Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.05.2016, 02:18
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,618
Groaned at 405 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 17,191 Times in 9,252 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

According to this article in 20Min here more and more firms are moving to employees using only mobile phones.

Always thought this was a great idea; no longer do you have to sit in your office - you are free.
Nobody knows your physical location any more
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.05.2016, 08:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,886
Groaned at 285 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 17,650 Times in 6,199 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Since we have Skype at work, I barely use my fixed line phone.
I use it really only for some specific conf call numbers that don't work with Skype.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17.05.2016, 08:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

You are not free. OH has one. It's just a way to ignore actual working hours & contact your employees whenever you want.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 17.05.2016, 08:58
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,530
Groaned at 192 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 18,067 Times in 7,360 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Unless you're on call, switch it off when you're not at work. It's not difficult.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 17.05.2016, 09:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 716
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 338 Posts
daffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputation
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
more and more firms are moving to employees using only mobile phones.
The story line actually is that everyone is moving to IP-based telephony.

This can be Microsoft Skype for Business (renamed from Microsoft Lync) - a rather fantastic enabler, in my opinion, for communication. Your laptop "is" the phone then (and much more).

Quote:
View Post
Nobody knows your physical location any more
That, my dear, is a pipe dream.

Microsoft Skype for Business, for instance, has technology built in which takes the IP address of the communication device ("the client"), performs a reverse mapping to a location, and then publishes that location to the "location" field associated with, and shown in, the Microsoft Skype for Business desktop client. Depending on the location sensing technologies in place, depending on the power of the reverse mapping technology employed and depending on the data protection scheme in place, you could be localized down to the meter. Anywhere on the planet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.05.2016, 09:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,618
Groaned at 405 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 17,191 Times in 9,252 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
The story line actually is that everyone is moving to IP-based telephony.

This can be Microsoft Skype for Business (renamed from Microsoft Lync) - a rather fantastic enabler, in my opinion, for communication. Your laptop "is" the phone then (and much more).



That, my dear, is a pipe dream.

Microsoft Skype for Business, for instance, has technology built in which takes the IP address of the communication device ("the client"), performs a reverse mapping to a location, and then publishes that location to the "location" field associated with, and shown in, the Microsoft Skype for Business desktop client. Depending on the location sensing technologies in place, depending on the power of the reverse mapping technology employed and depending on the data protection scheme in place, you could be localized down to the meter. Anywhere on the planet.
When you're logged in to a remote desktop connection or a virtual machine, Microsoft Skype for Business disables the Set Your Location field because it can't accurately rely on the location information through a virtual host.
Microsoft Skype for Businessuses the Location Information Service (LIS) based on a network map to detect your location. Then, Microsoft Skype for Business automatically publishes your location to the organization. However, when you use a virtual machine, or you connect to a virtual machine by using a remote desktop connection, the LIS can't accurately determine your location. Therefore, the location is unavailable.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.05.2016, 09:42
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,136
Groaned at 2,035 Times in 1,526 Posts
Thanked 34,693 Times in 16,479 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
Since we have Skype at work, I barely use my fixed line phone.
I use it really only for some specific conf call numbers that don't work with Skype.
I hate the poor sound quality of Skype.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.05.2016, 10:15
Aleydis's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 979
Groaned at 32 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 737 Times in 395 Posts
Aleydis has an excellent reputationAleydis has an excellent reputationAleydis has an excellent reputationAleydis has an excellent reputation
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
According to this article in 20Min here more and more firms are moving to employees using only mobile phones.

Always thought this was a great idea; no longer do you have to sit in your office - you are free.
Nobody knows your physical location any more
Mwah ha ha

The phone (contact) belongs to your employer, right?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.05.2016, 10:18
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,618
Groaned at 405 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 17,191 Times in 9,252 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
Mwah ha ha

The phone (contact) belongs to your employer, right?
Indeed, so you leave it in your desk, powered on and with call forwarding set to your private mobile phone which is with you on the beach.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.05.2016, 12:45
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,749
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,120 Times in 8,034 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
You are not free. OH has one. It's just a way to ignore actual working hours & contact your employees whenever you want.
Here is a top tip: Don't pick it up just because it rings...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.05.2016, 14:00
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 680
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 349 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

"fixed phone lines" as a technology, and as a communication method, had its prime many years ago, and now is in decline.

You can notice that in Scandinavia the number of fixed phone lines (both for business and for domestic use) has been in the decline for over a decade.

Sweden (number of fixed phone lines per 100 people):


Finland (data is a bit old, but nevertheless):




In Switzerland, which is a society that is not adopting the technology early, this trend has been 10-15 years late. But it will happen.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meeyat for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 28.01.2019, 19:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 726
Groaned at 35 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 786 Times in 401 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

I would like to revive this thread as we are just about to move and it is a good time to look at a new internet provider etc.

In addition, I am not up with the latest tech wonders.

Our requirements:
Internet for usual email, searches, information, shopping etc.
We stream sports/films: no comments please about the morality of all this - it is not illegal in Switzerland as I understand the law here. Totally frustrated by Netflix's and Sky's geographical limitations and offers.

Phone. two numbers data roaming abroad

My questions:

Is a landline (virtually included in the price) and cable internet still required? Could we use a mobile phone to stream onto a tv/computer screen and

if technically possible, is it still more convenient to have a cable connection?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28.01.2019, 19:32
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,806
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,512 Times in 9,559 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
"fixed phone lines" as a technology, and as a communication method, had its prime many years ago, and now is in decline.

You can notice that in Scandinavia the number of fixed phone lines (both for business and for domestic use) has been in the decline for over a decade.

Sweden (number of fixed phone lines per 100 people):


Finland (data is a bit old, but nevertheless):




In Switzerland, which is a society that is not adopting the technology early, this trend has been 10-15 years late. But it will happen.
Scandinavia as a whole, and Finland in particular has been pretty much ahead of the curve when it comes to mobile technology. I guess it helps that we're talking about vast and sparesely populated countries with an adverse climate meaning that fixed infrastructure is costly to maintain in relation to the revenue it generates.

That, and of course a population that is generally open to new technology.

It would be interesting to see up to date versions of those graphs. Have those trends continued or have they levelled off?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28.01.2019, 20:34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toppari has no particular reputation at present
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
Scandinavia as a whole, and Finland in particular has been pretty much ahead of the curve when it comes to mobile technology. I guess it helps that we're talking about vast and sparesely populated countries with an adverse climate meaning that fixed infrastructure is costly to maintain in relation to the revenue it generates.

That, and of course a population that is generally open to new technology.

It would be interesting to see up to date versions of those graphs. Have those trends continued or have they levelled off?

Nobody uses landline in Finland these days, nor have I seen or heard anyone having one in like 12 years. I was actually very surprised to see that being offered here. But now that I have actually seen that you are so much behind in technical things it's not that surprising
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28.01.2019, 22:25
xandeo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top right corner
Posts: 335
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 465 Times in 171 Posts
xandeo has an excellent reputationxandeo has an excellent reputationxandeo has an excellent reputationxandeo has an excellent reputation
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
Nobody uses landline in Finland these days, nor have I seen or heard anyone having one in like 12 years. I was actually very surprised to see that being offered here. But now that I have actually seen that you are so much behind in technical things it's not that surprising

...and still, Switzerland is so many light years ahead of the Finns in so many other things...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank xandeo for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 29.01.2019, 08:26
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,481
Groaned at 372 Times in 287 Posts
Thanked 16,299 Times in 9,249 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

You have to define landlines. Swisscom recently stopped offering traditional landlines for us anyway and we had to move to a new package that uses the internet via our router. Which is okay - until something cuts off the internet and then we have no phone to call and report the problem.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 29.01.2019, 08:33
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 141 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
You have to define landlines. Swisscom recently stopped offering traditional landlines for us anyway and we had to move to a new package that uses the internet via our router. Which is okay - until something cuts off the internet and then we have no phone to call and report the problem.
Another problem is that landlines often don't work now when there is a power cut as they also require electricity whereas previously when there was an outage the phone at least continued to work.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 29.01.2019, 08:48
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,751
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 378 Times in 300 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

I've not had a landline for over 8 years now. Been using VOIP instead. In the future, mobiles will simply be an internet device. Ever since switching to VOIP, I have been able to make calls from my phone using VOIP as long as I have wireless or a data connection. I have 5 VOIP numbers which all ring at home. If I want, I can configure my phone to receive any or all of these numbers. Downside is it does drain your battery, so only use it to make calls. Confuses the hell out of people, when they know you are on Holiday in the US and you are calling them from a Zurich number :-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank szhjcn for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 29.01.2019, 08:51
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
You have to define landlines. Swisscom recently stopped offering traditional landlines for us anyway and we had to move to a new package that uses the internet via our router. Which is okay - until something cuts off the internet and then we have no phone to call and report the problem.

Wrong.
One can register a mobile number with Swisscom in the case that the internet goes down. Its automatically is redirected to the registered mobile number if the internet goes down

Last edited by omtatsat; 29.01.2019 at 09:02.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 29.01.2019, 08:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Only mobile phones, no more landline phones

Quote:
View Post
Another problem is that landlines often don't work now when there is a power cut as they also require electricity whereas previously when there was an outage the phone at least continued to work.
Switzerland does not have power cuts
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at omtatsat for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile phones Minnxx TV/internet/telephone 5 29.06.2014 19:00
comparing mobile phones Scott66 TV/internet/telephone 1 19.05.2012 19:29
Mobile phones Jennimay321 TV/internet/telephone 4 21.01.2012 18:23
Any prepaid mobile phones with no contract? Shlarin TV/internet/telephone 8 26.09.2008 10:16
mobile phones Andy F TV/internet/telephone 6 03.01.2007 23:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0