has muscular calves
  2. I may actually get to buy boots this year
Thanks Kittster!!!
:msngrin::msngrin::msngrin:

PS. Did you notice if they had for muscular calves and big feet - size 42?

Natasha 06.10.2008 22:42

Re: I smiled because...
 
I was running today at lunch, and on my way back from Rapperswil, on the bridge that goes across the water, and I could not believe how lucky I was. Here I am, on a lunch break, marveling at the view of the water, with the snow capped mountains in the background, and lower down all the autumn leaves....

Did I smile? Hell yes. Ear to ear for the next 5kms :)

Kittster 06.10.2008 22:46

Re: I smiled because...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NatsBrit (Post 326880)
You've made me smile for 2 reasons:
  1. Someone else has muscular calves
  2. I may actually get to buy boots this year
Thanks Kittster!!!
:msngrin::msngrin::msngrin:

PS. Did you notice if they had for muscular calves and big feet - size 42?

My stepfather always remarks that he is jealous of them - not what you want to hear as a lady but you make the most of what you're given, right?

Some boots were offered up to 42, but not all, I have a 39 myself but sometimes they just put a load of boots on one shelf, labeled with "36-42"

One place I do know offers boots up to 42 and in a selection of calf widths is La Redoute. Mail order but I find they have unusual and well-made stuff at a reasonable price.

louann-dun 06.10.2008 23:56

Re: I smiled because...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittster (Post 326876)
I'm grinning because I found not one but two pairs of knee-high boots to fit my freakishly muscular calves and promptly bought a pair. Very happy. So all you ladies with large calves - Dosenbach is currently stocking the sort of boot that accommodates a more than 40 cm calf. :D

Can you post a pic of these boots...??

Kittster 07.10.2008 01:13

Re: I smiled because...
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hmm, we might need a separate "these boots are made for walking" thread at this rate. Mods, feel free to split this off-topic bit. Even if boots do make a lot of people smile.

Here's the boots from the front, they have thin heels placed under the heel so quite comfortable, plus a little bit of bling attached at ankle height. There is an elastic bit round the back which I stretch to the full and they may be meant to go over the knee, as I'm quite tall most boots are usually too short for me (if I can get my 44 cm calves into them at all :rolleyes:).

Only (but major) downside, they are NOT leather, so I'm not sure I'll be wanting to take them off after a while. I'd have preferred them to be so but on the upside, they only cost 50 Francs. Bargain for a bit of fun, I guess.

mirfield 07.10.2008 13:34

Re: I smiled because...
 
Is the leaf motif dress worn to compliment the treetrunks...? :D:msntongue:

Kittster 07.10.2008 14:27

Re: I smiled because...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfield (Post 327145)
Is the leaf motif dress worn to compliment the treetrunks...? :D:msntongue:

Sarcasm, irony and all the rest have repeatedly shown to work very badly in an online environment. And you had BETTER be trying very hard to be funny rather than serious, because that is a very hurtful remark.

grumpygrapefruit 22.10.2008 09:56

Re: I smiled because...
 
I smiled because...... my first chick was born this morning. It is a French Maran (er, that's a chicken BTW), tiny and weighs next to nothing but cheeps beautifully. She is black with white wing tips. Hopefully more will hatch over the next day or so. I didn't have time to get my camera, but photos will follow!

:wave:

Wife of a swiss 22.10.2008 10:09

Re: I smiled because...
 
I am smiling because:

1. My husband and I just found out that we got the absolute dream penthouse apartment that we really wanted.

2. I/we live in this beautiful country

3. I have such a wonderful dream husband-swiss I might add

4. And I have a wonderful daughter in university in the US doing positive and productive things.

Lots to smile about:D and I am thankful for it!!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0