Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27.02.2018, 08:08
Swiss Cheddar's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,120
Groaned at 45 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,209 Posts
Swiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond repute
How to make friends with a Swiss person...



cheers
SC
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Swiss Cheddar for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 27.02.2018, 08:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 77
Groaned at 46 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
tralala1 has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

It's very quick and easy, unless you already master the language or speak German, once they know you are an expat, they will be polite but won't be friend with you.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at tralala1 for this post:
  #3  
Old 27.02.2018, 08:15
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,472
Groaned at 207 Times in 179 Posts
Thanked 6,990 Times in 3,496 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
It's very quick and easy, unless you already master the language or speak German, once they know you are an expat, they will be polite but won't be friend with you.
Come on, it depends on both sides, generally saying that the Swiss do not befriend foreigners/expats etc is a bit too much
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 27.02.2018, 08:18
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 81 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 13,459 Times in 5,981 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
It's very quick and easy, unless you already master the language or speak German, once they know you are an expat, they will be polite but won't be friend with you.
I must tell that to all my Swiss friends next time I see them.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 27.02.2018, 08:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 77
Groaned at 46 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
tralala1 has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Where do you live? How long did it take you to make friends with them? meaning being invited to their place for dinner, go hiking or skiing with them, being invited to their bbq party? I never had this chance! Every time I meet the other parents we will have a nice chat but nothing more.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tralala1 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 27.02.2018, 09:40
Swiss Cheddar's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,120
Groaned at 45 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,209 Posts
Swiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Where do you live?
Zug

Quote:
View Post
How long did it take you to make friends with them?
A couple of months.

Quote:
View Post
meaning being invited to their place for dinner, go hiking or skiing with them, being invited to their bbq party?
dinner = yes
hiking = no (i was invited, i just dont do hiking)
skiing = yes
BBQ = yes

Quote:
View Post
I never had this chance! Every time I meet the other parents we will have a nice chat but nothing more.
Maybe the problem is you and not them?

cheers
SC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27.02.2018, 10:01
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,177
Groaned at 99 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 19,074 Times in 7,330 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Where do you live? How long did it take you to make friends with them? meaning being invited to their place for dinner, go hiking or skiing with them, being invited to their bbq party? I never had this chance! Every time I meet the other parents we will have a nice chat but nothing more.
You could start the ball rolling by inviting them to dinner / bbq / skiing / hiking?

If they are parents of your kids' friends, it's almost handed to you on a plate. When the kids come over for play-dates, casually invite mum or dad in for a coffee then build on that. Get them to come over for dinner one weekend.

More than once the mum stepping in for a quick coffee has ended up in "finishing that bottle of wine in the fridge".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27.02.2018, 11:18
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,221
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Where do you live? How long did it take you to make friends with them? meaning being invited to their place for dinner, go hiking or skiing with them, being invited to their bbq party? I never had this chance! Every time I meet the other parents we will have a nice chat but nothing more.
A couple of months - but we didn't expect them to ask us, we asked them.

You have to remember, you just completely changed your life and have big gaps of social interaction to fill. They... don't.

When you have someone round for dinner, find out what they like doing and ask if they would introduce you to it or give you the details. We've done many activities off the back of "that sounds cool" - "oh, we haven't done it for ages, why don't we show you?"
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 27.02.2018, 11:38
meister's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 269
Groaned at 34 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 161 Times in 76 Posts
meister has become a little unpopular
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Zug



A couple of months.



dinner = yes
hiking = no (i was invited, i just dont do hiking)
skiing = yes
BBQ = yes

Maybe the problem is you and not them?

cheers
SC
Iím surprised you got invited to dinner, because whenever we invite them, we rarely get anything back and this is not a one-off as Iíve heard the same from other expats.

Iíve accepted this, now that Iíve been here for a long time and have no enmity. Itís just Brits and Swiss are different.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meister for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 27.02.2018, 11:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,496
Groaned at 224 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 8,212 Times in 4,428 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Is there a recipe for such a thing? Are the Swiss so simple and easy to pin down?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.02.2018, 11:56
Kreeeee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: FR
Posts: 297
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 367 Times in 157 Posts
Kreeeee has earned some respectKreeeee has earned some respect
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Iím surprised you got invited to dinner, because whenever we invite them, we rarely get anything back and this is not a one-off as Iíve heard the same from other expats.

Iíve accepted this, now that Iíve been here for a long time and have no enmity. Itís just Brits and Swiss are different.
My neighbours complain that I don't visit them often enough. It's probably just my charisma and humility though that makes me such great company. Well, that or my cute kid
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Kreeeee for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 27.02.2018, 12:22
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La CŰte
Posts: 785
Groaned at 65 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 695 Times in 336 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Amusing video although the money part is not at all accurate in my experience, don't think I've ever broached the subject with anyone I didn't know intimately and even then always in the context of whatever we were discussing. Moreover, paying for drinks of others is not common except between friends and even then it's in turns. They're more Dutch in this respect, IMHO

The best part, for me, being married to a Suissesse is the winning a Swiss heart graphic - with river of skepticism & wall of shyness. The fence of pride, of course is nonsensical.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 27.02.2018, 12:25
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 6,147
Groaned at 68 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,406 Times in 3,448 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Is there a recipe for such a thing? Are the Swiss so simple and easy to pin down?
Yep, the Swiss are all exactly the same. All cloned from Wilhelm Tell. All you need to do is read Schiller, it's the manual

edit: Chapter 1: They do not greet foreigners who try to tell them how to live
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 27.02.2018, 12:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 77
Groaned at 46 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
tralala1 has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

What I think is the cause is that I don't speak German well enough to handle a dinner conversation so they have to speak English, and the way I see it is that very often in couple one is ok to speak English but not necessarily his or her other half, even if they can very well but I feel they don't want to be bothered to have to make the effort for that length of time.
Yes I know I can see you coming and telling me that because I came to their country I should make the effort to speak their language, and this is what I am currently doing, going to classes, so I am getting there but still.


Our kids play together since kindergarten so I know the parents well, but for instance, it is only last summer that I invited myself to sit with them at the picnic table at the bade. Never ever have they invited me to join them. So maybe this year I could start with organising a hike, I know they like that a lot, and see what happens. Yes, why not
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank tralala1 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 27.02.2018, 12:49
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La CŰte
Posts: 785
Groaned at 65 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 695 Times in 336 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Slow to warm, this is my experience from the first time I came here until now. But when they do warm, it can be a wonderful relationship.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FCBarca for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 27.02.2018, 12:52
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Peninsula of NE US Midwest
Posts: 3,461
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,234 Times in 2,262 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Yep, the Swiss are all exactly the same. All cloned from Wilhelm Tell. All you need to do is read Schiller, it's the manual
Nonsense. There is no scientific evidence that Wilhelm Tell ever lived. The only thing we know for sure is that he assassinated Albrecht Gessler, the Habsburgian reeve.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 27.02.2018, 13:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 77
Groaned at 46 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
tralala1 has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
Nonsense. There is no scientific evidence that Wilhelm Tell ever lived. The only thing we know for sure is that he assassinated Albrecht Gessler, the Habsburgian reeve.


If we know for sure that he assassinated Albrecht, then he surely lived. I think something is not right there...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank tralala1 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 27.02.2018, 13:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: 8050
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
EmaJaneLitch has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Id say its about cultural respect, trying your best (when it comes to the language) being polite and putting yourself forward.

Also a little patience goes a long way and from what I have experienced myself although it may take some time, once you have made friends with a Swiss person, that friendship is valued. There's no need to push
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EmaJaneLitch for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 27.02.2018, 13:18
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Peninsula of NE US Midwest
Posts: 3,461
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,234 Times in 2,262 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
If we know for sure that he assassinated Albrecht, then he surely lived. I think something is not right there...
Sorry I forgot to add a for those with a moist fuse.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 27.02.2018, 13:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 6,496
Groaned at 224 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 8,212 Times in 4,428 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to make friends with a Swiss person...

Quote:
View Post
What I think is the cause is that I don't speak German well enough to handle a dinner conversation so they have to speak English, and the way I see it is that very often in couple one is ok to speak English but not necessarily his or her other half, even if they can very well but I feel they don't want to be bothered to have to make the effort for that length of time.
Yes I know I can see you coming and telling me that because I came to their country I should make the effort to speak their language, and this is what I am currently doing, going to classes, so I am getting there but still.


Our kids play together since kindergarten so I know the parents well, but for instance, it is only last summer that I invited myself to sit with them at the picnic table at the bade. Never ever have they invited me to join them. So maybe this year I could start with organising a hike, I know they like that a lot, and see what happens. Yes, why not
Ok, first thing first - how well do you think you have to speak German in order to hold a dinner conversation? Get your C1 certificate first and then invite people over? It's like one of my friends saying she has to lose weight before going to gym..
And btw, making an effort to speak English with you...nope, I don't agree with you at all. That's easy. Having the patience to speak German with you it's much more difficult, especially at the beginning....now, that's friendship.

Last edited by greenmount; 27.02.2018 at 13:34.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at greenmount for this post:
Reply

Tags
batman, friends, swiss




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long did it take you to make friends here? Switzerlanded Complaints corner 130 18.04.2018 10:57
Canadian Looking to Make some Swiss Friends mbuhler Introductions 7 23.07.2017 11:11
For Indian Friends: How to make a demand draft in switzerland sbeldar Finance/banking/taxation 3 29.01.2015 06:27
Looking to make swiss friends ISTJ Introductions 8 28.03.2013 21:48
How to impress your friends with Swiss German Sagitta Language corner 10 14.08.2011 21:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0