Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6701  
Old 17.11.2016, 10:13
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,013
Groaned at 95 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,977 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/i...20161116117206
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #6702  
Old 17.11.2016, 10:44
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,253
Groaned at 181 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 17,625 Times in 7,484 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So a significant number of Germans want Merkel to stand for the pleasure of watching her defeated; a very, very cunning plan!
I understand quite a few Tories backed Corbyn.

And I think not because they agree with him.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #6703  
Old 17.11.2016, 12:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You seem to think that MPs are making a genuine request for information to help them make a "reasonable judgement" on A50. MPs, especially opposition MPs, already know exactly what their positions are, and how they will respond to anything the government says, regardless of what is 'revealed'. This is not a bona fide attempt to ensure that Brexit proceeds. It's a delaying tactic, and part of a plan to weaken the UK's negotiating position -- not to strengthen it.

If you think there is no advantage for the EU to have advance details of Britain's approach to the negotiations, then I can only politely say that there isn't much point in discussing this.
Why?
The UK already has advance details of the EUs approach to the negotiations?
So why not also give the EU advance details?
Do you think the EU will change this approach if they know the UK approach?
Reply With Quote
  #6704  
Old 17.11.2016, 14:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,111
Groaned at 61 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,167 Times in 2,357 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

All this talk of A50 got me wondering if they've dug the road up again.

Quote:
View Post
Another secret Nissan type deal for jaguar landrover! What is this costing us
More to the point, coming straight off the back of her disasterous trade trip to India, what has she cost us?

Quote:
View Post
EU - OK, what do you want out of your exit
UK - We're not telling you
BoJo - pulls out the list of famous bands most ridiculous rider requests, plus a herd of brilliant white unicorns for his post-Brexit fantasy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7235996.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #6705  
Old 17.11.2016, 16:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,111
Groaned at 61 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,167 Times in 2,357 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

"Whose been a naughty boy then little Nige?!! You're going to get a spanking for this!
What? Your botty's still sore from your visit to Trumpton?
Oh dear...What a pity...Nevermind..."

Quote:
UKIP group 'misspent' EU funding on Brexit campaign, says leaked audit

The party spent hundreds of thousands in EU cash on polling ahead of the General Election and EU referendum, a leaked audit says....


... This comes at a bad time for the embattled party, whose finances are in a poor state, a situation not helped by major party donor Arron Banks threatening to stop funding UKIP.
http://news.sky.com/story/ukip-missp...audit-10660254
Reply With Quote
  #6706  
Old 17.11.2016, 16:30
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
"Whose been a naughty boy then little Nige?!! You're going to get a spanking for this!
What? Your botty's still sore from your visit to Trumpton?
Oh dear...What a pity...Nevermind..."


http://news.sky.com/story/ukip-missp...audit-10660254
LOL, we knew they were liars but now it is alleged they were also crooked.

Guess Nigel's chances of a Peerage are declining. Trump University is also facing a class action fraud trial in San Diego - maybe Trump can give Nigel some tips about how to handle such matters!
Reply With Quote
  #6707  
Old 17.11.2016, 16:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,057
Groaned at 131 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 3,742 Times in 1,429 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
LOL, we knew they were liars but now it is alleged they were also crooked.

Guess Nigel's chances of a Peerage are declining. Trump University is also facing a class action fraud trial in San Diego - maybe Trump can give Nigel some tips about how to handle such matters!
I thought being crooked was a legal prerequisite for being a politician ? I'm sure there's some EU directive saying so...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #6708  
Old 17.11.2016, 17:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,153
Groaned at 160 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,569 Times in 3,373 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You seem to think that MPs are making a genuine request for information to help them make a "reasonable judgement" on A50. MPs, especially opposition MPs, already know exactly what their positions are, and how they will respond to anything the government says, regardless of what is 'revealed'. This is not a bona fide attempt to ensure that Brexit proceeds. It's a delaying tactic, and part of a plan to weaken the UK's negotiating position -- not to strengthen it.

If you think there is no advantage for the EU to have advance details of Britain's approach to the negotiations, then I can only politely say that there isn't much point in discussing this.
I think you're right to point out that pulishing one's strategy and aims removes many tools and bargaining avenues, not least the possibility of a bluff.

OTOH if UK parliament is indeed the entity that's, to phrase it bluntly, in charge of things as suggested by being sovereign (which I'm not sure is of much importance in this context, I think being *the Sovereign* is what counts here, the position claimed by the monarch) then of course there must be some kind of common understanding of aims to be reached regardless of whether they're published or not.

Thus as I see things, May's refusal isn't merely part of Brexit proceedings, it's also a consequence of the internal power struggle between government and parliament. The £64k question is of course what one should prioritize, a question that's equally valid to pose to both PMs and May. Blaming one side for how they (don't) act inherently validates the other side for how they (don't) act. Nothing keeps the two parties from coordinating behind closed doors, perhaps to a small circle only, though that requires a minimum level of cooperation.
Reply With Quote
  #6709  
Old 17.11.2016, 18:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,111
Groaned at 61 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,167 Times in 2,357 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
LOL, we knew they were liars but now it is alleged they were also crooked.
And now he says he's "being victimised"

Little Nige turning into a snowflake for Christmas? Awww diddums! At least there'll be a part for him in the Trumpton Nativity, but I don't seem to remember any of the Three Wise Men bringing BS...

Quote:
Nigel Farage has denied using EU cash to try to win the South Thanet seat at the General Election saying he's been victimised.
http://news.sky.com/story/nigel-fara...-seat-10660743
Reply With Quote
  #6710  
Old 17.11.2016, 18:28
Fowl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

One consequence of Brexit: as part of increased security measures in Europe as a result of the terror attacks all non euro citizens entering europe will have to have a security clearance form available online costing 5 euros to enter europe.

obviously this will include u.k. citizens after Brexit

there were 40 million u.k. visits to europe last year

reported on bbc news last night

on a side note will be interesting how that affects Swiss citizens or schengen
Reply With Quote
  #6711  
Old 17.11.2016, 18:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
One consequence of Brexit: as part of increased security measures in Europe as a result of the terror attacks all non euro citizens entering europe will have to have a security clearance form available online costing 5 euros to enter europe.

obviously this will include u.k. citizens after Brexit

there were 40 million u.k. visits to europe last year

reported on bbc news last night

on a side note will be interesting how that affects Swiss citizens or schengen
It will be a charge to enter the Schengen zone so no negative effect on Swiss citizens or Schengen; UK anyway was not in Schengen so hard to claim this is a consequence of Brexit other than UK citizens will likely not be exempt?

Source
Reply With Quote
  #6712  
Old 17.11.2016, 19:44
Fowl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It will be a charge to enter the Schengen zone so no negative effect on Swiss citizens or Schengen; UK anyway was not in Schengen so hard to claim this is a consequence of Brexit other than UK citizens will likely not be exempt?

Source
Not quite, if you read your link, Ireland which is outside Schengen, but an EU member will be exempt from the fee. The same i guess would have applied to the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #6713  
Old 17.11.2016, 19:53
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,218
Groaned at 29 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 4,999 Times in 1,667 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I thought being crooked was a legal prerequisite for being a politician ? I'm sure there's some EU directive saying so...
While Juncker is poking about in UKIP's nasty little pockets, he needs to get back to investigating his own past and missing money/ tax payments, no?

Or has he buried that one?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
  #6714  
Old 17.11.2016, 20:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think you're right to point out that pulishing one's strategy and aims removes many tools and bargaining avenues, not least the possibility of a bluff.

OTOH if UK parliament is indeed the entity that's, to phrase it bluntly, in charge of things as suggested by being sovereign (which I'm not sure is of much importance in this context, I think being *the Sovereign* is what counts here, the position claimed by the monarch) then of course there must be some kind of common understanding of aims to be reached regardless of whether they're published or not.

Thus as I see things, May's refusal isn't merely part of Brexit proceedings, it's also a consequence of the internal power struggle between government and parliament. The £64k question is of course what one should prioritize, a question that's equally valid to pose to both PMs and May. Blaming one side for how they (don't) act inherently validates the other side for how they (don't) act. Nothing keeps the two parties from coordinating behind closed doors, perhaps to a small circle only, though that requires a minimum level of cooperation.
An Insight into the EU strategy; they do not seem worried to publish it
Germany’s finance minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, has set out a tough line on Brexit talks
Even after Brexit, the UK would be bound by tax rules that would restrict it from granting incentives to keep investors in the country and would also face EU budget bills for more than a decade.

The finance minister also insisted that Britain must stick to international rules on investment incentives, as with Nissan Motor. EU competition regulators have already asked Britain to explain what sort of commitments were made.

Agreements reached by the G20 industrialised countries to limit tax avoidance — an initiative, led by Germany and the UK, would reduce Britain’s ability to grant tax breaks to companies, even after leaving the EU.

Restrictions of EU immigration would end financial services companies’ free access to EU markets under so-called passporting rules and Euro-clearing must stay in the EU.

Source (might be behind a paywall!)
Reply With Quote
  #6715  
Old 17.11.2016, 20:15
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
While Juncker is poking about in UKIP's nasty little pockets, he needs to get back to investigating his own past and missing money/ tax payments, no?

Or has he buried that one?
You can relax
It is not Juncker poking about in UKIP's nasty little pockets; according to the link it is the European Parliament Bureau not the Commission.
Reply With Quote
  #6716  
Old 17.11.2016, 20:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yes, let's not go there. Bannon has already offered his services to Le Pen, so the next one to go will be France. Please not Germany as well ...
Le Pen has her own problems.
Court decision today
Quote:
A French court has upheld a decision by far-right leader Marine Le Pen’s party to expel her father as a member, but said that he can remain the honorary president of the party he founded.

As a result, the court Thursday ordered the National Front to summon Jean-Marie Le Pen to any meetings he’s entitled to attend as honorary president.
LOL, the world is always stranger than fiction...
Reply With Quote
  #6717  
Old 17.11.2016, 21:21
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,803
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,037 Times in 1,532 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not quite, if you read your link, Ireland which is outside Schengen, but an EU member will be exempt from the fee. The same i guess would have applied to the UK.
Except that at point the U.K. citizens will no longer be EU citizens, so I don't see your logic of comparing it to Irish citizens who are EU citizens. Furthermore Ireland only stayed out of schengen because of the U.K. so the may well be members by then.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #6718  
Old 17.11.2016, 21:43
Fowl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Except that at point the U.K. citizens will no longer be EU citizens, so I don't see your logic of comparing it to Irish citizens who are EU citizens. Furthermore Ireland only stayed out of schengen because of the U.K. so the may well be members by then.
May well be members of schengen - but not guaranteed - very good ;-)

No the article states that Ireland are outside Schengen and members of the EU and they are therefore exempt from the charge.

This would also apply to the UK if they stayed in Europe.

It doesn't say Ireland may be then members of Schengen and therefore exempt from the charge.

Slight difference eh?
Reply With Quote
  #6719  
Old 17.11.2016, 23:23
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Oh great, now Britain will become a huge tax heaven next to Europe.
It's gonna be fun.
Those darn Hungarians, Hungary announced today they will cut corporate tax next year to 9% and companies will have the benefit of access to the single market.
This is 3.5% lower than Ireland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #6720  
Old 17.11.2016, 23:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Brexit blamed for £100 billion budget black hole, Weak growth and big fall in sterling after EU vote mean government economic targets likely to be scrapped.

Britain faces a £100 billion black hole in its finances because of Brexit, Chancellor Philip Hammond will reportedly tell MPs in next week’s Autumn Statement.

Mr Hammond’s predecessor as chancellor, George Osborne, had promised the UK would be in surplus by 2019-20 and made this a core part of his economic policy. But this is now almost certain to be missed.

The pessimistic forecasts appear to be a vindication of Treasury warnings, made before the EU referendum, about the likely economic impact of Brexit on the UK economy.

Chancellor George Osborne warned in June that Brexit would lead to £30 billion of further spending cuts and tax rises – a claim that was heavily criticised at the time by the Leave campaign and many Conservative MPs.

Source

Public sector debt will jump, Mr Hammond will be forced to admit, by £100bn this year, raising it from 83 per cent of national income to almost 90 per cent from higher borrowing.

By far the largest reason for the Brexit hole in the public finances will be lower growth. With bad income tax revenues so far this financial year, it was “very unlikely” to hit the 2016-17 Budget forecast.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0