Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.09.2019, 05:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ticino
Posts: 63
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Anoushella has slipped a little
The dirt on Switzerland

To me, an American, Switzerland seems like the perfect country, but every country has its problems... so what would you say are Switzerland’s main problems? Or is it really as good as it seems to outsiders?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.09.2019, 08:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,194
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,179 Times in 7,338 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

There are already so many threads where an outsider comes to EF wearing rose-colored glasses.

Switzerland is not perfect. But we all define 'perfect' differently, just as we all define imperfect differently. So much of how one sees Switzerland depends on one's expectations, on one's background, and then on one's specific experiences here. And on why or how one ended up here in the first place.

For some, Switzerland is utopia, for others it is hell on earth. For many it's somewhere in-between.

Why not browse one of the many other threads on this topic, then see what you have to add?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29.09.2019, 10:09
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,275
Groaned at 1,898 Times in 1,440 Posts
Thanked 33,337 Times in 15,904 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
what would you say are Switzerland’s main problems?
Too many whiny foreigners who don't speak the language.

Having to vote 4 times a year.

Having to pay for trash.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 29.09.2019, 10:16
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,317
Groaned at 44 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,101 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Too popular and populated for my taste.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/populat...tries/43156402
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 29.09.2019, 10:27
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,523
Groaned at 457 Times in 363 Posts
Thanked 20,253 Times in 8,398 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post

Having to pay for trash.
I think that's one of the good points.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 29.09.2019, 10:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 7,766
Groaned at 435 Times in 361 Posts
Thanked 9,475 Times in 4,544 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

- Too many people crossing the border to burglar our houses.
- The false myth of being such a crime-free country.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 29.09.2019, 10:36
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,130
Groaned at 262 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 13,796 Times in 4,212 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

It’s not dirt. It’s manure.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 29.09.2019, 10:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,730
Groaned at 231 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,292 Times in 2,422 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

When I moved here from London boroughs around 30 years ago, I thought it was Utopia. And it was.

Zurich was a chocolate box town that thought it was a city. But tbh today, Zurich has just grown into an over-populated local high street that has retained none of it’s original charm, except that there’s still a lake.

It lacks any “vibe” that you might associate with other cities, and just exists. Sad but true in my eyes.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 29.09.2019, 11:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,084
Groaned at 829 Times in 582 Posts
Thanked 16,510 Times in 6,480 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
- Too many people crossing the border to burglar our houses.
- The false myth of being such a crime-free country.
Only the more silly and unrealistic people among us think Switzerland is 'crime-free', but the levels of violent crime, especially on the streets at night, are WAY below many other EU countries. By average standards worldwide it is still a ridiculously safe place to be.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 29.09.2019, 11:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 7,766
Groaned at 435 Times in 361 Posts
Thanked 9,475 Times in 4,544 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Only the more silly and unrealistic people among us think Switzerland is 'crime-free', but the levels of violent crime, especially on the streets at night, are WAY below many other EU countries. By average standards worldwide it is still a ridiculously safe place to be.
Some crimes are less, other crimes are more occurring than in the us neighbouring countries. Burglary is one of those often occurring crimes and a reason why many Swiss don't like to live on the groundfloor.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.09.2019, 13:44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 421
Groaned at 88 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 618 Times in 243 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

The change in Basel in the last few years has been dramatic. All you have to do is sit in traffic and look at the numerous construction cranes to see it. Most importantly, the Kaserne/Claraplatz area has turned into an open crime zone despite the police department being stationed nearby.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.09.2019, 13:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,899
Groaned at 303 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,591 Times in 6,582 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
To me, an American, Switzerland seems like the perfect country, but every country has its problems... so what would you say are Switzerland’s main problems? Or is it really as good as it seems to outsiders?
Switzerland is not perfect but compared to other places is doing much, much better. It's a safe (well, as said before - no place is perfectly anything, normal precautions should be followed like everywhere else, really...), decent and beautiful country. Boy, it's so beautiful that sometimes you don't even realise anymore, it became just....normal.

How much you'll like it here it will depend on your capacity to adapt and make the best out of it. And try not to replicate your little St. Francisco suburbia style here. Or the education system, or whatever else you find extremely advanced and everybody else should adopt or copy. (not saying you'll do that, but have noticed that this might be a cause for unhappiness in some expats)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 29.09.2019, 13:59
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,130
Groaned at 262 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 13,796 Times in 4,212 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

It needs to be said that the OP is in Ticino, where things work a bit differently. Just ask Tom.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 29.09.2019, 14:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,730
Groaned at 231 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,292 Times in 2,422 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is not perfect but compared to other places is doing much, much better. It's a safe (well, as said before - no place is perfectly anything, normal precautions should be followed like everywhere else, really...), decent and beautiful country. Boy, it's so beautiful that sometimes you don't even realise anymore, it became just....normal.

How much you'll like it here it will depend on your capacity to adapt and make the best out of it. And try not to replicate your little St. Francisco suburbia style here. Or the education system, or whatever else you find extremely advanced and everybody else should adopt or copy. (not saying you'll do that, but have noticed that this might be a cause for unhappiness in some expats)
Yes agree completely. It’s a wonderful place to live and feel safe in, especially with a family. If given a choice, I wouldn’t choose anywhere else on this Planet.

Fact is OP, you were looking for dirt, and the decision to make a life here is now up to you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 29.09.2019, 14:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 6,678
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,206 Times in 3,808 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

OP, to find the negatives that have bothered others so far, have a look at
https://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/

To search for any specific thing that you know would feel negative for you, you could try searching as set out here:
https://www.englishforum.ch/3104958-post3.html
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29.09.2019, 14:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,899
Groaned at 303 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,591 Times in 6,582 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Yes agree completely. It’s a wonderful place to live and feel safe in, especially with a family. If given a choice, I wouldn’t choose anywhere else on this Planet.

Fact is OP, you were looking for dirt, and the decision to make a life here is now up to you!
Yes! I mean, 4 y.o. kids walk alone to kindergarten....maybe not everywhere especially in a large city, but I would say it's still something typical for CH. It used to be in other places too, not anymore....not really. I personally like they still do certain things in an old-fashioned way.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 29.09.2019, 19:46
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 3,908
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,013 Times in 2,770 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Yes! I mean, 4 y.o. kids walk alone to kindergarten....maybe not everywhere especially in a large city, but I would say it's still something typical for CH. It used to be in other places too, not anymore....not really. I personally like they still do certain things in an old-fashioned way.
But they are not really walking alone - they are on recommend routes, where there are other adults walking younger children to school. And in our case even the police are regularly observing what is going on, they usually park on my drive way to be out of the kids sight.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 29.09.2019, 20:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ticino
Posts: 63
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Anoushella has slipped a little
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Yes, my little California suburban style is pretty fabulous but I have no intention to move to Switzerland and push my way on others. I respect the Swiss way of life and think my family would adapt well.

I’ve lived in “crime-free” parts of the world, such as Tokyo, and was told by locals that crimes generally aren’t discussed, since they want to keep real estate prices high, and I suspect it’s that way in many nice parts of the world, so I have no delusion that Switzerland is completely crime-free.

Paying for trash? Not cool. But if that’s the worst you’ve got, I’ll take it


Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is not perfect but compared to other places is doing much, much better. It's a safe (well, as said before - no place is perfectly anything, normal precautions should be followed like everywhere else, really...), decent and beautiful country. Boy, it's so beautiful that sometimes you don't even realise anymore, it became just....normal.

How much you'll like it here it will depend on your capacity to adapt and make the best out of it. And try not to replicate your little St. Francisco suburbia style here. Or the education system, or whatever else you find extremely advanced and everybody else should adopt or copy. (not saying you'll do that, but have noticed that this might be a cause for unhappiness in some expats)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anoushella for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 29.09.2019, 20:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 334
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 320 Times in 169 Posts
Rjellsch has earned the respect of manyRjellsch has earned the respect of manyRjellsch has earned the respect of many
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
To me, an American, Switzerland seems like the perfect country, but every country has its problems... so what would you say are Switzerland’s main problems? Or is it really as good as it seems to outsiders?
The continual influx of communist EU sympathizers has become tiresome and shows no signs of abating.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Rjellsch for this useful post:
This user groans at Rjellsch for this post:
  #20  
Old 29.09.2019, 20:33
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,834
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,424 Times in 5,587 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The dirt on Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The continual influx of communist EU sympathizers has become tiresome and shows no signs of abating.
You are from the EU?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Off Road Dirt Scooter [Zug] Halfasleep Items for sale 2 30.09.2018 12:52
dirt trails accessible from Geneva? khizr Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 5 06.04.2015 20:51
The price of dirt Karl Daily life 10 22.05.2014 21:59
MTB and dirt in Basel? rogermorse Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 3 08.05.2013 07:30
Americans Voted The Coolest People In World, Belgiums Ranked As Dirt? Zuger International affairs/politics 56 09.09.2011 11:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0