Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11161  
Old 17.01.2018, 23:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 2,111
Groaned at 61 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 5,167 Times in 2,357 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Oops, meant Labour's renationalisation policy.
Reply With Quote
  #11162  
Old 17.01.2018, 23:48
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,762
Groaned at 499 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 7,915 Times in 3,106 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Funny thing about renationalising the trains is that even if it were to work (which it wouldn’t) it wouldn’t help “the most vulnerable” just wealthy commuters, mainly in the South East.
Reply With Quote
  #11163  
Old 18.01.2018, 11:15
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,004
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,591 Times in 7,125 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Funny thing about renationalising the trains is that even if it were to work (which it wouldn’t) it wouldn’t help “the most vulnerable” just wealthy commuters, mainly in the South East.
That then begs the question; how are "the most vulnerable" benefiting from the system as it stands now?

You imply that they would be worse off under a re-nationalised rail link.
Reply With Quote
  #11164  
Old 18.01.2018, 12:40
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,688
Groaned at 253 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 13,123 Times in 7,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That then begs the question; how are "the most vulnerable" benefiting from the system as it stands now?

You imply that they would be worse off under a re-nationalised rail link.
Well the trains were unusable before de-nationalisation, Strikes, Dirty & rarely even ran.
Reply With Quote
  #11165  
Old 18.01.2018, 12:43
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,004
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,591 Times in 7,125 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well the trains were unusable before de-nationalisation, Strikes, Dirty & rarely even ran.
Doesn't really answer the question, though.

Given my friends' frequent spitting-angry posts on FB as well as being able to view their almost daily posts to Southwestern's site, it would seem the conditions you describe above are very much still there, except you pay through the nose for it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #11166  
Old 18.01.2018, 12:50
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 172 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 8,342 Times in 3,449 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
No need to import from the EU, unless they cut prices to match whats available in the open market.
Quote:
View Post
Are there likely to be fewer horse meat scandals sourcing food from the broader, open market? If standards are going to equal or be better than what we currently tolerate, will costs also be lower? Curious to connect the dots.
Still curious.



Quote:
View Post
Well the trains were unusable before de-nationalisation, Strikes, Dirty & rarely even ran.
There was a reason Maggie, Major and Co allowed that to happen. It's not been seen as a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #11167  
Old 18.01.2018, 12:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,688
Groaned at 253 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 13,123 Times in 7,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post

There was a reason Maggie, Major and Co allowed that to happen. It's not been seen as a good thing.
I disagree, what Maggie did was amazing, she turned the UK around. Poor people paid 34% base rate tax on income above £720 a year when she came into office.
Major was wet & never achieved anything.
Reply With Quote
  #11168  
Old 18.01.2018, 13:07
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,762
Groaned at 499 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 7,915 Times in 3,106 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That then begs the question; how are "the most vulnerable" benefiting from the system as it stands now?

You imply that they would be worse off under a re-nationalised rail link.
They don't benefit from the system as it stands now for the simple reason that poor people tend not to use the train regularly.

I didn't imply they'd be worse off. I'm stating any policy change regarding trains will have little to no effect on those worse off.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #11169  
Old 18.01.2018, 13:14
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 172 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 8,342 Times in 3,449 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I disagree, what Maggie did was amazing, she turned the UK around. Poor people paid 34% base rate tax on income above £720 a year when she came into office.
Major was wet & never achieved anything.
Privatisation worked out well for Railtrack and the London Underground Privatisation is the worst thing to do for railways, but selling the fambly silver for a quick buck provided only benefits to shareholders at the expense of the nation... and cost the lives of many. Be wary of triumphing free market economics at the expense of national interest.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #11170  
Old 18.01.2018, 13:23
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,688
Groaned at 253 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 13,123 Times in 7,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Privatisation worked out well for Railtrack and the London Underground Privatisation is the worst thing to do for railways, but selling the fambly silver for a quick buck provided only benefits to shareholders at the expense of the nation... and cost the lives of many. Be wary of triumphing free market economics at the expense of national interest.
Those train lines were not an asset but a huge liability, far better to sell it off to mugs.
Reply With Quote
  #11171  
Old 18.01.2018, 13:56
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 172 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 8,342 Times in 3,449 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Those train lines were not an asset but a huge liability, far better to sell it off to mugs.
Well, if the only motivation is short term self interest, I suppose you have a point. Bit tough on those who lost their lives due to such attitudes, but who cares?
Reply With Quote
  #11172  
Old 18.01.2018, 14:03
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,688
Groaned at 253 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 13,123 Times in 7,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well, if the only motivation is short term self interest, I suppose you have a point. Bit tough on those who lost their lives due to such attitudes, but who cares?
It's not short term at all, it's in the countries long term interest that the government does not operate everything. Remember communism?
Who lost their lives due to the sale of the railways
Reply With Quote
  #11173  
Old 18.01.2018, 14:11
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 172 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 8,342 Times in 3,449 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's not short term at all, it's in the countries long term interest that the government does not operate everything. Remember communism?
Who lost their lives due to the sale of the railways
I agree the government shouldn't operate everything. Referring to Communism is a red herring.

Many hundreds of people lost their lives due to negligence of the privatised infrastructure stakeholders. It's the precise reason Railtrack became nationalised not-for-dividend Network Rail. Would it change your mind if I went to the trouble of linking news reports, or can you take care of that bit yourself?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #11174  
Old 18.01.2018, 14:14
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,013
Groaned at 95 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,977 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I disagree, what Maggie did was amazing, she turned the UK around. Poor people paid 34% base rate tax on income above £720 a year when she came into office.
Major was wet & never achieved anything.
Ah yes, Maggie. One of the main architects of the Single Market.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #11175  
Old 18.01.2018, 14:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,609 Times in 6,342 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Britain will pay £44.5m for extra security measures in France to prevent another refugee camp forming in Calais or any other Channel port, Theresa May is to announce.

Source

Another Brexit cost; likely the UK will also likely pay France to increase British border checks that are carried out in France to avoid impossible handling of post Brexit goods imports in British ports.
Reply With Quote
  #11176  
Old 18.01.2018, 14:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,688
Groaned at 253 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 13,123 Times in 7,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I agree the government shouldn't operate everything. Referring to Communism is a red herring.

Many hundreds of people lost their lives due to negligence of the privatised infrastructure stakeholders. It's the precise reason Railtrack became nationalised not-for-dividend Network Rail. Would it change your mind if I went to the trouble of linking news reports, or can you take care of that bit yourself?
Your saying the safety record was better before which I think is a red herring

Of course driverless trains will make it so much safer in the future.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11177  
Old 18.01.2018, 15:10
StirB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,410
Groaned at 65 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,437 Posts
StirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond reputeStirB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course driverless trains will make it so much safer in the future.
Our railways are massively outdated compared to most of our "peer" nations. Bringing railways up to the spec required for driverless operation would cost an astronomical amount. Private companies aren't going to fund this.

Whilst not all industry is best served by nationalisation, the current state of our railways - massive underinvestment, managed decline, bailing out failing franchises with taxpayer money whilst watching profits sail abroad to Germany, the Netherlands and Hong Kong really points to the fact that even in the worst case scenario, nationalisation would be of benefit.
Reply With Quote
  #11178  
Old 18.01.2018, 15:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,394
Groaned at 595 Times in 452 Posts
Thanked 13,940 Times in 5,418 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Britain will pay £44.5m for extra security measures in France to prevent another refugee camp forming in Calais or any other Channel port, Theresa May is to announce.

Source

Another Brexit cost; likely the UK will also likely pay France to increase British border checks that are carried out in France to avoid impossible handling of post Brexit goods imports in British ports.
£45m is preferable to the long-term cost of processing and paying for thousands of opportunistic migrants once they reach the UK would be far higher.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #11179  
Old 18.01.2018, 15:18
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,004
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,591 Times in 7,125 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
£45m is preferable to the long-term cost of processing and paying for thousands of opportunistic migrants once they reach the UK would be far higher.
Maybe the opportunistic ones are few and far between though (is there such a thing as an opportunistic migrant who has parted with most of his life-savings to give to traffickers, travelled from, say, Africa in a leaky rubber dinghy over rough seas with dozens of others, then trekked across a thousand miles of mainland Europe?).

More likely they are "determined" and "purposeful", in which case border patrols in Calais isn't going to really stop them.
Reply With Quote
  #11180  
Old 18.01.2018, 15:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,762
Groaned at 499 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 7,915 Times in 3,106 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Our railways are massively outdated compared to most of our "peer" nations. Bringing railways up to the spec required for driverless operation would cost an astronomical amount. Private companies aren't going to fund this.

Whilst not all industry is best served by nationalisation, the current state of our railways - massive underinvestment, managed decline, bailing out failing franchises with taxpayer money whilst watching profits sail abroad to Germany, the Netherlands and Hong Kong really points to the fact that even in the worst case scenario, nationalisation would be of benefit.
Please google "Network Rail". The company responsible for bringing the railways up to spec is already nationalised
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0