Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #24921  
Old 05.05.2021, 23:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Not so fast, my friend. You have to stay here. It is the antivaxxers' purgatory.
I think Damian raises some valid points. Why are goalposts shifting exactly? We started with lockdowns and masks/social distancing to ensure hospitals were not overwhelmed. The point was to CONTAIN the virus and now? Governments want to eradicate the virus?

Explain how that works since we have never been able to eradicate the flu?

So we will have to wear a mask and socially distance for ad Infinitum because of so-called "variants"? And yet this so-called "pandemic"/"endemic" has a fatality rate of .02% of the general populace but we need to live in fear?

And even if one is vaccinated, one still has to wear a mask? Really?? Why get a vaccine then if masks and social distancing are still warranted for whatever reason governments deem appropriate. Therein lies the caveat...

Governments are in control of whether you vaccinate or not. Whatever happened to my body/my choice?

This is beyond nuts/crazy!

The risk for most under the age of 80 being hospitalized and/or death is negligible unless one has a co-morbidity.

Frankly, I don't get it.

PS... I am not an anti-vaxer. I have had all of my inoculations and plan to get the J&J vaccine when I am back in the US in June - for travel reasons as opposed to health reasons.

Last edited by terrifisch; 05.05.2021 at 23:52. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #24922  
Old 05.05.2021, 23:44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 408
Groaned at 55 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 246 Times in 135 Posts
LakeSwimmer is considered knowledgeableLakeSwimmer is considered knowledgeableLakeSwimmer is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
@ Hoover1

Where can i delete my membership to this forum? The mindset here for my taste is too much in one direction and non of our young families friends under 50 are willing or even thinking to be guinea pigs in an world wide experiment with vaccines Even we older people here do not agree with the brainwash the governments try to do with us. No chance by such a low mortality rate which shows no pandemic atoll.

Damian
Agree on Vaccine in that I would have wanted more long term testing. Of course this wasnt possible in order to save lives.

Brain washing? Politicians (generally) cant even control their own brains let alone other peoples.

Liked your Seychelles link and atoll segway above 😉
Reply With Quote
  #24923  
Old 05.05.2021, 23:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Olten
Posts: 633
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 501 Times in 295 Posts
hoover1 is considered knowledgeablehoover1 is considered knowledgeablehoover1 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Explain how that works since we have never been able to eradicate the flu?

.
1) check small-pox & more recent Rinderpest

2) government in CH is the people - raise petition , collect votes , have it country-wide voted down and you done.

There is no "politicians" or "government" to blame here - there is us responsible for future of our own when we cast our votes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at hoover1 for this post:
  #24924  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
1) check small-pox & more recent Rinderpest

2) government in CH is the people - raise petition , collect votes , have it country-wide voted down and you done.

There is no "politicians" or "government" to blame here - there is us responsible for future of our own when we cast our votes.
First, I am not quite sure why you reference CH here as I make no reference to CH in particular so why are you referencing CH and voting?

And are you equating COVID with Smallpox? Think the fatality rates differ and then some:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebecca...h=20d59c3847a7
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24925  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Thun
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 33 Posts
Limestone is considered knowledgeableLimestone is considered knowledgeableLimestone is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Explain how that works since we have never been able to eradicate the flu?
SARS was also from a coronavirus. It has been eradicated.
Quote:
View Post
And yet this so-called "pandemic"/"endemic" has a fatality rate of .02% of the general populace but we need to live in fear?
It's 2%. If the whole population of 7.8B is infected with the same case-fatality ratio, 140 millions will perish. Shouldn't we be careful?
Quote:
View Post
Governments are in control of whether you vaccinate or not. Whatever happened to my body/my choice?
Can I say the same thing about the law against drinking and driving?
Quote:
View Post
This is beyond nuts/crazy!
I agree
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Limestone for this useful post:
  #24926  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:23
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,348
Groaned at 522 Times in 441 Posts
Thanked 20,351 Times in 10,712 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

@ Terrifisch

Definition of a pandemic "occurring over a wide geographic area (such as multiple countries or continents) and typically affecting a significant proportion of the population."
It has nothing to do with the death rate.

Which governments want to eradicate the virus? Do you have a source?

Contradicting Trump, Fauci Doesn’t ‘See Us Eradicating’ Covid-19.
Reply With Quote
  #24927  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Olten
Posts: 633
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 501 Times in 295 Posts
hoover1 is considered knowledgeablehoover1 is considered knowledgeablehoover1 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

I knew there must been a reason why I didn't want to be part of this - time to correct that mistake .
Reply With Quote
  #24928  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,348
Groaned at 522 Times in 441 Posts
Thanked 20,351 Times in 10,712 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
First, I am not quite sure why you reference CH here as I make no reference to CH in particular so why are you referencing CH and voting?

And are you equating COVID with Smallpox? Think the fatality rates differ and then some:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebecca...h=20d59c3847a7
This is a Swiss forum!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #24929  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
This is a Swiss forum!
My comments were in general and did not refer to the Swiss Government Marton
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24930  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
SARS was also from a coronavirus. It has been eradicated.

It's 2%. If the whole population of 7.8B is infected with the same case-fatality ratio, 140 millions will perish. Shouldn't we be careful?

Can I say the same thing about the law against drinking and driving?

I agree
Hmm... your 2% figure I think is conflated as those who died with COVID as opposed to those who died from COVID.

And the long-term effects of lockdowns? Have you analyzed that? Tough to call since that will take time to assess... I sense that the long-term consequences on youth and the populace at large not good from a mental health and economic perspective.

As to your drinking/driving comment... Not sure how much relevance that has here. What about the abortion debate? Each woman is entitled to make her choice - her body/her choice. That to me is more relevant/applicable regarding the vaccine uptake.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #24931  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Olten
Posts: 633
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 501 Times in 295 Posts
hoover1 is considered knowledgeablehoover1 is considered knowledgeablehoover1 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
First, I am not quite sure why you reference CH here as I make no reference to CH in particular so why are you referencing CH and voting?

And are you equating COVID with Smallpox? Think the fatality rates differ and then some:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebecca...h=20d59c3847a7
- it's Swiss forum
- this thread is under Living in Switzerland

- I never mentioned COVID - i just gave you example of virus eradication in recent history
- I never mention anything about fatality rate


Perhaps you attribute to me someones else comments or words - which I won't accept !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hoover1 for this useful post:
  #24932  
Old 06.05.2021, 00:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Thun
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 33 Posts
Limestone is considered knowledgeableLimestone is considered knowledgeableLimestone is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Hmm... your 2% figure I think is conflated as those who died with COVID as opposed to those who died from COVID.

And the long-term effects of lockdowns? Have you analyzed that? Tough to call since that will take time to assess... I sense that the long-term consequences on youth and the populace at large not good from a mental health and economic perspective.

As to your drinking/driving comment... Not sure how much relevance that has here. What about the abortion debate? Each woman is entitled to make her choice - her body/her choice. That to me is more relevant/applicable regarding the vaccine uptake.

Regarding the fatality, I took the official data. It might not be very precise, but is certainly closer to reality than your assumption of a value 100 times lower.


About the lockdown, I totally agree that it is tough for the whole population. However, if we let the virus run free, wouldn't it also be very tough as well? While Sweden admittedly seems to be doing well, others such as Brazil, India and also US are /were in dire situations. I'm not sure anyone can tell where the balance is.


Regarding my comparison between vaccination and drinking and driving, I think it's quite relevant. In both cases, your choice of what to take into your body might pose risks to others.
Reply With Quote
  #24933  
Old 06.05.2021, 01:00
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
......
Governments are in control of whether you vaccinate or not. Whatever happened to my body/my choice?.....
Quote:
View Post
Can I say the same thing about the law against drinking and driving?
No. Not comparable.
Drinking is free choice of what you insert.
Driving is something one can only do following the detailed laws in the traffic-law.

I also did not read terrifisch's post as Swiss related. She would be wrong with what's quoted above if she had as in Switzerland there are other laws which ensure personal choice for/against vaccine. They can not be overruled, not even by a covid-law.

I see no fault in each person having thoughts and taking their individual decision about the covid-vaccine (any actually). I'm no anti-vaxer but there are vaccine I have and keep updated and there are others I never took. Each of them deserves to be thought over and decided on.
There will be the social pressure of course (just watch EF applying it big time!!!) but succumbing to such pressure is never a healthy way to take any type of decision.
So which ever way each individual takes on this subject must be accredited.
__________________
It's all a matter or perspective.
So move your butt and look at it from the other side
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #24934  
Old 06.05.2021, 08:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 661
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,221 Times in 560 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I think Damian raises some valid points. Why are goalposts shifting exactly? We started with lockdowns and masks/social distancing to ensure hospitals were not overwhelmed. The point was to CONTAIN the virus and now? Governments want to eradicate the virus?

Explain how that works since we have never been able to eradicate the flu?

So we will have to wear a mask and socially distance for ad Infinitum because of so-called "variants"? And yet this so-called "pandemic"/"endemic" has a fatality rate of .02% of the general populace but we need to live in fear?

And even if one is vaccinated, one still has to wear a mask? Really?? Why get a vaccine then if masks and social distancing are still warranted for whatever reason governments deem appropriate. Therein lies the caveat...

Governments are in control of whether you vaccinate or not. Whatever happened to my body/my choice?

This is beyond nuts/crazy!

The risk for most under the age of 80 being hospitalized and/or death is negligible unless one has a co-morbidity.

Frankly, I don't get it.

PS... I am not an anti-vaxer. I have had all of my inoculations and plan to get the J&J vaccine when I am back in the US in June - for travel reasons as opposed to health reasons.
Agree on every point. Nobody remembers any more what the goals were in the beginning.

I am not an anti-vaxxer either, but I am not getting the vaccine. I have the antibody level over the upper limit of normal, and there is no way I am forced to get vaccinated on top of being immuned. I will rather get tested for travel and just wait until all of this calms down.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank leonie for this useful post:
  #24935  
Old 06.05.2021, 08:55
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I spoke to a few people recently who said that they will avoid taking the vaccine as long as possible. Their reasoning was that to most fit people Corona hardly does anything, so they don't see the point in taking it. Don't shoot the messenger!

My personal view is that Corona worshippers and Corona deniers are both batshit crazy
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #24936  
Old 06.05.2021, 09:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 661
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,221 Times in 560 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
My wife just found a huge lump under her armpit on the side she had her 2nd Moderna vaccine 15 days ago. Dr's Appointment booked for tomorrow.
Best wishes to your wife. How is she doing?
Reply With Quote
  #24937  
Old 06.05.2021, 09:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 786
Groaned at 55 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 933 Times in 436 Posts
vladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Which governments want to eradicate the virus? Do you have a source?
what jumps in immediately:
Germany with 0-Covid
NZ locking down on single case
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vladest for this useful post:
  #24938  
Old 06.05.2021, 09:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 786
Groaned at 55 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 933 Times in 436 Posts
vladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Regarding my comparison between vaccination and drinking and driving, I think it's quite relevant. In both cases, your choice of what to take into your body might pose risks to others.
fatality rate of drunk driving much higher then of catching covid
Reply With Quote
  #24939  
Old 06.05.2021, 09:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 786
Groaned at 55 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 933 Times in 436 Posts
vladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I have the antibody level over the upper limit of normal
btw, where I can do antibody tests with levels in reports around Zurich?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vladest for this useful post:
  #24940  
Old 06.05.2021, 10:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 661
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,221 Times in 560 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
btw, where I can do antibody tests with levels in reports around Zurich?
I don’t know.
Our company is organizing tests for employees. They tested everyone who wanted last summer, and now they follow up on those who tested positive or recovered from Covid.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 264 Yesterday 13:50
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 14:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 10:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 19:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 12:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0