Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.05.2017, 06:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aubonne
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
LIBRANS has no particular reputation at present
Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Hi all
I may be making the move to Etoy in August and I'm absolutely in trepidation of it as I've never lived and worked in mainland Europe- Could anyone tell me what the lifestyle is like, accommodation and what it may be like to teach out there at an International school? Any advice will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.05.2017, 15:13
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,249
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,425 Times in 2,262 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

So I imagine you will be working at GEMS located in Etoy.

Etoy is a big box shopping area (as close as Switzerland had them) and does not really have any areas that would be of interest to you. If you look on a map there is an an area towards the lake where people live, but ...

I would suggest that you find someplace in Morges (Lausanne direction) where you can get around on public transportation easily and take one of the regional trains to Etoy and walk 5 minutes to the school. There is also a bus that runs from Morges to Etoy.

From Morges you can also get to any of the larger cities in the area such as Lausanne.

Depending on your interests you could also go as far as Lausanne. Travel time from station to station is about 25 minutes.
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try(ing). Yoda
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.05.2017, 15:24
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 207
Groaned at 68 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Thomaz is considered unworthyThomaz is considered unworthyThomaz is considered unworthyThomaz is considered unworthy
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Quote:
View Post
So I imagine you will be working at GEMS located in Etoy.

Etoy is a big box shopping area (as close as Switzerland had them) and does not really have any areas that would be of interest to you. If you look on a map there is an an area towards the lake where people live, but ...

I would suggest that you find someplace in Morges (Lausanne direction) where you can get around on public transportation easily and take one of the regional trains to Etoy and walk 5 minutes to the school. There is also a bus that runs from Morges to Etoy.

From Morges you can also get to any of the larger cities in the area such as Lausanne.

Depending on your interests you could also go as far as Lausanne. Travel time from station to station is about 25 minutes.
Hey Verbier!

Is Lausanne beautiful and cheap?

Rents, groceries, transport...etc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.05.2017, 15:44
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,489
Groaned at 372 Times in 287 Posts
Thanked 16,317 Times in 9,258 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Beautiful, sort of. Cheap - no.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 30.05.2017, 16:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aubonne
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
LIBRANS has no particular reputation at present
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Quote:
View Post
So I imagine you will be working at GEMS located in Etoy.

Etoy is a big box shopping area (as close as Switzerland had them) and does not really have any areas that would be of interest to you. If you look on a map there is an an area towards the lake where people live, but ...

I would suggest that you find someplace in Morges (Lausanne direction) where you can get around on public transportation easily and take one of the regional trains to Etoy and walk 5 minutes to the school. There is also a bus that runs from Morges to Etoy.

From Morges you can also get to any of the larger cities in the area such as Lausanne.

Depending on your interests you could also go as far as Lausanne. Travel time from station to station is about 25 minutes.
Dear Verbier ..many thanks on the advice...and u r indeed correct- would you know anything about what it is like at the school?..... I see and hear its a state of the art campus but as we all know- what glitters isnt always gold so I'm fully aware that as any school , there will be issues - please do pm me if you would like to add/clarify there ..great info about Etoy - am I right to assume it caters for the shophoholics and so if this is the case, it wouldnt be my cup of tea..great to hear that there are places to spend your wee hard cash!...will investigate Morges as it does sound ideal- transport is one aspect that I will have to be mindful of as I dont think I'll be able to afford to purchase a car- not if public transport is cheap enough to get around by with ....
really appreciate the feedback ...thank you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.05.2017, 16:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aubonne
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
LIBRANS has no particular reputation at present
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Quote:
View Post
Beautiful, sort of. Cheap - no.
Haha! .... That cud be summat I can save up for ..maybe a Crimbo treat- Xmas shopping in Lausanne!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.05.2017, 17:06
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 207
Groaned at 68 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Thomaz is considered unworthyThomaz is considered unworthyThomaz is considered unworthyThomaz is considered unworthy
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Quote:
View Post
Beautiful, sort of. Cheap - no.
Is there a big difference of cost of living compared to Zurich or Geneva?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.05.2017, 17:22
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,382
Groaned at 349 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 12,410 Times in 5,960 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Quote:
View Post
Is there a big difference of cost of living compared to Zurich or Geneva?
As per Google:


https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...d&city2=Zurich


https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../zurich/geneva


And of course,


https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-li...le-person.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.05.2017, 17:56
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,241
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Etoy is like a big shopping area on the side of the highway, though i have a friend who is happy working at the same school if you are single (or not) enjoy culture and going out, i live in lausanne and love it. But it is expensive, but if you think you will be going there often for events it may be worth it. I think its pretty lovely and diverse, but to each his/her own.

Morges is really lovely but a bit sleepy. Certainly closer to etoy by about 10/15 mins. But trains are good so not to worry for that. Welcome!
__________________
'there isn't enough of anything as long as we live.
but at intervals a sweetness appears and, given a chance prevails'
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.05.2017, 18:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aubonne
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
LIBRANS has no particular reputation at present
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Quote:
View Post
Etoy is like a big shopping area on the side of the highway, though i have a friend who is happy working at the same school if you are single (or not) enjoy culture and going out, i live in lausanne and love it. But it is expensive, but if you think you will be going there often for events it may be worth it. I think its pretty lovely and diverse, but to each his/her own.

Morges is really lovely but a bit sleepy. Certainly closer to etoy by about 10/15 mins. But trains are good so not to worry for that. Welcome!
Ahhhh thankyou soo much amaraya!!!..Delighted to hear that ur friend enjoys working at the school - would you mind if you could tell me more about what your friend says about the students and general working for Gems ?...Yes, I am cultural and exploring and embracing the cultures is high on my list ...have to factor my head round the numbers .....and thank you soo much for a really positive welcome.... would be great to connect to a few before I arrive - I still havnt confirmed the position- mulling it over as they say! Many thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.05.2017, 18:06
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,241
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

No probleme! Take a look at rental prices and factor that in, its pricey so make sure to aim high ill talk to her soon for input but i know she is satisfied, for what its worth. If ypure on your own,morges can be a bit..... Sweet but id say lonely, as its a bit of a village, though a lovely one, people are reserved. Certainly touch base as you get closer to your decision, im happy to help
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30.05.2017, 19:53
Daff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 107
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 36 Posts
Daff has made some interesting contributions
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Etoy village is lovely and nothing like the very industrial part a few km away. All our neighbours are super friendly and speak English (when they heard me butchering French they switched to English and its remained so ever since). Rents are quite high compared to villages further away.
The GEMS school is lovely, our child goes there. A few people from Dubai have moved there recently, us included.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30.05.2017, 21:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Aubonne
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
LIBRANS has no particular reputation at present
Re: Anyone in Etoy/Lausanne ?

Quote:
View Post
Etoy village is lovely and nothing like the very industrial part a few km away. All our neighbours are super friendly and speak English (when they heard me butchering French they switched to English and its remained so ever since). Rents are quite high compared to villages further away.
The GEMS school is lovely, our child goes there. A few people from Dubai have moved there recently, us included.
Ohhh Daff .. Thats soo great of you to say!!! Glad to hear that the school is great and even more nicer to hear that a Dubaians have moved into the area- Woo hooo!! Music to my ears.. how have they liked the changed- weather wise in particular?..Do I need to bring my woolies over in August when I come?...Ahhh u too were in Dubai... even better!!! Its the whole change of scene that I'm anxious about- I hate the cold and don't fancy spending all my hard earnings on heating bills ...I guess Ill acclimatise but I know it'll be a shock to my system.. when is it thermal underwear weather?....
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GEMS Etoy versus ISL International School Lausanne hmronnow Education 20 27.08.2019 16:28
Working in Lausanne, schooling in Etoy, where do we live? MelissaH Housing in general 6 17.02.2017 18:44
Carpet & bathroom shops in Nyon/Rolle/Etoy stvjulia Other/general 0 01.12.2011 17:37
Anyone living in Etoy?(Vaud) Gary Tremble Daily life 2 16.07.2008 17:24
big nursery near Lausanne/Etoy? capenomad Other/general 3 09.11.2007 18:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0