Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.11.2018, 10:48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lusanne
Posts: 55
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mountains1661 has no particular reputation at present
Garbage Police

Anyone know how the garbage police go about searching your household trash bags for forbidden items?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at mountains1661 for this post:
  #2  
Old 08.11.2018, 10:49
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,497
Groaned at 274 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 8,015 Times in 4,042 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Anyone know how the garbage police go about searching your household trash bags for forbidden items?
They open the bags. No idea when and why, probably if you leave the garbage out too early or in a place where it shouldn´t be?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 08.11.2018, 10:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lusanne
Posts: 55
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mountains1661 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garbage Police

Are they taking bags away at random from your doorstep before pickup, or do they pick bags off the truck back at the yard so to speak.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.11.2018, 10:55
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,497
Groaned at 274 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 8,015 Times in 4,042 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Are they taking bags away at random from your doorstep before pickup, or do they pick bags off the truck back at the yard so to speak.
Before pickup I´d reckon
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.11.2018, 10:56
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,098
Groaned at 109 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 21,232 Times in 8,198 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Are they taking bags away at random from your doorstep before pickup, or do they pick bags off the truck back at the yard so to speak.
The bags are all compressed into the back of the truck on collection day so good luck to them if they want to pick out individual bags "back at the yard".

Why on earth would they randomly check/take away bags in the street before collection?

You probably need to fill us in with more info of what you are trying to dispose of so you can get a more helpful answer.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lusanne
Posts: 55
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mountains1661 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
The bags are all compressed into the back of the truck on collection day so good luck to them if they want to pick out individual bags "back at the yard".

Why on earth would they randomly check/take away bags in the street before collection?

You probably need to fill us in with more info of what you are trying to dispose of so you can get a more helpful answer.
I am trying to figure out why, for example, if my bag of trash was put out in the evening that it would be gone in the morning when the other bags are still there waiting for pick-up by the garbage truck.

My only thought that it could have been taken for inspection...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:04
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,032
Groaned at 765 Times in 512 Posts
Thanked 7,191 Times in 3,434 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
I am trying to figure out why, for example, if my bag of trash was put out in the evening that it would be gone in the morning when the other bags are still there waiting for pick-up by the garbage truck.

My only thought that it could have been taken for inspection...



Providing the bag is paid for and is an official Vaud bag (white with green writing) you can put what you want in their, empty bottles or gold bars, it's irrelevant
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:04
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,098
Groaned at 109 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 21,232 Times in 8,198 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
I am trying to figure out why, for example, if my bag of trash was put out in the evening that it would be gone in the morning when the other bags are still there waiting for pick-up by the garbage truck.

My only thought that it could have been taken for inspection...
Were there other bags there at the time you put yours out?

If you put it out too early someone could have moved it to prevent it being ripped open by cats or foxes.

Do you throw away anything with identifying information on it (addressed envelopes or labels, for example)?

I wouldn't sweat it, to be honest. If someone wants to trawl through your week's worth of detritus, let them.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:05
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,497
Groaned at 274 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 8,015 Times in 4,042 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Providing the bag is paid for and is an official Vaud bag (white with green writing) you can put what you want in their, empty bottles or gold bars, it's irrelevant
You did use an official garbage bag, did you? If not then there is a chance it was picked up for inspection
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:05
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lusanne
Posts: 55
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mountains1661 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Providing the bag is paid for and is an official Vaud bag (white with green writing) you can put what you want in their, empty bottles or gold bars, it's irrelevant
This is for Basel but it would have been a regular Bebbi bag.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lusanne
Posts: 55
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mountains1661 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Were there other bags there at the time you put yours out?

If you put it out too early someone could have moved it to prevent it being ripped open by cats or foxes.

Do you throw away anything with identifying information on it (addressed envelopes or labels, for example)?

I wouldn't sweat it, to be honest. If someone wants to trawl through your week's worth of detritus, let them.
There was another bag out around 9pm and normally I wouldn't have seen it this morning. I keep everything separate Re envelops, labels. Guess we will have to see...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mountains1661 for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,986
Groaned at 519 Times in 394 Posts
Thanked 24,817 Times in 11,332 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Was there any meat of fish in there - and the fox has taken it?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:17
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,032
Groaned at 765 Times in 512 Posts
Thanked 7,191 Times in 3,434 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
There was another bag out around 9pm and normally I wouldn't have seen it this morning. I keep everything separate Re envelops, labels. Guess we will have to see...

If the bag is official and paid for you can put WHATEVER you want in their, including envelopes with your address on it, it really doesn't matter one iota !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lusanne
Posts: 55
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mountains1661 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Was there any meat of fish in there - and the fox has taken it?
Didn't think of this one... There could have been some leftover meat and vegetable remnants.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:24
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,098
Groaned at 109 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 21,232 Times in 8,198 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
Didn't think of this one... There could have been some leftover meat and vegetable remnants.
Here's your garbage police.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:24
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,660
Groaned at 1,426 Times in 1,101 Posts
Thanked 28,413 Times in 13,580 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
If the bag is official and paid for you can put WHATEVER you want in their, including envelopes with your address on it, it really doesn't matter one iota !
Not quite true: batteries, hazmat, etc. are forbidden in such household waste bags.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:37
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,202
Groaned at 115 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 8,682 Times in 4,646 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
I am trying to figure out why, for example, if my bag of trash was put out in the evening that it would be gone in the morning when the other bags are still there waiting for pick-up by the garbage truck.

My only thought that it could have been taken for inspection...
Around here we're not allowed to put them out before 6 a.m.
And yes, I have had foxes giving me the 'good morning, you're late' look when putting it out very early.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 08.11.2018, 11:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 6,283
Groaned at 214 Times in 184 Posts
Thanked 7,892 Times in 4,121 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
If the bag is official and paid for you can put WHATEVER you want in their, including envelopes with your address on it, it really doesn't matter one iota !
Wrong.

Batteries, electronics, the new bulb types, and a full host of other stuffs must be recycled.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 08.11.2018, 12:22
papasmurf's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 521
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 554 Times in 213 Posts
papasmurf is considered knowledgeablepapasmurf is considered knowledgeablepapasmurf is considered knowledgeable
Re: Garbage Police

probably a neighbour took it, you'll find all the rubbish stuffed into your post box with a passive aggressive note about putting the rubbish out the night before

We (Winterthur) get a flyer once a year with the sondermull info and collections and that always lists what should not go in the rubbish bags
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08.11.2018, 12:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,085
Groaned at 211 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 4,232 Times in 2,157 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garbage Police

Quote:
View Post
If the bag is official and paid for you can put WHATEVER you want in their, including envelopes with your address on it, it really doesn't matter one iota !
Not true, and it also does not allow to put the bags out the evening before collection which is what OP did. So eiher a fox took a run, some drunk dragged it along and many other things that could have happened. But it also might have been taken for inspection.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
garbage sorting bins? yacek Other/general 3 05.05.2016 23:01
Garbage- Help- Thalwil pharlapsheart Other/general 11 11.06.2015 17:55
Garbage removal? Puhutes Other/general 10 22.05.2013 08:38
manicure/garbage Fraueli General off-topic 2 14.08.2008 15:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0