English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Summer Time clock change (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/251370-summer-time-clock-change.html)

Ace1 18.03.2017 17:46

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2758362)
Usually people eat at around 6pm.

Eh? Speak for yourself. IME 8pm is much more 'usual' for most people.

Captain Greybeard 18.03.2017 17:46

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 2758350)
The farmers would be the first to let this nonsense go. Ever heard a stable full of cows complain at 5 p.m.?
And I vividly remember the disputes with my cat in the mornings :rofl:

I know that it wasn't the farmers, it's just the saying. And I know those struggles with our dogs too. But the one that struggles most is me. I'm a night owl anyway, but after the switch in spring I'm a total morning zombie for several weeks. Adapting to different time zones on both sides of the Atlantic does not bother me, but that one hour does.

omtatsat 18.03.2017 17:47

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
the Swiss not
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 2758367)
Eh? Speak for yourself. IME 8pm is much more 'usual' for most people.


st2lemans 18.03.2017 17:52

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2758362)
Usually people eat at around 6pm.

Only in the US. ;)

The only people who eat at 6PM in Switzerland are foreigners. :p

Most restaurants aren't even open at 6PM here. :rolleyes:

Tom

omtatsat 18.03.2017 18:02

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Well the oldies sitting in nursing homes in Zürich have to eat at 5 pm- in Summer!

And go to Hiltl at 1830 and you are lucky to get a seat. But I am not referring to restaurants. I refer to people at home
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2758374)
Only in the US. ;)

The only people who eat at 6PM in Switzerland are foreigners. :p

Most restaurants aren't even open at 6PM here. :rolleyes:

Tom


Ace1 18.03.2017 19:08

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2758379)
And go to Hiltl at 1830 and you are lucky to get a seat.

Presumably that's just down to their meagre veggie lunch not keeping them feeling full for long enough.

The same people will be queuing up for their falafel kebabs at 11pm, no doubt.

mr_muffin 19.03.2017 06:33

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Phew!! Luckily I have a smartphone that changes the time when he has to overinght and wakes me up at the right moment. If I had a job in the pre-smartphone era i would have gotten fired at the first solar time change :msnsad: I usually wake up and notice that the analog clock in the kitchen looks funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2758374)
Only in the US. ;)

The only people who eat at 6PM in Switzerland are foreigners. :p

Most restaurants aren't even open at 6PM here. :rolleyes:

Tom

Really? I have been living in the wrong Switzerland for the past 4 years then!:D:) Lunch at 11? what the hell....:D

st2lemans 19.03.2017 09:14

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2758379)
Well the oldies sitting in nursing homes in Zürich have to eat at 5 pm- in Summer!

And go to Hiltl at 1830 and you are lucky to get a seat. But I am not referring to restaurants. I refer to people at home

Up north is different, they're weird there. :p

Also, it's not possible to leave work at 17:30, go home, spend two hours in the kitchen, and eat at 18:00 unless one is Dr. Who. ;)

Tom

Belgianmum 19.03.2017 09:28

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2758612)
Up north is different, they're weird there. :p

Also, it's not possible to leave work at 17:30, go home, spend two hours in the kitchen, and eat at 18:00 unless one is Dr. Who. ;)

Tom

But they all eat their main meal at midday so don't need to spend two hours in the kitchen cooking dinner when they get home from work. Isn't that why wifey has to stay home all day in Switzerland.;)
Between 6 and 7 is pretty common for the Swiss around here, actually now I come to think of it most of them are Italian but they've been here a long time.

omtatsat 19.03.2017 09:36

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Yes the Swiss have corrupted the Italians in a big way. Bad!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgianmum (Post 2758620)
But they all eat their main meal at midday so don't need to spend two hours in the kitchen cooking dinner when they get home from work. Isn't that why wifey has to stay home all day in Switzerland.;)
Between 6 and 7 is pretty common for the Swiss around here, actually now I come to think of it most of them are Italian but they've been here a long time.


Guest 19.03.2017 09:47

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Greybeard (Post 2758368)
I know that it wasn't the farmers, it's just the saying. And I know those struggles with our dogs too. But the one that struggles most is me. I'm a night owl anyway, but after the switch in spring I'm a total morning zombie for several weeks. Adapting to different time zones on both sides of the Atlantic does not bother me, but that one hour does.

Totally agree. I feel robbed of that hour in the morning.. and yes, it takes weeks to get use to it.

If, it seems to me, that most find it nonsensical then why do we still have the time change? Whose idea was in the first place? :msnshock:

omtatsat 19.03.2017 09:52

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Blame this person



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George..._(entomologist)

Confloozed 19.03.2017 10:59

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swisstree (Post 2758629)
Totally agree. I feel robbed of that hour in the morning.. and yes, it takes weeks to get use to it.

If, it seems to me, that most find it nonsensical then why do we still have the time change? Whose idea was in the first place? :msnshock:

Weeks? Well you're quite the delicate flower arent you? Maybe when you are traveling more, it makes it easier to adjust in time differences. The only thing that pisses me off about it, is the bar closing earlier.

Confloozed 19.03.2017 11:01

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2758379)
t. But I am not referring to restaurants. I refer to people at home

So you mean the old folks home I guess then.

Captain Greybeard 19.03.2017 11:55

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swisstree (Post 2758629)
Whose idea was in the first place? :msnshock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2758632)

Actually, if I remember that right, the first person to suggest such a time switch, albeit in a slightly different manner, was one Benjamin (no middle-name!) Franklin.

speakeron 19.03.2017 13:41

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Greybeard (Post 2758696)
Actually, if I remember that right, the first person to suggest such a time switch, albeit in a slightly different manner, was one Benjamin (no middle-name!) Franklin.

Benjamin Franklin wrote about it as a joke, but he certainly put the idea out there. Modern daylight saving came about from a combination of George Hudson (first to seriously propose it), William Willett, and the Germans.

My solution to daylight saving is simply to ignore it, but I can only do that by having a workplace that's literally just around the corner and where nobody really cares when I come or go. (Isn't that sort of thing why we came to Switzerland anyway?)

mr_muffin 19.03.2017 18:31

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 2758624)
Yes the Swiss have corrupted the Italians in a big way. Bad!

Always been surrounded by foreigners, mainly french and italians, and I am proud to say I still have my dinner no earlier than 8 pm :msncool: . But then again, I have been here only four years...

Urs Max 19.03.2017 18:56

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Greybeard (Post 2758696)
Actually, if I remember that right, the first person to suggest such a time switch, albeit in a slightly different manner, was one Benjamin (no middle-name!) Franklin.

Wow. I would never have thought you're THAT old.

Captain Greybeard 19.03.2017 19:36

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 2758898)
Wow. I would never have thought you're THAT old.

You are as old as you feel. A few hours ago, as soon as the sun came out, I walked down to the lake. Stunning view with a sky scattered with bizarre looking clouds with sunny spots in between, sharp sun rays hitting the water and the still wet rock faces, plus lots of people sitting on the park benches facing the view but staring at tiny screens.

Boy did I feel old. I think I could have been there when ole Ben wrote his witty letter to the editors of the Journal de Paris.

Urs Max 19.03.2017 20:39

Re: Summer Time clock change
 
BTT.

In winter I get up while it's still dark and get back home when it's dark again. If the clock was shifted forward by one hour I might get home at least occasionally while the sun is still up.

So to me the real question should be why we have winter ("normal") time in the first place. Just use summer time all year.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0