Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8721  
Old 02.05.2020, 15:31
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,009
Groaned at 474 Times in 379 Posts
Thanked 21,381 Times in 8,769 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Well I went there to buy a rivella. I was not there with a shopping wagen filled with 1000 goodies like everybody else.
I fill a trolley when I go - so I only need to do it once a week.

It's the idiots shopping everyday for one or two items - or even worse, making a special trip to buy something they don't need - like a bottle of soda, who are causing most of the problems - that's you by the way.

Honestly, you couldn't make up the stupidity of some people - that's you by the way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
This user groans at Tom1234 for this post:
  #8722  
Old 02.05.2020, 15:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Well I went there to buy a rivella. I was not there with a shopping wagen filled with 1000 goodies like everybody else. And the road to Jumbo ( I went by bus ) was completely blocked by cars wanting to park at Jumbo or elsewhere. There was even a fight going on between security people and a car driver.For sure 90% of these people could have shopped on another day. No wonder we have a virus problem in CH
Ah yes, going to the store for one item will make stores much less busy than shopping for a whole week at once.

You are so incredible dumb that medical world still has to invent a classification for it.
Reply With Quote
  #8723  
Old 02.05.2020, 15:58
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I fill a trolley when I go - so I only need to do it once a week.

It's the idiots shopping everyday for one or two items - or even worse, making a special trip to buy something they don't need - like a bottle of soda, who are causing most of the problems - that's you by the way.

Honestly, you couldn't make up the stupidity of some people - that's you by the way.
OK do it once a week. But it does not have to be a Saturday. Especially if one is not working! And nobody was there buying just a soda. They ALL had their wagons filled.
Oh and I forgot to say. When I saw ALL the people lined up to get in ( Migros ) I decided to go to Glatt instead and buy it at COOP.

Really. THe herd instinkt!
Reply With Quote
  #8724  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:01
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,702
Groaned at 77 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 17,737 Times in 7,967 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
How on earth will they get a true picture of the number of people that have been infected by Covid-19 ( and recovered from the virus ) unless the entire population are tested !
I'm not sure what percentage of the population needs to be tested in order to get a true picture. I don't think it has to be as high as 100%, because statisticians have models to extrapolate numbers to the population.

Maybe if we randomly test upwards of 50% of the population with some combination of live tests (those who are sick now) and antibody tests (those who were sick but recovered) we can get a pretty accurate picture? I say random because right now, most countries are only testing those with symptoms, so the numbers are naturally going to skew higher. Still, 50% is a huge goal number if you take a place like the USA. Maybe we can aim for 25% as a short-term goal? The Swiss have managed to test a bit more than 3%.

We also need to remember that the testing numbers can include multiple tests for one person. Many governments say the numbers aren't actual numbers of people tested, but the numbers of tests administered. Even in China we saw people test negative 3 times before testing positive. That's 4 tests for 1 person, not 4 persons tested.
Reply With Quote
  #8725  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,560
Groaned at 327 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 13,828 Times in 7,139 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I fill a trolley when I go - so I only need to do it once a week.

It's the idiots shopping everyday for one or two items - or even worse, making a special trip to buy something they don't need - like a bottle of soda, who are causing most of the problems - that's you by the way.

Honestly, you couldn't make up the stupidity of some people - that's you by the way.
OK, one soda is absolutely silly and I suspect Omi is provoking as usual, but on the other hand, if they have to buy few(er) items they spend there just a short time if they're quick, they are out quickly and I see the positive side of this too. I don't see why everyone should buy full shopping carts, it's even more annoying to me personally.
Perhaps I'm missing your point or we might just have to disagree on this one.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #8726  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
OK, one soda is absolutely silly and I suspect Omi is provoking as usual, but on the other hand, if they have to buy few(er) items they spend there just a short time if they're quick and I see the positive side of this too. I don't see why everyone should buy full wagons, it's even more annoying to me personally.
And as I said when I saw the masses of people there I decided to go elsewhere. They are irresponsible . Welcome to the second wave.
And whats wrong with going to a supermarket to buy a bottle of drink?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #8727  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,560
Groaned at 327 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 13,828 Times in 7,139 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
And as I said when I saw the masses of people there I decided to go elsewhere. They are irresponsible .
And whats wrong with going to a supermarket to buy a bottle of drink?
Not to me, if you're quick I'll be glad you're out quickly cause I don't want to hang around for too long anywhere now. But I can see their point too.
Reply With Quote
  #8728  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:12
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Not to me, if you're quick I'll be glad you're out quickly cause I don't want to hang around for too long anywhere now. But I can see their point too.
These shoppers cannot break habits- that being shopping on a Saturday! Especially when they dont have to.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #8729  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,560
Groaned at 327 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 13,828 Times in 7,139 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
These shoppers cannot break habits- that being shopping on a Saturday! Especially when they dont have to.
Agree.

Good thing you decided to go elsewhere. So you take everything seriously after all, as I suspected.

Ready for that vaccine, big boy?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #8730  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:24
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I fill a trolley when I go - so I only need to do it once a week.

It's the idiots shopping everyday for one or two items - or even worse, making a special trip to buy something they don't need - like a bottle of soda, who are causing most of the problems - that's you by the way.

Honestly, you couldn't make up the stupidity of some people - that's you by the way.
Actually I did not go there expressly to buy a Rivella. It was a toilet stop there en route to Jumbo in Dietlikon. So I thought I might as well get something to drink as I was thirsty! And Jumbo was overrun by the Saturday shoppers buying hundreds of plants.
Reply With Quote
  #8731  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 291
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 684 Times in 347 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure what percentage of the population needs to be tested in order to get a true picture. I don't think it has to be as high as 100%, because statisticians have models to extrapolate numbers to the population.

Maybe if we randomly test upwards of 50% of the population
with some combination of live tests (those who are sick now) and antibody tests (those who were sick but recovered) we can get a pretty accurate picture? I say random because right now, most countries are only testing those with symptoms, so the numbers are naturally going to skew higher. Still, 50% is a huge goal number if you take a place like the USA. Maybe we can aim for 25% as a short-term goal? The Swiss have managed to test a bit more than 3%.

We also need to remember that the testing numbers can include multiple tests for one person. Many governments say the numbers aren't actual numbers of people tested, but the numbers of tests administered. Even in China we saw people test negative 3 times before testing positive. That's 4 tests for 1 person, not 4 persons tested.
Of course random tests will give an estimate of the likely proportion of the population that might have
been infected by Covid-19 and how far it's spread I'm sure.

Although on saying that:
I still have my doubts about the Smartphone App, warning you if you have been in contact with people
who have had or are still capable of passing on the virus.
The result being that those that have been warned of Covid-19 encounters with infected or still
infectious people from the disease, must self-isolate for 14 days.

Therefore the real benefit ( as far as I can see at the moment ) in the App is by highlighting those
districts or areas of the countryside, city or town that have had a high concentration of Covid-19 cases.

As it will only be as accurate as the data available to the App & depends on people always carrying
their Smartphone wherever they go ( if they have one or for some, never got used to new fangled
mobiles )
__________________
Surely the time has come for Boris to 'circle the wagons' for a bit of herd immunity ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #8732  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:31
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Of course random tests will give an estimate of the likely proportion of the population that might have
been infected by Covid-19 and how far it's spread.

Although better than nothing:
I still have my doubts about the Smartphone App, warning you if you have been in contact with people
who have had or are still capable of passing on the virus.
The result being that those that have been warned of Covid-19 encounters with infected or still
infectious people from the disease, must self-isolate for 14 days.

Therefore the real benefit ( as far as I can see at the moment ) in the App is by highlighting those
districts or areas of the countryside, city or town that have had a high concentration of Covid-19 cases.

As it will only be as accurate as the data available to the App.
I have absolutely no doubts about the Tracing app. Google and Facebook are the first buyers!
Reply With Quote
  #8733  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure what percentage of the population needs to be tested in order to get a true picture. I don't think it has to be as high as 100%, because statisticians have models to extrapolate numbers to the population.

Maybe if we randomly test upwards of 50% of the population with some combination of live tests (those who are sick now) and antibody tests (those who were sick but recovered) we can get a pretty accurate picture? I say random because right now, most countries are only testing those with symptoms, so the numbers are naturally going to skew higher. Still, 50% is a huge goal number if you take a place like the USA. Maybe we can aim for 25% as a short-term goal? The Swiss have managed to test a bit more than 3%.
Testing to know how much of the populations had/has it does not even have to be close to 50% or even 25%, pick for example 100K people in one area like Zürich. Take the samples at the same day and that will give already very small margin of error in the extrapolation to the whole population of Zürich, testing 100K more will only half that already small margin.

Now taking in account the amount of hospitalisations and deaths from that area (don't forget the delay in hospitalisations/deaths and it isn't that hard to extrapolate towards other areas using their hospitalisations and their deaths, add some data like age distribution, average weight and such and the numbers will be accurate enough to work with for future plans.

Testing a whole population is nice for each individual person, as for statistics it is absolutely overkill.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8734  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:55
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Testing to know how much of the populations had/has it does not even have to be close to 50% or even 25%, pick for example 100K people in one area like Zürich. Take the samples at the same day and that will give already very small margin of error in the extrapolation to the whole population of Zürich, testing 100K more will only half that already small margin.

Now taking in account the amount of hospitalisations and deaths from that area (don't forget the delay in hospitalisations/deaths and it isn't that hard to extrapolate towards other areas using their hospitalisations and their deaths, add some data like age distribution, average weight and such and the numbers will be accurate enough to work with for future plans.

Testing a whole population is nice for each individual person, as for statistics it is absolutely overkill.
Was ich nicht weiß, macht mich nicht heiß!

What I do not know will not hurt me
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #8735  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:55
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,009
Groaned at 474 Times in 379 Posts
Thanked 21,381 Times in 8,769 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
OK, one soda is absolutely silly and I suspect Omi is provoking as usual, but on the other hand, if they have to buy few(er) items they spend there just a short time if they're quick, they are out quickly and I see the positive side of this too. I don't see why everyone should buy full shopping carts, it's even more annoying to me personally.
I don't think whether you are annoyed or not has got anything to do with it.

People are annoyed by the lock-down and the restrictions. So what?

Limiting the number of visits to a supermarket by a single person has got to be better for reducing the spreading of a virus to them, or from them.

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps I'm missing your point or we might just have to disagree on this one.
It's not really my point. Governments in other countries for example are imposing rules like this.
Reply With Quote
  #8736  
Old 02.05.2020, 16:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't think whether you are annoyed or not has got anything to do with it.

People are annoyed by the lock-down and the restrictions. So what?

Limiting the number of visits to a supermarket by a single person has got to be better for reducing the spreading of a virus to them, or from them.



It's not really my point. Governments in other countries for example are imposing rules like this.
But everybody going to the Supermarket on the same day is nonsense and sure does nothing to reduce the infection
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #8737  
Old 02.05.2020, 17:05
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,009
Groaned at 474 Times in 379 Posts
Thanked 21,381 Times in 8,769 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
But everybody going to the Supermarket on the same day is nonsense and sure does nothing to reduce the infection
I'm not arguing against that. But going to a shopping centre to buy a bottle of soda? Really?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #8738  
Old 02.05.2020, 17:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
How on earth will they get a true picture of the number of people that have been infected by Covid-19
( and recovered from the virus ) unless the entire population are tested !!
Extrapolation.
Reply With Quote
  #8739  
Old 02.05.2020, 17:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,560
Groaned at 327 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 13,828 Times in 7,139 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I don't think whether you are annoyed or not has got anything to do with it.

People are annoyed by the lock-down and the restrictions. So what?
.
I didn't say it does.
Reply With Quote
  #8740  
Old 02.05.2020, 17:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,560
Groaned at 327 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 13,828 Times in 7,139 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Testing a whole population is nice for each individual person, as for statistics it is absolutely overkill.
Not only for statistics - for public health budgets, production facilities, labs, medical staff etc etc etc. We don't have so many tests and we'll probably never will. Not even in Switzerland!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
baboon
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0