Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:36
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Theres also a saying " Mohrenwäsche ". It means to try to wash an anyhow guilty person clean. So here is the association of Mohr with guilt. So Mohrenkopf is anyhow denigrating

Last edited by omtatsat; 06.12.2017 at 08:52.
  #222  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
denigrating
You might want to check up on the etymology of that word before you use it.

Just sayin'.
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #223  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:42
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

seems ok to me
Quote:
You might want to check up on the etymology of that word before you use it.

Just sayin'.
  #224  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:42
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
You may be able to bring it back on topic by explaining why or how Mohrenkopf is racist, why you feel denigrated or whatever term best describes how you feel. I'm still looking for an answer to this honest question.
An honest question for you:

If you can accept that there are people that feel demeaned/denigrated/offended by the name Mohrenkopf, why is it so important for you to keep this name? Apologies if I misunderstood this, it just comes across this way.

I didn't grow up with the name Mohrenkopf, so I personally feel no attachment to it. I did however grow up with the Golliwog in the UK and when it was phased out I felt nothing. It was just a name connected to a brand or marmalade, and now it's gone I don't miss it (even if I liked it as a child, not knowing what it represented).
  #225  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:43
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,784
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,459 Times in 9,538 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
You might want to check up on the etymology of that word before you use it.

Just sayin'.
Nigris = ancient river from mythology that sympolically represented the border between Mepopotamia and Egypt.

Nigrate = the act of crossing said river, moving to Egypt and hence becoming African. Ptolemy and Pythagoroas were famous nigrates.

Denigrate = to do the reverse and leave Egypt. This was considered an unworthy and scanadlous thing to do, Egypt having much more ptrustic hillogliphs than Metopopamia. Hence the negative connotation of the word.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #226  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:48
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,784
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,459 Times in 9,538 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
An honest question for you:

If you can accept that there are people that feel demeaned/denigrated/offended by the name Mohrenkopf, why is it so important for you to keep this name? Apologies if I misunderstood this, it just comes across this way.

I didn't grow up with the name Mohrenkopf, so I personally feel no attachment to it. I did however grow up with the Golliwog in the UK and when it was phased out I felt nothing. It was just a name connected to a brand or marmalade, and now it's gone I don't miss it (even if I liked it as a child, not knowing what it represented).
My great grand father was the slave of a man called Dan.

Therefore your user name demeans me.

Will you change it?

If not, why not?

I'm honestly interested.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:50
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

In Germany they still call it Negerküss!!
  #228  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
Meanwhile, the Brits have "Blue Peter".

Tom
Love the bit describing the stories about the elephant.

Can you imagine that today..?
  #229  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,976
Groaned at 332 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 10,304 Times in 5,441 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
Theres also a saying " Mohrenwäsche ". It means to try to wash an anyhow guilty person clean. So here is the association of Mohr with guilt. So Mohrenkopf is anyhow denigrating
I didn't even know that word, I bet OP doesn't either. Plus, just because one obscure double-noun has a negative meaning doesn't mean its components do as well. Nah, I don't accept that.
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #230  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:54
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,784
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,459 Times in 9,538 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
An honest question for you:

If you can accept that there are people that feel demeaned/denigrated/offended by the name Mohrenkopf, why is it so important for you to keep this name? Apologies if I misunderstood this, it just comes across this way.

I didn't grow up with the name Mohrenkopf, so I personally feel no attachment to it. I did however grow up with the Golliwog in the UK and when it was phased out I felt nothing. It was just a name connected to a brand or marmalade, and now it's gone I don't miss it (even if I liked it as a child, not knowing what it represented).
If Mohrenkopf is offensive, what about people called Mohr, anglicized into Moore? Michael Moore is a guy who harps on quite a lot about people being suppressed and so on. But why doesn't he change his offensive name?
  #231  
Old 20.09.2017, 17:57
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,784
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,459 Times in 9,538 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
I didn't even know that word, I bet OP doesn't either. Plus, just because one obscure double-noun has a negative meaning doesn't mean its components do as well. Nah, I don't accept that.
What about the German proverb based on Friedrich Schiller's famous words?

Der Mohr hat seine Schuldigkeit getan, der Mohr kann gehen
  #232  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:02
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
My great grand father was the slave of a man called Dan.

Therefore your user name demeans me.

Will you change it?

If not, why not?

I'm honestly interested.
Firstly, to make a good analogy you'd have to get the basic components right. The slavers were the Brits, Germans, Dutch and Swiss (would you believe it? ) amongst others (Europeans mostly).

The Moors (not Moores by the way, to answer your other post) were the enslaved in this case (when the Mohrenkopf was created).

Look... lets just get to the point. You'd need to eat your own head, before I would change any names
  #233  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:06
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,784
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,459 Times in 9,538 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
Firstly, to make a good analogy you'd have to get the basic components right. The slavers were the Brits, Germans, Dutch and Swiss (would you believe it? ) amongst others (Europeans mostly).

The Moors (not Moores by the way, to answer your other post) were the enslaved in this case (when the Mohrenkopf was created).

Look... lets just get to the point. You'd need to eat your own head, before I would change any names
OK, so you are basically saying there are differnt levels of taking offense, and some of these are valid and others are not? And one's right to take offense is based on things that happened before any of us were born?

have I got this right?
  #234  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,976
Groaned at 332 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 10,304 Times in 5,441 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
An honest question for you:

If you can accept that there are people that feel demeaned/denigrated/offended by the name Mohrenkopf, why is it so important for you to keep this name? Apologies if I misunderstood this, it just comes across this way.

I didn't grow up with the name Mohrenkopf, so I personally feel no attachment to it. I did however grow up with the Golliwog in the UK and when it was phased out I felt nothing. It was just a name connected to a brand or marmalade, and now it's gone I don't miss it (even if I liked it as a child, not knowing what it represented).
It's trivial: OP wants others, strangers most of all, to do something for him. Clearly that deserves more than just "It's racist and that's how it is" even more so when it comes from a non-native German speaker.
  #235  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
OK, so you are basically saying there are differnt levels of taking offense, and some of these are valid and others are not? And one's right to take offense is based on things that happened before any of us were born?

have I got this right?
No, I'm saying your analogy doesn't make any sense. The Mohrenkopf wasn't taken from the name of the slavers, it was taken from the name of the slaves. Therefore being offended by the word Dan is like being offended by the word Switzerland in your anaolgy.

No one is asking for the word Switzerland to be changed, even if there is a history of slave owning.

edit: Tom, what are you groaning about this time? Seems the lady doth protest too much
This user groans at DanLF for this post:
  #236  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:18
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,974
Groaned at 1,989 Times in 1,506 Posts
Thanked 34,406 Times in 16,365 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
The Moors were the enslaved in this case
No, they weren't.

Please show me an instance of any enslaved Moor, except perhaps by Arabs.

Certainly there were no Moor slaves in Switzerland, unless brought here on vacation.

Tom
  #237  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:23
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,784
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,459 Times in 9,538 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
No, they weren't.

Please show me an instance of any enslaved Moor, except perhaps by Arabs.

Certainly there were no Moor slaves in Switzerland, unless brought here on vacation.

Tom
Exactly. They were soldiers. They were an army. They spread fear and terror but were ultimately defeated and finally mocked.

They didn't pick cotton or make jazz. You've got your continents mixed up.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #238  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,815
Groaned at 282 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 17,389 Times in 6,116 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
The Mohrenkopf wasn't taken from the name of the slavers, it was taken from the name of the slaves.
the only thing we know is that it was first used in Leipzig in 1892. we don't know why the baker used the name but probably because he had the impression it was a commercially interesting name in 1892 and needs to be seen in the context of history. it was a commercial product. commercial products' main intention is to sell. not to insult.
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #239  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,815
Groaned at 282 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 17,389 Times in 6,116 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
No, they weren't.

Please show me an instance of any enslaved Moor, except perhaps by Arabs.

Certainly there were no Moor slaves in Switzerland, unless brought here on vacation.

Tom
quite the opposite actually: http://www.historynet.com/how-long-d...ite-slaves.htm
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #240  
Old 20.09.2017, 18:33
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 229 Times in 110 Posts
DanLF has earned some respectDanLF has earned some respect
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
No, they weren't.

Please show me an instance of any enslaved Moor, except perhaps by Arabs.

Certainly there were no Moor slaves in Switzerland, unless brought here on vacation.

Tom
Yes true, you got me there, the English and German words do not have the same meaning. So Mohrenkopf means "dark skinned head" essentially.

Switzerland was in the slave trade involving people of dark skin, or in German "Mohren".

I didn't read about any "Mohren" slaves in Switzerland, however some Swiss families did own plantations with slaves. I think Switzerland's main involvement was financially through it's banks, rather than ownership.

Any chance you could not groan at me again? I'm just answering your question.
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long is a piece of string onei Jokes/funnies 12 13.10.2012 16:44
Is the St George's flag a racist symbol? scribble General off-topic 70 11.06.2010 19:14
The Swiss immigration system is 'racist'... Gav Swiss politics/news 184 04.12.2009 19:48
A foot in the door...where is the missing piece to this puzzle? anonymous86 Employment 7 03.06.2008 07:57
Is the English Forum racist? piko General off-topic 56 09.10.2006 12:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0