Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7621  
Old 17.04.2020, 19:48
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,670
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,680 Times in 7,940 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
On 28 Feb, the council were very specific in their televised press conference that the powers they were taking were setting the minimum requirements for all cantons. Chur immediately limited gatherings to 50 people and nothing was said.

Some Swiss regions have banned even small gatherings. The town of Chur in the eastern canton of Graubünden has banned gatherings of 50 or more people, with a few exceptions such as restaurants, funerals, political meetings, art galleries and other public places, according to RTS. https://lenews.ch/2020/03/02/some-de...ring-in-basel/
That's news from 28 Feb and 2 March. The Federal Council declared an extraordinary situation under the Epidemics Act on 16 March:
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...-id-78454.html

From the link: "This allows the Federal Council to order the introduction of uniform measures in all cantons. The cantons were given prior notice of the move."

Edit - Here is the fact sheet (in German, probably can be found in French and Italian too) on the Epidemics Act:
https://www.bag.admin.ch/dam/bag/de/...et%20EpG_d.pdf

Last edited by 3Wishes; 17.04.2020 at 19:57. Reason: added Epidemics Act
Reply With Quote
  #7622  
Old 17.04.2020, 19:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
On 28 Feb, the council were very specific in their televised press conference that the powers they were taking were setting the minimum requirements for all cantons. Chur immediately limited gatherings to 50 people and nothing was said.

Some Swiss regions have banned even small gatherings. The town of Chur in the eastern canton of Graubünden has banned gatherings of 50 or more people, with a few exceptions such as restaurants, funerals, political meetings, art galleries and other public places, according to RTS. https://lenews.ch/2020/03/02/some-de...ring-in-basel/
I'm extremely thankful that Switzerland reacted so quickly in shutting down events. This saved so many lives, and avoided weeks more lockdown. Compare this to the inaction in certain other countries for weeks in allowing big events to go on. Baselfasnacht was less than a week after the first case. Massive false economy in allowing behaviour that results in an infection rate of >1.

Last edited by jorido; 17.04.2020 at 20:08.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7623  
Old 17.04.2020, 19:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

The Cheltenham Horse racing event and Rugby world cup, in the UK, had many many 1000s packed close together- they should have never been allowed to go ahead. And flights returning from abroad, including from high risk areas- are still not checked, and clear instructions to isolate for 2 weeks. Madness.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7624  
Old 17.04.2020, 20:32
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,503
Groaned at 192 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 18,026 Times in 7,343 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Woohoo. Non-urgent surgery allowed from the 27th. My cataract surgery is now scheduled for the 28th!

To be able to see again!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #7625  
Old 17.04.2020, 20:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
The Cheltenham Horse racing event and Rugby world cup, in the UK, had many many 1000s packed close together- they should have never been allowed to go ahead. And flights returning from abroad, including from high risk areas- are still not checked, and clear instructions to isolate for 2 weeks. Madness.
That's because then Boris was on Plan A Herd Immunity before, presumably, it was pointed out that the odds were not ever in his favour... and he bottled it and changed tack.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7626  
Old 17.04.2020, 20:51
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,885
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,599 Times in 4,675 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post

From the link: "This allows the Federal Council to order the introduction of uniform measures in all cantons. The cantons were given prior notice of the move."
This is what I was referring to...

This enables the Federal Council, in consultation with the cantons, to order measures that are normally the responsibility of the cantons.The Federal Council is banning public and private events in Switzerland at which more than 1000 people would gather. This ban on events comes into immediate effect and will apply at least until 15 March. The cantons are responsible for enforcing the ban.

In the case of public or private events at which fewer than 1000 people would gather, event organisers must carry out a risk assessment in conjunction with the competent cantonal authorities to decide whether or not the event can be held.
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...-id-78289.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #7627  
Old 17.04.2020, 20:52
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,043
Groaned at 155 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 7,065 Times in 3,244 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I've got a medical condition linked to an overactive immune system. Its caused me a lot of discomfort at times over the years, but I'm hoping its protective in these situations! There's been some studies showing a lower risk of certain types of cancer for people with my condition.
Check with your doctor but probably the reverse. The main issue with Coronavirus stems from the immune system overreacting.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #7628  
Old 17.04.2020, 20:54
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 3,885
Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,599 Times in 4,675 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
That's because then Boris was on Plan A Herd Immunity before, presumably, it was pointed out that the odds were not ever in his favour... and he bottled it and changed tack.
Agreed, but there's still on average, 15k passengers flying into the UK every day with no checks or instructions.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #7629  
Old 17.04.2020, 20:57
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,043
Groaned at 155 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 7,065 Times in 3,244 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
For herd immunity to kick in, something like 90% of the population has to have it, recover and generate antibodies. That's a lot of potential deaths. But I guess it's the "potential " that is making folk keen to break lockdown.
For Coronavirus more like 60% to 80% I read. But given the best estimate of the number infected in Switzerland so far is about 3% rather a long way to go.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #7630  
Old 17.04.2020, 21:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Yes, there are always ways to maintain contact even if it is from a safe distance.
My sister in law in the UK has been doing the same thing.
She looks out of her bedroom window and her grandson chats to her from the garden below, has a kick about with his dad etc.

Not possible with my two in Surrey- but thank goodness for Zoom, Facetime and Skype. But it is very hard not to know when we will be able to visit. Good job we went for Christmas and they here to ski at half-term.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7631  
Old 17.04.2020, 21:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Not possible with my two in Surrey- but thank goodness for Zoom, Facetime and Skype. But it is very hard not to know when we will be able to visit. Good job we went for Christmas and they here to ski at half-term.
I know exactly how you feel. My (first) baby girl is in Newcastle, and I'm missing months of her first year of life. She is with (first time) grandma and grandad though - and that is very special for them, which makes up for it to a certain extent.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7632  
Old 17.04.2020, 21:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Agreed, but there's still on average, 15k passengers flying into the UK every day with no checks or instructions.
TBF its probably only worth checking when you've got local numbers down. The numbers coming in with the virus will be de minimis compared to the number of people in the uk who have it.

Last edited by jorido; 17.04.2020 at 22:09.
Reply With Quote
  #7633  
Old 17.04.2020, 21:16
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Well no Street Parade this year. Maybe they can do a virtual one on PC
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #7634  
Old 17.04.2020, 21:35
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,731
Groaned at 190 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 18,465 Times in 7,759 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Not possible with my two in Surrey- but thank goodness for Zoom, Facetime and Skype. But it is very hard not to know when we will be able to visit. Good job we went for Christmas and they here to ski at half-term.
I was thinking more about your elderly friend, it must be possible for him to come up with some sort of similar arrangement with his family.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #7635  
Old 17.04.2020, 21:38
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,670
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,680 Times in 7,940 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
This is what I was referring to...

This enables the Federal Council, in consultation with the cantons, to order measures that are normally the responsibility of the cantons.The Federal Council is banning public and private events in Switzerland at which more than 1000 people would gather. This ban on events comes into immediate effect and will apply at least until 15 March. The cantons are responsible for enforcing the ban.

In the case of public or private events at which fewer than 1000 people would gather, event organisers must carry out a risk assessment in conjunction with the competent cantonal authorities to decide whether or not the event can be held.
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...-id-78289.html
Yes, of course. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying the date of the info you have is February and the feds declared a higher level a few weeks later.

On 28 February, the feds declared the pandemic to be a "besondere Lage" or unique situation under the Epidemics Act. That's what you've linked in your post.

On 16 March, this was changed to "ausserordentliche Lage" or extraordinary situation under the Epidemics Act. That's what I linked in my post, along with the PDF.

There's a chart on page 2 of the PDF I linked above which shows who is responsible for what at each situation level.

My German isn't stellar so I admit I might not be reading it all correctly, and online translators are only so good. Maybe Mullhollander can come along and help!

However, my brother-in-law teaches law, and he says when such an extraordinary situation is declared, the cantons must follow the instructions of the Federal Council and can't make up their own rules for the people. They can make recommendations, such as that over 65s should stay inside, but they can't mandate it. Does Ticino or Chur have a mandate in place established after March 16?
Reply With Quote
  #7636  
Old 17.04.2020, 21:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Well no Street Parade this year. Maybe they can do a virtual one on PC
The organisers are more optimistic.

But a million people packed together of which many come from other countries, for once I'm on team Omtatsat and hope it does not happen no matter how much I like the street parade.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7637  
Old 17.04.2020, 22:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
The organisers are more optimistic.

But a million people packed together of which many come from other countries, for once I'm on team Omtatsat and hope it does not happen no matter how much I like the street parade.
No chance - surely?
Reply With Quote
  #7638  
Old 17.04.2020, 22:09
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will ( soon ) open the bathing areas in Zürich
Reply With Quote
  #7639  
Old 17.04.2020, 22:21
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,806
Groaned at 269 Times in 216 Posts
Thanked 18,069 Times in 7,278 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No chance - surely?
August is still four months away and the lockdown is being eased after one month. It's definitely possible that Street Parade could go on as planned.
Reply With Quote
  #7640  
Old 17.04.2020, 22:31
kngavl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bärn
Posts: 643
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 674 Times in 286 Posts
kngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

EPFL will begin to open on May 4th, while ETH will begin on April 27 but only for technical staff (machine critical operations).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (4 members and 1 guests)
bunnehroo, gaburko, MajorGrubert
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0