Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.11.2017, 00:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ZH/SZ
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Maciej has no particular reputation at present
Need help for my iMac

Hi All,

Anyone here with a decent knowledge of Apple products, especially iMac? Since I bought it 3 years ago it always ran quite slowly and was freezing from time to time. I did some cleanups (although it was almost new) and system updates. Nothing worked but it was usable.

Yesterday I was prompted with the system update to the latest version of Sierra. I agreed and clicked to progress. Unfortunately the status was showing "Installation in progress... Still counting time to finish" (something like that) for about 2hrs. Nothing was moving forward, no reactions to mouse or keyboard so I decided to switch it off. While starting, it shows some error message and is constantly restarting the machine in a loop. I have to switch off hard to stop. Unfortunately I have no idea and experience how I can tackle this problem.

I'd appreciate any advice if someone from the forum could take a look at the machine or maybe advice a good specialist in Zurich where I could give it for repair.

Thanks for help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.11.2017, 14:24
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,205
Groaned at 104 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,881 Times in 2,563 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help for my iMac

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

Anyone here with a decent knowledge of Apple products, especially iMac? Since I bought it 3 years ago it always ran quite slowly and was freezing from time to time. I did some cleanups (although it was almost new) and system updates. Nothing worked but it was usable.

Yesterday I was prompted with the system update to the latest version of Sierra. I agreed and clicked to progress. Unfortunately the status was showing "Installation in progress... Still counting time to finish" (something like that) for about 2hrs. Nothing was moving forward, no reactions to mouse or keyboard so I decided to switch it off. While starting, it shows some error message and is constantly restarting the machine in a loop. I have to switch off hard to stop. Unfortunately I have no idea and experience how I can tackle this problem.

I'd appreciate any advice if someone from the forum could take a look at the machine or maybe advice a good specialist in Zurich where I could give it for repair.

Thanks for help.
Ooops! Two hours is actually good going, can take up to six hours if you went full bore update with all the bells and whistles. Basically by doing what you have done has left the OS in a unknown state, but to really give you advise I need the error message.
You could try and boot in safe mode (press and hold the shift key after the start tone) and try and reinstall, if you managed to get the OS .dmg file, may be worth a shot. However a constant reboot hints on a corrupt kernel and if you can´t get the system back with what I have mentioned then the next steps are not for the faint hearted or for persons with limited knowledge of the Mac OS and you should get it to a apple store.
__________________
Lummerland
Eine Insel mit zwei Bergen,
und im tiefen weiten Meer,
mit viel Tunnels und Geleisen
und dem Eisenbahnverkehr
nun wie mag die Insel heißen
ringsherum ist schöner Strand
jeder sollte einmal reisen
in das schöne Lummerland
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.11.2017, 14:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 433
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 147 Posts
bowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of many
Re: Need help for my iMac

Could you give us some details on your configuration? Go to the Apple menu, select about this Mac and give us a screen print of that?

Press Command+Shift+4 at the same time, release, then spacebar, then click a window: takes a screenshot of a window only and saves it as a file to the desktop

I suspect too little memory from your description.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.11.2017, 14:39
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,871
Groaned at 311 Times in 208 Posts
Thanked 8,853 Times in 3,140 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help for my iMac

You need to advise fully details of the Mac. Ram, fussion drive, disc space available. i5 or i7 chip. To give an idea of the software upgrade speed.

Google Apple handler near you. I had a guy in Wetzikon fix my HD when it failed (Apple later reimbursed me).

Also you internet connection speed will also influence upgrade speed if including download. My iMac takes about 30minutes to upgrade.

I hope you a back up...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.11.2017, 22:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ZH/SZ
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Maciej has no particular reputation at present
Re: Need help for my iMac

Thanks guys for the feedback. Attached is the error/message that pops up for ca. 2 secs after the start (let me know if it's readable as my focus was too slow to capture it properly). Then it restarts again and again with the same info popping up.

I need to dig out the hardware details as I don't remember by heart, but I can assure you that I bought it 3 yrs ago as new and not the worst specs. It was a second computer at home and was used mostly on weekends to do some amateur graphical stuff for a website. There was still tons of space on the drive.
Attached Thumbnails
need-help-my-imac-imac_error.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.11.2017, 22:36
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,205
Groaned at 104 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,881 Times in 2,563 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help for my iMac

Quote:
View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. Attached is the error/message that pops up for ca. 2 secs after the start (let me know if it's readable as my focus was too slow to capture it properly). Then it restarts again and again with the same info popping up.

I need to dig out the hardware details as I don't remember by heart, but I can assure you that I bought it 3 yrs ago as new and not the worst specs. It was a second computer at home and was used mostly on weekends to do some amateur graphical stuff for a website. There was still tons of space on the drive.
You get THAT on a MAC??? That is not a question of the kernel being corrupt but how far can you corrupt a kernel.
Seriously, get that thing to a apple center, this is waaaaaaaaay beyond what you can do without specialist tools and the knowledge of how to deploy them.
You are not the first person to fall into the trap of: "wow-this-is-taking-too-long-must-pull-the-plug" The guys at the center will boot from a external drive and clear the aborted OS off the drive, may need to reformat it though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.11.2017, 22:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ZH/SZ
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Maciej has no particular reputation at present
Re: Need help for my iMac

I never would have thought that if the progress bar doesn't move for 2hrs, it should be considered normal Still... maybe I should have get advice from some Mac-enthusiast before playing around myself.

Can you explain what does the error say? What may be the actual problem?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.11.2017, 14:18
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,205
Groaned at 104 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 6,881 Times in 2,563 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help for my iMac

Quote:
View Post
I never would have thought that if the progress bar doesn't move for 2hrs, it should be considered normal Still... maybe I should have get advice from some Mac-enthusiast before playing around myself.

Can you explain what does the error say? What may be the actual problem?
Basically it says: "Kernel, she dead and I no longer knows my arse from my elbow, I am two fuses short of a circuit, me gone gaga. I'ma singing "Daisy Bell*"

(*reference to HAL9000)

Last edited by slammer; 22.11.2017 at 14:28.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 22.11.2017, 14:28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 433
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 147 Posts
bowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of many
Re: Need help for my iMac

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to give me a bootable copy of my HD on an external drive. I never have had to use it, but it is cheap insurance against problems such as yours.

Book an appointment with the Zürich Apple Store geniuses. This is not a fatal error, it can be fixed.

P.S. I hope you backed up your data, another use for CCC.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.11.2017, 14:43
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,063
Groaned at 137 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 1,921 Times in 899 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help for my iMac

Yup go to the Genius Bar. Anything that says panic in the first line is not good

I am sure they can solve it for you simply. I just hope you backed up recently.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.11.2017, 16:47
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 5,226
Groaned at 709 Times in 387 Posts
Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,203 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Need help for my iMac

Hello. Well I am an expert in anything Mac. Do a new install.Delete the hard disk .https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...pdate-3624050/
Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

Anyone here with a decent knowledge of Apple products, especially iMac? Since I bought it 3 years ago it always ran quite slowly and was freezing from time to time. I did some cleanups (although it was almost new) and system updates. Nothing worked but it was usable.

Yesterday I was prompted with the system update to the latest version of Sierra. I agreed and clicked to progress. Unfortunately the status was showing "Installation in progress... Still counting time to finish" (something like that) for about 2hrs. Nothing was moving forward, no reactions to mouse or keyboard so I decided to switch it off. While starting, it shows some error message and is constantly restarting the machine in a loop. I have to switch off hard to stop. Unfortunately I have no idea and experience how I can tackle this problem.

I'd appreciate any advice if someone from the forum could take a look at the machine or maybe advice a good specialist in Zurich where I could give it for repair.

Thanks for help.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.02.2018, 21:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ZH/SZ
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Maciej has no particular reputation at present
Re: Need help for my iMac

Just some feedback on my kernel error. So I went to Apple in Glatt. A guy instantly suggested system reinstallation on site. He told me the same as you guys that he doesn't promise full or any recovery of data, depending on the problem.

The reinstall took about 2hrs. I came back to check what's the status and the guy said that all is working fine! Indeed! Nothing lost, all works well, the machine is even working smoother than before.

I was lucky... And I didn't have to pay a cent! Thank you Apple people in Glatt Zentrum
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Maciej for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 03.02.2018, 22:00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 433
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 147 Posts
bowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of manybowlie has earned the respect of many
Re: Need help for my iMac

Thanks for the update.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03.02.2018, 23:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,833
Groaned at 56 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,479 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help for my iMac

The mother of a co-worker once tried to send a movie (several hundred MB) via Mail.app and completely wrecked Mail.app in the process.

He advised her to call AppleCare and the guy on the other side of the line spent hours setting up her router to allow him to remote into her Mac and fix her mess and optimize all kind of settings.

Didn't cost a dime, but she surely was impressed.

You know, Apple Stores have turned into "Fix-my-iPhone"-stores. They're probably glad when somebody shows up that doesn't have an iPhone problem...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apple, imac, repair




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help for my CV and Covering letter Swanlake Language corner 1 06.05.2015 18:13
Help: Need Dog-Sitting this Summer for my Spaniel! lauragstewart Pet Trading Post 4 10.01.2012 22:08
HELP I need help on my daughter 's party potota Daily life 10 11.05.2011 20:50
Need help from English Native , pls help proving my writing. SummerBreeze Language corner 13 26.04.2010 21:01
Help: Need Expat Interviewees for my Master Thesis!! Brownie Daily life 13 15.11.2008 21:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0