Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.01.2019, 18:31
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,710
Groaned at 185 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 1,731 Times in 848 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Moving Canton while unemployed

I (C permit holder) recently moved from Geneva to Zug while unemployed (I have thankfully since gotten a job) and would like to share my experience as others may at some stage contemplate a similar move.

A few months after becoming unemployed in Geneva I decided to move to Zug (where I had previously lived) in oder to cut costs and take advantage of Zug's much lower tax rate (annual tax is paid in the canton where you are resident on 31 December). Before moving I checked with RAV Geneva, RAV Zug and with my Arbeitslosenkasse Unia if this were possible and all replied to me that yes, it was no problem.

On arriving in Zug I went straight to the local RAV office to register there and was told that I needed my permit to register with them. Of course I had had to give my permit to the Anmeldbüro in Zug in order to register there. It turned out that I had to wait over two weeks to get my new permit from the Zug Anmeldebüro so that was a two week wait before I could register with the RAV Zug. The real problem I had here was the contradictory information I received from Unia and the people working in RAV Zug. Unia insisted I could register with RAV without the permit (which could be provided later). Within the RAV office I heard a different opinion about this from each person I spoke with. I was asked if I had deregistered with the RAV office in Geneva without specifying what deregistering actually meant. I had told RAV Geneva that I was moving but had not signed any deregistration form. RAV Zug refused to contact RAV Geneva to check this. I was also asked, a week after arriving in Zug, to provide them with a copy of my passport and actually told by one person that my passport itself had to be stamped. Similarly, there was a lot of confusion with Unia Zug whether they or Unia Geneva would be responsible for paying me while I waited to register with RAV Zug. Again, each time I contacted Unia on this I got a different answer.

I also had to fill to a new application from with RAV Zug and provide them with much of the same information I had already provided to RAV Geneva, same with Unia.

In the end I got my new permit and was paid at the end of the month but be aware that moving canton as an unemployed foreigner is not so easy and that RAV officials are not always aware of the rules which govern this procedure. In some cantons it can take longer than 2 weeks to get your permit so this may further complicate things with RAV.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
change of canton while unemployed for B permit non EU person neutralname Permits/visas/government 13 21.07.2018 22:15
Accident Insurance while unemployed... Angela-74 Insurance 41 13.12.2017 00:51
Travelling while unemployed Xavier2 Employment 42 20.05.2015 18:23
Renting while unemployed Dack Rambo Housing in general 7 18.06.2011 11:44
Canton Change while being unemployed Sahasrara Permits/visas/government 42 10.01.2011 12:09

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0