Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.10.2016, 12:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greater Zurich
Posts: 558
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
higgsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeable
Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Post?

I understand VAT has nothing to do with the delivery company and will be charged, but how about customs duties (that 11/16 CHF + probable audit 13.00 CHF)? Is it charged the same if you use UPS, DHL,...?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.10.2016, 12:42
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 236 Times in 198 Posts
Thanked 21,851 Times in 8,938 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
I understand VAT has nothing to do with the delivery company and will be charged, but how about customs duties (that 11/16 CHF + probable audit 13.00 CHF)? Is it charged the same if you use UPS, DHL,...?
Nope it's more expensive if it comes by courrier.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.10.2016, 12:42
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,909
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,852 Times in 18,313 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
I understand VAT has nothing to do with the delivery company and will be charged, but how about customs duties
Customs duties also have nothing to do with the delivery company, and are usually 0.

However, processing charges do, and generally they charge even more than the Post.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.10.2016, 12:57
jamiebae's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Horgen ZH, Brighton UK
Posts: 275
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 114 Posts
jamiebae has earned some respectjamiebae has earned some respect
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

The fees when it comes with DHL are normally about 23 CHF on top of the actual tax due.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jamiebae for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.10.2016, 15:06
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW
Posts: 206
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 71 Posts
JoshT has earned some respectJoshT has earned some respect
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Yes, they are. And we have had a bad experience with UPS in the past. They sent out a (first-time) bill to us for duties owed while we were on holiday. It told us we had 7 days to pay, or the amount would be passed to a collection agency. I called to explain the first day we were back, assuming that it had already gone to collection, and the guy told me that there was nothing he could do about as the debt was now with the agency. I made the payment to UPS anyway, and - very fortunately - it turned out it was only going to be passed to the collection agency at close of business that day. So, we just squeaked in with the payment. Had we been back from holiday one day later, we'd have had an unpleasant situation on our hands.

A seven day payment window is ridiculous, and I've gone out of my way to avoid using UPS for anything ever since.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.10.2016, 15:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greater Zurich
Posts: 558
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
higgsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeable
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
Yes, they are. And we have had a bad experience with UPS in the past. They sent out a (first-time) bill to us for duties owed while we were on holiday. It told us we had 7 days to pay, or the amount would be passed to a collection agency. I called to explain the first day we were back, assuming that it had already gone to collection, and the guy told me that there was nothing he could do about as the debt was now with the agency. I made the payment to UPS anyway, and - very fortunately - it turned out it was only going to be passed to the collection agency at close of business that day. So, we just squeaked in with the payment. Had we been back from holiday one day later, we'd have had an unpleasant situation on our hands.

A seven day payment window is ridiculous, and I've gone out of my way to avoid using UPS for anything ever since.
May I ask about the amount of the charge please? 8% VAT + how much?

And they didn't even send a second notice?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.10.2016, 19:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
tonfisk has no particular reputation at present
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

The only worry-free experience that I've had is with Amazon.de. They take care of all the tariffs, and no extra charges/handling fee happens.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank tonfisk for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 25.10.2016, 19:39
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,909
Groaned at 2,389 Times in 1,737 Posts
Thanked 38,852 Times in 18,313 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
The only worry-free experience that I've had is with Amazon.de. They take care of all the tariffs, and no extra charges/handling fee happens.
I've bought motorcycle parts in Germany who used DHL and did the same, i.e. no extra charges for me.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.10.2016, 14:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
tonfisk has no particular reputation at present
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
I've bought motorcycle parts in Germany who used DHL and did the same, i.e. no extra charges for me.

Tom
That's good to know! If not Amazon.de, I always carefully control the order to be below the 62chf limit, including the postage. If DHL does equally good job on that, I guess I have more choice in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.10.2016, 14:57
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 207
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 145 Times in 87 Posts
theUser has earned some respecttheUser has earned some respect
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
I've bought motorcycle parts in Germany who used DHL and did the same, i.e. no extra charges for me.

Tom
As of a couple of years ago DHL has the same rights as Swiss Post for postal (non-courier) deliveries to Switzerland and the only thing they charge is the actual VAT without any service charge on top of that. It's definitely the best way for deliveries from Germany if available in shipping method selection.
Also, any EU site that collects Swiss VAT up-front will have the documention prepared in such a way that no Swiss Post inspection is required and therefore no fee is payable. I've had anything from ski equipment to kitchen appliances to bathroom fixtures shipped this way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank theUser for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 26.10.2016, 15:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greater Zurich
Posts: 558
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
higgsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeablehiggsboson is considered knowledgeable
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
As of a couple of years ago DHL has the same rights as Swiss Post for postal (non-courier) deliveries to Switzerland and the only thing they charge is the actual VAT without any service charge on top of that. It's definitely the best way for deliveries from Germany if available in shipping method selection.
Also, any EU site that collects Swiss VAT up-front will have the documention prepared in such a way that no Swiss Post inspection is required and therefore no fee is payable. I've had anything from ski equipment to kitchen appliances to bathroom fixtures shipped this way.
Is there any site other than Amazon "collecting Swiss VAT upfront"? Have you or anybody else had experiences with eBay.com?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.10.2016, 15:12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 207
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 145 Times in 87 Posts
theUser has earned some respecttheUser has earned some respect
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

It depends what you're buying - on eBay the shipping option 'DHL Paket International' means the package will be carried by DHL all the way (no handover to Swiss Post) and will have no service fee.
For ski gear snow-how.de will collect Swiss VAT (but will charge EUR 22 paperwork processing fee though the shipping itself is free).
For plumbing stuff www.reuter.de will charge Swiss VAT instead of German and ship with no extra costs.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank theUser for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 28.10.2016, 12:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW
Posts: 206
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 71 Posts
JoshT has earned some respectJoshT has earned some respect
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

@Higgsboson - it was a while back, so I don't remember the details about the precise amounts due, I'm afraid.

But yes, there was one single opportunity to pay (not even a reminder). And it was due within 7 days. So I've avoided them since.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28.10.2016, 13:47
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
Is there any site other than Amazon "collecting Swiss VAT upfront"? Have you or anybody else had experiences with eBay.com?
As ebay.com is not a single seller or shop it heavely depends on the actual seller and the available shipping options.
If the seller offer the eBay Global Shipping Program then the shipping price you see is the price you pay.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 28.10.2016, 14:08
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are import duties charged even if you use a shipping company other than Swiss Pos

Quote:
View Post
I understand VAT has nothing to do with the delivery company and will be charged, but how about customs duties Is it charged the same if you use UPS, DHL,...?
Duty, like VAT, is charged when it is above CHF 5.
Duty depends on type of good, shipping weight and original country of manufacturing. You can get the actual tariffs from: http://xtares.admin.ch
If duty is levied the courier may charge a processing fee.

Tabaco, alcohol, precious metals, radioactive materials, Cultural property and salt extra taxes are levied from the very first rappen if send by courier/post.
For procssing this taxes the courier may charge extra processing fees.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
customs duties, online shopping, vat




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It may be a good time to buy into Swiss Francs if you're savings are in other currenc Horatio Gonzales Finance/banking/taxation 138 17.12.2015 17:54
Keeping the B permit even if staying outside for more than 3 months RanaRocks Permits/visas/government 9 28.09.2014 22:09
Why some Expats complain about the Swiss attitude if they are even worse? Candy-BOS-MA Complaints corner 164 05.06.2014 07:20
if the company you are working for is sold or closed down.... tesla Employment 3 24.02.2010 20:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0