Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03.12.2019, 16:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,940
Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,935 Times in 992 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Don’t you mean your Italian friend was 20 minutes late? Than goodness he is half-Swiss?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 03.12.2019, 17:53
Clumsy Maman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 779
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,075 Times in 474 Posts
Clumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Over the last few years, we’ve accepted that Swiss punctuality is a myth! None of our Swiss friends are punctual - we’ve got the Aargauer, the Basler, the Zürcher, the Walliser, the Ticinese and the Romands, all arriving a good 10-20 mins late.

Time to get new Swiss friends, methinks.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Clumsy Maman for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 03.12.2019, 18:02
Axa Axa is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Axa is considered knowledgeableAxa is considered knowledgeableAxa is considered knowledgeable
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
It isn't?

Well, Swiss federalism and all that.



The document linked by Sandgrounder comes from Zürich canton. Strictly speaking, this is the Swiss government https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start.html
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03.12.2019, 18:08
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,948
Groaned at 439 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 19,060 Times in 7,993 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
Over the last few years, we’ve accepted that Swiss punctuality is a myth! None of our Swiss friends are punctual - we’ve got the Aargauer, the Basler, the Zürcher, the Walliser, the Ticinese and the Romands, all arriving a good 10-20 mins late.

Time to get new Swiss friends, methinks.
It may well be the older generations more. We've had lots of elderly neighbours around for lunch and dinner and whilst they are lovely company, they are sticklers for tradition.

Having said that, we visited some young Swiss friends a few years ago and they refused to give anyone a drink before the meal and until it was half-way through the main course of beef.
The host then announced, when he finally served the wine, that he didn't think wine would go with the first course.

Does the guide also say that you need to nod appreciatively and remain attentive when neighbours insist on showing you their house and you politely say yes but regret the decision after the tour has been going on for half-an-hour and you've only got through the sitting room and the downstairs loo?

Lovely people but it was a bit of an ordeal.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03.12.2019, 19:10
Clumsy Maman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 779
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,075 Times in 474 Posts
Clumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Sounds like you need new young Swiss friends, Tom1234!

Our above-mentioned friends are in their 40s; so yes maybe the young crowd are doing things differently.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03.12.2019, 19:14
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 13,323
Groaned at 199 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 15,615 Times in 7,956 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
It may well be the older generations more. We've had lots of elderly neighbours around for lunch and dinner and whilst they are lovely company, they are sticklers for tradition.

Having said that, we visited some young Swiss friends a few years ago and they refused to give anyone a drink before the meal and until it was half-way through the main course of beef.
The host then announced, when he finally served the wine, that he didn't think wine would go with the first course.

Does the guide also say that you need to nod appreciatively and remain attentive when neighbours insist on showing you their house and you politely say yes but regret the decision after the tour has been going on for half-an-hour and you've only got through the sitting room and the downstairs loo?

Lovely people but it was a bit of an ordeal.
I find having "a tour" in somebody's apartment a bit awkward, in general. In galleries - yes, museums, too. But an apartment? Unless it's Biltmore, that was fun.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03.12.2019, 19:19
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,664 Times in 960 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like you need new young Swiss friends, Tom1234!

Our above-mentioned friends are in their 40s; so yes maybe the young crowd are doing things differently.

So being fashionably late could be cool again?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03.12.2019, 19:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,372
Groaned at 270 Times in 219 Posts
Thanked 10,979 Times in 5,833 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Zurich is the centre of the Universe. Around Zurich lake we're all on time (meaning 1-2 minutes earlier) and polite. And we don't drink too much....

Therefore, I salute their initiative: foreigners should be punctual. And not overstay their welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03.12.2019, 19:21
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 13,323
Groaned at 199 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 15,615 Times in 7,956 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

My friends without kids are usually early and can't wait for a drink. My friends with kids are usually late and can't wait for a drink, either.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 03.12.2019, 19:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,588
Groaned at 50 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 7,562 Times in 3,151 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
Does the guide also say that you need to nod appreciatively and remain attentive when neighbours insist on showing you their house and you politely say yes but regret the decision after the tour has been going on for half-an-hour and you've only got through the sitting room and the downstairs loo?

Lovely people but it was a bit of an ordeal.
Oh? I find this comment interesting. I've been shown around people's homes in many countries, as part of being made welcome. Exceptions: never, ever in Switzerland, nor in the UK, not even in the homes of people I got to know well.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03.12.2019, 20:06
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,954
Groaned at 215 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 21,087 Times in 8,992 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
My friends without kids are usually early and can't wait for a drink. My friends with kids are usually late and can't wait for a drink, either.
maybe it's your drinks that are just too good.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 03.12.2019, 20:09
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 13,323
Groaned at 199 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 15,615 Times in 7,956 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
maybe it's your drinks that are just too good.
Lol. Notoriously...and soups.

I am just now pondering how to spike those beauties, gently and festively, so guests still remember eating https://fooby.ch/fr/recettes/recette...0&filtersFeed1[treffertyp]=rezepte
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03.12.2019, 20:10
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,834
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,522 Times in 5,595 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
Zurich is the centre of the Universe. Around Zurich lake we're all on time (meaning 1-2 minutes earlier) and polite. And we don't drink too much....
Jesus, what have you all down to my town!

To me it makes a difference whether someone comes to my house (fine to be unpunctual, I live in the sticks, traffic will dictate things and actually the dates are usual something like "eightish") or meeting in a restaurant (hate it when people are late).

As to looking at flats: I LOVE looking at flats. Should I ever get bored at old age, I will spend my time looking at every flat advertised . Best when empty. Even better for sale so I can phantasize about all the things I could adapt. Well, actually phantasizing can be done about any, come to think of it.
__________________
never ever make assumptions
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 04.12.2019, 10:44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 355
Groaned at 40 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 404 Times in 117 Posts
makeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputation
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

In the pamphlet quote for foreigners there seems to be this impression that Auslanders need some advice on how to adjust and fit into Swiss culture (i.e., take heed: start being on time, start being polite and start behaving yourselves in an orderly fashion).

What if newcomers have great cultural traits that Swiss society has been a little low on and we're actually bringing to them personality traits that are wonderfully new (other than just labor) that is badly needed and going to make the atmosphere of living in Switzerland better than before?

.... perhaps, things that they haven't even thought of that newcomers are much better at than them, that they badly need and they will end up being happy if/when they grow from learning from the "newly arrived foreigners"?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04.12.2019, 10:51
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,958
Groaned at 128 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 26,304 Times in 10,099 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
In the pamphlet quote for foreigners there seems to be this impression that Auslanders need some advice on how to adjust and fit into Swiss culture (i.e., take heed: start being on time, start being polite and start behaving yourselves in an orderly fashion).

What if newcomers have great cultural traits that Swiss society has been a little low on and we're actually bringing to them personality traits that are wonderfully new (other than just labor) that is badly needed and going to make the atmosphere of living in Switzerland better than before?

.... perhaps, things that they haven't even thought of that newcomers are much better at than them, that they badly need and they will end up being happy if/when they grow from learning from the "newly arrived foreigners"?
I think you are reading too much into it, to be fair. Nowhere does it give the impression that foreigners should modify their own behaviour when it comes to punctuality (although you might if you keep missing trains because you're perpetually late). It's just a wee note, at the end of a shedload of other useful info, giving a heads-up on what to expect.

If anything, Zurich is teeming with foreigners and their influence is everywhere around the city so perhaps the leaflet has been borne out of a continuing round of FAQs?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04.12.2019, 10:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 355
Groaned at 40 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 404 Times in 117 Posts
makeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputationmakeabigwish has an excellent reputation
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
I think you are reading too much into it.



..... what about a little fun?



So, a great cultural gift from foreigners is the addition of brunch on the weekends.


This is a funny one. The brunch was invented by people who can't get out of bed on time. So now we have a bunch of people trying to be on time to something that was for being late by design.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04.12.2019, 11:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,372
Groaned at 270 Times in 219 Posts
Thanked 10,979 Times in 5,833 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
In the pamphlet quote for foreigners there seems to be this impression that Auslanders need some advice on how to adjust and fit into Swiss culture (i.e., take heed: start being on time, start being polite and start behaving yourselves in an orderly fashion).

What if newcomers have great cultural traits that Swiss society has been a little low on and we're actually bringing to them personality traits that are wonderfully new (other than just labor) that is badly needed and going to make the atmosphere of living in Switzerland better than before?

.... perhaps, things that they haven't even thought of that newcomers are much better at than them, that they badly need and they will end up being happy if/when they grow from learning from the "newly arrived foreigners"?

Hmm, an acquaintance of mine has been told something along the line of "It doesn't matter where you come from, who or what you are and what you think of this matter, in Switzerland we do these things like this......". End of story. Maybe it's better to keep that in mind...

Anyways, there's a great deal of generalisations about the Swiss on this thread. I have Swiss friends who are much more open and friendlier than me, and I used to think I'm very sociable blah blah. And I mean genuinely friendly, not faking interest out of politeness or whatever.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 04.12.2019, 11:51
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,948
Groaned at 439 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 19,060 Times in 7,993 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
.

So, a great cultural gift from foreigners is the addition of brunch on the weekends.


This is a funny one. The brunch was invented by people who can't get out of bed on time. So now we have a bunch of people trying to be on time to something that was for being late by design.
The first time I had 'brunch' was many, many years ago in the U.K. -at a Swiss couple's house.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 04.12.2019, 11:52
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,948
Groaned at 439 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 19,060 Times in 7,993 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
Hmm, an acquaintance of mine has been told something along the line of "It doesn't matter where you come from, who or what you are and what you think of this matter, in Switzerland we do these things like this......". End of story. Maybe it's better to keep that in mind...
How can one reply to that?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04.12.2019, 12:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 8,372
Groaned at 270 Times in 219 Posts
Thanked 10,979 Times in 5,833 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Official: CH Gvt Tells Foreigners to Be Prompt

Quote:
View Post
How can one reply to that?
You smile or laugh, nod, say "OK, I didn't know that" and move on with your life or with the conversation..

Frankly, I see these things less and less black and white. It's not a question of someone being right or wrong, I found some people's willingness to "warn" you or kindly remind you of potential cultural difference quite sincere, even though they may have a comic effect at times. It's the intention that counts.

If I moved to Paris and tried to make friends there, I'd probably have to adjust myself much more. Things I find totally irrelevant and superficial now would carry a different weight there. Of course, we all want to stay true to ourselves and only to ourselves, but it's only the small adjustments we can at least do, I think. I know nothing though.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
she tells him off - translation Taty99 Language corner 18 27.06.2013 23:08
Gory YouTube clips prompt call for action The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 29.03.2012 13:02
Killings prompt Swiss to tighten gun laws The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 23.11.2011 12:51
Swisscare - prompt reimbursement HashBrown Insurance 0 25.11.2010 12:24
Prompt change of address on Permit ( ZH ) jrspet Permits/visas/government 1 11.07.2008 08:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0