Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08.12.2019, 11:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
You could argue the same about anything.

How many of us know skiers who really aren't very good but still spend thousands on the latest, best gear each season or two?
I don’t know anyone who does that. Most people I know who ski get their gear serviced around Oct/Nov and replace it infrequently. I think most skiers know that when you find a pair of ski boots that work for you, you hang onto them until they fall apart. Even the less experienced ones.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08.12.2019, 15:14
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Lake Zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 70 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
redbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthy
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I am clearly close-minded neanderthal for thinking buying a 500chf+ scarf is nuts. I will be sure to work on that in 2020, because buying outrageously expensive scarves is clearly the sign of an open and progressive mentality.
For my young nephew a 30 CHF scarf is already expensive, for Melanie Trump a 500 CHF scarf is very modest. 20 years ago I would not have spent this kind of money on a scarf but now I can easily afford and time and pleasure are more important to me (in many cases) than $$$

Your absolute statements position you as very closed minded. If you'd work on that, it may help accelerate your career and income so you get a broader view of tastes and preferences and may be able to afford them as well.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at redbanner for this post:
  #43  
Old 08.12.2019, 15:17
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,078
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
For my young nephew a 30 CHF scarf is already expensive, for Melanie Trump a 500 CHF scarf is very modest. 20 years ago I would not have spent this kind of money on a scarf but now I can easily afford and time and pleasure are more important to me (in many cases) than $$$

Your absolute statements position you as very closed minded. If you'd work on that, it may help accelerate your career and income so you get a broader view of tastes and preferences and may be able to afford them as well.
Please stop the personal attacks
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08.12.2019, 15:38
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,401 Times in 947 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
Do not, under any circumstances, google Evliya Çelebi and "my father honey".
And, definitely don't google Fendi vulva scarf..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 08.12.2019, 15:46
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,401 Times in 947 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Scarf hunters could also try H&M and Tally Weijl.

Next Direct, John Lewis, House of Fraser, Debenhams, M&S will also deliver to Switzerland.

Don't just buy a scarf and hang around, buy a hat too and go on ahead.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 08.12.2019, 16:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
For my young nephew a 30 CHF scarf is already expensive, for Melanie Trump a 500 CHF scarf is very modest. 20 years ago I would not have spent this kind of money on a scarf but now I can easily afford and time and pleasure are more important to me (in many cases) than $$$

Your absolute statements position you as very closed minded. If you'd work on that, it may help accelerate your career and income so you get a broader view of tastes and preferences and may be able to afford them as well.
Nouveau riche. Tsk...

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 09.12.2019, 02:45
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Lake Zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 70 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
redbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthy
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
Please stop the personal attacks
Sure

Let's just keep in mind that the OP asked for advice on "their favorite places to buy nice big thick soft winter scarves in Zurich" and then went on to list several less upper scale stores to be excluded from the list

Burberry was a reasonable response (as well as the second idea I offered). But let's stick to Burberry - a firm established over 150 years ago and with currently close to 3 billion GBP in revenues. In other words, a brand with some staying power, relevance, etc.

I find it rather deplorable to then imply - as one poster did - that all people who purchase Burberry items are either lunatics and/or 'filthy rich'.

I am not surprised entirely though. I've been reading this forum for a long time before registering and there appears to be an undertone with a small but vocal portion of the posters which (oddly, considering they are expats who came to CH in part for the $$$) seems to have an issue with the fact that there people who are willing and able to apply a higher degree of purchasing power. I am phrasing this very politely.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09.12.2019, 07:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
Sure

Let's just keep in mind that the OP asked for advice on "their favorite places to buy nice big thick soft winter scarves in Zurich" and then went on to list several less upper scale stores to be excluded from the list

Burberry was a reasonable response (as well as the second idea I offered). But let's stick to Burberry - a firm established over 150 years ago and with currently close to 3 billion GBP in revenues. In other words, a brand with some staying power, relevance, etc.

I find it rather deplorable to then imply - as one poster did - that all people who purchase Burberry items are either lunatics and/or 'filthy rich'.

I am not surprised entirely though. I've been reading this forum for a long time before registering and there appears to be an undertone with a small but vocal portion of the posters which (oddly, considering they are expats who came to CH in part for the $$$) seems to have an issue with the fact that there people who are willing and able to apply a higher degree of purchasing power. I am phrasing this very politely.
Burberr y, much as Louis Vuitton (for instance) became so...hmm, I don't know. Cliché? It's the characters that have more and more access to these luxury products and their showing off that make them tacky in my eyes. I understand it's a "status" statement for some people and have nothing against it if that makes them happy. But not everyone wants to enrol themselves in this contingent in order to be seen and "appreciated", even when they could afford these luxuries. It's also a question of caring more about how one's money are spent and their priorities. It might be a generational thing perhaps, "millennials" are into other things than baby boomers generations for instance, if we want to over-simplify everything...but why can't we just admit that the focus has shifted for a good part of the consumers. What makes perfect sense to you and your generation (or rather, a subgroup of your generation), it just doesn't make sense to everyone else.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
This user groans at greenmount for this post:
  #49  
Old 09.12.2019, 07:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
Burberr y, much as Louis Vuitton (for instance) became so...hmm, I don't know. Cliché?
Chavvy?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 09.12.2019, 07:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
Yes. Nouveau-riche too.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09.12.2019, 08:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

I'd sooner wear Clocker Clockhouse than be seen dead in Burberry.

How common!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 09.12.2019, 08:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
I'd sooner wear Clocker Clockhouse than be seen dead in Burberry.

How common!
I heard that having a butler who doesn't speak at least 3 languages and has a PhD is also a big no-no these days.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 09.12.2019, 08:32
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,020
Groaned at 116 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 10,790 Times in 4,748 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
I'd sooner wear Clocker Clockhouse than be seen dead in Burberry.

How common!
Same here but primarily because I've never found their designs attractive, and later the brand was adopted by the chavs. There's nothing wrong with clockhouse, particularly if it's the colour and design you're looking for. I've always had an issue with certain designer brands that charge a fortune so that you have the dubious privilige of walking around wearing their logo and giving them free advertising. Good design shouldn't need a label on display. It should be recognisable. My only exceptions are Desigual and Quiksilver because I actually like their designs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 09.12.2019, 08:47
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,287
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,337 Times in 1,386 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
I'd sooner wear Clocker Clockhouse than be seen dead in Burberry.

How common!

i wish i could afford Clockhouse.. this is my go to scarf


Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank swissotter for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 09.12.2019, 09:20
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Lake Zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 70 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
redbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthy
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
Burberr y, much as Louis Vuitton (for instance) became so...hmm, I don't know. Cliché? It's the characters that have more and more access to these luxury products and their showing off that make them tacky in my eyes. I understand it's a "status" statement for some people and have nothing against it if that makes them happy. But not everyone wants to enrol themselves in this contingent in order to be seen and "appreciated", even when they could afford these luxuries. It's also a question of caring more about how one's money are spent and their priorities. It might be a generational thing perhaps, "millennials" are into other things than baby boomers generations for instance, if we want to over-simplify everything...but why can't we just admit that the focus has shifted for a good part of the consumers. What makes perfect sense to you and your generation (or rather, a subgroup of your generation), it just doesn't make sense to everyone else.
Aha, the old "filthy rich people are less moral". Yes, we should all drive a VW Golf, wear the same clothes, live in a standard house, etc - in fact, why live in CH then when you could relocate to DPRK and live in paradise?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank redbanner for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 09.12.2019, 09:22
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,078
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
Aha, the old "filthy rich people are less moral". Yes, we should all drive a VW Golf, wear the same clothes, live in a standard house, etc - in fact, why live in CH then when you could relocate to DPRK and live in paradise?

You haven´t understood at all what Greenmount said, have you?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 09.12.2019, 09:26
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Lake Zurich
Posts: 94
Groaned at 70 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
redbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthyredbanner is considered unworthy
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
You haven´t understood at all what Greenmount said, have you?
You haven't understood why the OP started this thread have you?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09.12.2019, 09:28
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,078
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
You haven't understood why the OP started this thread have you?

I have, but your answer to Greenmount does not make sense.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 09.12.2019, 09:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

Quote:
View Post
You haven't understood why the OP started this thread have you?
New scarf requirements?

OP, make your own.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 09.12.2019, 09:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice: Winter Scarf Buying in ZH ???

OP, the best advice I can give you on sourcing anything in Switzerland; don't ask the English Forum.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter time: 11 ways to tie a scarf MrVertigo Daily life 15 24.12.2019 10:32
Buying winter wheels tr85858 Transportation/driving 9 13.10.2015 15:51
Buying winter wheels in DE Jaceq Transportation/driving 1 21.09.2013 12:32
Buying car cheaply (ha ha), winter travel? MHorn Transportation/driving 17 20.08.2013 11:48
Buying Winter Tyres in Germany voskouee Transportation/driving 3 22.09.2010 09:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0