Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11161  
Old 24.07.2020, 12:07
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Novartis allows working from home model for unlimited time after Corona

https://www.cdt.ch/onthespot/novarti...odel-CM2970613

This is an interesting development. The campus supports a lot of businesses, not to mention the restaurants and bars during the week.
If Roche announces the same, that's not great for the local economy.


Will this mean people moving to more scenic locations, or even 'back home'? and trying to spin the plates with the Swiss cotract/permit/salary against the local increased costs (tax, social provision etc).
Or will it all blow over and most people will return to 3 or more days in the office?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #11162  
Old 24.07.2020, 12:10
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,457
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,580 Times in 4,287 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Figures from www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ show that as of last night (23 July 2020):

Switzerland - population 8,657,326 total deaths from Covid-19 1,969 or 0.0227%...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #11163  
Old 24.07.2020, 13:00
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

I was not sure if I should post this here in in the circumcision thread
Attached Thumbnails
coronavirus-screenshot-2020-07-24-12.00.06.png  
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11164  
Old 24.07.2020, 13:10
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Figures from www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ show that as of last night (23 July 2020):

Switzerland - population 8,657,326 total deaths from Covid-19 1,969 or 0.0227%...

Those are odds I like.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #11165  
Old 24.07.2020, 13:39
gaburko's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: BL
Posts: 1,091
Groaned at 164 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Or will it all blow over and most people will return to 3 or more days in the office?
I happen to be in one of those companies in Basel. There's serious discussion internally that the lockdown and home office works in the short-term only, but is detrimental to the long-term as it tends to diminish team work into a transactional affair with no human interaction. So, at least we, are preparing for a "future" in which there will be work from a remote location, but there's expectation that team-members will be at least 2-3 days in the office to interact. Zoom can only do so much. But it's actually a surprisingly deep and good discussion that we're involved in right now and I can tell you that it's a rare thing to see senior managers genuinely concerned about human interactions. I'm, for the time being, relatively positive.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank gaburko for this useful post:
  #11166  
Old 24.07.2020, 14:12
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,332
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I happen to be in one of those companies in Basel. There's serious discussion internally that the lockdown and home office works in the short-term only, but is detrimental to the long-term as it tends to diminish team work into a transactional affair with no human interaction. So, at least we, are preparing for a "future" in which there will be work from a remote location, but there's expectation that team-members will be at least 2-3 days in the office to interact. Zoom can only do so much. But it's actually a surprisingly deep and good discussion that we're involved in right now and I can tell you that it's a rare thing to see senior managers genuinely concerned about human interactions. I'm, for the time being, relatively positive.
+1

I've said from the beginning that just because you can doesn't mean you should. For my work, sure it all was somehow possible - but at much less efficiency. And it just about worked in the absence of an alternative (or the perception of no alternative). But companies are not just physical places to work, but social systems - and humans are social beings. Interaction, combined brainpower and creative work out of mutual brainstorming is required for a lot of the work I personally do and it's been painfully inefficient to do our jobs well in the last few months (not to mention the resulting ridiculous hours because of the inefficiency). My team has every intention to go back and many already have - we were always flexible in when and where we work and also always geographically dispersed across three continents, so essentially, I expect more or less to go back to the same as it was before, maybe with some people now coming in 3 instead of 4 days or 2 instead of 3, but that's about it. Most conversations I hear from other departments are pretty much along the same lines.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #11167  
Old 24.07.2020, 14:38
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Plus the spectre of WFH = Work From Home becoming WFH = Work From Hyderabad

Last edited by CodPeace; 24.07.2020 at 14:39. Reason: no strikethrough
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #11168  
Old 24.07.2020, 19:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Studies suggest that children are bad transmitters of the virus. (Example study below)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ch-study-shows....
So far roughly 14 kids out of 100 aged from 9 to 13 tested positive for Corvid from the Parpan camp. No doubt more to come in the next days. Seems they do get it after all. 28 positive tests so far in total, I presume the remainder are the supervisors and teachers.

2 hospitalisations - although no word on the age of those.

Now what was that about kids not transmitting?

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/corona-...t-792864358947
Reply With Quote
  #11169  
Old 24.07.2020, 20:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 3,043
Groaned at 231 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,169 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Maybe (well almost definitely) I'm a miserable bastard but the social aspect of working in an office was about the worst part for me. I've been working from home almost exclusively for the last 4 or so years now and it was the best thing I've ever done.

These people I work with are just exactly that. They just happened to get a job in the same department or on the same project as me. Doesn't mean I'm obliged to like them or to get along with them. We have face to face meetings a few times per years and I very much dread them.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #11170  
Old 24.07.2020, 20:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 1,139
Groaned at 39 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,033 Times in 519 Posts
TinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Now what was that about kids not transmitting?

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/corona-...t-792864358947
It's a known fact that kids close to 10 and older can transmit this virus. It's just that transmition among kids doesn't play crucial role in spreading the epidemy (contrary to flu). However, if many teachers from the camp are ill as well, the kids
could have caught virus from them.
Reply With Quote
  #11171  
Old 24.07.2020, 20:23
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 2,593
Groaned at 131 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 4,713 Times in 1,878 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Maybe (well almost definitely) I'm a miserable bastard but the social aspect of working in an office was about the worst part for me. I've been working from home almost exclusively for the last 4 or so years now and it was the best thing I've ever done.

These people I work with are just exactly that. They just happened to get a job in the same department or on the same project as me. Doesn't mean I'm obliged to like them or to get along with them. We have face to face meetings a few times per years and I very much dread them.
Wow.

What line of business are you in?
Reply With Quote
  #11172  
Old 24.07.2020, 20:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 3,043
Groaned at 231 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,169 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
It's a known fact that kids close to 10 and older can transmit this virus. It's just that transmition among kids doesn't play crucial role in spreading the epidemy (contrary to flu). However, if many teachers from the camp are ill as well, the kids
could have caught virus from them.
I think Baboon was referring to Koch saying earlier that young children are not infected and do not transmit the virus
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #11173  
Old 24.07.2020, 20:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 791
Groaned at 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 864 Times in 446 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Those are odds I like.
Statistics: Looks like covid will be a significant cause of death in 2020:

https://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/en/home.../specific.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KiwiSteve for this useful post:
  #11174  
Old 24.07.2020, 21:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,518
Groaned at 500 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 12,618 Times in 6,555 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
So far roughly 14 kids out of 100 aged from 9 to 13 tested positive for Corvid from the Parpan camp. No doubt more to come in the next days. Seems they do get it after all. 28 positive tests so far in total, I presume the remainder are the supervisors and teachers.

2 hospitalisations - although no word on the age of those.

Now what was that about kids not transmitting?

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/corona-...t-792864358947
When playing an instrument you need to take deap breaths and hold the air in for a relatively long time. That reminds me of choirs, which are suspected to be super-infectuous during practice. Breathing out differs though.
Reply With Quote
  #11175  
Old 24.07.2020, 22:05
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,338
Groaned at 571 Times in 447 Posts
Thanked 24,343 Times in 9,802 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
When playing an instrument you need to take deap breaths and hold the air in for a relatively long time. That reminds me of choirs, which are suspected to be super-infectuous during practice. Breathing out differs though.
It could additionally be that they are using crowded, shared sanitary facilities and if they are anything like my kids, hygiene is low down on their priorities.
Reply With Quote
  #11176  
Old 25.07.2020, 00:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 1,139
Groaned at 39 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,033 Times in 519 Posts
TinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I think Baboon was referring to Koch saying earlier that young children are not infected and do not transmit the virus
Koch didn't say that they were not infected. There are many infected children from 0 to 9 in corona statistics. As for transmission, as far as I know, there are no confirmed cases of transmission from really young children, but the kids from 9 are not that young, and kids from 12 have to wear masks in public transport already, meaning that they can potentially infect someone.

Nobody said that there could not be any transmission in such camps, so it's up to parents to decide if they are ready to take the risk. You can catch the virus anywhere these days, and you obviously cannot keep your teenager locked at home during all summer holidays.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TinyK for this useful post:
  #11177  
Old 25.07.2020, 00:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 3,043
Groaned at 231 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,169 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Koch didn't say that they were not infected. There are many infected children from 0 to 9 in corona statistics. As for transmission, as far as I know, there are no confirmed cases of transmission from really young children, but the kids from 9 are not that young, and kids from 12 have to wear masks in public transport already, meaning that they can potentially infect someone.

Nobody said that there could not be any transmission in such camps, so it's up to parents to decide if they are ready to take the risk. You can catch the virus anywhere these days, and you obviously cannot keep your teenager locked at home during all summer holidays.
Not sure what you want me to say. It's exactly what he said

“Young children are not infected and do not transmit the virus,” he told reporters, referring to a study released this month as well as his conversations with Swiss health experts.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/2/2124163...it-switzerland
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #11178  
Old 25.07.2020, 01:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Koch didn't say that they were not infected.
(hope you can read German)

https://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/schwe...rage-137678629

He did say that once in April, the man was imho proper for his function, but not perfect (As is nobody)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #11179  
Old 25.07.2020, 11:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,446
Groaned at 527 Times in 444 Posts
Thanked 20,482 Times in 10,770 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
(hope you can read German)

https://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/schwe...rage-137678629

He did say that once in April, the man was imho proper for his function, but not perfect (As is nobody)
So an opinion based on anecdotal evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #11180  
Old 26.07.2020, 00:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 1,139
Groaned at 39 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,033 Times in 519 Posts
TinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputationTinyK has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
He did say that once in April, the man was imho proper for his function, but not perfect (As is nobody)
Thanks. That's why I don't remember it: I usually remember what people meant rather than what they said. And what he really meant could be read later in the article.

Anyway, I don't understand why do some people have issues about Koch's words or decisions related to kids. Did the fact that he allowed kids to hug their grandparents increase the number of cases among old people? Did reopening of the schools & KiGa's caused the outbreak of the virus among kids? AFAIK, there are still no evidence about small kids passing virus to others, inspite of Drosten's study about similar amount of virus in the mucous of kids and adults. On the other hand, Koch said that the drivers of the epidemic are young adults and that is exactly what we see now with reopening of the clubs. So, wasn't he right after all?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TinyK for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (4 members and 4 guests)
Village Idiot, alefsin
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 276 Today 09:25
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 14:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 10:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 19:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 12:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0