English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine? (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/295081-any-recourse-broken-sole-communal-washing-machine.html)

Katerina Nick 08.11.2019 10:46

Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
(I feel like the peanut gallery is already laughing....)

Dear all,

I searched through "washing machine" and "washer" posts and as 98% of them were requests for opinions on buying a new machine, you have probably all given up on the communal ones....

So our 4-floor apartment building has one communal washer, which has been broken for a week. I asked the caretaker again today about when, possibly, might it be fixed - maybe Monday, maybe Wednesday (next). I have two smallish kids and a shitload of laundry already piled up - I would rather not have to go old school and wash by hand, but washing services are quite expensive. Is there any way in the world "they" would deduct from the rent so as to cover a few kilos of wash at a cleaners? What do others do in this situation? I live in a smallish town and there isn't a public laundry.

Thanks a lot,
Katerina

Today only 08.11.2019 10:58

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
So how much does "a few kg" of washing cost in a laundrette......

Dougal's Breakfast 08.11.2019 11:00

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
I handwashed for a couple of years and found it rather zen, although jeans were a bugger to wring.

Do you have a public fountain nearby?

Katerina Nick 08.11.2019 11:02

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
The cheapest I found (no ironing) was 7chf/kg, minimum 49chf I think... but we haven't been here long enough to not cringe over 80-100chf for a few loads of wash :(

Katerina Nick 08.11.2019 11:04

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Hahaha - I am apparently not old enough on the forum to be able to thank you for the laugh...

Sandgrounder 08.11.2019 11:09

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Do you have any friends in the area you could cash in a favour and get them to do a couple of loads for you? Shout them a lunch or something in return.

I've done this in the past for a friend whose machine was on the blink. She came over, we did the washing and killed a bottle of wine in the process... :msnblush:

Katerina Nick 08.11.2019 11:38

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
I wish - although my husband has been here a few years he's not the most social of beings, and the kids and I have been here a few months, and although I've made a few friendly acquaintances, none are close enough geographically to have it be plausible.

Anyone got a washboard I can borrow? :)

Chuff 08.11.2019 11:38

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katerina Nick (Post 3118268)
(I feel like the peanut gallery is already laughing....)

Dear all,

I searched through "washing machine" and "washer" posts and as 98% of them were requests for opinions on buying a new machine, you have probably all given up on the communal ones....

So our 4-floor apartment building has one communal washer, which has been broken for a week. I asked the caretaker again today about when, possibly, might it be fixed - maybe Monday, maybe Wednesday (next). I have two smallish kids and a shitload of laundry already piled up - I would rather not have to go old school and wash by hand, but washing services are quite expensive. Is there any way in the world "they" would deduct from the rent so as to cover a few kilos of wash at a cleaners? What do others do in this situation? I live in a smallish town and there isn't a public laundry.

Thanks a lot,
Katerina

Speak to your letting agency and ask them if they can provide any temporary options?

curley 08.11.2019 11:53

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katerina Nick (Post 3118294)
I wish - although my husband has been here a few years he's not the most social of beings, and the kids and I have been here a few months, and although I've made a few friendly acquaintances, none are close enough geographically to have it be plausible.

Anyone got a washboard I can borrow? :)

Remember, no music-making after 8 pm :D

Did you ask the neighbours how they cope?

Phil_MCR 08.11.2019 11:55

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
There was some guide on deductions on rent available for various things e.g. non-working kitchen. You'll have to find this and see if washing machine is on there.

Sandgrounder 08.11.2019 11:57

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 3118300)
Remember, no music-making after 8 pm :D

Did you ask the neighbours how they cope?

Thatís a good idea. Itís amazing how being inconvenienced by a common problem can rally round and unite even the grumpiest and anti social of neighbours :D

EdwinNL 08.11.2019 11:58

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Ours was broken for 4 days before it got replaced, I just asked the neighbours whom I did not know by then if I could run a machine with stuff for the kids in their laundry room, sure no problem. Did two washes, gave them a bottle of wine from our own kabinet and everybody was happy.

Urs Max 08.11.2019 12:35

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katerina Nick (Post 3118268)
So our 4-floor apartment building has one communal washer, which has been broken for a week. I asked the caretaker again today about when, possibly, might it be fixed - maybe Monday, maybe Wednesday (next).

You're way tooo sweet :)

Send them a letter by registered mail immediately. Point out that they take half an eternity (list what's happened so far to demonstrate that you're reasonably patient) which is inacceptable because <children and family>. This forces you to demand a very quick repair, i.e. within three business days, which is no later than Wednesday if you can make sure they receive the letter today before, say, 4pm.
Is delivery by yourself an option? Have them confirm receipt on your copy if so. Demand repair done by Thursday otherwise, assuming it's sent today or tomorrow.

Failing that you reserve the right to hold them responsible for any additional costs you incur, including but not limited to the costs of getting the closest public laundry which is in <location> (do you have a car available? 50 Rappen per km is fair), the costs to wash there <list cost range for a wash>, and in addition demand a rent reduction until the machine has been repaired or replaced because it reduces the value of the apartment/rent.

Bonus points if you get other renters to co-sign, the more the better.

st2lemans 08.11.2019 12:38

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Buy one.

Tom

curley 08.11.2019 12:51

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3118329)
You're way tooo sweet :)

Send them a letter by registered mail immediately. Point out that they take half an eternity (list what's happened so far to demonstrate that you're reasonably patient) which is inacceptable because <children and family>. This forces you to demand a very quick repair, i.e. within three business days, which is no later than Wednesday if you can make sure they receive the letter today before, say, 4pm.
Is delivery by yourself an option? Have them confirm receipt on your copy if so. Demand repair done by Thursday otherwise, assuming it's sent today or tomorrow.

Failing that you reserve the right to hold them responsible for any additional costs you incur, including but not limited to the costs of getting the closest public laundry which is in <location> (do you have a car available? 50 Rappen per km is fair), the costs to wash there <list cost range for a wash>, and in addition demand a rent reduction until the machine has been repaired or replaced because it reduces the value of the apartment/rent.

Bonus points if you get other renters to co-sign, the more the better.

One week - half an eternety? Seriously?

How long did it take until someone reported it?
The mechanic probably did not drop out of bed to check the fault. More likely he's a busy man with appointments scheduled.
Spare parts need to be ordered/delivered
......

Writing a letter, giving a deadline is a good idea as OP only gets "maybe's" and "dunno's" apparently, which is definitely not good enough.

It's a washing machine though, not a fire.

Mrs. Doolittle 09.11.2019 01:39

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Hard to imagine that the other tenants in the building are putting up with this situation.

Do you know any of your neighbours? This seems like a good time to get acquainted. Maybe someone can offer you some suggestions for an interim solution.

A registered letter to the landlord is the way to proceed here.

omtatsat 09.11.2019 08:53

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougal's Breakfast (Post 3118278)
I handwashed for a couple of years and found it rather zen, although jeans were a bugger to wring.

Do you have a public fountain nearby?

The rule is. Never wash jeans. Its bad for them. Just hang outside

Medea Fleecestealer 09.11.2019 09:14

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Today only (Post 3118275)
So how much does "a few kg" of washing cost in a laundrette......

You assume there is one. The only one here in Fribourg city closed some years ago so I have no idea where to find one if I needed it.

omtatsat 09.11.2019 09:18

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katerina Nick (Post 3118268)
(I feel like the peanut gallery is already laughing....)

Dear all,

I searched through "washing machine" and "washer" posts and as 98% of them were requests for opinions on buying a new machine, you have probably all given up on the communal ones....

So our 4-floor apartment building has one communal washer, which has been broken for a week. I asked the caretaker again today about when, possibly, might it be fixed - maybe Monday, maybe Wednesday (next). I have two smallish kids and a shitload of laundry already piled up - I would rather not have to go old school and wash by hand, but washing services are quite expensive. Is there any way in the world "they" would deduct from the rent so as to cover a few kilos of wash at a cleaners? What do others do in this situation? I live in a smallish town and there isn't a public laundry.

Thanks a lot,
Katerina

Where I live one loads money onto the account and uses the maschine. So its use or not use.

Mrs. Doolittle 09.11.2019 09:46

Re: Any recourse for broken sole communal washing machine?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 3118504)
Where I live one loads money onto the account and uses the maschine. So its use or not use.

Whether there is a washkey system in place is irrelevant as the machine is out of service.

Having the use of a washing machine is part of the rental contract. Finding a solution to the problem will likely be costly.

I have only seen laundromats (where you do the wash yourself) in Zurich. I know that washing services are less expensive in Germany so that might be a less expensive option than Switzerland.

I really do feel for the OP. When our previous machine broke down and I had to wait 10 days for a service call it was a huge inconvenience.

The name of your landlord is on your rental contract. Is it a private person or an agency? If you are not getting any direct answers from the caretaker, before sending the registered letter as has been suggested, you could try and contact the landlord directly and find out what is going on.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0