Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08.05.2019, 10:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
Yes that's true for items that are produced in a country and not imported to Switzerland. But for these cases, why not buy it from an (e)-shop of the country where the item is produced? This way you support the local economy and avoid the Amazon hegemony.
Not sure what your beef is with Amazon - just because a business is successful doesn't mean it's bad. I, like millions of other people around the world, will generally choose Amazon rather than local e-shops, for the very reasons that make their working model so successful in the first place.

If you prefer to spend hours working out where each item you're interested in is made and what shipping methods will or won't work for you, then entering your credit card details in so many different places and individually keeping track of each item, that's up to you, but the world appears to like doing it the easy way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 08.05.2019, 10:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,264
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,146 Times in 7,423 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
Yes that's true for items that are produced in a country and not imported to Switzerland. But for these cases, why not buy it from an (e)-shop of the country where the item is produced? This way you support the local economy and avoid the Amazon hegemony.
In today's global economy I support the site that can make my shopping experience safe and convenient with the best prices possible. For many products Amazon provides that, and sometimes it is the only place you can find certain things that are not available in Switzerland.

So please, stop all this spiel about supporting the local economy because it does not apply to every purchase we make. In fact, save your outrage for the Swiss people who travel to Germany every week to do all of their grocery and toiletry shopping because imo that is worse.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 08.05.2019, 11:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,593
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,390 Times in 18,117 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

I buy more on ebay then amazon, but that's because I buy a lot of NOS motorcycle parts and such.

Ordered some speedo cables for a '81 RS125DX yesterday from the UK, should be here next week. Of course, as they are made in Japan, I could have tried buying them there, but probably at higher prices, shipping, and delivery time.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 08.05.2019, 11:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 362
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 173 Posts
Rjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputation
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
Not sure what your beef is with Amazon - just because a business is successful doesn't mean it's bad. I, like millions of other people around the world, will generally choose Amazon rather than local e-shops, for the very reasons that make their working model so successful in the first place.
And just because a business is successful, it doesn't mean it's good. Amazon's business practices come with a lot of side effects that may or may not be positive. I personally do not feel they are compatible with current Swiss culture and lifestyle.

I'm not saying it applies in your case as I know you have some specialized interests, but most people buy from Amazon because it's cheap and easy. Bottom-shelf alcoholics often have similar purchasing patterns.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08.05.2019, 11:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,264
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,146 Times in 7,423 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
And just because a business is successful, it doesn't mean it's good. Amazon's business practices come with a lot of side effects that may or may not be positive. I personally do not feel they are compatible with current Swiss culture and lifestyle.

I'm not saying it applies in your case as I know you have some specialized interests, but most people buy from Amazon because it's cheap and easy.
Welcome to the modern world. It's not a question of if our local high street shos will die, but when. Switzerland is managing to prolong this more than many countries by being a hard market to break into with high logistical costs, but it is only a matter of time before it catches up with the rest of the world.

Your comment about people only buying there because it is "cheap and easy" is laughable, because that is ideally what shopping should be... cheap and easy. Amazon also provides a very polished platform which makes it extremely convenient to find things and choose the right products. Not to mention it has a fantastic support and returns policy that puts the vast majority of Swiss online shops to shame.

There is clearly market and desire for cheaper products with great customer service, why do you think Swiss people shop over the border so frequently? Why do you think that stores like Lidl and Aldi are making such a huge dent on their markets? Why do you think Decathlon with it's amazing value sporting goods is proving so immediately popular? Swiss people don't want to pay more than they have to for things, and the often outdated Swiss retail market needs to adapt and roll with that changing modern environment.

Quote:
View Post
Bottom-shelf alcoholics often have similar purchasing patterns.
Wow, you really are scraping the barrel there and making yourself sound like an overly judgemental idiot to boot.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 08.05.2019, 11:54
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,268 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
And just because a business is successful, it doesn't mean it's good. Amazon's business practices come with a lot of side effects that may or may not be positive. I personally do not feel they are compatible with current Swiss culture and lifestyle.
What kind of shops are compatible with Swiss culture? Please tell us.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 08.05.2019, 12:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
What kind of shops are compatible with Swiss culture?
Well duh! Local shops for Local people, obviously.

The sort that sells only those things they know you really need, not stuff that you just think you want.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 08.05.2019, 13:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 480
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 193 Times in 112 Posts
Harrie Nak has earned some respectHarrie Nak has earned some respect
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
Can you provide a bit more information on this service...
Does it really work here in CH. Do you have a sample that you could provide. I'm checking their website now but thought a 1st hand experience would be good to know.

Thanks
I have been happily using them for a few years now. Basically you pay like USD 60 a year for a US postal address to which you can ship your items to. It works like this:
  1. You order from any online store and have the product(s) shipped to the address you've been given by MyUS.
    Beware though, some sites like Nike.com blacklist parcel forwarders and / or international credit cards. In my experience, most sites work fine and otherwise I have always been able to work around this by e.g. ordering from Amazon rather than through Nike directly.
  2. You will receive an email from MyUS once your item arrives.
  3. You log in to the member section of their website to calculate the shipping price to your CH address (based on your shipping preferences), and order them to ship your items (or first wait for multiple items to arrive before having it all shipped to CH).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08.05.2019, 13:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,264
Groaned at 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
Thanked 19,146 Times in 7,423 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
I have been happily using them for a few years now. Basically you pay like USD 60 a year for a US postal address to which you can ship your items to. It works like this:
  1. You order from any online store and have the product(s) shipped to the address you've been given by MyUS.
    Beware though, some sites like Nike.com blacklist parcel forwarders and / or international credit cards. In my experience, most sites work fine and otherwise I have always been able to work around this by e.g. ordering from Amazon rather than through Nike directly.
  2. You will receive an email from MyUS once your item arrives.
  3. You log in to the member section of their website to calculate the shipping price to your CH address (based on your shipping preferences), and order them to ship your items (or first wait for multiple items to arrive before having it all shipped to CH).
What are shipping prices like, reasonable or on the higher end?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08.05.2019, 14:20
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,268 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
Well duh! Local shops for Local people, obviously.

The sort that sells only those things they know you really need, not stuff that you just think you want.
We had a local art shop where I lived before in Switzerland.

It didn't have a website showing what they had so you had to either go and have a look to see what they had what you wanted, or an alternative in stock.

They never did and their standard response was "We can order that for you and it will be ready in two weeks".

So what they were saying was I should get the bus to the local town, look in the shop, get them to order it and then wait for the phone call in a couple of weeks and make another return journey to collect it?

Or, I could just order it online and get it in a couple of days.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 08.05.2019, 15:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 362
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 173 Posts
Rjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputation
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the modern world. It's not a question of if our local high street shos will die, but when. Switzerland is managing to prolong this more than many countries by being a hard market to break into with high logistical costs, but it is only a matter of time before it catches up with the rest of the world.

Your comment about people only buying there because it is "cheap and easy" is laughable, because that is ideally what shopping should be... cheap and easy. Amazon also provides a very polished platform which makes it extremely convenient to find things and choose the right products. Not to mention it has a fantastic support and returns policy that puts the vast majority of Swiss online shops to shame.

There is clearly market and desire for cheaper products with great customer service, why do you think Swiss people shop over the border so frequently? Why do you think that stores like Lidl and Aldi are making such a huge dent on their markets? Why do you think Decathlon with it's amazing value sporting goods is proving so immediately popular? Swiss people don't want to pay more than they have to for things, and the often outdated Swiss retail market needs to adapt and roll with that changing modern environment.



Wow, you really are scraping the barrel there and making yourself sound like an overly judgemental idiot to boot.
Thanks for noticing. Here’s another judgement. If you are a regular amazon shopper, you’ve lost control of your life.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at Rjellsch for this post:
  #32  
Old 08.05.2019, 21:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC - Effretikon, ZH
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
swissmaggiemoo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Amazon Purchases

Glad my simple question sparked such a debate! Yes, to buying local, but to be honest.... it seems quite challenging to find anything quickly! I am Swiss, just having moved back from the USA, it is hard to know where to find specific items. We have spent days now running around going to different stores (to keep it local, although I guess shopping at Ikea doesn't really count then, since they are not Swiss?). Quite frankly, I am tried of running around just to get our apartment set up, etc. If there are great e-shops / online shopping places within Switzerland, bring it on! Happy to use them! But I know for a fact that my beloved InstaPot (and you all can have another discussion about this one ) is only found on Amazon.... Alas, I will have to use the system of shipping to a spot in Germany and pick it up. Those of you who do it that way, do you drive there or have them forward it to you?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09.05.2019, 13:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: zurich
Posts: 424
Groaned at 46 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Jamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeable
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
I have been happily using them for a few years now. Basically you pay like USD 60 a year for a US postal address to which you can ship your items to. It works like this:
  1. You order from any online store and have the product(s) shipped to the address you've been given by MyUS.
    Beware though, some sites like Nike.com blacklist parcel forwarders and / or international credit cards. In my experience, most sites work fine and otherwise I have always been able to work around this by e.g. ordering from Amazon rather than through Nike directly.
  2. You will receive an email from MyUS once your item arrives.
  3. You log in to the member section of their website to calculate the shipping price to your CH address (based on your shipping preferences), and order them to ship your items (or first wait for multiple items to arrive before having it all shipped to CH).

Thank you Sooo much for your response, but I do have one more question. I'm alway's "concerned" that when something is shipped in to CH then I'll be taxed/charged.

For an example (just an example): I use the service you mention - I order something (1 single item) let's say it's a camera lens for $400 on amazon. I get the service you mentioned to deliver it to me in CH --- will I owe any taxes/special shipping fees / import taxes...... This is just an example.

I'm very eager to test out this service. I have a number of products that I can't find in CH and some I can't find in EU. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09.05.2019, 14:31
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,268 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post

For an example (just an example): I use the service you mention - I order something (1 single item) let's say it's a camera lens for $400 on amazon. I get the service you mentioned to deliver it to me in CH --- will I owe any taxes/special shipping fees / import taxes...... This is just an example.
Some companies pay it for you and calculate taxes and duty as part of the final price. For others, you'll pay it when you get a bill. You may pay processing fees too. You may also pay storage fees if it's not clear what type of article it is and they hold on to it for you.

But, if it's over the duty-free limit, you probably will have to pay.

If you pick it up from over the border, that's 300 CHF or over per article. It's considerably less if it is shipped to you within Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09.05.2019, 21:28
M c M c is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: home
Posts: 19
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
M c has slipped a little
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
Or similar, use a parcel forwarding service such as MyUS to get a postal address in the US (and pay 0% sales tax when using MyUS) and buy from Amazon US.

But this is helpful for US stores. Are there any equivalent for online stores in Europe in France or Germany that will receive my parcels and forward them to Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at M c for this post:
  #36  
Old 09.05.2019, 22:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,890
Groaned at 247 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 6,666 Times in 3,135 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
But this is helpful for US stores. Are there any equivalent for online stores in Europe in France or Germany that will receive my parcels and forward them to Switzerland?
Yes. Do a search for mail forwarding company France or Germany or whatever.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 09.05.2019, 22:32
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 836
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,219 Times in 532 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
....

For books in English, Book Depository is good and has free shipping to Switzerland.
Hi, Tom,

Do you know anything about having books shipped from Abe Books? I looked up a book on Book Depository (they didn't have it), but they recommended that I checked on Abe Books (who carry it).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10.05.2019, 09:55
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,268 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
Hi, Tom,

Do you know anything about having books shipped from Abe Books? I looked up a book on Book Depository (they didn't have it), but they recommended that I checked on Abe Books (who carry it).

Thanks!
I've never bought anything from them - they're a bit like ebay (without the bidding) so you're not buying from a particular shop. I've nearly bought books from them but been dissuaded by the steep shipping costs on the books I wanted.

They seem good for out-of-print books though.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10.05.2019, 10:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,172
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,089 Times in 1,815 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
Hi, Tom,

Do you know anything about having books shipped from Abe Books? I looked up a book on Book Depository (they didn't have it), but they recommended that I checked on Abe Books (who carry it).

Thanks!
I've bought from them a couple of times and found the postage charges rather high.
The worse was when I'd ordered (and paid) for a book I'd wanted for years but couldn't find anywhere else, the seller refused to sent it until I paid an extra £10 as "postage costs from England to Switzerland were so high", then sent it Ecomomy Parcel which cost less than the initial postage already paid!
Abe Books refused to help, claiming it was a private transaction between myself and the seller.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Anjela for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 24.06.2019, 15:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 480
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 193 Times in 112 Posts
Harrie Nak has earned some respectHarrie Nak has earned some respect
Re: Amazon Purchases

Quote:
View Post
What are shipping prices like, reasonable or on the higher end?
That fully depends on the shipping options that you choose (which postal service, priority shipping, insurance), but prices are fair / realistic. Be prepared for import costs / VAT though.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon.com or Amazon.de, etc import taxes equal to 0 seph TV/internet/telephone 27 24.02.2015 13:51
tax on internet purchases Lost in Geneva Other/general 3 05.10.2011 11:42
Amazon Boycott / Will you be shopping Amazon? havanah International affairs/politics 10 12.11.2010 10:18
on-line purchases Shelly Daily life 0 11.02.2010 09:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0