Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #9441  
Old 13.05.2020, 15:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,154
Groaned at 385 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 10,588 Times in 5,589 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
There's plenty of research that shows being unemployed increases your chance of death, whether by more of less than corona I have no idea, and I daresay there are contrary studies.

If there are millions unemployed, which there already are, then many avoidable deaths can be attributed to that.
What are you whining about again?

99% of those who keep their jobs survive. The unemployed or laid off have no one to blaim but themselves, they should have kept their employability high.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users groan at Urs Max for this post:
  #9442  
Old 13.05.2020, 15:34
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,776
Groaned at 80 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 17,995 Times in 8,060 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
... The unemployed or laid off have no one to blaim but themselves, they should have kept their employability high.
Are you joking? Millions of people who are currently unemployed due to Coronavirus are totally employable when the economy is going. They don't have "low employability".

When everyone is shut inside and almost all businesses are closed, a lot of jobs aren't needed. That's not the employees' fault. Businesses that are still open can't magically absorb those millions of unemployed. If you're trained as a hairdresser or have a restaurant and run your own business, you can't rock up to the hospital and offer to be a nurse while salons and restaurants are shut.
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #9443  
Old 13.05.2020, 15:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,773
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,148 Times in 7,291 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Are you joking? Millions of people who are currently unemployed due to Coronavirus are totally employable when the economy is going. They don't have "low employability".

When everyone is shut inside and almost all businesses are closed, a lot of jobs aren't needed. That's not the employees' fault. Businesses that are still open can't magically absorb those millions of unemployed. If you're trained as a hairdresser or have a restaurant and run your own business, you can't rock up to the hospital and offer to be a nurse while salons and restaurants are shut.
True, and that's why we have to keep the number of new infections manageable, exactly because people can't show up at the gate of the hospital and offer their services.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #9444  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:01
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

But its strange. One could never say fascist USA. Simply does not sound right. But EU states and CH YES!
Reply With Quote
  #9445  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,773
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,148 Times in 7,291 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Average TV/streaming watching statistics around the world indicate a lot of free time to buy and cook food at home.

Coming from a poor place, I can tell processed foods and fast food are marketed by producers and perceived by consumers as "luxuries". Only the poorest of the poor drink water from the faucet, the not so poor drink Coke to differentiate themselves from the bottom. Fast food is a luxury reward after a long day of work. Want to offer something special for a friend? Invite a work colleague to a fast food joint, something cooked at home will be perceived as being stingy or worst of all.....poor. Invite to a decent restaurant with healthy food and you'll be perceived as a baller that wants to show off....hey that beef and salad is for the rich.

Of course food deserts exist, but there are strong cultural norms and habits that contribute to people with enough income to afford good food to eat trash food.
That's interesting. Poor people behave more or less similarly, everywhere. But why is inviting people over perceived as being stingy? Back home is almost like a ritual. Poorer, middle class, we all enjoy dinners with friends at home. And we don't consider it poor, we're rather grateful that someone sacrificed their time for cooking for us.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #9446  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:09
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,930 Times in 800 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
But its strange. One could never say fascist USA. Simply does not sound right. But EU states and CH YES!
You do realise you can have this conversation in your head first, and then post about the it?

It's very possible to say fascist USA, communist Scandinavia and Anarchist Vanuatu. Doesn't mean you're right. Except about Vanuatu, mad lads down there.
Reply With Quote
  #9447  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:09
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That's interesting. Poor people behave more or less similarly, everywhere. But why is inviting people over perceived as being stingy? Back home is almost like a ritual. Poorer, middle class, we all enjoy dinners with friends at home. And we don't consider it poor, we're rather grateful that someone sacrificed their time for cooking for us.
Only if its well cooked. Otherwise I just pack up and leave
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #9448  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:11
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,084
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,930 Times in 800 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That's interesting. Poor people behave more or less similarly, everywhere. But why is inviting people over perceived as being stingy? Back home is almost like a ritual. Poorer, middle class, we all enjoy dinners with friends at home. And we don't consider it poor, we're rather grateful that someone sacrificed their time for cooking for us.
I've always felt that inviting someone into your home to cook for them has a much more personal feel to it than sitting in a restaurant. It might be that a eating out avoids showing other people how you live at home.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #9449  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:12
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You do realise you can have this conversation in your head first, and then post about the it?

It's very possible to say fascist USA, communist Scandinavia and Anarchist Vanuatu. Doesn't mean you're right. Except about Vanuatu, mad lads down there.
Some groups in USA definitely fascist. But a whole govt like here or elsewhere in EU no.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #9450  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:13
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,875
Groaned at 109 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,006 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I'm reading bits and pieces about bad things happening in DE in terms of infections rising fast after relaxing of lockdown..

Any detail on that? Since my German is crap.

I'm still wondering about my trip to DE in July.. Finger over the cancel button.
Reply With Quote
  #9451  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:16
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,520
Groaned at 353 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 12,759 Times in 6,075 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I'm reading bits and pieces about bad things happening in DE in terms of infections rising fast after relaxing of lockdown..

Any detail on that? Since my German is crap.

I'm still wondering about my trip to DE in July.. Finger over the cancel button.

Check the website of RKI or this link:


https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...4/page/page_1/


So far so good, no big increase but it is early days.


I wouldn´t yet cancel a trip in July. So far Swiss has "only" cancelled my flights to Germany in March, April and May, not June.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #9452  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:26
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,925
Groaned at 339 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 18,407 Times in 9,568 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
I've always felt that inviting someone into your home to cook for them has a much more personal feel to it than sitting in a restaurant.
I think it can work if you do not ask them to bring their own ingredients. Yes, that exists. I am also sure that there are people who cook at home to not have to invite people out, but whatever, this country is expensive. Generosity is an aquired skill.

I prefer cooking for people, it is more fun.

I would expect, though, that our old normal is getting replaced with the new normal, where old school socializing is giong to be affected. Gathering, BBQs, pot lucks, etc.

Quote:
View Post
Some groups in USA definitely fascist. But a whole govt like here or elsewhere in EU no.
What happened, omtatsat.

Quote:
View Post
Are you joking? Millions of people who are currently unemployed due to Coronavirus are totally employable when the economy is going. They don't have "low employability".

When everyone is shut inside and almost all businesses are closed, a lot of jobs aren't needed. That's not the employees' fault. Businesses that are still open can't magically absorb those millions of unemployed. If you're trained as a hairdresser or have a restaurant and run your own business, you can't rock up to the hospital and offer to be a nurse while salons and restaurants are shut.
It is pretty obvious that Urs meant it in general, not related to Covid19 layoffs. He was responding to CodPeace who quoted research done before coronavirus struck.

The high and low employability and how proactive the individual is is a serious thing here.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein

Last edited by MusicChick; 13.05.2020 at 16:43.
Reply With Quote
  #9453  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 330
Groaned at 35 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 763 Times in 391 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Yes this could be the new normal for players in football matches

Well we've all been talking about the 'new normal' but what will the 'new normal' be when it comes to the return
of contact sports such as Football and Rugby ?
Well here's Mr Blobby wearing his own antiviral suit demonstrating the 'new football' suits which ( believe it or not )
could be a serious contender for safe contact sports as the lockdowns ease.

Video - Could Mr Blobby suits be the New Normal for Football ?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #9454  
Old 13.05.2020, 16:59
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,925
Groaned at 339 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 18,407 Times in 9,568 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I have no idea how I will get back to box...under the new normal.
Reply With Quote
  #9455  
Old 13.05.2020, 17:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,773
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,148 Times in 7,291 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I've always felt that inviting someone into your home to cook for them has a much more personal feel to it than sitting in a restaurant. It might be that a eating out avoids showing other people how you live at home.
Indeed. But it can work if you're meeting first for a coffee and a cake. I know, some people are terribly concerned because their house doesn't look "good" - not the right furniture, not tidy enough etc etc. That is of so little importance at the end of the day...I miss having people over, seriously. It's rather unpretentious food when cooked by me, much more elaborated when cooked by OH. But we have the permission to be imperfect, don't we.
Reply With Quote
  #9456  
Old 13.05.2020, 18:05
msmaddymax's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: other side of the pond
Posts: 175
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 77 Posts
msmaddymax has earned the respect of manymsmaddymax has earned the respect of manymsmaddymax has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
This is true. But many poor people - particularly in the U.S. - can't afford to eat nutritious foods. Cheap stuff isn't healthy but it fills the belly. When I was a broke college student, you could buy packets of ramen noodles for 10 cents. Today you can still buy a 48-pack at Costco for about $8.
I've never understood this statement 'people cannot afford to eat nutritious food.' They can, but it requires COOKING.

Where I live in the US, a tin of beans (wide variety) is under a buck. Same for tins of tomates. Frozen veg is a buck. Grains like pasta, rice, lentils, oats, dried beans etc are inexpensive, ranging from a buck to buck fifty for 16oz. A ton of produce isn't expensive either (onions, potatoes, kale, carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, citrus, bananas etc).

Perhaps the more accurate statement would be 'people cannot afford to eat pre-prepared nutrious food' or 'people either don't have the desire or time to cook nutritious food.'
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank msmaddymax for this useful post:
  #9457  
Old 13.05.2020, 18:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,918
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I've never understood this statement 'people cannot afford to eat nutritious food.' They can, but it requires COOKING.

Where I live in the US, a tin of beans (wide variety) is under a buck. Same for tins of tomates. Frozen veg is a buck. Grains like pasta, rice, lentils, oats, dried beans etc are inexpensive, ranging from a buck to buck fifty for 16oz. A ton of produce isn't expensive either (onions, potatoes, kale, carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, citrus, bananas etc).

Perhaps the more accurate statement would be 'people cannot afford to eat pre-prepared nutrious food' or 'people either don't have the desire or time to cook nutritious food.'
Yes of course they can afford to eat nutritious food. They are simply too brain washed by the fast food industry!!And too lazy!
Reply With Quote
  #9458  
Old 13.05.2020, 18:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 9,773
Groaned at 330 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 14,148 Times in 7,291 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That's of course true but also, people everywhere generally spend a smaller percentage of their income on food compared to what they used to.
That needs to change.
These are skills people need to re-learn, if they ever had them. I remember writing something nice about Jamie Oliver, not only because my cooking style is similar to his (learned a lot from him and many others of course btw) but also because he started that program in the UK schools, which apparently wasn't very successful. I think it was the British folk here who were most critical of him, him and the other chef - Blumenthal, whom most of you seem to hate with a passion (OH is his kind of cook)...
I don't think it was you btw, just thought at that time how true this is: nobody is a prophet in their own land.

Right...and now back to my fried rice, it's a thing kids love.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #9459  
Old 13.05.2020, 19:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That's your choice to interpret it in that way. It remains a true and valid point nonetheless. Especially in a country where approximately 30% of the population are obese.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52561757
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/930275
Tis your opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #9460  
Old 13.05.2020, 19:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
My friend also allows herself one 45min session per week to inhale whatever she feels like eating and eats only healthy stuff for the rest of the week.
That's no way to live your life. Constant denial? Yuck. Moderation and exercise.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0