English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this? (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/290224-go-back-your-own-country-anyone-else-hear.html)

BLP 21.02.2019 20:23

Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
I get this line at me at least once a week, today was at coop.

I was waiting in a queue with about 10 other people, already a guy had skipped ahead of me, but I just blew it off.

A new till opened, the guy in front went and I went behind him, a woman complained that I should have let her go ahead (at least 5 more behind me at been there before her)

I said well where I come from the people waiting already go to the new queue.

Well you are in MY country and you should back to YOUR country she shouts. Of course no one says anything.

Just happens all the time, when I ask questions, don't speak french, is it just me? Does it happen to others? Does it bother you?

ZuriRollt 21.02.2019 20:31

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
For heavens sakes, no.
Live in more or less central Zürich.

We (and my local Coop and Migros) are helpful to any non-Swiss German clients :confused:

Occasionally I might be embarrassed about a woman asking me if I want to go ahead of them in the queue if I'm only carrying an inch of ginger, and they have 2 pots of joghurt and an apple.

BLP 21.02.2019 20:34

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuriRollt (Post 3044277)
For heavens sakes, no.
Live in more or less central Zürich.

We (and my local Coop and Migros) are helpful to any non-Swiss German clients :confused:

this was a customer, not the staff but the staff just sat there while she shouted at me.

Maybe it's different in Zurich? :confused:

Tom1234 21.02.2019 20:38

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
I find the pushing-in whilst queuing particularly ill-mannered.

When a new till opens at a supermarket, why is a mad rush and not a queue with the people who have waited the longest first.

Seems strange is a supposedly/otherwise polite country.

Helm 21.02.2019 20:39

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Yes, I've been told to go back to my own country a few times. In Zürich (among other places).

Assholes are everywhere. They will grab whatever information they can to try to hurt you. You offered the information that you are a foreigner, so they used that.

Just ignore. This is not Swiss exclusive.

ZuriRollt 21.02.2019 20:39

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLP (Post 3044278)
this was a customer, not the staff but the staff just sat there while she shouted at me.

Maybe it's different in Zurich? :confused:

Mine were also customers - have never experienced it here.
Is it different down there?

ZuriRollt 21.02.2019 20:41

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Don't think I've ever encountered a Swiss person serving behind the desk at Coop :confused:

Tom1234 21.02.2019 20:42

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuriRollt (Post 3044285)
Don't think I've ever encountered a Swiss person serving behind the desk at Coop :confused:

How do you know they're not Swiss? Do Swiss people have a flag tattooed on their foreheads?

If you said that in the U.K, people would think you were a bit racist.

Guest 21.02.2019 20:48

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Never. Not once in fourteen years.

But apparently there's no such thing as Anglo privilege.:rolleyes:

robBob 21.02.2019 20:49

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
I use the self serve check out and take my time.


;)

ZuriRollt 21.02.2019 20:49

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3044286)
How do you know they're not Swiss? Do Swiss people have a flag tattooed on their foreheads?

If you said that in the U.K, people would think you were a bit racist.

Yes, I regretted the statement as soon as I posted it.
And am rightfully embarrassed.

I chat to each of the staff at the Coop and Migros where I shop daily, and have never thought to ask them where they're from.
Probably won't. We get along well, and I don't see the need.

BLP 21.02.2019 20:51

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3044281)
I find the pushing-in whilst queuing particularly ill-mannered.

When a new till opens at a supermarket, why is a mad rush and not a queue with the people who have waited the longest first.

Seems strange is a supposedly/otherwise polite country.

It happens a lot, often it's a man doing it and the person in the shop finds it normal. :rolleyes:

But with such a long queue of people I found it normal the guy in front and me would move to the new one instead of random woman who just rocked up. But to her I was evil. In case it matters I had 5 items, not like i had a trolly full.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helm (Post 3044282)
Yes, I've been told to go back to my own country a few times. In Zürich (among other places).

Assholes are everywhere. They will grab whatever information they can to try to hurt you. You offered the information that you are a foreigner, so they used that.

Just ignore. This is not Swiss exclusive.

Yeah I had people in the USA give me various versions of the "we already threw you out one time" speech, of course ignoring the fact that it was a civil war of sorts:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuriRollt (Post 3044285)
Don't think I've ever encountered a Swiss person serving behind the desk at Coop :confused:

Not sure how you'd know for sure but the ones here tend to be french speaking and locals

Guest 21.02.2019 20:52

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Look them in the eye and tell them to f**k off, quietly, but firmly,

John_H 21.02.2019 20:52

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
I've never experienced anything bad .. Everybody i encounter seems to be very pleasant..

However probably once a week my wife tells me that she encountered some horrible person or other, in a shop, driving, on the street etc etc.

Maybe I'm just less sensitive, maybe I'm just nicer to them, maybe I just totally don't see it because I don't care what anybody thinks, maybe I look scary.


** wife and me are same colour so it's not that.

curley 21.02.2019 20:52

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLP (Post 3044276)
I get this line at me at least once a week, today was at coop.

I was waiting in a queue with about 10 other people, already a guy had skipped ahead of me, but I just blew it off.

A new till opened, the guy in front went and I went behind him, a woman complained that I should have let her go ahead (at least 5 more behind me at been there before her)

I said well where I come from the people waiting already go to the new queue.

Well you are in MY country and you should back to YOUR country she shouts. Of course no one says anything.

Just happens all the time, when I ask questions, don't speak french, is it just me? Does it happen to others? Does it bother you?

There is your clue.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Guest 21.02.2019 20:53

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuriRollt (Post 3044285)
Don't think I've ever encountered a Swiss person serving behind the desk at Coop :confused:

You should not shop at the exact same store for all those yrs I guess.

And as for OP, no I have never heard it, but...

Quote:

I said well where I come from
Unlike you I'm not begging for such remarks by stating even in stores how things are done in my old place. But here is one: Where I come from you'd be asking for such remarks given that you show that you appreciate that place more.

BLP 21.02.2019 20:55

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

You should not shop at the exact same store for all those yrs I guess.

And as for OP, no I have never heard it, but...



Unlike you I'm not begging for such remarks by stating even in stores how things are done in my old place. But here is one: Where I come from you'd be asking for such remarks given that you show that you appreciate that place more.
What is wrong with me defending my action by saying that it is what I was taught? :eek:

I didn't ask her to start an argument, I was replying to her screaming at me.

Was I supposed to say "Oh sorry I didn't get the swiss rule book, of course, I'm not swiss let me go behind you? "

Sky 21.02.2019 20:56

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLP (Post 3044276)
I said well where I come from the people waiting already go to the new queue.

Well you are in MY country and you should back to YOUR country she shouts. Of course no one says anything.

Yes it was rude of her, absolutely.
But.. be fair.. you started it by being the first to speak about another country as if it were better.

I think you provoked the situation oui?

BLP 21.02.2019 20:58

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 3044300)
Yes it was rude of her, absolutely.
But.. be fair.. you started it by being the first to speak about another country as if it were better.

I think you provoked the situation oui?

I provoked her by replying I was taught that is how it worked? :confused:

What should i have replied with? I'm curious now. I didn't say it with any snark or rudeness, it is just honestly the way I've always seen it done.

Guest 21.02.2019 21:00

Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?
 
I think the lesson here is that nobody gives a monkey's how things are done elsewhere. That's a pretty universal thing, really.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0