Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 28.11.2019, 21:00
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,665 Times in 960 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
That's a bitch getting out of though.

Yea those dam tourons (pedestrians on holiday) who think they have the right of way and take all day to walk pass your car as the Trams are closing in on you from both sides.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 28.11.2019, 21:15
venetian's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Zuerich
Posts: 166
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 171 Times in 88 Posts
venetian is considered knowledgeablevenetian is considered knowledgeablevenetian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Basically whats needed is the closure of the Rudolf-Brun bridge [...] And of course Löwenstrasse should also be closed
Actually a lot of traffic runs on the Quaibrücke, filling the Burkliplatz area with noise and exhaust gases. I wonder if a tunnel between Wollishofen and Tiefenbrunnen could be an useful shortcut, or if really all those people must go through Bellevue.

If I had the magic wand, I would make a double tunnel there, so there could also be circular S-Bahn rides between the two sides of the lake
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 28.11.2019, 21:29
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,838
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,530 Times in 5,601 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Yea those dam tourons (pedestrians on holiday) who think they have the right of way and take all day to walk pass your car as the Trams are closing in on you from both sides.
Got news for you: They DO have the right of way (as you exit on to the sidewalk) and so do the trams.
Naaa, never liked Globus parkhouse and have not used it in like for ever.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 28.11.2019, 21:29
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,665 Times in 960 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

What would solve the problem is to do away with the traffic lights and give cars the right of way.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 28.11.2019, 21:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,115
Groaned at 357 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 6,938 Times in 3,478 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Actually a lot of traffic runs on the Quaibrücke, filling the Burkliplatz area with noise and exhaust gases. I wonder if a tunnel between Wollishofen and Tiefenbrunnen could be an useful shortcut, or if really all those people must go through Bellevue.

If I had the magic wand, I would make a double tunnel there, so there could also be circular S-Bahn rides between the two sides of the lake
A Tunnel would be marvellous, almost all traffic from kreis 2 and 3 that like/need to go to kreis 7 or 8 (and the other way around) will pass by Burkliplatz. Even tho very busy there is no real alternative not in distance and not in time. And for me using the car to get from my home in kreis 2 to wherever in tries 7 or 8 is faster by car than by public transport.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 28.11.2019, 21:32
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,665 Times in 960 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Got news for you: They DO have the right of way (as you exit on to the sidewalk) and so do the trams.
Naaa, never liked Globus parkhouse and have not used it in like for ever.

I know they have the right of way but do they have to walk slower then a snail and even stop half way to take selfies?

In Rome they wouldn't even make it off the side walk!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 28.11.2019, 22:25
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 291 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 12,408 Times in 5,485 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
What would solve the problem is to do away with the traffic lights and give cars the right of way.
I'm not quite sure that I see what the problem is, but yes, there's far too much pandering to pedestrians and making the motorist suffer. As I said earlier in the thread, banning pedestrians from the roads would be a much cleaner and easier solution than trying to ban cars.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 28.11.2019, 23:02
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,838
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,530 Times in 5,601 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I know they have the right of way but do they have to walk slower then a snail and even stop half way to take selfies?

In Rome they wouldn't even make it off the side walk!
LOL, I feel you.

I think they devide themselves in tiny groups somewhere around the corner, then send them off .... the next when the first has passed 1/3 of the crosswalk and in between the individuals who don't want to join this system.
The only time they refuse to cross the street is when the trams block me anyway. I ALWAYS think of chickens in those situations, I wonder why ....

The worst is coming from Milchbucktunnel, crossing Central to go up Seilergraben. I must do this once a year .... avoid it like the pest the rest of it.
Although it is probably slightly more exciting going up Weinbergstrasse instead of Seilergraben, that would bei two more tramlines and one more crosswalk plus more cars coming from the right.
And yet I kind of like it that they did not install red-lights yet. I wonder how many people who take their driver's license test are chased accross Central.
__________________
never ever make assumptions
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 29.11.2019, 07:36
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,920
Groaned at 1,697 Times in 922 Posts
Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,507 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
LOL, I feel you.

I think they devide themselves in tiny groups somewhere around the corner, then send them off .... the next when the first has passed 1/3 of the crosswalk and in between the individuals who don't want to join this system.
The only time they refuse to cross the street is when the trams block me anyway. I ALWAYS think of chickens in those situations, I wonder why ....

The worst is coming from Milchbucktunnel, crossing Central to go up Seilergraben. I must do this once a year .... avoid it like the pest the rest of it.
Although it is probably slightly more exciting going up Weinbergstrasse instead of Seilergraben, that would bei two more tramlines and one more crosswalk plus more cars coming from the right.
And yet I kind of like it that they did not install red-lights yet. I wonder how many people who take their driver's license test are chased accross Central.
The automobile age is rapidly coming to an end. It's really not "in" anymore and is irresponsible to own and drive a car
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at omtatsat for this post:
  #50  
Old 29.11.2019, 09:48
Ato Ato is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 389
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 605 Times in 259 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
The automobile age is rapidly coming to an end. It's really not "in" anymore and is irresponsible to own and drive a car
So you're just a rebel without cause, refusing to conform by championing both the death of the car, whilst looking to buy a sports car?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 29.11.2019, 09:49
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,920
Groaned at 1,697 Times in 922 Posts
Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,507 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
So you're just a rebel without cause, refusing to conform by championing both the death of the car, whilst looking to buy a sports car?
Well that was more fantasy than anything
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 29.11.2019, 10:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 272
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 242 Times in 126 Posts
Rjellsch has earned the respect of manyRjellsch has earned the respect of manyRjellsch has earned the respect of many
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

The should start by towing away all of the broken down and burnt out ones. This place is going to look like Paris in a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 29.11.2019, 10:45
Ato Ato is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 389
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 605 Times in 259 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Well that was more fantasy than anything
I agree, it's a fantasy to think that cars will die out or be banned from Zürich. So stop your fantasising and complete the completely feasible purchase of a cobra replica. Then you can move on to complaining about the cost of fuel, or the numbers of road repairs, or the number of other cars on the road, I'm sure you'll find something to whinge about.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 29.11.2019, 10:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,517
Groaned at 1,732 Times in 1,322 Posts
Thanked 31,925 Times in 15,274 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
It's really not "in" anymore and is irresponsible to own and drive a car
I'll be sure to tell that to my wife.

I only own motorcycles.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 29.11.2019, 11:19
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,920
Groaned at 1,697 Times in 922 Posts
Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,507 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I agree, it's a fantasy to think that cars will die out or be banned from Zürich. So stop your fantasising and complete the completely feasible purchase of a cobra replica. Then you can move on to complaining about the cost of fuel, or the numbers of road repairs, or the number of other cars on the road, I'm sure you'll find something to whinge about.
Well. It would be a toss up between that and a Lotus Elise. But i'm thinking a Lotus is too middle class!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 29.11.2019, 11:23
Ato Ato is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 389
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 605 Times in 259 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Well. It would be a toss up between that and a Lotus Elise. But i'm thinking a Lotus is too middle class!
Worried about moving up in class?

The elise is a fantastic car, although if you're looking for the AC-Cobra lightweight open top experience, why not get a Caterham 7? Plenty of options already certified in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 29.11.2019, 11:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 53
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 26 Posts
Danieldreier has earned the respect of manyDanieldreier has earned the respect of manyDanieldreier has earned the respect of many
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

I often ask myself what the folks in the Zurich traffic planning office are smoking. Definitely a different blend than what I smoke.

My blend: When you have 4 parallel streets, make one a dedicated high-speed road for cars, another a dedicated bus and tram viaduct, another a dedicated bicycle road, and the fourth a pleasant, family-friendly walking street.

The Zurich traffic planning dept. blend: Squeeze cars, buses, trams, bicycles and pedestrians onto each of the 4 streets and hope they don't kill each other. When the inevitable happens, blame it on drivers and call for a ban.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 29.11.2019, 11:42
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,961
Groaned at 128 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 26,346 Times in 10,116 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I often ask myself what the folks in the Zurich traffic planning office are smoking. Definitely a different blend than what I smoke.

My blend: When you have 4 parallel streets, make one a dedicated high-speed road for cars, another a dedicated bus and tram viaduct, another a dedicated bicycle road, and the fourth a pleasant, family-friendly walking street.
Isn't that going to seriously piss off the business owners on the speedy road and dedicated bus road?

Suddenly all their foot traffic and vehicle access is gone.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 29.11.2019, 12:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 53
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 26 Posts
Danieldreier has earned the respect of manyDanieldreier has earned the respect of manyDanieldreier has earned the respect of many
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that going to seriously piss off the business owners on the speedy road and dedicated bus road?

Suddenly all their foot traffic and vehicle access is gone.
In my Zurich utopia, all business property owners would (magically) benefit from increased access to the city .

Owners of business property on pedestrian and bicycle streets would benefit from demand for retail space due to the higher concentrations of foot and cycle traffic.

Owners of business property on motorway and public transportation streets would benefit from increased demand for office space thanks to the much shorter commuting times required. Retail businesses which cater to motorists and public transportation commuters would also experience increased traffic.

Traffic would (magically) flow from car to public transportation to bike to foot, without everyone getting in each other's way.

The current setup disperses all forms of traffic across all streets, which is not an ideal setup for businesses - and retailers in particular. High pedestrian traffic is limited to the city center, and motorists avoid the city in favor of satellite towns because they are punished for driving into the city. Meanwhile all road users are too busy trying to avoid colliding with each other to give much thought to the businesses they are passing. That may or may not be an exaggeration, but those are my impressions of the current Zurich road regime.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 29.11.2019, 15:37
smileygreebins's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 386
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 777 Times in 221 Posts
smileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ban cars from cental Zurich

If all pedestrians were equipped with jet packs, then the walkways would be cleared, albeit we'd have to make sure that all shop & office doors were wide enough to "fly" straight into?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank smileygreebins for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car dealers that BUY cars in Zurich area? DS85 Transportation/driving 9 02.08.2017 16:07
Reasonable garage for old cars around Zurich sholay Transportation/driving 6 27.02.2017 13:06
Where can I hire luxury cars in Zurich? cremebrulee Transportation/driving 7 17.07.2013 17:33
Albini used cars in Zurich Starald Transportation/driving 0 21.05.2013 17:02
Typical day in Zurich [Super cars] Kash_Z Daily life 0 13.06.2012 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0