Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.10.2018, 20:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Vevey
Posts: 51
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
JoshWilliams has annoyed a few people around hereJoshWilliams has annoyed a few people around here
Passive smoking law?

I understand this is the country of Philip Morris but dealing with smoking neighbours is becoming challenging. The thing is: why do I need to suffer and get stressed each time I open my balcony doors? They smoke outside because they don't want to harm their little children, something which deserves praise. But it has the side effect of having their awful cigarette smoke in my living room. It just stinks bad and no other choice than closing doors and windows. Is there any better way to deal with this problem in Switzerland, at least in apartment buildings? And no, please don't ask me to go and knock and their door and ask if they can please... Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Josh
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank JoshWilliams for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 01.10.2018, 20:57
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,357
Groaned at 379 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 14,623 Times in 6,760 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
View Post
I understand this is the country of Philip Morris but dealing with smoking neighbours is becoming challenging. The thing is: why do I need to suffer and get stressed each time I open my balcony doors? They smoke outside because they don't want to harm their little children, something which deserves praise. But it has the side effect of having their awful cigarette smoke in my living room. It just stinks bad and no other choice than closing doors and windows. Is there any better way to deal with this problem in Switzerland, at least in apartment buildings? And no, please don't ask me to go and knock and their door and ask if they can please... Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Josh
Winter´s coming.....! And yes, best way is to talk to them
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:04
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,495
Groaned at 579 Times in 454 Posts
Thanked 24,690 Times in 9,940 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
View Post
Winter´s coming.....! And yes, best way is to talk to them
What is it that you think these neighbours will say if he talks to them? (I can guess).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
View Post
I understand this is the country of Philip Morris but dealing with smoking neighbours is becoming challenging. The thing is: why do I need to suffer and get stressed each time I open my balcony doors? They smoke outside because they don't want to harm their little children, something which deserves praise. But it has the side effect of having their awful cigarette smoke in my living room. It just stinks bad and no other choice than closing doors and windows. Is there any better way to deal with this problem in Switzerland, at least in apartment buildings? And no, please don't ask me to go and knock and their door and ask if they can please... Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Josh

Change appartment
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VD
Posts: 312
Groaned at 48 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 267 Times in 126 Posts
bugger has annoyed a few people around herebugger has annoyed a few people around herebugger has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Passive smoking law?

Spray water at them when they smoke, it's the same thing really.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank bugger for this useful post:
This user groans at bugger for this post:
  #6  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:12
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,495
Groaned at 579 Times in 454 Posts
Thanked 24,690 Times in 9,940 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
Change appartment

Although there's every possibility that they'll encounter exactly the same problem again.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:29
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,390
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,578 Times in 674 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
View Post
Spray water at them when they smoke, it's the same thing really.
I like this
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:31
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,350
Groaned at 90 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 19,665 Times in 8,701 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
View Post
Spray water at them when they smoke, it's the same thing really.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passive smoking law?

Move to a ground floor appartment. Not 100% guaranteed, but smoke rises so the higher your balcony the greater the chance of getting some smell from lower neighbours.

I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for, except something that prohibits them from smoking completely. I know there's one or two people here that would support that, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.10.2018, 21:43
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,495
Groaned at 579 Times in 454 Posts
Thanked 24,690 Times in 9,940 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
Move to a ground floor appartment. Not 100% guaranteed, but smoke rises so the higher your balcony the greater the chance of getting some smell from lower neighbours.
This makes it worse in winter. The cold air (along with the smoke), sinks and displaces the warm air inside the apartment below when the windows are open.

We had exactly this in our last place. We'd air the apartment and not realise that our childrens' bedrooms downstairs were filling with smoke whilst the upstairs (at garden level where the neighbour chain smoked) was not so bad.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.10.2018, 22:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passive smoking law?

My neighbours asked if I could stop smoking in the back. So I moved to the front, than they asked if I could stop smoking in the front, so I moved to the back and never heard them again
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.10.2018, 22:39
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,390
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,578 Times in 674 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
My neighbours asked if I could stop smoking in the back. So I moved to the front, than they asked if I could stop smoking in the front, so I moved to the back and never heard them again
Excuse me, could you please stop smoking....anywhere?
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
This user groans at DantesDame for this post:
  #13  
Old 01.10.2018, 22:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passive smoking law?

When we lived in a flat, one of our downstairs neighbours was an older dad with a rather excitable little boy who kept him run ragged for most of the evening.

Every night, at about ten o' clock, I used to go and sit on the balcony with a whiskey sour. Every night, at about ten o' clock, our neighbour would have a fag and the smoke would float up from downstairs. Some of it, naturally, went in through the balcony doors and windows to our living room. I didn't mind at all - indeed, I used to enjoy the silent communion between two blokes, each silently sitting on his balcony, looking out at the dark shadows of the mountains, taking a few minutes to unwind and reflect upon the day.

We have to take our pleasures where we can. Are a few puffs of smoke in your flat really such a bad thing?
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #14  
Old 01.10.2018, 23:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8,639
Groaned at 314 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 19,850 Times in 6,916 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Why not build a fan with motion sensor on your balcony to blow the smoke back?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.10.2018, 23:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
View Post
Why not build a fan with motion sensor on your balcony to blow the smoke back?
A fan? I know someone who already tried that: https://www.englishforum.ch/211099-post28.html
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01.10.2018, 23:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Vevey
Posts: 51
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
JoshWilliams has annoyed a few people around hereJoshWilliams has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for, except something that prohibits them from smoking completely. I know there's one or two people here that would support that, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
Well I just found this that makes me think someone in this country is actually trying to do something.
What I'm basically looking for is some sort of example among you ladies and gentlemen where the building administration set up a rule to allow smoking "outside" only at specific times of the day, or any other form of private regulation. That to me would be acceptable - as a start - so at least I know when I need to close the windows.
To the smokers here: sorry but if you like it so much why don't you just lock yourselves up in your apartment so you can enjoy the foggy atmosphere up to its climax?
Or consider vaping or the old fashioned pipe maybe, that at least does not smell that bad. It's those cigarettes that really hurt me.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank JoshWilliams for this useful post:
The following 6 users groan at JoshWilliams for this post:
  #17  
Old 02.10.2018, 01:36
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 141
Groaned at 16 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 36 Posts
kimngmakerbull has no particular reputation at present
Re: Passive smoking law?

For me, if I had the time and the language proficieny, I would file a case in the Swiss highcourts about how passives smoking vitiates Article 10 (Federal Decree of 18 Dec. 1998, FederalCouncil Decree of 11 Aug. 1999; AS 1999 2556; BBl 1997 I 1, 1999 162 5986) of the Swiss bill of rights. Since passive smoking has a chance to cause cancer et.al, I can claim that passive smoking in public open spaces also falls foul of my right to health which is guaranteed by the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (1966) of which Switzerland is a signatory (1992). Moreover Article 11 of the same convention recognises the right of everyone to an adequate standard of living. This includes, but is not limited to, the right to adequate food, clothing, housing, and "the continuous improvement of living conditions". Also, health issues due to passive smoking falls foul of Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948)(Articles 3 and 25.1), though switzerland has not ratified it.


I would also like to argue about the negative economic impact that passive smoking has on my life due to decreased life expectancy and a potential spending to treat the diseases caused thereof.



I wish I had the wherewithal to argue this in a court :-( (even if this petition is thrown out by the court, I would like to give it a try)

Last edited by kimngmakerbull; 02.10.2018 at 01:49.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank kimngmakerbull for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at kimngmakerbull for this post:
  #18  
Old 02.10.2018, 03:02
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:
View Post
For me, if I had the time and the language proficieny, I would file a case in the Swiss highcourts about how passives smoking vitiates Article 10 (Federal Decree of 18 Dec. 1998, FederalCouncil Decree of 11 Aug. 1999; AS 1999 2556; BBl 1997 I 1, 1999 162 5986) of the Swiss bill of rights. Since passive smoking has a chance to cause cancer et.al, I can claim that passive smoking in public open spaces also falls foul of my right to health which is guaranteed by the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (1966) of which Switzerland is a signatory (1992). Moreover Article 11 of the same convention recognises the right of everyone to an adequate standard of living. This includes, but is not limited to, the right to adequate food, clothing, housing, and "the continuous improvement of living conditions". Also, health issues due to passive smoking falls foul of Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948)(Articles 3 and 25.1), though switzerland has not ratified it.


I would also like to argue about the negative economic impact that passive smoking has on my life due to decreased life expectancy and a potential spending to treat the diseases caused thereof.



I wish I had the wherewithal to argue this in a court :-( (even if this petition is thrown out by the court, I would like to give it a try)
Well, go for it.
Step 1: (As you live in Zurich area) Learn German.

A Swiss German saying: "Vo nüüt chunt nüüt".
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 02.10.2018, 11:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,078
Groaned at 349 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 8,343 Times in 3,908 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Are you a member of ASLOCA? (Suissesse Romande renters association). They can give you some advice.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02.10.2018, 12:39
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,495
Groaned at 579 Times in 454 Posts
Thanked 24,690 Times in 9,940 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passive smoking law?

Quote:

Every night, at about ten o' clock, I used to go and sit on the balcony with a whiskey sour. Every night, at about ten o' clock, our neighbour would have a fag and the smoke would float up from downstairs.

We have to take our pleasures where we can. Are a few puffs of smoke in your flat really such a bad thing?
I don't think anyone here is moaning about a cigarette or two.

Our neighbour used to lie back in a reclining chair right on the border with our property from early Saturday morning to late Sunday night and chain smoke - non-stop, all weekend, every weekend. And after work in the evening too. I did not think it was possible for someone to smoke so many in a day.

We were eastwards from his place so with the prevailing gentle breeze, the smoke always went to our side.

We never told him to stop as the Swiss on this forum keep telling us it's a smoker's right to do this.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Passive Agressive Swiss fatmanfilms Complaints corner 23 29.06.2018 22:38
Is there an exception to the 'no smoking' when smoking e-cigarettes? twentea Daily life 12 06.10.2017 20:56
Passive 3D projection fkdstm TV/internet/telephone 0 21.06.2015 09:37
New national smoking law Nathu Swiss politics/news 56 22.11.2009 17:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0