Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 22.02.2019, 09:16
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

FWP.

There's actual food to buy.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 22.02.2019, 09:23
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,965
Groaned at 391 Times in 269 Posts
Thanked 13,618 Times in 4,667 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

There‘s a long queue at Tesco‘s in England and you‘re in the middle of it.

They open a new checkout and while the Brits are deciding the decent thing about who should join the new queue and it what order, a Swiss who was at the back of the queue walks right to the front of the newly opened checkout.

When reprimanded he/she replies in German/French/Italian the equivalent of „In my country we don‘t queue“.

What is your reaction??
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 22.02.2019, 09:32
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 33,141
Groaned at 2,739 Times in 1,933 Posts
Thanked 40,410 Times in 19,053 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
I'm confused now. My mate was born and raised in Ticino and swears there's no noticable difference between his dialect and Milanese.
The generic dialect is the same, but each village has their own.

Also, almost nobody in Lombardia speaks dialect anymore, even my wife's cousins mostly speak Italian and you almost never hear it in Italian shops.

Years ago, there was a guy who had a bar in the park in Mandello, and all of the German bikers who thought that they spoke Italian pretty well could never understand a word he said, while I did no problem. I had to explain to them that he was speaking dialect, not Italian.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #84  
Old 22.02.2019, 10:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,811
Groaned at 463 Times in 380 Posts
Thanked 18,451 Times in 9,333 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Guys, I think you're all making a pile of ### out of nothing. It could be worse. You could have a perfectly organised queue and nothing to buy.

I have noticed from the beginning that the Swiss can't queue. Not all of them, most are OK. As for go back to your country I have never heard anything like this (well, one or two times on English Forum ). I smile, I'm very nice and tolerant. If someone is making a mistake, I think, well, he might be in a rush and I am not. Or doesn't know how things work. Or has whatever reason and not necessarily because ill intentions. Why get upset? If someone wants to lecture me, I ignore him or her. If that person could only see themselves from a distance...and have a sense of ridicule. If not - some people are not worth the trouble. Again, live and let live. Nowhere is perfect.

*and let's face it, I kind of understand the Swiss getting a bit "claustrophobic" with so many foreigners around. I try to not throw my foreigness into their face.....all the time. ;-)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 22.02.2019, 10:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
Guys, I think you're all making a pile of ### out of nothing. It could be worse. You could have a perfectly organised queue and nothing to buy.

I have noticed from the beginning that the Swiss can't queue. Not all of them, most are OK. As for go back to your country I have never heard anything like this (well, one or two times on English Forum ). I smile, I'm very nice and tolerant. If someone is making a mistake, I think, well, he might be in a rush and I am not. Or doesn't know how things work. Or has whatever reason and not necessarily because ill intentions. Why get upset? If someone wants to lecture me, I ignore him or her. If that person could only see themselves from a distance...and have a sense of ridicule. If not - some people are not worth the trouble. Again, live and let live. Nowhere is perfect.

*and let's face it, I kind of understand the Swiss getting a bit "claustrophobic" with so many foreigners around. I try to not throw my foreigness into their face. ;-)
I inadvertently jumped a queue an event here years ago. Completely missed how the queue snaked around with those black band thingies and joined it about three-quarters of the way through. I must have looked like the cheekiest arsehole on the planet but nobody said anything. They must have been trying to laser the back of my head with their eyes and wishing every curse on me they could think of but everyone just let me be.

If someone had pointed it out, especially if they had chosen to make a scene, I'd have died of embarrassment. I only figured out what I'd done after I was walking away from the cash-desk. Then cringed for about 20 minutes afterwards.

Sometimes it just happens and you don't realise. I try to afford others the same benefit of the doubt.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #86  
Old 22.02.2019, 11:00
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,941
Groaned at 89 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 1,795 Times in 858 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
Look them in the eye and tell them to f**k off, quietly, but firmly,
Plus add a comment about inbreeding...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank BasP72 for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 22.02.2019, 11:25
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 140 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
today was at coop.
Shop in France or Germany! Avoid all of this hassle!
I shop in Coop as well, but always use the self-checkout. Saves time and money.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 22.02.2019, 11:58
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,153
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 588 Times in 366 Posts
BLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
It was a new line of which OP felt entitled of a spot more upfront than the woman.
yes as I had been waiting 5 mins and she had just arrived, the other people behind me also tried to filter over to the new one, I was the one she spoke to, why me I don't know.

"entitled"? I did what came naturally, try to pay in less time vs have everyone and their mother go ahead, how odd of me that

I have to add, it's odd Chuff felt the need to groan at me twice. Why? Because it's not a "I love Switzerland" thread? Because I am complaining? Isn't that the point, we can share the good and bad?

Last edited by BLP; 22.02.2019 at 12:10.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 22.02.2019, 12:03
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,562
Groaned at 290 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 25,383 Times in 10,269 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
I shop in Coop as well, but always use the self-checkout. Saves time and money.
How does using the self checkout save money?
Do they charge you less if there’s no cashier to serve you?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 22.02.2019, 12:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
How does using the self checkout save money?
Do they charge you less if there’s no cashier to serve you?
Every day is discount day if you use the self-checkout...


Quote:
In September last year, the now not-so-happy shopper - named only as 'Adel' in the Europe 1 article, which comes to us via a report at The Sixth Axis - took a new PS4 console to the fruit and veg section of a hypermarket in Montbéliard, a city near the Swiss border.

There, he put it on the scales usually meant for bananas and tomatoes and the like, and printed out a price label - which totalled a whopping €9.29 (£8 / $10.70).

We're not sure what he put the PlayStation through as - spuds? Satsumas? We may never know - but it was meant to be priced at €340 (£297 / $390) in the store.
From here.

Cheeky tyke...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 22.02.2019, 12:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,811
Groaned at 463 Times in 380 Posts
Thanked 18,451 Times in 9,333 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
yes as I had been waiting 5 mins and she had just arrived, the other people behind me also tried to filter over to the new one, I was the one she spoke to, why me I don't know.

"entitled"? I did what came naturally, try to pay in less time vs have everyone and their mother go ahead, how odd of me that

I have to add, it's odd Chuff felt the need to groan at me twice. Why? Because it's not a "I love Switzerland" thread? Because I am complaining? Isn't that the point, we can share the good and bad?
You'll get different reactions to your complaints.

I am curious, why don't you try to forget about this silly woman? She's not worth your energy.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 22.02.2019, 13:06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 255
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 280 Times in 105 Posts
Silvestre has a reputation beyond reputeSilvestre has a reputation beyond reputeSilvestre has a reputation beyond reputeSilvestre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
a woman complained that I should have let her go ahead (at least 5 more behind me at been there before her)

I said well where I come from the people waiting already go to the new queue.

Well you are in MY country and you should back to YOUR country she shouts. Of course no one says anything.
You should have responded with, "if you wouldn't queue jump, I could go back to my country quicker"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Silvestre for this useful post:
  #93  
Old 22.02.2019, 14:33
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,277
Groaned at 131 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 11,526 Times in 5,023 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
The generic dialect is the same, but each village has their own.

Also, almost nobody in Lombardia speaks dialect anymore, even my wife's cousins mostly speak Italian and you almost never hear it in Italian shops.
Interesting. Thanks.
My mate is a young guy and I forget the name of his exact village, but he often goes to the Woodstock bar near Bellinzona when he's visiting friends.

Quote:
View Post
I am a happy-go-lucky person and tend to (more often than not) give way, or help others when in need. The gratitude in the form of smiles is very gratifying and sustaining. It often leaves me in a glow, and I grin like an idiot long after that.
You're my kind of gal!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 22.02.2019, 14:48
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 18,057
Groaned at 782 Times in 611 Posts
Thanked 27,843 Times in 11,237 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

The only time I do anything about it is ski-lift queues when some blokes (single, no mates, Swiss, older) see it as their right to push past everyone in the queue to get to the front first.

It irks me when they feel they have the right to push past groups of kids who are waiting diligently. What sort of example to the younger generation is that?

We've all paid for our ski passes and I don't believe there's a fast-track VIP (Very Important Pr*ck) lane to the front of the queue.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #95  
Old 22.02.2019, 14:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
The only time I do anything about it is ski-lift queues when some blokes (single, no mates, Swiss, older) see it as their right to push past everyone in the queue to get to the front first.

It irks me when they feel they have the right to push past groups of kids who are waiting diligently. What sort of example to the younger generation is that?

We've all paid for our ski passes and I don't believe there's a fast-track VIP (Very Important Pr*ck) lane to the front of the queue.
Aahh, but you have to know HOW to queue in a ski lift queue and the bits that move the fastest towards the lift so you can advance through the queue without anyone actually noticing you are faster.

Also, if you are a little glut of kids/parents/friends/hangers on, that glut moves slower through the queue because of its size. Single skiers filter through quicker and are actually a good thing to keep things moving because they fill up the odd seats while the families are faffing about trying to get all together on a lift.

My son now says "see you at the top" and we split up through the queue because we can all individually fill in round faffing families.

The science of the ski queue.

And in response to the VIP lane, there is such a thing in many places - it's just a single file line where you can filter in one at a time if you are skiing by yourself. Not really "VIP" more of an efficiency thing. Nothing irks me more than a group of people who can't get their act together and end up stalling at the gates to allow one or more empty chairs up ahead of them.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 22.02.2019, 15:03
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

I've never had a problem, but then I just accept that's the way it is when I encounter what I'd consider rudeness back home. I adopt the Corbett approach; I know my place.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 22.02.2019, 15:14
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
Aahh, but you have to know HOW to queue in a ski lift queue and the bits that move the fastest towards the lift so you can advance through the queue without anyone actually noticing you are faster.

Also, if you are a little glut of kids/parents/friends/hangers on, that glut moves slower through the queue because of its size. Single skiers filter through quicker and are actually a good thing to keep things moving because they fill up the odd seats while the families are faffing about trying to get all together on a lift.

My son now says "see you at the top" and we split up through the queue because we can all individually fill in round faffing families.

The science of the ski queue.

And in response to the VIP lane, there is such a thing in many places - it's just a single file line where you can filter in one at a time if you are skiing by yourself. Not really "VIP" more of an efficiency thing. Nothing irks me more than a group of people who can't get their act together and end up stalling at the gates to allow one or more empty chairs up ahead of them.
Yep, you got it!

Queueing at the skilift is a sport within the sport.
Where I come from - - it's general education and it's like 'bicycle riding'.

But actually there are no rules for queuing at skilifts except "bitte nach vorne aufschliessen", anyone from a country with real mountains knows that.
And the English translation for that is "to close the lines"
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 22.02.2019, 15:36
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 18,057
Groaned at 782 Times in 611 Posts
Thanked 27,843 Times in 11,237 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
But actually there are no rules for queuing at skilifts except "bitte nach vorne aufschliessen", anyone from a country with real mountains knows that.
I'm not talking about the jostling to the front in a queue for a chair-lift, but blatant moving past people in an orderly queue for a cable car, for example where there are defined barriers to stop queue-jumping and ensure an orderly queue.

It's pretty clear to see when people are being clearly ill-mannered in a queue if you've been brought-up that way and it's not country specific.
No need to tar all your fellow countrymen with the same brush.

Furthermore - do you really need 'rules' for everything? Can't you think for yourself?
I thought you were against a 'nanny state' as you keep mentioning in your posts?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #99  
Old 22.02.2019, 16:09
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,103
Groaned at 39 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,684 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
I'm not talking about the jostling to the front in a queue for a chair-lift, but blatant moving past people in an orderly queue for a cable car, for example where there are defined barriers to stop queue-jumping and ensure an orderly queue.

It's pretty clear to see when people are being clearly ill-mannered in a queue if you've been brought-up that way and it's not country specific.
No need to tar all your fellow countrymen with the same brush.

Furthermore - do you really need 'rules' for everything? Can't you think for yourself?
I thought you were against a 'nanny state' as you keep mentioning in your posts?
The jostlers I dilike, but I'll reserve my real anger for those who let an 8 chair lift go with 2 people because the 5 of them want to all sit next to each other.

I think there is the distinction between rules and laws. As a rule people shouldn't flush their toilets after 10 in places where it might distrub others, but you're not going to be arrested for it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #100  
Old 22.02.2019, 16:15
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 18,057
Groaned at 782 Times in 611 Posts
Thanked 27,843 Times in 11,237 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
The jostlers I dilike, but I'll reserve my real anger for those who let an 8 chair lift go with 2 people because the 5 of them want to all sit next to each other.

.
I dislike the people who try and lift the safety bar up halfway up the mountain when I'm on the chair lift as well - with my (or others) young children.
Don't these 'simple mountain people' realise that they won't get off the chair-lift any quicker and their actions could lead to the death of a child?

But I suppose I shouldn't really comment - I'm not from a country with 'real' mountains (like Nepal or Pakistan).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cultural differences between Switzerland and your own country gata Daily life 150 03.07.2016 08:49
"when will you go back to XXX (your country name)" austin Complaints corner 27 26.08.2015 03:29
G permit: going back to your own country every week mikUk Other/general 18 24.04.2014 19:08
Did anyone else hear that big bang in Morges this morning? Vlh22 Daily life 2 22.08.2012 19:04
Wow we are going next sunday to this anyone else Sutter General off-topic 1 26.04.2009 23:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0