Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5301  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:21
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

Is this 'Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause' a recommendation or an obligation? It is not clear to me the enforcement action of it.

May police stop you on the street and fine you if you are simply having a stroll?
It's a recommendation.
Reply With Quote
  #5302  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:26
gaburko's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BL
Posts: 1,091
Groaned at 164 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

Is this 'Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause' a recommendation or an obligation? It is not clear to me the enforcement action of it.

May police stop you on the street and fine you if you are simply having a stroll?
No, but a few of the EF forum members would shame you for doing it, so by all means stay sane and have a stroll, but don't mention it here
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank gaburko for this useful post:
  #5303  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:28
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,510
Groaned at 407 Times in 271 Posts
Thanked 17,671 Times in 5,452 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause

Quote:
View Post
No, but a few of the EF forum members would shame you for doing it, so by all means stay sane and have a stroll, but don't mention it here
This!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #5304  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:35
John_H
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

Is this 'Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause' a recommendation or an obligation? It is not clear to me the enforcement action of it.

May police stop you on the street and fine you if you are simply having a stroll?
We have a family stroll most days.. But we live in a small village quite high up, we don't see other people walking through the fields and forest..

Common sense .. We're still not under mandatory confinement but mixing with other people would be silly..
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5305  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:38
Pixie B's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SZ
Posts: 1,037
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 842 Times in 348 Posts
Pixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Don't know if this has been posted already, it's not peer reviewed yet; but could explain why this is being spread by unwittingly infectious asymptomatic people. Blood group O is the most common.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v1
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pixie B for this useful post:
  #5306  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:39
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

Is this 'Bleiben Sie jetzt zuhause' a recommendation or an obligation? It is not clear to me the enforcement action of it.

May police stop you on the street and fine you if you are simply having a stroll?
If they think you are loitering with intent then yes they will stop you
Reply With Quote
  #5307  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:45
Capitan Harlock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 116
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Capitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

So reading the news this morning:
- Switzerland has the highest number of cases per million inhabitants more than Italy and Spain (https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/)
- Switzerland ICU is going to collapse next week: https://www.rts.ch/info/11199610-le-...-1585290010417

IDK what they are waiting for to impose a stricter quarantine. Here in Geneva we have one of the worst situations and still too many people on the streets (from what I see from my window as I'm only going to the Coop once a week).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capitan Harlock for this useful post:
  #5308  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:56
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,970
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
So reading the news this morning:
- Switzerland has the highest number of cases per million inhabitants more than Italy and Spain (https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/)
- Switzerland ICU is going to collapse next week: https://www.rts.ch/info/11199610-le-...-1585290010417

IDK what they are waiting for to impose a stricter quarantine. Here in Geneva we have one of the worst situations and still too many people on the streets (from what I see from my window as I'm only going to the Coop once a week).
In Zürich its a ghost town . Only the "workers " are out and about. Otherwise the people really observe the quarantine very well
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #5309  
Old 27.03.2020, 09:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Same in Basel. Give or take a bit.
A lock down China style isn't going to make a difference.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #5310  
Old 27.03.2020, 10:17
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,270
Groaned at 241 Times in 202 Posts
Thanked 22,199 Times in 9,069 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
In Zürich its a ghost town . Only the "workers " are out and about. Otherwise the people really observe the quarantine very well
Quote:
View Post
Same in Basel. Give or take a bit.
A lock down China style isn't going to make a difference.
Same in Neuchâtel, everyone is adhering to the recommendations and staying home unless it’s absolutely necessary to be out.
Reply With Quote
  #5311  
Old 27.03.2020, 10:28
gaburko's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BL
Posts: 1,091
Groaned at 164 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Here in Geneva we have one of the worst situations and still too many people on the streets (from what I see from my window as I'm only going to the Coop once a week).
Seems like covid is impacting Latin speaking parts of the world stronger than Anglo-Saxon/Germanic ones
Reply With Quote
  #5312  
Old 27.03.2020, 10:38
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,641
Groaned at 124 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 16,984 Times in 5,391 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Seems like covid is impacting Latin speaking parts of the world stronger than Anglo-Saxon/Germanic ones
Sociologists must be having a field day, my guess is its to do with differing attitudes to the rules.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #5313  
Old 27.03.2020, 10:49
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,765
Groaned at 623 Times in 355 Posts
Thanked 4,175 Times in 1,769 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Seems like covid is impacting Latin speaking parts of the world stronger than Anglo-Saxon/Germanic ones
According to this gentleman, this is actually the case within Switzerland!

Quote:
A strange pattern has emerged in COVID-19 CFRs in Switzerland.
COVID-19 has been twice as likely to kill patients in French-speaking cantons of Switzerland than in German-speaking, and more than twice as likely to kill patients in Italian speaking cantons than in French ones.
https://twitter.com/TrevorSutcliffe/...98835036979200
Reply With Quote
  #5314  
Old 27.03.2020, 10:50
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,641
Groaned at 124 Times in 100 Posts
Thanked 16,984 Times in 5,391 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I've noticed a lot of inconsistency among the larger supermarkets (basically COOP and Migros) as to what are deemed essential items. So in Migros some electricals (plugs, fuses, sockets), toys, stationary are sealed away but you can buy tupperware, saucepans, cosmetics etc.. A few doors down in COOP land the kitchenware is off limits but you can buy garden toys (not general toys), some electrical items and stationary is fine.

Yes I do lead an exciting life
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #5315  
Old 27.03.2020, 11:15
Capitan Harlock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 116
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Capitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I've noticed a lot of inconsistency among the larger supermarkets (basically COOP and Migros) as to what are deemed essential items. So in Migros some electricals (plugs, fuses, sockets), toys, stationary are sealed away but you can buy tupperware, saucepans, cosmetics etc.. A few doors down in COOP land the kitchenware is off limits but you can buy garden toys (not general toys), some electrical items and stationary is fine.

Yes I do lead an exciting life
I went to Coop last monday and no limitations on anything. Instead the nearby Migros closed the clothes section.

I have a 4 months old baby, we have some clothes for 6-9 months but we lack something. Ordering online now is impossible and if we can't buy in store we don't know how to manage.

Luckly I was able to stockpile enough diapers size 3 and 4 before the crisis. At least we won't drown in shit
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capitan Harlock for this useful post:
  #5316  
Old 27.03.2020, 11:17
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,153
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 588 Times in 366 Posts
BLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond reputeBLP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I've noticed a lot of inconsistency among the larger supermarkets (basically COOP and Migros) as to what are deemed essential items. So in Migros some electricals (plugs, fuses, sockets), toys, stationary are sealed away but you can buy tupperware, saucepans, cosmetics etc.. A few doors down in COOP land the kitchenware is off limits but you can buy garden toys (not general toys), some electrical items and stationary is fine.

Yes I do lead an exciting life
here at Migros, it's interesting too, Tupperware is OK, cosmetics I guess is OK as it's mixed with first aid and to move the 2 sections may be too time-consuming? half of the easter stuff is tapped off, the other half not. Seems almost no reasoning behind it and people are always getting so close too when I go, annoying!
Reply With Quote
  #5317  
Old 27.03.2020, 11:20
John_H
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I've noticed a lot of inconsistency among the larger supermarkets (basically COOP and Migros) as to what are deemed essential items. So in Migros some electricals (plugs, fuses, sockets), toys, stationary are sealed away but you can buy tupperware, saucepans, cosmetics etc.. A few doors down in COOP land the kitchenware is off limits but you can buy garden toys (not general toys), some electrical items and stationary is fine.

Yes I do lead an exciting life
Our Nespresso machine broke on Tuesday.. I went to my local COOP and that area was all taped off..

The guy nearby stocking the shelves agreed that it was a necessity so I should go ahead and help myself behind the taped off area.. Same for printer paper and a stapler.

I think these are guidelines .. not to be abused, common sense..
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5318  
Old 27.03.2020, 11:22
Capitan Harlock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 116
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Capitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeableCapitan Harlock is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
In Zürich its a ghost town . Only the "workers " are out and about. Otherwise the people really observe the quarantine very well
Quote:
View Post
Same in Basel. Give or take a bit.
A lock down China style isn't going to make a difference.
Quote:
View Post
Same in Neuchâtel, everyone is adhering to the recommendations and staying home unless it’s absolutely necessary to be out.
Quote:
View Post
Seems like covid is impacting Latin speaking parts of the world stronger than Anglo-Saxon/Germanic ones
Quote:
View Post
Sociologists must be having a field day, my guess is its to do with differing attitudes to the rules.
I live in one of the Grandes Communes and since last week the number of people around has greatly decreased. Kids no longer play in the courtyard (except this poor dad with 3 boys who lives in a two-bedroom apartment that has all my compassion). However there are still some cars going around (and I live in a dormitory-city, not many businesses to justify this traffic) and still people walking around. I might have a biased view as if you need to go to Migros or Coop you have to pass near my building so maybe that's why I see more "movement".

Sometimes I would like to scream from my balcony "Rentrez chez vous!" like an old crazy person
Reply With Quote
  #5319  
Old 27.03.2020, 11:32
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 14,151
Groaned at 254 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 21,001 Times in 8,534 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Oh the mask does not protect fully, no doubt. But it protects some and it avoids that your sneeze launches an 8 meters long beam of droplets through a full tram.
And you sit there with green snot leaking down your face...

Quote:
View Post
Don't know if this has been posted already, it's not peer reviewed yet; but could explain why this is being spread by unwittingly infectious asymptomatic people. Blood group O is the most common.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v1
Group A more susceptible than group O. Oh poo.

Quote:
View Post
Our Nespresso machine broke on Tuesday.. I went to my local COOP and that area was all taped off..

The guy nearby stocking the shelves agreed that it was a necessity so I should go ahead and help myself behind the taped off area.. Same for printer paper and a stapler.

I think these are guidelines .. not to be abused, common sense..
You would probably get all those things cheaper online.
Reply With Quote
  #5320  
Old 27.03.2020, 11:36
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,021
Groaned at 65 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 2,908 Times in 1,544 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Seems strange to me, according to Wikipedia, that from one Italian returning back home from China all of Italy and neighboring countries got infected in a matter of weeks. Could it not be that the virus was lingering around months before hand in a dormant state?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 9 (0 members and 9 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 267 Yesterday 18:42
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 14:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 10:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 19:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 12:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0