English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Climate change - what do you do to save the world? (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/291794-climate-change-what-do-you-do-save-world.html)

k_and_e 19.06.2019 19:32

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
We've bought a little green container and now separate our trash. That makes quite a difference actually. The garbage bags last much longer.

reids 19.06.2019 22:33

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
We recycle what we can, we avoid single use plastics, we don't eat meat, I'm an obsessive repairer saving anything from phones to guitars that are destined for the bin so I can fix them and give them away, we don't drive and the number one Earth-friendly thing - we don't have children.

However..... I do all this because I can't abide waste, not to save the planet, I think we've royally rogered the planet through selfishness, ignorance and hubris. I feel desperately sorry for generations yet to come, my fervent hope is that we've finally pulled the plug on our time here and we're going to join the thousands of species going extinct. We can't hurt the earth, we can only make it so we can't live here.

*btw I'm very impressed at the efforts listed above, jolly good show what?

st2lemans 19.06.2019 22:36

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
We eat lots of meat, have six kids, 8 motorbikes, and four cars!

And we don't hate Trump!

Tom

curiousnomad 20.06.2019 06:03

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
"Even if you buy a bio broccoli it's wrapped in film foil. Wouldn't be a small sticker "Bio" enough?"

One of the reasons for organic produce being wrapped in film foil, is to avoid it from being polluted with pesticides from the conventional produce that's sold in the same shop.

ECG 23.06.2019 22:54

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Recycle, use reusable cups, try to avoid buying produce in plastic wrap, ie. try to consume less and live a sustainable life.. also work in the field and try to produce systemic efficiencies :)

Mark75 25.06.2019 07:05

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curiousnomad (Post 3076985)
One of the reasons for organic produce being wrapped in film foil, is to avoid it from being polluted with pesticides from the conventional produce that's sold in the same shop.

Another reason to wrap produce: Some veggies last considerably longer if wrapped --> less food waste.

Caleb 25.06.2019 08:17

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curiousnomad (Post 3076985)
"Even if you buy a bio broccoli it's wrapped in film foil. Wouldn't be a small sticker "Bio" enough?"

One of the reasons for organic produce being wrapped in film foil, is to avoid it from being polluted with pesticides from the conventional produce that's sold in the same shop.

It's my understanding that foil is used not to avoid this cross-contamination, but rather to extend the lifetime of the produce. There is signficantly contradicting "literature" about that (I remember reading a news article just a few weeks/months ago about that, which cited a significant difference in lifetime). On the other hand, there's an equal volume of literature that points to the opposite: "Wrap technical report" (PDF).

Samaire13 25.06.2019 08:37

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
I've made a fairly conscious move to avoid single-use plastic whenever I can, both when in Switzerland and when travelling (the latter has proved to be extremely challenging). Guess at least I'm trying or something. I also recycle, but to do that is fairly ingrained in us Swiss.

Other than that I'm pretty much the worst. I fly all the time, drive all the time, use way too much water and so on.

greenmount 25.06.2019 09:06

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3076964)
We eat lots of meat, have six kids, 8 motorbikes, and four cars!

And we don't hate Trump!

Tom

This thread is about what you do for the environment, not what you don't...!!! :rofl:

Love that spirit. Rebellious, pissing against the wind.

Guest 25.06.2019 09:30

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
NOTHING I do will save the world!! NOTHING.


Does not mean to don't take conscious steps to reduce waste, conservse water, etc. but alot of that is "self fullfilling" - in my own mind I think i'm doing something, NO Different than a Fart-smelling Prius Driver from San Francisco (that's a TV show reference you get points if you call it out).


For every one of us that does something, there are 1000 people and business entities that do nothing if not make things worse (not statistics here just pulled the number out of my....ahem...) We have tiny little Switzerland...been to China recently? India? African nations? hell no need to look far...look at Italy (that's like Africa right?....and no groans, my family is Italian too, I'm allowed) ..one example, ILVA in Taranto, Puglia. Hell my family members there also getting Cancer left and right too..another consequence (Lymphomas if you want to know..epedimiologic signal is so high, yet the government does nothing).


The United States? Surely not a city on a hill to look at! And many of us DO recycle and by organic and and and and and...drive Prius in SF.


Our kids will inherit a messed up world. That's the reality. And don't worry about our world. It will be here long after you're gone, your kids are going and so on. It doesn't need saving. Your Kid's environment, that' need saveing. But ...since our existance is SOLELY based on GROW GROW GROW economics and not Sustain, maintaing economics..then...there is no saving. WE are done for..the Earth..it will be here until the Sun does its super nova thing.

Guest 25.06.2019 09:44

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by parkadam (Post 3078357)
WE are done for..the Earth..it will be here until the Sun does its super nova thing.

I think this is the key detail here. The Earth will indeed carry on as third rock from the sun and not give a damn who is inhabiting it at any given time. Once we've wrecked the environment sufficiently to no longer support life, it's just us that will suffer. The Earth will continue turning once we've died out, it will reclaim and slowly clean up and purify all the shite we've left behind. A mere snapshot in time among the billions of years the Earth has done just fine without us.

The thread shouldn't be about "saving the world". The planet will do just fine. It's humankind that will be in for a rough ride eventually.

amogles 25.06.2019 10:01

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3078333)
It's my understanding that foil is used not to avoid this cross-contamination, but rather to extend the lifetime of the produce.

In other words, it's not fresh.

MusicChick 25.06.2019 10:21

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by parkadam (Post 3078357)
NOTHING I do will save the world!! NOTHING.


Does not mean to don't take conscious steps to reduce waste, conservse water, etc. but alot of that is "self fullfilling" - in my own mind I think i'm doing something, NO Different than a Fart-smelling Prius Driver from San Francisco (that's a TV show reference you get points if you call it out).


For every one of us that does something, there are 1000 people and business entities that do nothing if not make things worse (not statistics here just pulled the number out of my....ahem...) We have tiny little Switzerland...been to China recently? India? African nations? hell no need to look far...look at Italy (that's like Africa right?....and no groans, my family is Italian too, I'm allowed) ..one example, ILVA in Taranto, Puglia. Hell my family members there also getting Cancer left and right too..another consequence (Lymphomas if you want to know..epedimiologic signal is so high, yet the government does nothing).


The United States? Surely not a city on a hill to look at! And many of us DO recycle and by organic and and and and and...drive Prius in SF.


Our kids will inherit a messed up world. That's the reality. And don't worry about our world. It will be here long after you're gone, your kids are going and so on. It doesn't need saving. Your Kid's environment, that' need saveing. But ...since our existance is SOLELY based on GROW GROW GROW economics and not Sustain, maintaing economics..then...there is no saving. WE are done for..the Earth..it will be here until the Sun does its super nova thing.

What? You refuse to make yourself feel useful and trendy and wholesome and green? You could, eventually, switch to cloth kerchifs, at least!

I agree with you, the ecolobiz looks quite selective and not really efficient in the large scheme, a bit of a scam.

I do hate food wasting, though. But that is more for the anti-glutonous stance as opposed to a green stance.

Caleb 25.06.2019 10:32

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3078374)
I do hate food wasting, though.

Me too. I'm starting a new job in August in Zürich (I live close to Liechteinstein), and one of the few benefits of being around the civilization in the city on a daily basis is I can use the "TooGood 2 Go" app, which enables food stores (from restaurants to cafes) to sell "surprise bags" with food that would otherwise go to waste before the end of the day at reduced prices. Their mission, they claim, is to save food from the bin. An interesting concept.

MusicChick 25.06.2019 10:39

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3078377)
Me too. I'm starting a new job in August in Zürich (I live close to Liechteinstein), and one of the few benefits of being around the civilization in the city on a daily basis is I can use the "TooGood 2 Go" app, which enables food stores (from restaurants to cafes) to sell "surprise bags" with food that would otherwise go to waste before the end of the day at reduced prices. Their mission, they claim, is to save food from the bin. An interesting concept.

Wow, this is awesome.

Did they take your possible fancy allergies/veganism/raw food eating/frutarianism/religious meat issues in account?

Lol, I am serious, I love this idea!

I do that for our building, though, and for free. Since they love my cookin and small household tends to waste more so it is a nice symbiosis. Neighbors are happy. Cook for us, too.

amogles 25.06.2019 10:47

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3078384)
Wow, this is awesome.

Did they take your possible fancy allergies/veganism/raw food eating/frutarianism/religious meat issues in account?

Lol, I am serious, I love this idea!

I do that for our building, though, and for free. Since they love my cookin and small household tends to waste more so it is a nice symbiosis. Neighbors are happy. Cook for us, too.

I love the idea too. It's very unswiss though. Never seen it here.

Guest 25.06.2019 10:48

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3078389)
I love the idea too. It's very unswiss though. Never seen it here.

Why is it "unswiss"? :confused:

Blueangel 25.06.2019 10:53

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samaire13 (Post 3078338)
I also recycle, but to do that is fairly ingrained in us Swiss.

Sorry Samaire, (and I'm sure I've said this before) but one of the things I miss most about my hometown in the UK is the excellent recycling services and facilities, so I can't let that comment pass. whilst I love the Brocki and 'gratis' culture, I find Switzerland's recycling facilities a little bit lacking, particularly as I don't have a car.

For well over 20yrs, every home has had 5 recycling bins and the local recycling centre takes just about everything else. I spent the first half of last year getting rid of 90% of my belongings and doing a total refurb of the UK house, so I spent a hell of a lot of time at the recycling centre, and the people who work there are absolute stars. They check every car load and help people carry stuff to their correct recycling bays, and pull out any 'good stuff' that they upcycle or repair and sell for charity. What those people don't know about recycling, you can fit on the back of a stamp, and they told me that the bane of their lives are VHS video and audio cassettes.

https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Bi...-do-I-use.aspx

Then the 3rd level of recycling is Tommy C. who is the stuff of local legend, and one of only a handful of people with a pass to the town's only industrial waste unit. He only charges for items that he can't pass on to a restorer/repairer/upcycler or sell for a profit as scrap metal, etc. I filled his truck 4 times over and was only charged £115, which shows how little actually went to the waste disposal unit.

Caleb 25.06.2019 10:57

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3078384)
Did they take your possible fancy allergies/veganism/raw food eating/frutarianism/religious meat issues in account?

I am not allergic and I eat anything except for meat (I include fish, pork, beef, chicken and the whole lot under "meat"). But their app gives you plenty of categories of food you can "book":


https://i.imgur.com/XtU243T.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/c5UwKfq.jpg

MusicChick 25.06.2019 11:06

Re: Climate change - what do you do to save the world?
 
Jesus. I should have had breakfast. Not fair!

Gotta try this. Bagels? Are there any good NYC leftover cheapo bagels, perhaps?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0