Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 26.05.2021, 08:47
PanFastic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zug
Posts: 468
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 177 Posts
PanFastic has an excellent reputationPanFastic has an excellent reputationPanFastic has an excellent reputationPanFastic has an excellent reputation
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Grass pollen is very strong at the moment. Nature. On time. Every year.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PanFastic for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 26.05.2021, 09:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,843
Groaned at 243 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 6,569 Times in 3,097 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Meteosuisse has a page on pollen
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 26.05.2021, 09:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,755
Groaned at 277 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,251 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Quote:
View Post
Grass pollen is very strong at the moment. Nature. On time. Every year.
Ah that explains it ... ughhhh

You can tell I come from a place where most of the local grass is located on the golf courses ... I love the beautiful green Swiss farm fields, but they are killing me.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 26.05.2021, 09:40
smileygreebins's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 558
Groaned at 30 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,100 Times in 331 Posts
smileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

You name it, I've tried it for over the counter pills and sprays and liquids from Switzerland, UK, USA, Australia, but the recommended doses just don't work for me anymore, and doubling or tripling the doses have had some interesting side effects!

I've NEVER had hayfever as badly as what I've had here in Switzerland, but in fairness, we're surrounded by grass farmlands, wildflowers, and conifer forests. So several of my Swiss neighbours and some of their pets suffer from hayfever as well!

Multiple daily showers, keeping the house closed up and "wet" dusted, air filters & "air washing" machines running 24/7 - they all help a little, but 5 minutes after stepping outside, wham! Sneezing, snotty, throat closing up, want to rip my eyes out, all the good stuff. Too ironic that I had no problems with the heavy duty air pollution levels of Los Angeles or old Beijing - but this "fresh mountain air" is giving me a kicking!

I do get some relief by sitting in the car with the air conditioning blasting for a couple of hours - presumably it has some pretty good air filters. Ditto by sitting in an air conditioned shopping centre for a couple of hours. Both desperate moves for me though as I loathe air conditioning! I used to be on a flight for work every other week, and that time always gave me relief as well. Prior to Covid I would try and spend a week a month down on the Med - being away from the Swiss grasslands and swimming in the salt water everyday definitely helped.

All that said, I've never tried the various injections available. I've never tried sucking on raw local honeycomb day after day (some swear by it). I've never tried these "off season" diets that apparently build up immunities. Plenty of red wine at the end of each day kind of numbs the hayfever effects, and I just count the weeks until I can "safely" go outside again and get back to riding the motorbike or gardening or walking on mountains...

This year I'm trying a custom made bio spray from the local apotheke - one of my neighbours supplied me with the "recipe" that works for her, and I'm a week in and whilst I'd like to say its working, I cannot be sure because we've had so much rain to help keep pollen down!

Good luck in finding a solution that works for you!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank smileygreebins for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 26.05.2021, 09:51
PanFastic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zug
Posts: 468
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 177 Posts
PanFastic has an excellent reputationPanFastic has an excellent reputationPanFastic has an excellent reputationPanFastic has an excellent reputation
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

I use this app.

https://www.aha.ch/swiss-allergy-centre/home

Never got any testing done. I get allergy only this time of the year - until kids finish school. Then we are away at sea. As soon as I drive to Milano - the allergy is gone.

Any alcohol, especially beer in this time of strong grass pollen is making things x 10 times worst for me.

Going running opens up everything, but only for a short while, after the run all goes back to being blocked!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PanFastic for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 26.05.2021, 09:54
evop's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 211
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 127 Posts
evop has earned the respect of manyevop has earned the respect of manyevop has earned the respect of many
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

The calendar is slightly different for West and East/Central Plateus, but not as different as for Ticino:
https://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/home...ormation.html#

After a move to Zürich I had to start using nasal filters every time MeteoSwiss issues a pollen storm alert. It looks and feels weird, but still better, than talking like a distressed Eric Cartman.

Last edited by evop; 26.05.2021 at 10:07.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 26.05.2021, 10:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,755
Groaned at 277 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,251 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Quote:
View Post
Any alcohol, especially beer in this time of strong grass pollen is making things x 10 times worst for me.
In addition to having seasonal allergies, I have a condition that causes histamine to be released in high amounts in my body.

Through this annoying condition, I've learned that any fermented booze like wine and beer already has high amounts of histamine, which just make it all worse. Spirits like gin and vodka will actually reduce histamine in the body and cause you to relax a bit ... give it a go, but keep in mind too much won't help. Also a good idea to avoid fermented foods like sauerkraut, aged meats/cheese, pickles etc during an allergy flare up.

I take Claritin, a steroid nasal spray, high amounts of Vitamin C and a wonder supplement called Quercitin. The Quercitin has made all the difference for me.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 26.05.2021, 11:47
cyc cyc is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zug
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
cyc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Quote:
View Post
You name it, I've tried it for over the counter pills and sprays and liquids from Switzerland, UK, USA, Australia, but the recommended doses just don't work for me anymore, and doubling or tripling the doses have had some interesting side effects!

I've NEVER had hayfever as badly as what I've had here in Switzerland, but in fairness, we're surrounded by grass farmlands, wildflowers, and conifer forests. So several of my Swiss neighbours and some of their pets suffer from hayfever as well!

Multiple daily showers, keeping the house closed up and "wet" dusted, air filters & "air washing" machines running 24/7 - they all help a little, but 5 minutes after stepping outside, wham! Sneezing, snotty, throat closing up, want to rip my eyes out, all the good stuff. Too ironic that I had no problems with the heavy duty air pollution levels of Los Angeles or old Beijing - but this "fresh mountain air" is giving me a kicking!

I do get some relief by sitting in the car with the air conditioning blasting for a couple of hours - presumably it has some pretty good air filters. Ditto by sitting in an air conditioned shopping centre for a couple of hours. Both desperate moves for me though as I loathe air conditioning! I used to be on a flight for work every other week, and that time always gave me relief as well. Prior to Covid I would try and spend a week a month down on the Med - being away from the Swiss grasslands and swimming in the salt water everyday definitely helped.

All that said, I've never tried the various injections available. I've never tried sucking on raw local honeycomb day after day (some swear by it). I've never tried these "off season" diets that apparently build up immunities. Plenty of red wine at the end of each day kind of numbs the hayfever effects, and I just count the weeks until I can "safely" go outside again and get back to riding the motorbike or gardening or walking on mountains...

This year I'm trying a custom made bio spray from the local apotheke - one of my neighbours supplied me with the "recipe" that works for her, and I'm a week in and whilst I'd like to say its working, I cannot be sure because we've had so much rain to help keep pollen down!

Good luck in finding a solution that works for you!
I had very bad hayfever also. My doctor prescribed me Grazax two years ago and I'm mostly fine now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cyc for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 01.06.2021, 20:24
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,620
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,517 Times in 3,573 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Quote:
View Post
In addition to having seasonal allergies, I have a condition that causes histamine to be released in high amounts in my body.

Through this annoying condition, I've learned that any fermented booze like wine and beer already has high amounts of histamine, which just make it all worse. Spirits like gin and vodka will actually reduce histamine in the body and cause you to relax a bit ... give it a go, but keep in mind too much won't help. Also a good idea to avoid fermented foods like sauerkraut, aged meats/cheese, pickles etc during an allergy flare up.

I take Claritin, a steroid nasal spray, high amounts of Vitamin C and a wonder supplement called Quercitin. The Quercitin has made all the difference for me.
Thank you for suggesting Quercitin. I had never heard of it before, so I just looked it up. It looks like studies have shown that it really can help with allergy symptoms, so I'm going to order some. I even found it on iherb.com with cheap shipping.

Last year was the first year that I began to have allergy symptoms. It took me a while to figure out what it was. And now they seem to be back again this year -- but even worse. My throat has felt really dry and scratchy and my sinuses feel stuffed up. And today my eyes feel funky. At first I thought I was getting a cold and took a Covid test.

Does anyone else know of any natural or plant-based allergy medicines that work well? Today, the pharmacist gave me Sandoz Loratadin tablets, but I'm hesitant to take them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 02.06.2021, 09:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,755
Groaned at 277 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,251 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone else know of any natural or plant-based allergy medicines that work well? Today, the pharmacist gave me Sandoz Loratadin tablets, but I'm hesitant to take them.
Honestly, the Quercitin should do the job, I am a good customer of iHerb.

But there are other things that you can take which help - black cumin oil is very beneficial for allergies. Anything anti-inflammatory like fresh ginger and turmeric is helpful too. Vitamin C - 1000 mg helps me tremendously too.

Hope you feel better soon! If it gets really bad, nothing wrong with taking Loratadine for a few days... just make sure you stay hydrated.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 02.06.2021, 10:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 47
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
phacel has slipped a little
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

I wanted something with minimum side effects. After trying out several Homeopathic medicines found this one which really helps



https://www.iherb.com/pr/natrabio-bi...-oz-30-ml/6647
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02.06.2021, 10:51
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,769
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,266 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Quote:
View Post
I wanted something with minimum side effects. After trying out several Homeopathic medicines found this one which really helps

https://www.iherb.com/pr/natrabio-bi...-oz-30-ml/6647
Did your commencement with taking this coincide with a prolonged period of heavy rain which washed the pollen away?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 02.06.2021, 13:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
darylandrobynne has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Apart from personal preferences on antihistamines, I can really recommend Blephasteam for solving the eye irritation (this is also for those who said they suffered from dry eyes anyway). The glasses are expensive but the treatment is quick and the results are immediate so consider it an investment.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank darylandrobynne for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 06.06.2021, 10:19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: zugish
Posts: 266
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 230 Times in 124 Posts
mossie has an excellent reputationmossie has an excellent reputationmossie has an excellent reputationmossie has an excellent reputation
Re: Pollen - Seasonal Allergies - Zürich/ Zug area

Before moving to Switzerland I noticed my pollen allergy suddenly started having never suffered in younger days and got worse each spring. Coming to Switzerland for sure exacerbated it, when the weather changes beginning of April it is terrible until middle of May , tree pollen apparently. I was always using OTC stuff that never really worked but a couple of years ago I asked my doctor as it was getting unbearable last few years. Now I take combination of tablets nose spray and inhaler and I don’t really suffer once I take medication just before onset of pollen season.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pollen, pollen allergies




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pollen 2016 ipoddle Family matters/health 6 11.02.2016 22:13
Snow Tubing near Zürich / Zug area LauraG Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 5 28.11.2012 15:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0