Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #27141  
Old 07.07.2021, 22:51
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,900
Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,074 Times in 3,802 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That is the issue. Correlation does not equal causation. You can take VitD, I think there is no harm, but I have arrived at the conclusion that it very likely is also no help.
Yeah, maybe it depends on each individual. My doctor told me that it's very important that I try to maintain proper vitamin D levels because I have asthma and so it's especially important because of the virus/pandemic. My vit D score has been so low before that she said my immune system was probably compromised because of it.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #27142  
Old 07.07.2021, 22:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 2,243
Groaned at 113 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,649 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, maybe it depends on each individual. My doctor told me that it's very important that I try to maintain proper vitamin D levels because I have asthma and so it's especially important because of the virus/pandemic. My vit D score has been so low before that she said my immune system was probably compromised because of it.
Probably makes sense, independent of Covid. I have to say that my confidence in GP's advise re Covid has been weakened considerably. I know several cases where someone's GP (incl my own) is advising against Covid vaccination, and the arguments are weak. The sorts of "we don't know enough, why don't you take some natural, homoepathic pills in the mean time". Which is great advise as long as you don't get sick.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #27143  
Old 07.07.2021, 23:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Probably makes sense, independent of Covid. I have to say that my confidence in GP's advise re Covid has been weakened considerably. I know several cases where someone's GP (incl my own) is advising against Covid vaccination, and the arguments are weak. The sorts of "we don't know enough, why don't you take some natural, homoepathic pills in the mean time". Which is great advise as long as you don't get sick.
My opinion of GPs was already at rock bottom. I'm sure there are some decent ones but most of them are completely useless other than as a way to get access to a specialist. Their assessment of my condition has been dire.

At least the ones advising against the jab have clearly advertised their total lack of competence.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #27144  
Old 08.07.2021, 00:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,533
Groaned at 21 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 3,171 Times in 1,668 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What is left to open up? Other than masks.
Tourism, borders, I still find it very restrictive.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank runningdeer for this useful post:
  #27145  
Old 08.07.2021, 01:12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 445
Groaned at 48 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,002 Times in 498 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Should we criminalise those who don't play by the rules - singling out the who's to know & who's going to tell them brigade ?

Three questions ?

Namely should governments together with the mobile phone providers be actively seeking out those people who don't
download and install their host nations Contact & trace Covid App or have a habit of not carrying their mobile with
the said Mobile App on them at all times; namely they left it at home before going shopping without it or left it in
the car upon reaching their destination, etc, etc.

Should nations spy on the movements and activities of all those who have a mobile phone or even legislate
the compulsory need to possess and carry a mobile phone at all times, using the Covid-19 pandemic as a 'needs must'
example where such legistlation is implemented & brought into law for the common good of the people.

Would you ever envisage a time where it would become law for people to own a mobile & be fined if stopped on
the street or questioned at a Police road block - if the said person is found to be out & about but not carrying
his or her mobile phone upon them at all times ?
__________________
Surely the time has come for Boris to 'circle the wagons' for a bit of herd immunity ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #27146  
Old 08.07.2021, 02:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,388
Groaned at 499 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 12,479 Times in 6,476 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
So infuriating how almost no controls were made when it was first discovered and now here we are, just when we should be getting on with things.
Switzerland is merely following Texas' lead, the state you keep comparing Switzerland to.

I guess I never told you, but after your repeated complaints I advised the federal council to cut some corners and take the direct route.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
The following 5 users groan at Urs Max for this post:
  #27147  
Old 08.07.2021, 07:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,893
Groaned at 330 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 3,774 Times in 1,348 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
What were they supposed to do though? Viruses gonna virus. Much of the EU closed borders with the UK which was basically pointless. Delta was already on the continent and all it’s taken is time for it to dominate.

Ultimately this is why it’s looking as if we finally may be at the end of the cycle of lockdown restrictions as governments grasp that it’s unlikely to get much better than the situation that we have now. Vaccines help but aren’t as effective as many believe, variants are always going to be around, Covid is always going to be around. Time to learn to live with it.
Closing to UK was pointless ... controls form the origin, India, should have been done much much earlier. In an earlier post of mine back when it was first discovered, I posted an article highlighting how at Heathrow travelers from India were crammed in with all other travelers.

I get virus is going to virus, but we could have slowed it down substantially to the point where more people were vaccinated. I also believe we have to learn to live with it, but shouldn’t just allow a free for all and chaos to ensue.
Reply With Quote
  #27148  
Old 08.07.2021, 07:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,893
Groaned at 330 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 3,774 Times in 1,348 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is merely following Texas' lead, the state you keep comparing Switzerland to.

I guess I never told you, but after your repeated complaints I advised the federal council to cut some corners and take the direct route.
lol UrsMax, what’s your problem my dear? I’ve never compared Switzerland to Texas - as if I ever could.

As I’ve said before, it would nice if some of the Swiss could understand that immigrants will never forget their experiences or origins & talking about them doesn’t mean we want to live elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #27149  
Old 08.07.2021, 12:42
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 603
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 1,159 Times in 357 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Tourism, borders, I still find it very restrictive.
EU has just approved CH's Covid certification as from tomorrow (as predicted). (20 Minutes ticker). According to the report PCR testing is currently pretty much booked out ... not really surprising with this awful weather. Hopefully this will make life easier and cheaper.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #27150  
Old 08.07.2021, 13:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,214
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,198 Times in 829 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Todays published numbers 268 out of 23 k tests

0 (33*) hospitalisations
0 (3*) death

*Adjusted numbers from previous days

https://www.20min.ch/story/das-ist-d...z-136662375229

Compared to last thursday 172 out 8f 22 k tests

19 (1*) hospitalisations
5 (2*) death

* Adjusted numbers from previous days
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sigh for this useful post:
  #27151  
Old 08.07.2021, 14:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 1,029
Groaned at 39 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 962 Times in 476 Posts
TinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Weeks average is +89%. Almost doubled.
Reply With Quote
  #27152  
Old 08.07.2021, 14:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,141
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,054 Times in 10,569 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Weeks average is +89%. Almost doubled.
Bülach hospital just announced that for the first time in over a year they have no coronavirus patients, hope this is not the calm before the storm
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #27153  
Old 08.07.2021, 14:45
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,134
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,120 Times in 6,572 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Cases have gone up in the Netherlands as apparently people have been sharing their codes to go and party..... in Jedburgh (Scotland) 3 pubs and 1 restaurant have closed as several people were infected who went to Wembley to watch soccer.


There may be less hospitalization, but still......
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #27154  
Old 08.07.2021, 15:24
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,900
Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,074 Times in 3,802 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

If the numbers continue to climb (and I expect they will), I can't decide if we should cancel our camping trip next month. It's for one week in Ticino, at a huge campground that will be completely full (the website is showing that it has no more spaces available for the dates we'll be there). We'll be staying in a tent, which means we'll have to use the shared bathrooms, showers, etc. and also will be sharing a crowded pool.

I've been fully vaccinated and my husband will be by then as well. But I know that doesn't mean that we can't still get the virus, and as far as I know, it also doesn't really 100% guarantee that I couldn't become very sick if I do get it (I'm high-risk due to asthma).

I'm curious what others here would do in my situation. I don't want any arguments about it or anything. It's just that I really can't make up my mind. I was really looking forward to this trip, as are my husband and our son. But a big part of my intuition is telling me that it's "better to be safe than sorry," I guess.

How likely is it, do you think, that it is for someone with asthma who has been fully vaxxed to become quite ill if they catch the Covid virus?
Reply With Quote
  #27155  
Old 08.07.2021, 15:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,388
Groaned at 499 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 12,479 Times in 6,476 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
lol UrsMax, what’s your problem my dear? I’ve never compared Switzerland to Texas - as if I ever could.
You know that's not true. "they'd never be allowed to behave like that in the country I come from, they'd get the crap beaten out of them" or something similar is the instance I called you out for, and that's far from the only time.
Quote:
View Post
As I’ve said before, it would nice if some of the Swiss could understand that immigrants will never forget their experiences or origins & talking about them doesn’t mean we want to live elsewhere.
That's an entirely different thing. I guess you miss the BBQs, and that's Ok. It's an entirely different thing however to pick some some arbitrary, and rather irrelevant, details and compared those to "where I come from" and claim that it's handled far better "there", as if that had even the slightest relevance. It doesn't.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Urs Max for this post:
  #27156  
Old 08.07.2021, 15:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
If the numbers continue to climb (and I expect they will), I can't decide if we should cancel our camping trip next month. It's for one week in Ticino, at a huge campground that will be completely full (the website is showing that it has no more spaces available for the dates we'll be there). We'll be staying in a tent, which means we'll have to use the shared bathrooms, showers, etc. and also will be sharing a crowded pool.

I've been fully vaccinated and my husband will be by then as well. But I know that doesn't mean that we can't still get the virus, and as far as I know, it also doesn't really 100% guarantee that I couldn't become very sick if I do get it (I'm high-risk due to asthma).

I'm curious what others here would do in my situation. I don't want any arguments about it or anything. It's just that I really can't make up my mind. I was really looking forward to this trip, as are my husband and our son. But a big part of my intuition is telling me that it's "better to be safe than sorry," I guess.

How likely is it, do you think, that it is for someone with asthma who has been fully vaxxed to become quite ill if they catch the Covid virus?
Its your decision but I think if you cancel this (largely outdoor) activity you'll never be doing anything again. There are never any guarantees but it's really unlikely you will be hospitalised.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #27157  
Old 08.07.2021, 15:44
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,110
Groaned at 554 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 23,904 Times in 9,653 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
If the numbers continue to climb (and I expect they will), I can't decide if we should cancel our camping trip next month. It's for one week in Ticino, at a huge campground that will be completely full (the website is showing that it has no more spaces available for the dates we'll be there). We'll be staying in a tent, which means we'll have to use the shared bathrooms, showers, etc. and also will be sharing a crowded pool.

I've been fully vaccinated and my husband will be by then as well. But I know that doesn't mean that we can't still get the virus, and as far as I know, it also doesn't really 100% guarantee that I couldn't become very sick if I do get it (I'm high-risk due to asthma).

I'm curious what others here would do in my situation. I don't want any arguments about it or anything. It's just that I really can't make up my mind. I was really looking forward to this trip, as are my husband and our son. But a big part of my intuition is telling me that it's "better to be safe than sorry," I guess.
I've been to some full campsites in the pandemic and it's been surprisingly easy to keep apart from other people.

Anyone staying in a cabin/caravan or motorhome seems to be using their own cramped bathrooms rather than the more spacious communal ones and the loos/showers have not been crowded at all - in fact the opposite.
Every campsite has also employed full time cleaning staff so all the shared facilities have been spotless.

You could avoid using the pool and swim in the lakes or numerous rivers like we did.

I wouldn't worry.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #27158  
Old 08.07.2021, 16:00
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,900
Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,074 Times in 3,802 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Thanks, guys. 🙂 I am starting to feel a bit less worried now. I think I'll still wait and see what the #s are doing then, but it looks like we may very well still be able to go. So thank you again for your input on that! 🙂
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #27159  
Old 08.07.2021, 16:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,893
Groaned at 330 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 3,774 Times in 1,348 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You know that's not true. "they'd never be allowed to behave like that in the country I come from, they'd get the crap beaten out of them" or something similar is the instance I called you out for, and that's far from the only time.

That's an entirely different thing. I guess you miss the BBQs, and that's Ok. It's an entirely different thing however to pick some some arbitrary, and rather irrelevant, details and compared those to "where I come from" and claim that it's handled far better "there", as if that had even the slightest relevance. It doesn't.
I’m sorry it is such a struggle for you to comprehend simple comments made ages ago, blow things completely out of proportion and have the inability to let things go. Must be a painful existence for you, take care.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #27160  
Old 08.07.2021, 16:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I’m sorry it is such a struggle for you to comprehend simple comments made ages ago, blow things completely out of proportion and have the inability to let things go. Must be a painful existence for you, take care.
Never ever pick a fight with a Texan.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 14 (0 members and 14 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 258 19.10.2021 05:45
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 13:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 09:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 18:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 11:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0