Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #24421  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 93
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 33 Posts
LakeSwimmer has made some interesting contributions
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
So should we only report on numbers from 2 weeks ago so we're sure we have the numbers right?
Go back to your source, look at the new reported deaths (orange blocks) some deaths are not noted as covid deaths for days/weeks afterwards.

If you don't like the way we talk about numbers, only use the official sources. As far as I'm concerned the daily reports give a general indication of trends, but true information takes time to be fully visible.

As for trolling, I'm very suspicious of anyone who's first post on an online forum is asking an easily answerable question as if it's some new revelation of information. If you don't know what it is, google it.
You are correct to be suspicious. Of accepting smoke screen.
But quoting “difference to previous day 13” as daily total is wrong.
I linked to same “official” source.

You can say “ As far as I'm concerned the daily reports give a general indication of trends, but true information takes time to be fully visible. ” but this makes no sense.

I quote same link as previous person.

https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/epid...14d&detRel=abs

For you information.


I am only wanting to post the daily deaths as per my link. If you challenge the numbers then please state why and correct me.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at LakeSwimmer for this post:
  #24422  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,013 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
My GP claims she sent me my ärztliches attest by post over one week ago ... is it common for it to take that long from Basel - Bern??

I have a vaccine appointment tomorrow and I am really sweating. Do you think they will accept an emailed copy?
Yes. I used to panic when I didn't have a specific document and could provide only an emailed copy but it was OK in the end. For instance a doctor's prescription at the pharmacist's. Don't sweat it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #24423  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:35
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You are correct to be suspicious. Of accepting smoke screen.
But quoting “difference to previous day 13” as daily total is wrong.
I linked to same “official” source.

You can say “ As far as I'm concerned the daily reports give a general indication of trends, but true information takes time to be fully visible. ” but this makes no sense.

I quote same link as previous person.

https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/epid...14d&detRel=abs

For you information.

I am only wanting to post the daily deaths as per my link. If you challenge the numbers then please state why and correct me.
People shares opinions. If you want personalized adult education, that has a rate over 100 CHF/hour
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #24424  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,493
Groaned at 50 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,622 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Up to 11.04.2021, 8.48% of the Swiss population has been fully vaccinated. Don't know why the data has not been updated to last Sunday 18th. Fax machines?

In age interval terms, 56% of 80% has taken the vaccine. I guess this is near the saturation point since the surveys a few months indicated only 50-55% of the population wants the vaccine.

The 70-79 years old interval is also close to be finished vaccinating at 31% last week. I guess the major effort is now on the 60-69 years old interval in the following weeks. If the vaccinations for the 60+ years old people is completed at 50-60% in the following weeks, we should see a drop in the hospitalizations really soon because most of the hospitalizations are above 60 YO.

If the elder population has a higher acceptance of the vaccine that the average, death rates may even decrease significantly.

If the vaccination continues at the current snail pace, it would take by December 2020 to vaccinate more or less all the willing people. So, the worst scenario is that the achievable best is done by December. If vaccines are delivered faster, we finish sooner.

Not bad. Meanwhile, enjoy the reopenings of this week.

Those takeup percentages are dreadful. Sure, loads of us low priority people will be getting the vaccine within the next month to 6 weeks as a result and that's great but to get past the pandemic stage it's going to be necessary to get a higher %, at least in the risk groups.

The UK is at 95% for the over 70s...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #24425  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,754
Groaned at 274 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,250 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I can no longer find it ... but I saw a headline quickly in the news today that one canton has full ICU beds?
Reply With Quote
  #24426  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:48
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,769
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,266 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I can no longer find it ... but I saw a headline quickly in the news today that one canton has full ICU beds?

Link?
Reply With Quote
  #24427  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,754
Groaned at 274 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,250 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Link?
I'm trying to find it ... perhaps it was reported in error, I hope it was.
Reply With Quote
  #24428  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,273
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,937 Times in 6,603 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I can no longer find it ... but I saw a headline quickly in the news today that one canton has full ICU beds?
That was Schaffhausen.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #24429  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,754
Groaned at 274 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,250 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That was Schaffhausen.
Ah yes, danke - to be clear, no free ventilators:

https://www.blick.ch/schweiz/zuerich...d16470067.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #24430  
Old 20.04.2021, 14:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,493
Groaned at 50 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,622 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That was Schaffhausen.
Probably a statistical aberration more than covid, as we are talking about a very low number of beds. A grant total of ... 3 covid patients on ventilators there.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #24431  
Old 20.04.2021, 15:05
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,781
Groaned at 85 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,312 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Probably a statistical aberration more than covid, as we are talking about a very low number of beds. A grant total of ... 3 covid patients on ventilators there.
Saw an interesting illustration from the head of the German society for intensive care. The average ICU size in Germany (and probably similar here) is 12 beds. He argued that they always need at least one bed free for the next car accident, heart attack etc - so this is already 8% of capacity for this.

I am certainly not pretending that ICU are packed here, but the trend is clearly up, there are already ad-hoc beds included in the capacity statistics and I would expect that we will see non-Covid treatments again contained. Happening in Germany already.

On ventilators: once you reach this point, I believe you are at 50% survival rate. Pretty awful odds.
Reply With Quote
  #24432  
Old 20.04.2021, 15:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 93
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 33 Posts
LakeSwimmer has made some interesting contributions
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
People shares opinions. If you want personalized adult education, that has a rate over 100 CHF/hour
You can resort to insults, fine by me. I Just challeging the daily figure accepted on here (as i track back through thread). I gave data with summary per day, from same source as previous posters.

If you want to ignore my question fine. If you disagree then feel free to say why.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at LakeSwimmer for this post:
  #24433  
Old 20.04.2021, 15:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,493
Groaned at 50 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,622 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Saw an interesting illustration from the head of the German society for intensive care. The average ICU size in Germany (and probably similar here) is 12 beds. He argued that they always need at least one bed free for the next car accident, heart attack etc - so this is already 8% of capacity for this.

I am certainly not pretending that ICU are packed here, but the trend is clearly up, there are already ad-hoc beds included in the capacity statistics and I would expect that we will see non-Covid treatments again contained. Happening in Germany already.

On ventilators: once you reach this point, I believe you are at 50% survival rate. Pretty awful odds.
I'm not trying to minimise the pressure that doctors are under, but quoting national occupancy rates is more relevant than that of one small hospital covering a low population which has probably been at overcapacity before COVID was ever around.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #24434  
Old 20.04.2021, 15:12
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Those takeup percentages are dreadful. Sure, loads of us low priority people will be getting the vaccine within the next month to 6 weeks as a result and that's great but to get past the pandemic stage it's going to be necessary to get a higher %, at least in the risk groups.

The UK is at 95% for the over 70s...
I don't remember where I read at least 60-70% of vaccination. Is that accurate? In the optimistic case, at most 60% of vaccinated people in Switzerland so below the required to end the pandemic. But, if all the people willing to vaccine get vaccinated, even soft lockdowns make no sense anymore.

However, heterogeneity is part of life. Some towns/cities may have a higher vaccination rate while it's expected that towns with anthroposophists, and similar fauna will have a lower one. It would be curious to see if outbreaks are concentrated in some small regions , towns or valleys or not in the following months.
Reply With Quote
  #24435  
Old 20.04.2021, 15:20
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,472
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,103 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You can resort to insults, fine by me. I Just challeging the daily figure accepted on here (as i track back through thread). I gave data with summary per day, from same source as previous posters.

If you want to ignore my question fine. If you disagree then feel free to say why.
What you've done is come in with what you think is new information, but is already well accepted by most of the community. I know the thread is large, but I'm about 99% sure your question has been answered already, multiple times.

On the site you mentioned, look at the overview, it has the same figures as are often posted here. Reported in the last 24 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #24436  
Old 20.04.2021, 15:38
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You can resort to insults, fine by me. I Just challeging the daily figure accepted on here (as i track back through thread). I gave data with summary per day, from same source as previous posters.

If you want to ignore my question fine. If you disagree then feel free to say why.
Before challenging remember the fax machine jokes from March 2020.

So, Switzerland is a confederation of cantons with no central health database. A year ago it was published that the system to report statistics (cases and deaths) relied on lots of paper and even fax machines. Therefore, it takes a while starting with someone dying, then the doctor fills out a paper form which is faxed or scanned and sent by email, this goes to the cantonal office, the canton forwards to the federal health office, finally someone at that office reads a paper or an email and adds the number to the database. This whole process takes up to 1 week. Full story from 20.02.2020 in DE https://www.republik.ch/2020/03/20/d...edia-entnommen

The point is the slowness in data processing was widely mocked and discussed at the time. Ignoring this is totally OK. But challenging people from a position of ignorance...it's worth mocking, what do you think?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #24437  
Old 20.04.2021, 15:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 628
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,204 Times in 549 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Why the number of free ICU are being such a big deal? I mean, in March 2020 the total number of ICU was increased to 1500 and decreased to about 1000 by summer 2020. Now this number is just below 1000.
If this number is so flexible, I wonder why it is watched so much — in case of high occupancy, new ICU could be created. And I was also very puzzled that the ICU was one of the task force’s conditions for relaxing the Covid measures— keeping the businesses closed because of ICU occupancy doesn’t make much sense to me, because ICU number could be increased.

https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/hosp...icu?time=total
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank leonie for this useful post:
  #24438  
Old 20.04.2021, 16:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,493
Groaned at 50 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,622 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't remember where I read at least 60-70% of vaccination. Is that accurate? In the optimistic case, at most 60% of vaccinated people in Switzerland so below the required to end the pandemic. But, if all the people willing to vaccine get vaccinated, even soft lockdowns make no sense anymore.

However, heterogeneity is part of life. Some towns/cities may have a higher vaccination rate while it's expected that towns with anthroposophists, and similar fauna will have a lower one. It would be curious to see if outbreaks are concentrated in some small regions , towns or valleys or not in the following months.
If we are at 60% vaccination we are probably at c. 70% with covid exposure (taking into account infections). Probably close enough to herd immunity that any further wave will be small. Still ... totally unnecessary deaths will happen and the way out of restrictions will be slower.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #24439  
Old 20.04.2021, 16:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 93
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 33 Posts
LakeSwimmer has made some interesting contributions
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What you've done is come in with what you think is new information, but is already well accepted by most of the community. I know the thread is large, but I'm about 99% sure your question has been answered already, multiple times.

On the site you mentioned, look at the overview, it has the same figures as are often posted here. Reported in the last 24 hours.
I am not purporting to have any new information. No problem what so ever people posting figures from same link. If my questioning “ Deaths” and actually it is “Difference to previous day” figure and it has been answered multiple times then apologies.

I simply post numbers on detailed information link below the “ Difference to previous day ” figure (The same official url). For me this is a clearer statistic.
Reply With Quote
  #24440  
Old 20.04.2021, 16:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 93
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 33 Posts
LakeSwimmer has made some interesting contributions
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Before challenging remember the fax machine jokes from March 2020.

So, Switzerland is a confederation of cantons with no central health database. A year ago it was published that the system to report statistics (cases and deaths) relied on lots of paper and even fax machines. Therefore, it takes a while starting with someone dying, then the doctor fills out a paper form which is faxed or scanned and sent by email, this goes to the cantonal office, the canton forwards to the federal health office, finally someone at that office reads a paper or an email and adds the number to the database. This whole process takes up to 1 week. Full story from 20.02.2020 in DE https://www.republik.ch/2020/03/20/d...edia-entnommen

The point is the slowness in data processing was widely mocked and discussed at the time. Ignoring this is totally OK. But challenging people from a position of ignorance...it's worth mocking, what do you think?

Agree there must be a lag.

but to quote a source that says
“ BAG has been permanently behind schedule with recording the number of cases. Estimates are made by placing stacks of paper forms on a scale”

Mock my ignorance , feel free, if you think weighing stacks of paper to estimate figures is valid then I am surprised.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at LakeSwimmer for this post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (1 members and 6 guests)
bossybaby
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 201 22.07.2021 21:30
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 13:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 09:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 18:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 11:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0