Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1041  
Old 28.02.2020, 16:39
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,469
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Let me be clear: having COVID-19 is not a death sentence. It's a flu like condition that may cause death in a small percentage of the infected patients (around 7 to 9%). All the information is available on the media, hospitals and local government agencies.
Since you seem to know a lot, do you know where I can get information about which precautions to take for persons with pre-existing conditions like single ventricle heart/Fontan surgery and asplenia?

Cannot get through to the BAG hotline...

Thanks

Evalo
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank OSueco for this useful post:
  #1042  
Old 28.02.2020, 16:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Flew-like?
Reply With Quote
  #1043  
Old 28.02.2020, 16:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,503
Groaned at 978 Times in 687 Posts
Thanked 17,504 Times in 6,857 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Well guys I just asked my friend who is definitely a real doctor in CH (resident at a busy hospital) and quoted the above post from swissman to verify its validity. His reply was:

"Yeah i think there'll be many more cases within 1-2 weeks. I don't think that the insurance plays any role, but it's still flu season and the symptoms of sars cov 2 are just like having a flu. The problem is that many people have only very mild symptoms and the incubation time can be long. The mortality rate is still not very clear - supposedly 2-3 %, but it seems that for people <65 yrs it's less than 0.2 %. It seems dangerous for the elderly and polymorbid ones though. I'd recommend some reliable information https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...html#665204926"
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #1044  
Old 28.02.2020, 16:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 788
Groaned at 117 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 760 Times in 373 Posts
Noth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of manyNoth has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

One question I have: what happens to the bodies of the deceased from this virus? Are the families going to be allowed a funeral or does the body get cremated to prevent further infection risk? I haven't heard anyone mention that in the European media (I'm watching the X Files episode S02E22 "F. Emasculata" about an outbreak in a prison that goes awry after a pharma sends an infected package to a prisoner there, it's giving all kinds of thoughts on our coming predicament).

Also for those with beards, the CDC has news for you in the current circumstances:

https://3xnhi43vikn244hoyg160zl4-wpe...oronavirus.jpg

Last edited by Ace1; 28.02.2020 at 17:35. Reason: Picture was too big, so just left it as a link
Reply With Quote
  #1045  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
appcell has slipped a little
Re: Coronavirus

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz...story/17718321

There are not even enough masks for the medical staff...

But still here's my question: how do the masks work? What do the masks protect? I see the Japanese are wearing masks (in Japan, not sure if they do here) and surely the Chinese wear them. Is it an Asian belief?
Reply With Quote
  #1046  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:11
spaghetti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 189
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 117 Posts
spaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
One question I have: what happens to the bodies of the deceased from this virus? Are the families going to be allowed a funeral or does the body get cremated to prevent further infection risk? I haven't heard anyone mention that in the European media (I'm watching the X Files episode S02E22 "F. Emasculata" about an outbreak in a prison that goes awry after a pharma sends an infected package to a prisoner there, it's giving all kinds of thoughts on our coming predicament).

Also for those with beards, the CDC has news for you in the current circumstances:

https://3xnhi43vikn244hoyg160zl4-wpe...oronavirus.jpg
Not sure about europe as well but in china they cremate the dead bodies immediately, I heard not even chance to say goodbye
Reply With Quote
  #1047  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 412
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Harrie Nak has earned some respectHarrie Nak has earned some respect
Re: Coronavirus

Crap, Geneva car show and Microsoft Ignite The Tour both canceled. There go my plans for next week.
Reply With Quote
  #1048  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:12
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,381
Groaned at 349 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 12,401 Times in 5,959 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz...story/17718321

There are not even enough masks for the medical staff...

But still here's my question: how do the masks work? What do the masks protect? I see the Japanese are wearing masks (in Japan, not sure if they do here) and surely the Chinese wear them. Is it an Asian belief?
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...95-respirators


As an example.
Reply With Quote
  #1049  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz...story/17718321

There are not even enough masks for the medical staff...

But still here's my question: how do the masks work? What do the masks protect? I see the Japanese are wearing masks (in Japan, not sure if they do here) and surely the Chinese wear them. Is it an Asian belief?
The main reason to wear a mask is to prevent others from breathing in your own bad germs. Which is why medical staff wears masks, just to prevent you from getting more diseases when they treat you. If you are in a room with an infected person and there is only one mask, give it to the infected person.

Also they need to be used properly, touching the outside causes all that is on it to spread to your hands, they need to close properly your mouth and nose. And if somebody sneezes towards you, you just can get Corona through your eyes making the mask useless.

As said many times:

Avoid physical contact.
Sneeze in your elbow or a paper cloth.
Was your hands often and proper.
Avoid contact with stuff that others do touch like doorhandles, poles in the tram etc..
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1050  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,503
Groaned at 978 Times in 687 Posts
Thanked 17,504 Times in 6,857 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Crap, Geneva car show and Microsoft Ignite The Tour both canceled. There go my plans for next week.
All gatherings of 1000 or more people will be cancelled until minimum 15th March before being reassessed and extended if necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #1051  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:17
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 540
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 300 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

When the shit hits the fan I'm planning on wearing one of these - it'll cover all beard styles known to man.

Name:  stormtrooper.png
Views: 405
Size:  44.6 KB

And yes, I am a little short for a ...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank hairybadger for this useful post:
  #1052  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:17
spaghetti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 189
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 117 Posts
spaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/schweiz...story/17718321

There are not even enough masks for the medical staff...

But still here's my question: how do the masks work? What do the masks protect? I see the Japanese are wearing masks (in Japan, not sure if they do here) and surely the Chinese wear them. Is it an Asian belief?
it depends which type of masks you're talking about, there are different standards, of BFE, PFE and VFE levels (Bacterial-, particle-, viral- filtration efficiencies), some can filter smaller particles, some can't, surgical masks in normal european standards seem to have no VFE level protection... AND, most importantly, none of the masks cover your eyes.

I will still wear them however, blocking a little bit of bacteria is better than taking a virus shower, less stuff for me to fight off... AND it's a good way to remind myself not to touch my face.

medical experts please correct me if i'm wrong.

** oh and some biology students also once told me, it prevents more the infected(unknowingly, knowingly) from spreading to the others than the other way around, so I guess it's also doing the others a favor.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank spaghetti for this useful post:
  #1053  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
appcell has slipped a little
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
The main reason to wear a mask is to prevent others from breathing in your own bad germs. Which is why medical staff wears masks, just to prevent you from getting more diseases when they treat you. If you are in a room with an infected person and there is only one mask, give it to the infected person.

Also they need to be used properly, touching the outside causes all that is on it to spread to your hands, they need to close properly your mouth and nose. And if somebody sneezes towards you, you just can get Corona through your eyes making the mask useless.

As said many times:

Avoid physical contact.
Sneeze in your elbow or a paper cloth.
Was your hands often and proper.
Avoid contact with stuff that others do touch like doorhandles, poles in the tram etc..
Your explanation is appreciated, EdwinNL.
Other questions based on your info: if I and an infected person are in the same room, and we don't have any masks at all, will I get infected? If the infected person sneezes, will his/her armpit successfully catches all the droplets?

About the doctor wearing masks part: When treating the infected, do the doctors wear masks purely for protecting the patients from further diseases, or they do want to protect themselves?
Reply With Quote
  #1054  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:28
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,687
Groaned at 142 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,800 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

It's desperate times like these that drive one to silly superstitiousness.

Oh great god up in heaven please please don't cancel the Beethoven violin concerto performance at KKL.
Reply With Quote
  #1055  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
appcell has slipped a little
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
it depends which type of masks you're talking about, there are different standards, of BFE, PFE and VFE levels (Bacterial-, particle-, viral- filtration efficiencies), some can filter smaller particles, some can't, surgical masks in normal european standards seem to have no VFE level protection... AND, most importantly, none of the masks cover your eyes.

I will still wear them however, blocking a little bit of bacteria is better than taking a virus shower, less stuff for me to fight off... AND it's a good way to remind myself not to touch my face.

medical experts please correct me if i'm wrong.

** oh and some biology students also once told me, it prevents more the infected(unknowingly, knowingly) from spreading to the others than the other way around, so I guess it's also doing the others a favor.
...And you led me into the ocean of documents on masks. Thank you.
I remember in some news the journalists interview patients with masks and goggles on. To be honest, I'm a bit confused by all the info I see from East Asia, NA and Europe, especially when I fail to buy any mask from anywhere because people bought all of them when they claim the masks are not needed.
Reply With Quote
  #1056  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 901
Groaned at 84 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 1,192 Times in 581 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
It's desperate times like these that drive one to silly superstitiousness.

Oh great god up in heaven please please don't cancel the Beethoven violin concerto performance at KKL.
More than 1000 people as audience? Auto-Cancellation
Reply With Quote
  #1057  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:31
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 8,506
Groaned at 346 Times in 221 Posts
Thanked 14,209 Times in 6,227 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Your explanation is appreciated, EdwinNL.
Other questions based on your info: if I and an infected person are in the same room, and we don't have any masks at all, will I get infected? If the infected person sneezes, will his/her armpit successfully catches all the droplets?
There's no guarantee, but if they can avoid spraying droplets from their mouth or nose across the room and you avoid touching them or any surfaces they've touched/sneezed on, or disinfect your hands immediately afterwards, the chances of transmission are much lowered.

Quote:
View Post

About the doctor wearing masks part: When treating the infected, do the doctors wear masks purely for protecting the patients from further diseases, or they do want to protect themselves?
The various types of masks were just explained up there ^^, including those that medical staff can use to protect themselves from exposure.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #1058  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:36
spaghetti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 189
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 117 Posts
spaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
...And you led me into the ocean of documents on masks. Thank you.
I remember in some news the journalists interview patients with masks and goggles on. To be honest, I'm a bit confused by all the info I see from East Asia, NA and Europe, especially when I fail to buy any mask from anywhere because people bought all of them when they claim the masks are not needed.
yea i get the confusion, doctors in hong kong say it's necessary to wear mask, newspapers here says no, governments from some asian countries says only wear them when you're sick or show symptoms, different answers everywhere

but one very important thing, if you're wearing mask, do it correctly, make sure to pinch that metal strip on your nose properly, do not drag it down your chin to eat and put it back up, just dispose and wear a new one or else you'll get the dirty side on your chin, do not wear it for too long as it won't work anymore when it's moist.. these kinda stuff.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank spaghetti for this useful post:
  #1059  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:37
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,837
Groaned at 270 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 18,179 Times in 7,306 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
it prevents more the infected(unknowingly, knowingly) from spreading to the others than the other way around, so I guess it's also doing the others a favor.
Yes, a mask on a patient prevents infection being spread from the infected person (see below for protection against viruses).
Quote:
View Post
Other questions based on your info: if I and an infected person are in the same room, and we don't have any masks at all, will I get infected? If the infected person sneezes, will his/her armpit successfully catches all the droplets?

About the doctor wearing masks part: When treating the infected, do the doctors wear masks purely for protecting the patients from further diseases, or they do want to protect themselves?
SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 (yes, COVID-19 is not a virus, just as AIDS is not) has an R0 of about 2. What that means is that it's about twice as contagious (easily spread) as the most common human influenzavirus. So if an infected person and you are in the same room, you have a good chance of catching the SARS-CoV-2 virus, especially if the infected person sneezes (and no, his/her armpit (I guess you mean elbow, unless the patient is a contortionist) won't catch all the droplets of the sneeze).

Doctors wear masks primarily to protect immune-compromised patients from catching viruses or bacteria they (the doctors) may have. Surgical masks are assessed (or "measured") for their effectiveness in filtering from the inside to the outside. They get wet from exhaled breath quite quickly, at which point they become a virus trap that could infect the wearer.

Respirators, on the other hand, are graded on their effectiveness in filtering from the outside in. These protect the wearer from particles of varying fineness, even down to viruses. For that level of protection, the respirator needs to be graded FFP2 (high filtering) or FFP3 (the maximum). An example of an FFP2 respirator is 3M's N95.

The masks you see in photographs of people walking around in Asian cities are largely useless for preventing viral infection of the wearer.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #1060  
Old 28.02.2020, 17:43
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,194
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 2,999 Times in 834 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

https://www.ghi.ch/le-journal/la-une...e-fait-tousser

Article in french. In brief..

An 86 year old Genevois returned from China and developed flu-like symptoms.

When he called 144, he was told that he needed to be tested at hospital. He proposed to take the bus, which was understandably not well-received.

An ambulance was dispatched and men in white suits knocked on his door to escort him to hospital.

Thankfully, he was not suffering from coronavirus.

He was feeling sick after receiving a bill for the ambulance, which is only partially reimbursable. His trip to the hospital cost around half of his monthly pension.

The elderly are vulnerable in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
FunnyBone
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0