Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2017, 15:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St Gallen (hopefully)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
silversson has no particular reputation at present
IKEA CH vs AT

Hello all,

Moving in two weeks to exiting village of Widnau. Near the Austrian border.

From there I will have the option to use either IKEA in St. Gallen or the one in Austria.
Does someone know if there is a significant price difference? Meaning that is the Swiss IKEA more expensive?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.07.2017, 15:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,343
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 994 Times in 589 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

I would compare prices in the online catalogues.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meerkat33 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.07.2017, 15:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,925
Groaned at 222 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 5,412 Times in 2,048 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Just when you thought EF couldn't get any lazier
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.07.2017, 15:56
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,361
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Billy shelf:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/search/?query=billy € 49.95 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/search/?query=billy CHF 49.95 in Switzerland

Pax cupboard one part:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/50214560/ € 70 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/products/50214560/ CHF 90 in Switzerland

Bjursta table:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/40204745/ € 129 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/products/40204745/ CHF 199 in Switzerland

Dunvik bed:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/S49171571/ € 1107 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/S49171571/ CHF 1345 in Switzerland

Anything beyond this I'm sure you can figure out. Some articles cost virtually the same, some are more expensive in Switzerland.

Factor in time investment, car/van rental, VAT, import tariffs, whatever else and you're unlikely to save any significant money. Even less so as the closest Ikea on the Austrian side doesn't exactly seem to be anywhere close to the border (then again I never shop in Austria so who knows).
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 06.07.2017, 16:19
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 929 Times in 431 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Quote:
View Post
Billy shelf:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/search/?query=billy 49.95 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/search/?query=billy CHF 49.95 in Switzerland

Pax cupboard one part:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/50214560/ 70 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/products/50214560/ CHF 90 in Switzerland

Bjursta table:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/40204745/ 129 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/products/40204745/ CHF 199 in Switzerland

Dunvik bed:
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/S49171571/ 1107 in Austria
http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/S49171571/ CHF 1345 in Switzerland

Anything beyond this I'm sure you can figure out. Some articles cost virtually the same, some are more expensive in Switzerland.

Factor in time investment, car/van rental, VAT, import tariffs, whatever else and you're unlikely to save any significant money. Even less so as the closest Ikea on the Austrian side doesn't exactly seem to be anywhere close to the border (then again I never shop in Austria so who knows).
Thank you for the helpful post - it's rare to see on here. I have no need for the info, but wanted to say your post is useful

On a side note, do you know if Ikea AT do VAT refunds?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Spinal for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 07.07.2017, 15:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St Gallen (hopefully)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
silversson has no particular reputation at present
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Great thanks all for answers, specially Samaire13.

In case I go to the IKEA in Austria will there be something the Swiss customs says will say about my purchases?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.07.2017, 15:43
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,294
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 16,757 Times in 4,376 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Quote:
View Post
Great thanks all for answers, specially Samaire13.

In case I go to the IKEA in Austria will there be something the Swiss customs says will say about my purchases?
Of course. You'll be importing it so will have to pay Swiss MwsT. Although you will also be able to claim back the AT MwsT. A bit of faffing about but for a large purchase it will make a significant difference.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 07.07.2017, 15:44
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,238
Groaned at 93 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,684 Times in 8,289 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Quote:
View Post
In case I go to the IKEA in Austria will there be something the Swiss customs says will say about my purchases?
YOU have to tell them, even if not asked, if the purchase has a value of CHF 300 or more

Please read this official information by Swiss customs (in English, you may change language on top right corner): https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home...itzerland.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 20.07.2017, 20:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
chbaar has no particular reputation at present
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

You also need to count on the cost of the "Vignette" http://www.austria.info/us/basic-fac...r/toll-sticker
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.07.2017, 10:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,032
Groaned at 348 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 10,388 Times in 5,490 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Quote:
View Post
Hello all,

Moving in two weeks to exiting village of Widnau. Near the Austrian border.

From there I will have the option to use either IKEA in St. Gallen or the one in Austria.
Does someone know if there is a significant price difference? Meaning that is the Swiss IKEA more expensive?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Personally I would also check XXXLutz, including in Germany (e.g. Friedrichshafen using the ferry).

If the seller lets you rent one of his vans on the cheap: Remember that, generally speaking, as a Swiss resident you can't drive a foreign-registered car in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.07.2017, 10:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
kiwii has earned some respectkiwii has earned some respect
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Maybe somebody should tell IKEA that there is a price 'mismatch' to save people crossing borders to save a few EURO/CHF/...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.07.2017, 11:00
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,361
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Quote:
View Post
Maybe somebody should tell IKEA that there is a price 'mismatch' to save people crossing borders to save a few EURO/CHF/...
Why? Prices tend to be adjusted to local standard of living and salaries, both of which are more or less the highest in Europe. Just because Switzerland happens to be located between other countries and people apparently enjoy going through the hassle of standing at the border for 2 hours on a Saturday and at times drive 100km each way to "save" 50€ doesn't mean Ikea, or any other store, has to adapt anything. Plenty of people who value time over money, prefer to shop closest to where they live, and are willing to spend their money in the country they actually earn it in...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21.07.2017, 11:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
kiwii has earned some respectkiwii has earned some respect
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

I see your point... a trade-off between time and money... like a lot of things in life. But if you look at your (helpful) post, the comparative prices are not even consistently different - seems rather odd.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.07.2017, 14:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 589
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 229 Posts
dbucar has earned the respect of manydbucar has earned the respect of manydbucar has earned the respect of many
Re: IKEA CH vs AT

Quote:
View Post
to "save" 50 doesn't mean Ikea, or any other store, has to adapt anything. Plenty of people who value time over money, prefer to shop closest to where they live, and are willing to spend their money in the country they actually earn it in...
Except for when it isn't "50" in question...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ikea bonus code ikea.ch/promo Forumfan Housing in general 10 16.10.2016 09:41
Furniture rental vs buying at eg Ikea Britmumabroad Housing in general 6 13.01.2015 02:35
Take a look at the winter second hand clothes at keboo.ch casiopea Commercial 0 20.11.2011 00:07
Ikea furniture prices CH vs USA (what did you bring?) DavidSJC Housing in general 9 21.06.2010 01:25
CH vs UK zuriguy Employment 15 09.05.2007 10:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0