Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.08.2015, 20:20
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,713
Groaned at 118 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 7,556 Times in 3,439 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Disappearing threads...?

Has anyone noticed that some threads just disappear? With no notification or reason that a thread you have commented on has been deleted!

I've noticed it several times before, and today I noticed that a fairly amusing thread (the one by the guy who wanted first date location advice to ensure he got laid) had disappeared.... it's always the entertaining ones that disappear.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 30.08.2015, 20:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Misuse of the OTBC function. It's supposed to be used to eradicate spammers. These days it's being used to deal with just about anything a trigger-happy mod or deputy doesn't like the look of.

This is what happens when you arm monkeys.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 30.08.2015, 20:46
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,740
Groaned at 385 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 13,161 Times in 4,511 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

If this was more interesting it might disappear too...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 30.08.2015, 20:49
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,713
Groaned at 118 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 7,556 Times in 3,439 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
This is what happens when you arm monkeys.
Nothing wrong with monkeys

Quote:
View Post
If this was more interesting it might disappear too...
Oh... I'm far too boring to delete!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.08.2015, 20:58
Merrylegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vaud/Valais
Posts: 1,009
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 585 Posts
Merrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

I posted a thread about 30 minutes ago entitled "Just a Dog" (the second time I have done so, but it was aimed at newer members). Some people obviously saw it, as I received thanks from various members, but it has since disappeared!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.08.2015, 21:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Disappearing threads...?

This one?

Just a Dog
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 30.08.2015, 21:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8,806
Groaned at 324 Times in 248 Posts
Thanked 20,238 Times in 7,058 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
View Post
I posted a thread about 30 minutes ago entitled "Just a Dog" (the second time I have done so, but it was aimed at newer members). Some people obviously saw it, as I received thanks from various members, but it has since disappeared!
to be honest, there is a lot of overlap with the "forever dog" thread.

anyway, the thread mentioned in the original post looks very promising. Who pulled the trigger? shame on you
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 30.08.2015, 21:20
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,530
Groaned at 92 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 20,077 Times in 8,886 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone noticed that some threads just disappear? With no notification or reason that a thread you have commented on has been deleted!

I've noticed it several times before, and today I noticed that a fairly amusing thread (the one by the guy who wanted first date location advice to ensure he got laid) had disappeared.... it's always the entertaining ones that disappear.
When you are the OP of a thread and it is deleted, you receive an automated message. The same is true if you're not the OP but you made a post that was deleted on its own while the thread was left intact.

However, if a thread is deleted and you just happened to post on it, then yup it just disappears. If you're super curious to follow a thread that is likely to get deleted (such as the date guy), make a note of the username that started it and check the profile later if you notice the thread has vanished.

In this case, the thread you're talking about was deleted as spam (no, I wasn't the one that deleted. )

Keep in mind threads are sometimes moved around. If you subscribe to a thread, you can look in your subscribed threads list to find it again..as long as it has not been deleted.

HTH
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.08.2015, 21:36
Nixi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GR & ZH
Posts: 381
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 260 Times in 148 Posts
Nixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Disappearing threads...?

I have just looked at Just a Dog. It must have reappeared.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31.08.2015, 08:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
Misuse of the OTBC function. It's supposed to be used to eradicate spammers. These days it's being used to deal with just about anything a trigger-happy mod or deputy doesn't like the look of.
The trouble is that spammers (and trolls) are getting sneakier, making a genuine pretence of posting something relevant, starting threads, before they show their true colours. At that point someone may use the OTBC as they're obviously a spammer or a duplicate account, but it also removes any threads they've started, including (without notification) any replies in said thread.

Yes, we need to be a little more careful about this. But likewise you could be more helpful by not creating dups to post your generally amusing stuff - it's against the rules so any mod may simply OTBC it, without always trying to work out if it's a funny thread or a real troll.

And complaining about heavy-handed moderation when you're willfully breaking the rules and making our life more difficult is more than a little hypocritical, I might suggest.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 31.08.2015, 09:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
The trouble is that spammers (and trolls) are getting sneakier, making a genuine pretence of posting something relevant, starting threads, before they show their true colours. At that point someone may use the OTBC as they're obviously a spammer or a duplicate account, but it also removes any threads they've started, including (without notification) any replies in said thread.

Yes, we need to be a little more careful about this. But likewise you could be more helpful by not creating dups to post your generally amusing stuff - it's against the rules so any mod may simply OTBC it, without always trying to work out if it's a funny thread or a real troll.

And complaining about heavy-handed moderation when you're willfully breaking the rules and making our life more difficult is more than a little hypocritical, I might suggest.

One off joke accounts have been a feature of this forum since the very beginning. Sure, they're against the rules, but they're hardly "making mods lives difficult". They're just a bit of light-hearted fun. It's quite sufficient to ban the offending account without abusing the OTBC and creating problems for several other people who might share the same IP address at the same time.


But it isn't really the mods who are the problem here. It's the dozens of trigger happy deputies who fire away at anything they don't fancy, regardless of whether it's someone selling kitchens from Taiwan, someone having a bit of a laugh or someone who can't phrase his questions in perfect English.


People are way too keen to flex their muscles with the OTBC - not entirely unpredictably! - and it takes away from the wonderful diversity and moderate lunacy that used to make EF so entertaining.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 31.08.2015, 09:34
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,103
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:


But it isn't really the mods who are the problem here. It's the dozens of trigger happy deputies who fire away at anything they don't fancy, regardless of whether it's someone selling kitchens from Taiwan, someone having a bit of a laugh or someone who can't phrase his questions in perfect English.


People are way too keen to flex their muscles with the OTBC - not entirely unpredictably! - and it takes away from the wonderful diversity and moderate lunacy that used to make EF so entertaining.
moderate lunacy?
Quote:
Ban 'em all.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31.08.2015, 09:44
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
One off joke accounts have been a feature of this forum since the very beginning. Sure, they're against the rules, but they're hardly "making mods lives difficult". They're just a bit of light-hearted fun. It's quite sufficient to ban the offending account without abusing the OTBC and creating problems for several other people who might share the same IP address at the same time.


But it isn't really the mods who are the problem here. It's the dozens of trigger happy deputies who fire away at anything they don't fancy, regardless of whether it's someone selling kitchens from Taiwan, someone having a bit of a laugh or someone who can't phrase his questions in perfect English.


People are way too keen to flex their muscles with the OTBC - not entirely unpredictably! - and it takes away from the wonderful diversity and moderate lunacy that used to make EF so entertaining.
Actually the system of spam deputies works quite well - the forum is certainly pretty free of spam these days, and the vast majority of spam deputies use the OTBC in the manner that it was intended.

Of course there have been some instances where people have been OTBC'd inappropriately, but most of the time this has been an honest mistake.

In situations where a spam deputy has been noted to have hit the OTBC button because they don't like what somebody has written then they're given a warning. If they continue to misuse the OTBC system then we simply deactivate the spam deputy tag on their account. Problem solved.
__________________
...allegedly.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Slaphead for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 31.08.2015, 09:49
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,103
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
View Post
In situations where a spam deputy has been noted to have hit the OTBC button because they don't like what somebody has written then they're given a warning. If they continue to misuse the OTBC system then we simply deactivate the spam deputy tag on their account. Problem solved.
Well, it was fun while it lasted!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Longbyt for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 31.08.2015, 09:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,033
Groaned at 579 Times in 419 Posts
Thanked 13,480 Times in 7,009 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone noticed that some threads just disappear? With no notification or reason that a thread you have commented on has been deleted!

I've noticed it several times before, and today I noticed that a fairly amusing thread (the one by the guy who wanted first date location advice to ensure he got laid) had disappeared.... it's always the entertaining ones that disappear.
If you've commented, check your posts (find all posts by userxyz), it should be listed. As for the that dating thread, it's still there, it merely got pushed lower by newer threads.

Much ado about nothing it seems.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 31.08.2015, 10:12
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,713
Groaned at 118 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 7,556 Times in 3,439 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
View Post
If you've commented, check your posts (find all posts by userxyz), it should be listed. As for the that dating thread, it's still there, it merely got pushed lower by newer threads.

Much ado about nothing it seems.
I did check "My Posts" ... that is not the thread I was referring to. The one I was talking about was a guy who wanted advice on where to take his date in Geneva.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31.08.2015, 10:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Disappearing threads...?

If OTBC can be reversed, can we have that entertaining "I'm Swiss and I'm here to help you foreigners" spoof back, please?



He wasn't a spammer, so there was no reason to OTBC him at all, was there?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31.08.2015, 11:02
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,263
Groaned at 312 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 23,694 Times in 9,636 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
Misuse of the OTBC function. It's supposed to be used to eradicate spammers. These days it's being used to deal with just about anything a trigger-happy mod or deputy doesn't like the look of.

This is what happens when you arm monkeys.
Fascinating. What happens when you arm bears?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 31.08.2015, 11:37
Merrylegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vaud/Valais
Posts: 1,009
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 585 Posts
Merrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

Quote:
This one?

Just a Dog
Yes, that's the one DB. Merry
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 20.09.2015, 23:48
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,713
Groaned at 118 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 7,556 Times in 3,439 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disappearing threads...?

And now the Swedish/Swiss thread has gone.... we may never know if her Husband was Swiss or Swedish
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flavour disappearing MsWorWoo Complaints corner 56 13.01.2013 08:36
Disappearing Thanks hannah'sauntie Forum support 4 27.09.2012 12:30
Members posting then disappearing Meisie Forum support 11 11.08.2010 09:20
Lazarus threads [resurrection of ancient threads] Carlos R Forum support 8 06.04.2010 15:25
Disappearing IMG links litespeed Forum support 1 03.11.2009 18:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0