Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 13.09.2017, 16:53
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 136
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 61 Posts
TexasT is considered knowledgeableTexasT is considered knowledgeableTexasT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Why so expensive

I agree, many things are freakishly expensive here. Lots of factors, but I think a major one is that we shop in an oligopoly market. Migros and its subsidiaries have half and Coop and their subsidiaries the other half.

Basically, there is very little real competition and someone is laughing all the way to the bank - with our money!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TexasT for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 13.09.2017, 17:31
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
Suspension tuning costs nothing though. And probably compared to the cost of the vehicle neither do brakes.

Obviously they have to do something to "justify" the difference in cost, I'm not suggesting Swiss consumers are stupid.

Just that putting a different plug on a dishwasher, or a different set of brakes on a car, isn't worth +25% or more on the cost of the product.
I guess you missed my post.

Swiss editions often include packages of options that are less expensive as a bundle then sold separately. Packages for Switzerland sometimes include include 'winter' or 'ski' packages, heated seats, anti fog stuff, ski racks, whatever.

Like I said above options that the Swiss tend to buy. I highly doubt Switzerland is the only market that this kind of thing happens in. In Spain I bet you they have the Spanish racer boy Edition by SEAT.

So... Not just different brakes and suspension.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 13.09.2017, 17:37
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,767
Groaned at 47 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,476 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
I guess you missed my post.

Swiss editions often include packages of options that are less expensive as a bundle then sold separately. Packages for Switzerland sometimes include include 'winter' or 'ski' packages, heated seats, anti fog stuff, ski racks, whatever.

Like I said above options that the Swiss tend to buy. I highly doubt Switzerland is the only market that this kind of thing happens in. In Spain I bet you they have the Spanish racer boy Edition by SEAT.

So... Not just different brakes and suspension.
I can only speak from my experience - you are right, the Swiss Edition models do often have different options.

But in all the cases I've checked (kitchen appliances, garden equipment) those options were cheaper overall when bought as European add-ons, or included in a cheaper "better" model based on European prices.

I'm sure there are exceptions, and it sounds like you have checked in depth for what you bought - but without that checking, my working assumption is always that Swiss Edition is an expensive unnecessary addon.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 13.09.2017, 18:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why so expensive

You're right TexasT. Competition, open market is staunchly opposed here. Protectionism, nepotism and all those last-century-isms are very rampant. A shopping trip to Konstanz is a smart option for most family, grocery shopping, especially if they're meat lovers. My Swiss neighbors however were very agitated once they learnt about my cross-border shopping! One even said, "we pay you high salary so that you can live comfortably here, not shop abroad". This basically explains the narrow mindedness and low education of the society. I earn my wage because I provide a high-value service in return. My employer (US firm) put me here in this dumbo-land because they couldn't find anyone suitably skilled locally. The "we"s are too busy on online forums instead of doing some skill building on Corsera. "Corsera, was ist das?", I often hear from those "we"s. So, I am free to spend my money as I see fit. Heck, I even maintain a EUR account with a German bank. CHF is too weird, volatile and artificially inflated, to entrust my future with. Overnight, the "we"s of SNB could do something to wipe 10/20% off.

As for grocery shopping, the effect is much smaller on any household budget, but Konstanz is a good way to deal with the inflated prices. Wherever possible, I also order stuff online from manufacturer's website, anything from Nespresso capsules to small electronics.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #85  
Old 14.09.2017, 12:28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: zurich
Posts: 356
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Jamboree has no particular reputation at present
Re: Why so expensive

OK - I'm going to add to the original question AGAIN.

I've read enough posts, including responses to this post that the salaries are HIGHER (or at least HIGH) here in Switzerland.

Can you explain more - I have NOT found this to be accurate for my situation.
I find the salaries to be average for the work I do/have done for many cities in the USA.

Are the salaries HIGH for the average worker, or the skilled worker, or the "no college degree" worker, or the executive or a certain industry....

To be a bit more specific, I took a paycut to work / live here in Switzerland. The roles are similar enough, not exactly the same, but pretty similar.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 14.09.2017, 12:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
OK - I'm going to add to the original question AGAIN.

I've read enough posts, including responses to this post that the salaries are HIGHER (or at least HIGH) here in Switzerland.

Can you explain more - I have NOT found this to be accurate for my situation.
I find the salaries to be average for the work I do/have done for many cities in the USA.

Are the salaries HIGH for the average worker, or the skilled worker, or the "no college degree" worker, or the executive or a certain industry....

To be a bit more specific, I took a paycut to work / live here in Switzerland. The roles are similar enough, not exactly the same, but pretty similar.
Average salaries are higher, i.e. the average shop worker can afford to live in an apartment, afford adequate healthcare and maybe take a holiday once a year.

A wealth gap exists but it's nowhere near as stark as, say, the US. Not many people here, by comparison, live hand-to-mouth.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 14.09.2017, 12:34
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,280
Groaned at 97 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 18,764 Times in 8,322 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
Are the salaries HIGH for the average worker, or the skilled worker, or the "no college degree" worker, or the executive or a certain industry....

To be a bit more specific, I took a paycut to work / live here in Switzerland. The roles are similar enough, not exactly the same, but pretty similar.
For the average and no college degree worker for sure. A Swiss supermarket cashier earns double to his US counterpart.
https://de.glassdoor.ch/Gehalt/Migro...ter-E10672.htm
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...er/Hourly_Rate


Here you can compare your salary to others in your field:
https://www.gate.bfs.admin.ch/salari...ex.html#/start
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 14.09.2017, 13:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
Average salaries are higher, i.e. the average shop worker can afford to live in an apartment, afford adequate healthcare and maybe take a holiday once a year.

A wealth gap exists but it's nowhere near as stark as, say, the US. Not many people here, by comparison, live hand-to-mouth.
Do you have sources to back up this?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 14.09.2017, 13:50
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
OK - I'm going to add to the original question AGAIN.

I've read enough posts, including responses to this post that the salaries are HIGHER (or at least HIGH) here in Switzerland.

Can you explain more - I have NOT found this to be accurate for my situation.
I find the salaries to be average for the work I do/have done for many cities in the USA.

Are the salaries HIGH for the average worker, or the skilled worker, or the "no college degree" worker, or the executive or a certain industry....

To be a bit more specific, I took a paycut to work / live here in Switzerland. The roles are similar enough, not exactly the same, but pretty similar.
Looks like you didn't do your homework before negotiating your Swiss salary.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capo for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 14.09.2017, 13:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
Do you have sources to back up this?
It's not exactly a challenging google exercise...

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/wealth-...n-oecd/6989850
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 14.09.2017, 14:03
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,153
Groaned at 2,042 Times in 1,527 Posts
Thanked 34,705 Times in 16,486 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
To be a bit more specific, I took a paycut to work / live here in Switzerland.
So did I, but living in Switzerland was cheaper than living in the US at the time.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 14.09.2017, 15:17
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
It's not exactly a challenging google exercise...

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/wealth-...n-oecd/6989850
It is from 2008...

Anyway, I was not challenging your claim, it's just that these USA and CH (or even any other Euro country) wealth gaps comparisons transmit a blurred reality, IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 14.09.2017, 15:54
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,361
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
It is from 2008...

Anyway, I was not challenging your claim, it's just that these USA and CH (or even any other Euro country) wealth gaps comparisons transmit a blurred reality, IMHO.
Here's some stuff on income distribution/inequality:

http://www.oecd.org/social/income-di...n-database.htm

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2172rank.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #94  
Old 14.09.2017, 16:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
It is from 2008...

Anyway, I was not challenging your claim, it's just that these USA and CH (or even any other Euro country) wealth gaps comparisons transmit a blurred reality, IMHO.
Yep, I agree. I was just trying not to lose sight of the OP's earlier question about average salaries here vs in the US (presumably from where he's used to).

I was making a general point that the wealth you see of people on "average" salaries, or even low salaries of people in Switzerland is likely very different to what he is used to in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 14.09.2017, 16:04
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,767
Groaned at 47 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,476 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
It is from 2008...

Anyway, I was not challenging your claim, it's just that these USA and CH (or even any other Euro country) wealth gaps comparisons transmit a blurred reality, IMHO.
With all the Trump news around there's been quite a focus on run-down bits of the US, and there are plenty of reports of people living in trailer parks or the like and really struggling to survive.

You simply don't see that in Switzerland because of the social support system.

So while there is a significant wealth gap here, the bottom boundary of it is nowhere near as extreme.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 14.09.2017, 16:07
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Why so expensive

People in Switzerland are chronic consumers-to the point of being sick.
Quote:
View Post
" Stupid " or just got used to the situation over the years and are comfortable with it and can afford it?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 14.09.2017, 16:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
People in Switzerland are chronic consumers-to the point of being sick.
Err... I'm a person in Switzerland and I have a make-do-and-mend outlook, combined with a sunny can-do attitude, thanks very much.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 14.09.2017, 16:13
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,153
Groaned at 2,042 Times in 1,527 Posts
Thanked 34,705 Times in 16,486 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why so expensive

Quote:
View Post
People in Switzerland are chronic consumers-to the point of being sick.
As they are in every other country on the planet.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 14.09.2017, 16:20
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Why so expensive

Transport services are also crazily expensive. In Konstanz I got a day card for 4 euro 50 no price reduction. For the locals I guess its even cheaper? Don't know for sure. Here a day card will cost 12 CHF I think-without reduction. And 6.30 CHF with. And the prices seem to go up regularly. So wheres the limit here!!!
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 14.09.2017, 16:22
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Why so expensive

OK there are exceptions but few and far between
Quote:
Err... I'm a person in Switzerland and I have a make-do-and-mend outlook, combined with a sunny can-do attitude, thanks very much.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is meat so expensive in Switzerland? (and so cheap just outside CH) aresid Daily life 133 29.04.2017 16:48
why is train travel so expensive? Desert Rat Transportation/driving 34 13.02.2013 19:13
One way flights - why so expensive? Amashie Other/general 24 07.02.2013 09:23
Eyeglasses -- why so expensive? dehansen Family matters/health 41 01.02.2012 13:18
Why is Raclette so expensive? chardie18 Food and drink 13 09.11.2009 22:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0