English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Amazon Purchases (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/291738-amazon-purchases.html)

swissmaggiemoo 06.05.2019 08:50

Amazon Purchases
 
Hey all, how do you handle purchases on Amazon? I figured most in the Zurich area buy from Amazon.de but do you have it delivered directly to Switzerland or so you all do something else?

Sonnenbrand 06.05.2019 10:26

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
It's usually difficult to have Amazon DE send packages to Switzerland. I have only been able at this point to receive some hand tools, books, and a few other misc. items directly to Switzerland.

Best way to go about it is obtaining a Mailbox or ability to collect your package at a package/mail center over the border in Germany.

I use this place in Waldshut, which is about 1 hour from Zurich area.

https://www.euroretour.ch/packet_center/1

They charge per package and depending on size of package. They will hold it for a few weeks if you can't pick it up right away. There are several places over the border in the Waldshut - Tiengen area that perform this service. The store is next to the Edeka grocery store as well if you want to stop in and save some dough on grocery items.

Chuff 06.05.2019 10:28

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissmaggiemoo (Post 3066108)
Hey all, how do you handle purchases on Amazon? I figured most in the Zurich area buy from Amazon.de but do you have it delivered directly to Switzerland or so you all do something else?

If you had thought to search the forum you would see that there are already threads about Amazon. Better to search for and post in them.

Some items can be shipped, some can't. It depends on the seller and the item.

Tom1234 06.05.2019 10:34

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
You can also use Amazon.co.uk to do your shopping for some items if they are sold by Amazon EU sarl as then they are shipped from France and seem okay to ship to Switzerland.

For books in English, Book Depository is good and has free shipping to Switzerland.

ZurichLuck 06.05.2019 10:37

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
There is a mail holding business in Konstanz germany. Google 'mandy klein konstanz'. her address is right there by the train station. Otoh I've been to Konstanz so many times now and I can see that it's ok for a day trip but it is a rather gloomy place to wait for the train home in. But you can get a lot of cheap shopping while there of course. Still, the lake is so massive it's dispiriting in a way. Also, go on the train and not the bus because the border cops come on at the busses and it's just a massive boring hassle although because they're all very tall fellows they sometimes bang their head on the overhangs on the bus roof so that's kind of funny I suppose if you like that sort of thing.

It's cheap too, I think 3 euros to 5 euros per week to store your mail

Sonnenbrand 06.05.2019 10:43

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3066123)
You can also use Amazon.co.uk to do your shopping for some items if they are sold by Amazon EU sarl as then they are shipped from France and seem okay to ship to Switzerland.

I was able to purchase an Instant Pot 6 lt. this way last year through the UK site.

To the original poster, also keep in mind that if you order from other countries they often times will drop the Tax / VAT in their checkout process if they send it to Switzerland but if the amount is over about 65 Francs and it arrives here, the Swiss will then tax you. The minimum to pay is typically around 17 CHF or more depending on cost of the item. I ordered some items from the Netherlands a few weeks ago and total went over by .15 cents apparently and received a bill from DHL for 17 francs. I didn't end up saving any money vs. buying locally after that point. :(

bowlie 06.05.2019 12:03

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Amazon.fr delivers to the post office in Divonne and I assume to Ferney as well. That is if it is not too big. Perhaps the German post does something similar.

venetian 06.05.2019 15:00

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissmaggiemoo (Post 3066108)
most in the Zurich area buy from Amazon.de

I also buy from amazon.it and get it delivered to Zurich, but as already said this is often not possible depending on the seller.

For common items I started to buy from Swiss online shops, like digitec/galaxus, microspot, pc-ostschweiz and so on.

bowlie 06.05.2019 15:59

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by venetian (Post 3066197)
I also buy from amazon.it and get it delivered to Zurich, but as already said this is often not possible depending on the seller.

For common items I started to buy from Swiss online shops, like digitec/galaxus, microspot, pc-ostschweiz and so on.

And digitec/glaxus will deliver to your local Migros, if thatís more convenient for you. PickMup!

Harrie Nak 06.05.2019 16:09

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonnenbrand (Post 3066120)
It's usually difficult to have Amazon DE send packages to Switzerland. I have only been able at this point to receive some hand tools, books, and a few other misc. items directly to Switzerland.

Best way to go about it is obtaining a Mailbox or ability to collect your package at a package/mail center over the border in Germany.

I use this place in Waldshut, which is about 1 hour from Zurich area.

https://www.euroretour.ch/packet_center/1

They charge per package and depending on size of package. They will hold it for a few weeks if you can't pick it up right away. There are several places over the border in the Waldshut - Tiengen area that perform this service. The store is next to the Edeka grocery store as well if you want to stop in and save some dough on grocery items.

Or similar, use a parcel forwarding service such as MyUS to get a postal address in the US (and pay 0% sales tax when using MyUS) and buy from Amazon US.

saiya-jin 07.05.2019 16:27

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Its much easier in border cities. For Geneva/Basel, Amazon FR has official pick up spots where you can get things delivered for no additional costs, usually some small supermarket run by immigrants. Pick up one that is opened till 10pm even on Sunday, bring your ID, and go there once you drive along.

Tom1234 07.05.2019 16:37

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saiya-jin (Post 3066500)
Its much easier in border cities. For Geneva/Basel, Amazon FR has official pick up spots where you can get things delivered for no additional costs, usually some small supermarket run by immigrants. Pick up one that is opened till 10pm even on Sunday, bring your ID, and go there once you drive along.

Are you suggesting the OP moves from Effretikon, ZH?

omtatsat 07.05.2019 17:31

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissmaggiemoo (Post 3066108)
Hey all, how do you handle purchases on Amazon? I figured most in the Zurich area buy from Amazon.de but do you have it delivered directly to Switzerland or so you all do something else?

I use this service. Pickup in Konstanz.

https://www.grenzpaket.ch/de/liefera...konstanz-stadt

Dandy 07.05.2019 17:36

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
why buy from amazon and not from locel (e-) shops? I use amazon only for product reviews and then I buy locally. Returning items is also much easier.

Tom1234 07.05.2019 17:44

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandy (Post 3066526)
why buy from amazon and not from locel (e-) shops? I use amazon only for product reviews and then I buy locally. Returning items is also much easier.

There's absolutely loads of stuff you can't buy here online (or in 'real' shops in Switzerland).

Jamboree 07.05.2019 18:16

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrie Nak (Post 3066225)
Or similar, use a parcel forwarding service such as MyUS to get a postal address in the US (and pay 0% sales tax when using MyUS) and buy from Amazon US.

Can you provide a bit more information on this service...
Does it really work here in CH. Do you have a sample that you could provide. I'm checking their website now but thought a 1st hand experience would be good to know.

Thanks

Dandy 07.05.2019 19:43

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3066530)
There's absolutely loads of stuff you can't buy here online (or in 'real' shops in Switzerland).


Yes that's true for items that are produced in a country and not imported to Switzerland. But for these cases, why not buy it from an (e)-shop of the country where the item is produced? This way you support the local economy and avoid the Amazon hegemony.

Tom1234 07.05.2019 20:10

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandy (Post 3066565)
Yes that's true for items that are produced in a country and not imported to Switzerland. But for these cases, why not buy it from an (e)-shop of the country where the item is produced? This way you support the local economy and avoid the Amazon hegemony.

To be honest, sometimes there just isn't a choice. I usually end up with buying from the only source that will ship to Switzerland.

Sometimes when you buy something, you have no idea where it was originally produced.

marton 07.05.2019 20:58

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3066570)
To be honest, sometimes there just isn't a choice. I usually end up with buying from the only source that will ship to Switzerland.

Sometimes when you buy something, you have no idea where it was originally produced.

Even if the seller publishes where it was originally produced it is impossible for you to verify the claim :eek:

swissmaggiemoo 08.05.2019 08:23

Re: Amazon Purchases
 
@Chuff - you make a very good point! Usually, I do that. I guess I was a bit too eager to find out and blanked on searching the forum first. My apologies!

To everyone else: thank you for the suggestions and input!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0