Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 23.11.2016, 23:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 68
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Diamondback has annoyed a few people around hereDiamondback has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Hospital Cost

Well, maybe next time, instead of rushing off to a hospital (where they'll probably keep you waiting for hours anyway), I suggest you go to the nearest pharmacy. The staff there all have some level of medical training and they won't charge you anything for their advice. You'd be out the door in a few minutes with no charge.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Diamondback for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 23.11.2016, 23:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 29
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jacheka has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
Well, maybe next time, instead of rushing off to a hospital (where they'll probably keep you waiting for hours anyway), I suggest you go to the nearest pharmacy. The staff there all have some level of medical training and they won't charge you anything for their advice. You'd be out the door in a few minutes with no charge.
Yes Diamondback, that's a precious lesson for me today... In fact I'd hesitated a bit before going there, but things have happened and I couldn't live again this day haha

Poor student lol

I will tell you as far as I've got any refund

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 24.11.2016, 01:27
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 220
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 236 Times in 85 Posts
MarKanLu is considered knowledgeableMarKanLu is considered knowledgeableMarKanLu is considered knowledgeable
Re: Hospital Cost

I suggest you save some money for when the final bill arrives! The preliminary bill (that you already paid) is only an estimate. It is possible that the final bill is somewhat higher [*]. The rates for "emergency" treatment at the hospital are even higher than standard rates (which is what you would have paid at your GP).
[*] I was insured by Swisscare for my first pregnancy and I went through the same every time I went for a checkup at the Unispital in Zurich: First I paid the estimate (provisional bill) and after a couple of weeks I received the final invoice (which I submitted to Swisscare for refund).

Apart from that, I hope you remain healthy for the remaining duration of your studies.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MarKanLu for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 24.11.2016, 17:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,112
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 10,336 Times in 4,231 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
If you have a 1000.- franchise, then you'll start seeing 90% of your money back only AFTER you've paid the first 1000.- yourself out of your pocket... that's the point of a franchise.
The medical insurance company can begin to count that Fr. 1000 only once they know about it. Even if you know that you have incurred lower costs that your franchise, and even if when hospitals or doctors send the bills directly to the medical insurance company, make sure you get your own copy.

By submitting the bill to the medical insurance company, you start their procedure of counting down from the franchise you have (in your case Fr. 1000). As long as you're under the franchise, they will naturally decline to pay, that makes sense. If, later, you have further bills, full medical insurance cover can kick in only once you've documented that you've crossed the threshold of the franchise.

Some people like to send the paperwork to the medical insurance right away, as soon as they receive the bill. Others prefer not to submit the bill while they're still below the franchise but to collect the bills together until they see that their own costs have exceeded the franchise, and then submit all the "franchise filling" bills at once.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 24.11.2016, 17:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
Sounds extreme, last time I had a 5 min consultation (in Zurich) I was billed only about 20-30 Fr or so for it.

There is a big difference between a consultation, a treatment and the issuance of a repeat prescription.

Chf 20-30.-- is the charge for the latter.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 24.11.2016, 21:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 29
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jacheka has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
I suggest you save some money for when the final bill arrives! The preliminary bill (that you already paid) is only an estimate. It is possible that the final bill is somewhat higher [*]. The rates for "emergency" treatment at the hospital are even higher than standard rates (which is what you would have paid at your GP).
[*] I was insured by Swisscare for my first pregnancy and I went through the same every time I went for a checkup at the Unispital in Zurich: First I paid the estimate (provisional bill) and after a couple of weeks I received the final invoice (which I submitted to Swisscare for refund).

Apart from that, I hope you remain healthy for the remaining duration of your studies.
Perfect! Next year I'm gonna cut my finger so that the bill can go up to 1k franchise LOOOOOOOL
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Jacheka for this post:
  #27  
Old 24.11.2016, 22:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
Perfect! Next year I'm gonna cut my finger so that the bill can go up to 1k franchise LOOOOOOOL
Great idea, but don't complain when the increase premiums again to cover the costs of unnecessary treatments
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 25.11.2016, 14:26
Vlh22's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK, formerly Vaud
Posts: 1,321
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,983 Times in 642 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Just for future reference, if you live in Lausanne, the best place to go for eye-related emergencies is the Hôpital Ophtalmoque Jules-Gonin. http://www.asile-aveugles.ch/hopital...les-gonin.aspx

While you will still have to wait if it is classed as a lower priority, you will be seen by qualified eye specialists. At the CHUV you will be waiting alongside people with all sorts of health emergencies... At the eye hospital you will only be waiting alongside people with eye problems.

When I had eye problems and I could't see my opthalmologist, this was where I was told to go.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Vlh22 for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 25.11.2016, 14:35
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,523
Groaned at 191 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 18,051 Times in 7,354 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
...
When I had eye problems and I could't see my opthalmologist, this was where I was told to go.
Are they bigger there or more brightly lit? Reminds me of when I went to my doctor, complaining about seeing dots everywhere - he asked me if I'd ever seen a psychiatrist. "No, only dots".
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 26.11.2016, 09:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Hospital Cost

normal costs. A doctors appointment in Zürich will be minimum 60 CHF
Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone,

Today I went to CHUV-the hospital in Lausanne- to check my eye. It was only 5 minutes for my meeting with a doctor because she checked my eye and concluded there is no problem (just a dust getting in my eye and it's swollen a bit).

When I paid the bill, it was 100CHF and I was shocked. Although they said the refund, if any, will be sent back after 3 weeks, I still feel worried and nervous. I know Switzerland is expensive, but just a 5 minute eye check can really cost 100CHF?

Have you ever experience the same thing? Can you please share it with me? I would thank you very much!

Have a nice day! :d
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 29.12.2016, 15:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 29
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jacheka has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hospital Cost

Hi everyone, I got the bill today. Instead of getting some refund from the hospital as I hoped, I have to pay 40 CHF more.

Now I really know Switzerland.

It was no problem with my eye!

Crying today!


Wonder if Swiss people have to pay anything when they go to hospital....
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at Jacheka for this post:
  #32  
Old 29.12.2016, 15:22
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Hospital Cost

Well what do you think? Its all free for the Swiss ?
Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone, I got the bill today. Instead of getting some refund from the hospital as I hoped, I have to pay 40 CHF more.

Now I really know Switzerland.

It was no problem with my eye!

Crying today!


Wonder if Swiss people have to pay anything when they go to hospital....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 29.12.2016, 15:40
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,118
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,153 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Yes, we Swiss have to pay just as everybody else has to for medical services.
I fail to see how you can now "know" my homecountry, just because you got billed for a service rendered to you.

For the next time when you suffer from a MINOR ailment, instead of clogging up an emergency department's valuable time and resources......

Go to a pharmacy (usually free of charge), they can just as well assess what is wrong or are at least trained enough medically to advise you whether you really need the ER of a hospital or if you could make an appointment with a doctor. And as you state that your french is not up to par yet, they would certainly help you secure an appointment with a doctor and make the phone call for you!


btw, an emergency appointment with a GP would've cost you just as much.
__________________
Voluntary SWISS shoe -horn to Expats since 1999, do I get a medal now?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EastEnders for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 29.12.2016, 15:40
whitehummingbird's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 29
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
whitehummingbird has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hospital Cost

We took the little one to the ER because she got too friendly with a cactus plant (true story). I was hoping for a quick sedation and removal of thorns with good lighting /right equipment. 2 hospitals and many painful hours later we discovered a few things:
- ER rooms are not equipped with tweezers. You should bring your own.
- What should be a pretty straightforward procedure needs to be researched, brainstormed and approved by the whole medical team in turn.
- Calibration of medical instruments to perform said procedure may be off for up to 15%. Add another 20% human error margin to the sedation dosage of an infant.

Back at home that night after the long and COMPLETELY USELESS ordeal, I painstakingly removed 148 thorns from the lo by hand. Took about 3 hours.

Total hospital bill? CHF500
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank whitehummingbird for this useful post:
This user groans at whitehummingbird for this post:
  #35  
Old 29.12.2016, 16:33
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,467
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,867 Times in 6,729 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone, I got the bill today. Instead of getting some refund from the hospital as I hoped, I have to pay 40 CHF more.

Now I really know Switzerland.

It was no problem with my eye!

Crying today!

Wonder if Swiss people have to pay anything when they go to hospital....
Naaa, we get it all for free, you see our costs are covered by the payments of the foreigners. Why do you think we have such a high percentage of foreigners?

Quote:
View Post
For the next time when you suffer from a MINOR ailment, instead of clogging up an emergency department's valuable time and resources......

Go to a pharmacy (usually free of charge), they can just as well assess what is wrong or are at least trained enough medically to advise you whether you really need the ER of a hospital or if you could make an appointment with a doctor. And as you state that your french is not up to par yet, they would certainly help you secure an appointment with a doctor and make the phone call for you!

btw, an emergency appointment with a GP would've cost you just as much.
First of all, in Switzerland you only go to ER at the hospital when you have ... a heart attack or something that is an emergency . That's the first thing our guests don't get. Secondly, GP's always have emergency-service, they usually team up for that in order to avoid each doctor having to be on alert 24/7 in case someone wants him/her to look at an eye which nothing is wrong with.

Oh and I think that the less emergency the cases turn out to be, the higher the bill. For example if you call an ambulance when not really necessary you pay it all yourself (in this town its 7xx.00 franks!). If truly necessary it's payed by your insurance fully or in parts. I know a lot of people who had to learn that the hard way.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 29.12.2016, 17:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 29
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jacheka has no particular reputation at present
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
Yes, we Swiss have to pay just as everybody else has to for medical services.
I fail to see how you can now "know" my homecountry, just because you got billed for a service rendered to you.

For the next time when you suffer from a MINOR ailment, instead of clogging up an emergency department's valuable time and resources......

Go to a pharmacy (usually free of charge), they can just as well assess what is wrong or are at least trained enough medically to advise you whether you really need the ER of a hospital or if you could make an appointment with a doctor. And as you state that your french is not up to par yet, they would certainly help you secure an appointment with a doctor and make the phone call for you!


btw, an emergency appointment with a GP would've cost you just as much.
I said "now i know", it just means now i can see why people said switzerland is one of the most expensive country in the world. the services here of course are the best too, with the best people working for it, no doubt.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jacheka for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 29.12.2016, 18:03
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,523
Groaned at 191 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 18,051 Times in 7,354 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
I said "now i know", it just means now i can see why people said switzerland is one of the most expensive country in the world. the services here of course are the best too, with the best people working for it, no doubt.
Compare medical costs (premiums and excess) here, with the amount extracted by the UK government for NI, and you'll find that, as a percentage of salary, you're probably better off here.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 29.12.2016, 18:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,126
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,522 Posts
Thanked 34,676 Times in 16,470 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
First of all, in Switzerland you only go to ER at the hospital when you have ... a heart attack or something that is an emergency .
Around here you also go if the GP is unavailable, or if the GP doesn't have all the necessary equipment.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 29.12.2016, 18:48
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,467
Groaned at 183 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 12,867 Times in 6,729 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
Around here you also go if the GP is unavailable, or if the GP doesn't have all the necessary equipment.

Tom
Yes, but then HE sends you there. (Same here)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 29.12.2016, 18:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,126
Groaned at 2,025 Times in 1,522 Posts
Thanked 34,676 Times in 16,470 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hospital Cost

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but then HE sends you there. (Same here)
Or she.

Our backup GP is a woman (whose office is in our building), though our main GPs are men (we have different GPs).

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nyon Hospital or Morges Hospital for birth AussieBrit Family matters/health 15 04.06.2017 16:20
Rheinfelden hospital fluffylily Family matters/health 6 03.01.2015 16:35
Estimated cost of childbirth in Geneva hospital? mightymarce Family matters/health 5 04.06.2014 10:17
Possibility of employment of a nurse in hospital without hospital experience humpy_jampy Employment 5 04.04.2013 15:51
Hospital Bags: What to pack for the stay at the hospital after birth pixie4bears Family matters/health 97 10.05.2011 10:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0