Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #9881  
Old 09.10.2017, 22:05
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,570
Groaned at 246 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 11,573 Times in 6,320 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

May confirms the European court of justice would continue to have jurisdiction over the UK during the “implementation period” when Britain leaves the European Union.

Source

Reply With Quote
  #9882  
Old 10.10.2017, 00:02
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,531 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
May confirms the European court of justice would continue to have jurisdiction over the UK during the “implementation period” when Britain leaves the European Union.
'implementation period' versus transition period?????? the devil is in the detail.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #9883  
Old 10.10.2017, 08:20
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,856
Groaned at 300 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 13,139 Times in 7,530 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
May confirms the European court of justice would continue to have jurisdiction over the UK during the “implementation period” when Britain leaves the European Union.

Source

Um, what bit of "may" didn't you understand?

"Responding to a challenge from Eurosceptic Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, she told MPs the need to ensure the minimum of disruption "may mean that we will start off with the ECJ still governing the rules we're part of for that period".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41546701
Reply With Quote
  #9884  
Old 10.10.2017, 08:33
StirB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,409
Groaned at 63 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,424 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Um, what bit of "may" didn't you understand?

"Responding to a challenge from Eurosceptic Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, she told MPs the need to ensure the minimum of disruption "may mean that we will start off with the ECJ still governing the rules we're part of for that period".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41546701
Not reading between the lines?

"may" here means "will, but I don't want to admit it and look weak(er!)".
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #9885  
Old 10.10.2017, 10:23
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,801
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,531 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Um, what bit of "may" didn't you understand?

"Responding to a challenge from Eurosceptic Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, she told MPs the need to ensure the minimum of disruption "may mean that we will start off with the ECJ still governing the rules we're part of for that period".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41546701
Straws clutching...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #9886  
Old 10.10.2017, 10:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St Gallen Kanton
Posts: 932
Groaned at 225 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,951 Times in 890 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Lol.


Its all gone a bit Pete Tong, hasnt it?
Reply With Quote
  #9887  
Old 10.10.2017, 10:35
pdofr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Aargau
Posts: 209
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 188 Times in 102 Posts
pdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Um, what bit of "may" didn't you understand?

"Responding to a challenge from Eurosceptic Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, she told MPs the need to ensure the minimum of disruption "may mean that we will start off with the ECJ still governing the rules we're part of for that period".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41546701
As an aside, I have a gut feeling that Rees Mogg is going to be a pain in the neck, sooner or later.

Very bright, making use of social media to carefully cultivate an image, totally right wing.

I have a suspicion he longs for the times when his family made their fortune out of coal mines.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pdofr for this useful post:
  #9888  
Old 10.10.2017, 11:53
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,856
Groaned at 300 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 13,139 Times in 7,530 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Straws clutching...
The only ones clutching at straws are those who think we'll get any kind of "soft" Brexit. I expect it will be a hard or no deal Brexit and always have.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #9889  
Old 10.10.2017, 11:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,675
Groaned at 252 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 13,087 Times in 7,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The only ones clutching at straws are those who think we'll get any kind of "soft" Brexit. I expect it will be a hard or no deal Brexit and always have.
Which is EXACTLY what the majority of people who voted for wanted, just to remind everyone stay or leave & without any options in-between.
Reply With Quote
  #9890  
Old 10.10.2017, 12:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,102
Groaned at 61 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,342 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
As an aside, I have a gut feeling that Rees Mogg is going to be a pain in the neck, sooner or later.

Very bright, making use of social media to carefully cultivate an image, totally right wing.
But his appeal is one of morbid curiosity rather than trust and admiration. He's totally unrelatable.
Reply With Quote
  #9891  
Old 10.10.2017, 12:04
StirB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,409
Groaned at 63 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,424 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Which is EXACTLY what the majority of people who voted for wanted, just to remind everyone stay or leave & without any options in-between.
That seems at best spurious guesswork.

Certainly the people who voted Remain can't have wanted that, so there's 48.1% of people immediately against. So of the 51.9% who voted leave, at least 50 of the 51.9% in your eyes must want Hard Brexit. So 96.5% of people who voted leave DEFINITELY want a Hard Brexit.

Pull the other one, it's got Glocken on.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank StirB for this useful post:
  #9892  
Old 10.10.2017, 12:16
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,248
Groaned at 179 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 17,592 Times in 7,467 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But his appeal is one of morbid curiosity rather than trust and admiration. He's totally unrelatable.
I think he could end up being the Tory's equivalent of Corbyn. A cult following, crystal clear and admirable views, but no real outreach to middle ground voters and no credible street level perspective.

As such it would be a mistake to make him a leader. However, as somebody to have around to stir things up and challenge people's views and kick start ideas he is quite useful. If the Torys are smart, that's where they'll keep him.

As Labour should have done with Corbyn.
Reply With Quote
  #9893  
Old 10.10.2017, 12:28
StirB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,409
Groaned at 63 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,424 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think he could end up being the Tory's equivalent of Corbyn. A cult following, crystal clear and admirable views, but no real outreach to middle ground voters and no credible street level perspective.

As such it would be a mistake to make him a leader. However, as somebody to have around to stir things up and challenge people's views and kick start ideas he is quite useful. If the Torys are smart, that's where they'll keep him.

As Labour should have done with Corbyn.
A little desperate. I think you might be attempting to equate the ridiculousness of Mogg with the Tory/Mass Media perception of Corbyn pre-election.

The fact is in the mean time, Tory stock has fallen massively and Labour's has risen. If there were an election tomorrow, the UK would end up with a Corbyn government, by any measure of polling doubt.

Having him crowing from the sidelines (with Boris et al joining in) is only weakining the Tory hand, so they have to do something, but Mogg can't be the answer, I agree...I'm just not sure who can be for them.
__________________
www.pubquiz.ch - for all your Quiz needs!
Reply With Quote
  #9894  
Old 10.10.2017, 14:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,102
Groaned at 61 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,342 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
A cult following, crystal clear and admirable views, but no real outreach to middle ground voters and no credible street level perspective.
Admirable? The man who believes abortion is wrong even when the pregnancy is as the result of rape? The man who is against civil unions? Admirable?!!!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #9895  
Old 10.10.2017, 14:47
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,762
Groaned at 499 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 7,910 Times in 3,104 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Admirable? The man who believes abortion is wrong even when the pregnancy is as the result of rape? The man who is against civil unions? Admirable?!!!
Similar views then to the former leader of your beloved Lib Dems.

And yet you still vote for them.
Reply With Quote
  #9896  
Old 10.10.2017, 15:02
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,011
Groaned at 95 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,974 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Similar views then to the former leader of your beloved Lib Dems.

And yet you still vote for them.
You mean the Tim Farron that has repeatedly voted in favour of same sex marriage in parliament? The Tim Farron quoted directly as saying “I am pro-choice. I believe that abortion should be safe and legal and that the limit should be set by science”?


Possible (but questionable) he had stricter views on abortion 10 or more years ago but despite the negative press is pretty clear now.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #9897  
Old 10.10.2017, 15:10
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,102
Groaned at 61 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,342 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Similar views then to the former leader of your beloved Lib Dems.

And yet you still vote for them.
They're very different people. Both are Christians. Both have strong beliefs in their faith. One speaks out about it and has the voting record to match. One refused to speak out about it, be defined by it, and had a exemplorary voting record on LGBT rights.

What one believes as a private individual, can be markedly different to what one believes is best for the nation as a whole. I don't impose my strongly held, personal beliefs on my OH, nevermind anyone else. That's the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #9898  
Old 10.10.2017, 15:16
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,762
Groaned at 499 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 7,910 Times in 3,104 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You mean the Tim Farron that has repeatedly voted in favour of same sex marriage in parliament? The Tim Farron quoted directly as saying “I am pro-choice. I believe that abortion should be safe and legal and that the limit should be set by science”?


Possible (but questionable) he had stricter views on abortion 10 or more years ago but despite the negative press is pretty clear now.
Or the Tim Farron that was asked if homosexuality was a sin answered "we're all sinners". But I forgot, we're only allowed bash outdated views if they're from Tories or Trump.
Reply With Quote
  #9899  
Old 10.10.2017, 15:19
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,762
Groaned at 499 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 7,910 Times in 3,104 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
They're very different people. Both are Christians. Both have strong beliefs in their faith. One speaks out about it and has the voting record to match. One refused to speak out about it, be defined by it, and had a exemplorary voting record on LGBT rights.

What one believes as a private individual, can be markedly different to what one believes is best for the nation as a whole. I don't impose my strongly held, personal beliefs on my OH, nevermind anyone else. That's the difference.
Or put another way, one has the courage of his convictions and the other is a shallow charlatan.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #9900  
Old 10.10.2017, 15:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 520
Groaned at 42 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 877 Times in 506 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
As an aside, I have a gut feeling that Rees Mogg is going to be a pain in the neck, sooner or later.

Very bright, making use of social media to carefully cultivate an image, totally right wing.

I have a suspicion he longs for the times when his family made their fortune out of coal mines.
Jacob Rees-Mogg is emerging as the new face of Russian political interference in the UK
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0