Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #25261  
Old 11.05.2021, 20:23
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,632
Groaned at 80 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,197 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Possible. I think it is one of the questions where people tend to answer yes because that is considered the politically correct answer. Although I think the practical benefit of having some form of passport and not having to test all the time might win people over.
Reply With Quote
  #25262  
Old 11.05.2021, 20:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,206
Groaned at 44 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,453 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Possible. I think it is one of the questions where people tend to answer yes because that is considered the politically correct answer. Although I think the practical benefit of having some form of passport and not having to test all the time might win people over.
Theres going to be an interesting balancing act of not torturing the unvaccinated so much there's complaints we turn into a police state, but just enough all but the hard core give in and get their vaccination.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #25263  
Old 11.05.2021, 20:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,323
Groaned at 456 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 10,044 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Great news. You can see from the statistics that older people are still getting vaccinated in significant numbers each week even though they could should have been done by now. Evidently they are slowly coming round to the idea.
In my view, the reason that older people are still getting vaccinated is because of the extremely poor administration, at least in canton Zürich.
They did a good of vaccinating people in old people's homes but for the rest, unless you were computer literate and mentally alert there was no proper follow-up or proactive action to ensure older people had vaccination appointments.

In my case, a couple of months ago I received a flyer from the local Gemeinde that said "do nothing, wait for an invitation" and I have heard nothing since despite the fact I will be 80 next year.

Anyway solely thanks to my own initiative I had my second jab today, so far everything OK.
__________________
It is naive to assume my posts are my own work
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25264  
Old 11.05.2021, 20:33
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,323
Groaned at 456 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 10,044 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Possible. I think it is one of the questions where people tend to answer yes because that is considered the politically correct answer. Although I think the practical benefit of having some form of passport and not having to test all the time might win people over.
So why did the "yes's" rise from 64% to 80% in three weeks; people got more politically correct in that time?
Reply With Quote
  #25265  
Old 11.05.2021, 20:36
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,632
Groaned at 80 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,197 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
So why did the "yes's" rise from 64% to 80% in three weeks; people got more politically correct in that time?
Good question. There is much more talk about vaccinations now, so might be general awareness or indeed the feel that a jab is close. Let's hope for high share of people taking it, but looking at places like the US, France, SEE makes me doubt.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #25266  
Old 11.05.2021, 20:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,206
Groaned at 44 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,453 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
In my view, the reason that older people are still getting vaccinated is because of the extremely poor administration, at least in canton Zürich.
They did a good of vaccinating people in old people's homes but for the rest, unless you were computer literate and mentally alert there was no proper follow-up or proactive action to ensure older people had vaccination appointments.

In my case, a couple of months ago I received a flyer from the local Gemeinde that said "do nothing, wait for an invitation" and I have heard nothing since despite the fact I will be 80 next year.

Anyway solely thanks to my own initiative I had my second jab today, so far everything OK.
Maybe not the best assumption to make that those most in need of a vaccination meet those criteria.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #25267  
Old 11.05.2021, 20:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,323
Groaned at 456 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 10,044 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Maybe not the best assumption to make that those most in need of a vaccination meet those criteria.
Of course, they do not meet those criteria which is why I said it is so disappointing that the authorities are not making better efforts to bring those that are not computer literate and mentally alert into the safe zone of vaccination.
Reply With Quote
  #25268  
Old 11.05.2021, 21:32
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,452
Groaned at 251 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 9,206 Times in 3,457 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
shouldn't you skip 2nd doze in case of previous infection?
I think that would depend on whether or not the person who once had Covid still has decent antibodies. Can't someone have had the virus a year or so ago but no longer have antibodies now?

I've never tested positive for Covid, but my doctor suggested last week that I get an antibodies test to know if I will need the second dose or not. (My antibodies 'score' was very low -- number 7 -- which, according to my doctor's office, means that I probably never had the virus). The antibodies test cost about 50 CHF.
Reply With Quote
  #25269  
Old 11.05.2021, 21:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
So why did the "yes's" rise from 64% to 80% in three weeks; people got more politically correct in that time?
I suspect the rapidly increasing number of people running around saying they’ve had the vaccine and no problems might have something to do with it.

There’s an article in the Tagi atm headlined “High vom Impfen” that illustrates this.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25270  
Old 11.05.2021, 21:40
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,452
Groaned at 251 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 9,206 Times in 3,457 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I just came across an article in The Local. It looks like the easing of more restrictions is expected to be announced tomorrow (Wednesday).

https://www.thelocal.ch/20210511/wil...N3se1rNracw0nw

I guess some are expecting work-from-home orders to be lifted and for all restaurants to be allowed to open and also for people to no longer have to quarantine for 7 or 10 days after entering CH if they've been vaccinated or have had a prior Covid infection. It will be interesting to see what restrictions are actually eased. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing pools opened up soon (assuming the weather will ever improve ).
Reply With Quote
  #25271  
Old 11.05.2021, 22:12
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,606
Groaned at 438 Times in 329 Posts
Thanked 21,320 Times in 11,191 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I think that would depend on whether or not the person who once had Covid still has decent antibodies. Can't someone have had the virus a year or so ago but no longer have antibodies now?

I've never tested positive for Covid, but my doctor suggested last week that I get an antibodies test to know if I will need the second dose or not. (My antibodies 'score' was very low -- number 7 -- which, according to my doctor's office, means that I probably never had the virus). The antibodies test cost about 50 CHF.
Anything above 1 is considered positive for antibodies. My wife scored 0.09 IIRC.
Reply With Quote
  #25272  
Old 11.05.2021, 22:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 845
Groaned at 36 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 745 Times in 385 Posts
TinyK has earned the respect of manyTinyK has earned the respect of manyTinyK has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing pools opened up soon (assuming the weather will ever improve ).
Badis are opening already even with current restrictions. In some of them you even don't have to wear masks (except for WC, changing rooms etc).
Reply With Quote
  #25273  
Old 11.05.2021, 22:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 628
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,204 Times in 549 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Anything above 1 is considered positive for antibodies. My wife scored 0.09 IIRC.
Maybe this depends on the test? I was informed that the lower limit of normal is 0.4:

“ Thanks for participation in the SARS-CoV 2 antibody test. Your result ist still positive and has a quantitative value of > 250 U/ml (norm 0,4 - >250 U/ml).”
Reply With Quote
  #25274  
Old 11.05.2021, 22:38
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,813
Groaned at 208 Times in 184 Posts
Thanked 21,013 Times in 8,634 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Anything above 1 is considered positive for antibodies. My wife scored 0.09 IIRC.
It depends on which test is used and what units they’ve measured in.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #25275  
Old 11.05.2021, 22:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

What rhymes with "sick, dead and buried"? Welll, Anthony Fauci to the surprise of many...

I posted a very good article on the origins of COVID a few pages ago which also references Fauci :

https://science.thewire.in/the-scien...ple-or-nature/

If any of you have an interest in this virus, and how it started, this is a must-read.

As for poor old Fauci, here is another article (the first of many I assume if journalists are being responsible) citing his role in this pandemic.

https://spectator.us/topic/anthony-f...tute-virology/
Reply With Quote
  #25276  
Old 11.05.2021, 23:06
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,632
Groaned at 80 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,197 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What rhymes with "sick, dead and buried"? Welll, Anthony Fauci to the surprise of many...

I posted a very good article on the origins of COVID a few pages ago which also references Fauci :

https://science.thewire.in/the-scien...ple-or-nature/

If any of you have an interest in this virus, and how it started, this is a must-read.

As for poor old Fauci, here is another article (the first of many I assume if journalists are being responsible) citing his role in this pandemic.

https://spectator.us/topic/anthony-f...tute-virology/
Qlever
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #25277  
Old 11.05.2021, 23:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,323
Groaned at 456 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 10,044 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What rhymes with "sick, dead and buried"? Welll, Anthony Fauci to the surprise of many...

I posted a very good article on the origins of COVID a few pages ago which also references Fauci :

https://science.thewire.in/the-scien...ple-or-nature/

If any of you have an interest in this virus, and how it started, this is a must-read.

As for poor old Fauci, here is another article (the first of many I assume if journalists are being responsible) citing his role in this pandemic.

https://spectator.us/topic/anthony-f...tute-virology/
These articles contain a number of loosely linked guesses but no facts to support their anti-Fauci claims, they also ignore the large body of recent research on the origins of this virus.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #25278  
Old 11.05.2021, 23:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 75
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 29 Posts
LakeSwimmer has made some interesting contributions
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Sorry...busy day here I am so curious about your comment Baboon ..namely "it is our social obligation to get vaccinated for those who cannot do so."

So are you morally shaming others who are uncertain about taking the vaccine? This is an accelerated vaccine and no one knows the ramifications regarding long-term consequences/effects. What if one has an autoimmune response 5-10 years down the road? What about if one gets cancer?

That may seem like an outside risk but consider the risk of a HEALTHY person under the age of 50, having a complication from COVID. It is remote and slim; the chances of dying in a car accident are higher (at least in the US).

As for younger people, can you give me a statistic regarding what % of younger people under the age of 21 require hospitalization and die from COVID? Compare that to the number of those under the age of 21 who perish from reckless driving? (No idea about these stats in Europe but in the US they are very high!)

Life has risks no doubt about it. But why are governments trying to reduce the COVID risk to zero, when fatalities occur in a very small portion of the population (elderly and those with co-morbidities)?

Most who contract Covid will recover; a very small minority will have to be hospitalized and an even smaller percentage will die (especially one year later as the medical community has developed better treatment methods).

So the COVID landscape versus one year ago has improved and then some. As I mentioned, I will get the vaccine, given my circumstance. But I do not "judge" others who choose not to get vaccinated for whatever reason. They have their reasons and I respect that.

Their body, their choice. I also think that herd immunity is closer than many think; many have either had COVID and/or others have a natural immunity to the disease.

Time will tell (I am an optimist by nature )
Pretty much the most reasoned narrative since I joined this forum.
It is (vaccine) a personal choice and for many healthy <40yrs there is a risk r both options.

For me , and to say I am not a conspiracy /anti vaxx etc, I am continually questioning why no data is available for that demographic , with pre existing medical conditions.

I obviously cannot claim (as denied data ) figures but, I’m thinking only single digit fatalities in UK for this group. Switzerland also.
Reply With Quote
  #25279  
Old 12.05.2021, 00:15
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,323
Groaned at 456 Times in 392 Posts
Thanked 19,009 Times in 10,044 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Pretty much the most reasoned narrative since I joined this forum.
It is (vaccine) a personal choice and for many healthy <40yrs there is a risk r both options.

For me , and to say I am not a conspiracy /anti vaxx etc, I am continually questioning why no data is available for that demographic , with pre existing medical conditions.

I obviously cannot claim (as denied data ) figures but, I’m thinking only single digit fatalities in UK for this group. Switzerland also.
Just because you have not found the data does not mean it is denied, there is plenty of data around. Here, from the US
Reply With Quote
  #25280  
Old 12.05.2021, 00:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 75
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 29 Posts
LakeSwimmer has made some interesting contributions
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Just because you have not found the data does not mean it is denied, there is plenty of data around. Here, from the US

Actually a fairly comprehensive set of data.

But No data stating fatalities ,per age group with NO pre existing medical conditions.

Denied is perhaps the wrong word. Not published anywhere, for any country.. is better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (0 members and 10 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 195 12.06.2021 11:06
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 13:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 09:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 18:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 11:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0